This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top01-25-2011 10:39:36 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: Subcultures

Azure wrote:

Speaking of this thread, I ran into a friend at her job today. She called me anime girl. I was kind of disappoint in myself. :< Do not want be lumped with weeaboos, plz.

Weeaboos? Isn't that /b/tard for anime freak?

#27 | Back to Top01-25-2011 10:55:26 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Tamago wrote:

Azure wrote:

Speaking of this thread, I ran into a friend at her job today. She called me anime girl. I was kind of disappoint in myself. :< Do not want be lumped with weeaboos, plz.

I've always figured weeaboos to be those silly kids who think that saying "Baka!" and glomping their friends while eating Pocky makes them Japanese. And that even though they don't know the first thing about the Japanese language, they believe with firm conviction that fansubs/scanlations are superior to licensed anime and manga releases in every way, especially because the fansubs/scanlations are supposedly translated better every single time and without exception, which they know to be true regardless of the fact that they have absolutely no fluency in the language.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (01-25-2011 10:56:50 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#28 | Back to Top01-26-2011 12:08:43 AM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Tamago wrote:

Azure wrote:

I've always figured weeaboos to be those silly kids who think that saying "Baka!" and glomping their friends while eating Pocky makes them Japanese. And that even though they don't know the first thing about the Japanese language, they believe with firm conviction that fansubs/scanlations are superior to licensed anime and manga releases in every way, especially because the fansubs/scanlations are supposedly translated better every single time and without exception, which they know to be true regardless of the fact that they have absolutely no fluency in the language.

It's woefully misinformed elitism/a rather disturbing obsession with japanese (and now korean) culture dispite knowing very very little. In short they're annoying pinheads who the rest of us look bad. I dont think your friend meant it in that regard IBB, I'm thinking you're just the "go to" girl for anime with her cirlce of friends.

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#29 | Back to Top01-26-2011 10:17:29 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Epee_724 wrote:

It's woefully misinformed elitism/a rather disturbing obsession with japanese (and now korean) culture dispite knowing very very little. In short they're annoying pinheads who the rest of us look bad. I dont think your friend meant it in that regard IBB, I'm thinking you're just the "go to" girl for anime with her cirlce of friends.

I agree with you, Epee. I don't think that Azure was being called a weeaboo either, but Tamago asked about the term, and I was giving the definition as I understood it. Nothing more. emot-smile

But yeah, being tagged a weeaboo would not be a pleasant thing at all.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#30 | Back to Top01-26-2011 01:04:10 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Going by associations: Gamer/anime culture, Christian culture, LGBT culture (more and more), nerd culture, writer culture, musician culture.

#31 | Back to Top01-26-2011 03:01:57 PM

Azure
High Tripper
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Epee_724 wrote:

I agree with you, Epee. I don't think that Azure was being called a weeaboo either, but Tamago asked about the term, and I was giving the definition as I understood it. Nothing more. emot-smile

Yeah, y'all are pretty much right. Weeaboo = wapanese. Cannot form a single sentence in English or Japanese, use a hideous sounding mixture of both, brag about how "otaku" they are, kiss Japan's ass in the hopes that the glorious motherland of animu and mango might assimilate them. Despite the fact that Japan in reality is quite far from what we see in anime and manga. God forbid you actually tell them like it is that Japan is not only a very expensive place to live, but it's also difficult for foreigners to move there for a variety of reasons. Hell, it's even hard for the Japanese themselves to live there, with all the social pressure.

I know I'm not one, but when I think "anime girl", I think weeaboos. I might be a filthy fujyoshi but I realize that I am irrevocably caucasian and nothing will change that. Nor do I particularly feel any need to change that. Sometimes me and a few of my close friends throw the term around to joke with eachother, but I really don't like to think of myself as one. I was, actually. A few years back. Maybe two or three. But no moar! emot-gonk The days of shame are behind me!

@Spoon-san: :U Totally forgot the LGBT spectrum. Among a few others, I'm one of the LGBT poster children of my school. XD The lulzy awkward one that play-flirts with anyone.

Last edited by Azure (01-26-2011 03:03:09 PM)

Indefinite. Empty. Mythos & Eternity

#32 | Back to Top01-26-2011 06:27:04 PM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Epee_724 wrote:

I hadn't notice I wrote in the wrong name, sorry about that. emot-rolleyes Guess I got lost midway through my own interpretation of the word.

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#33 | Back to Top01-26-2011 09:06:30 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Azure & IBB: In other words, weeaboos are the straw anime otakus.

#34 | Back to Top01-29-2011 08:53:34 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Tamago wrote:

Azure & IBB: In other words, weeaboos are the straw anime otakus.

Yup. /b/ usually also takes this to mean you are worryingly/pathologically obsessed. I thinking the actual phrase comes from what was substituted when 'Wapanese' was filtered out for a bit.

Edit: Damn, almost missed the 'I am disapoint' bit in the original post. Well played. emot-tongue

Guess I should add /b/tard to my wee list of subcultures. As well as chapstick lesbian. :3 So that's like, dykey geek-punk troll?

Last edited by Bluesky (01-29-2011 08:55:29 AM)

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#35 | Back to Top01-29-2011 10:26:34 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

How are chapstick lesbians different from lipstick lesbians?

Also would it be better to call diesel dykes dipstick lesbians instead?

#36 | Back to Top02-02-2011 01:46:10 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Tamago wrote:

Chapsticks : kind of butch, but not incredibly so. Lipsticks are the ones you mistake for straight gals, apparently. lol dipstick dykes. Love it.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#37 | Back to Top02-15-2011 03:47:04 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Bluesky wrote:

Tamago wrote:

Chapsticks : kind of butch, but not incredibly so. Lipsticks are the ones you mistake for straight gals, apparently. lol dipstick dykes. Love it.

Danke and also how about joystick lesbians for those who love video games.

Board footer