This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-27-2015 06:38:34 PM

Sweetgm2
Juri Jeerer

What are your favorite canon homosexual/lesbian pairings

From manga/anime:

I have to say Shion and Nezumi of No 6

From cartoons

Asami and Korra of the Legend of Korra

#2 | Back to Top04-28-2015 12:40:14 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Re: What are your favorite canon homosexual/lesbian pairings

Canon pairings? That's no fun. emot-gonk

Well, if you insist...

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/maxresdefault_zpstfr3nimk.jpg~original
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/S1e8_cops_planning_vacation_zpsvzdmgvym.png~original
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/S1e6_blubbs_and_durland_zpsk9k9evtz.png~original

I'm also partial to Pearl x Rose Quartz...

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#3 | Back to Top04-30-2015 11:56:06 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

FIRST and for MOST all time favourite:
No other than the 百合界のカリスマ
HaruMichi from sailor moon
http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/95734a22jw1e4fjmfk5rmj20e80aomxx.jpg

Others:
Amane x Hikari from strawberry panic

https://41.media.tumblr.com/9384eaf9ccd6127f35e568150830d367/tumblr_nha1w2F1Wf1st9166o4_500.jpg

Oscar sama x Rosalie from berubara

http://stat.ameba.jp/user_images/20120428/21/1995toko/13/44/j/o0450045011941392546.jpg

Ran and Sei from Hana no kishi
http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m630/hty_previews/Hana%20no%20Kishi/chapter181.jpg

まずここでこのオスカル・フランソワの命をたってからにされるがよい!

#4 | Back to Top04-30-2015 12:12:47 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Haruka/Michiru is my favorite lesbian couple as well. I love them as individuals and as a couple so it works on all fronts for me.

As for male couples, the list would be too long but I'll try to narrow it down to:

Fujio/Yamazaki from Koi ga Bokura Wo Yurusu Hani
Imagase/Kyouchi from The Cornered Mouse Dreams of Cheese
Togawa/Shima from Doushitemo Furetakunai
Hikaru/ *someone decent, please!* from the Rules universe (no, not Yuki).

And a favorite that is so full of all things wrong,

Zera/Jaibo from Litchi Hikari Club

Last edited by Nocturnalux (04-30-2015 12:13:26 PM)

#5 | Back to Top04-30-2015 10:37:57 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I'm totally in love with Dee and Randy from Fake again, lately. They're so cute!

And, Dee once totally saved Randy from being murdered by a racist hotel manage by driving his motorcycle through a window and into the guy's face. That, gents and ladies, is real love.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#6 | Back to Top05-01-2015 12:04:33 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

Yep Haruka and Michiru are amazing characters on their own and an amazing couple when together

I would like to elaborate a bit for my last 2 favourite couples
they are one sided, for most part, OScar though do realizes Rosalie's feelings
as for Ran and Sei, this is debate between the fans of the manga because there was never a clear answer, only hinted things
Ran does love a guy in the manga, but she puts her job (of protecting Sei) above all, Sei shows a big amount of emotions towards Ran (in my eyes those are deep love) but because the mangaka has only written "Straight" romance before that manga, and because there is Rei (a guy) character in story most fans say how Sei is totally in love with him (because they are haaaawwwttt and their names rhyme *headdesk*)
Ran is oblivious of Sei's feelings, and Sei doesn't say anything because she knows that Ran will see it as duty to reply those feelings, Sei cares deeply for Ran and she wants her happy even if that means to let Ran love someone other than her.
I had made a filled with spoilers post on manga fox long time ago about Sei's love, if anyone is interested to read the post of the manga it's over there
http://forums.mangafox.me/threads/43687 … iler-alert

if you want to avoid spoilers, this is the short version of my thoughts and questions

Sei has been a very emotional character all through this manga and as proved above almost always when Ran is the source of the emotions.

Sei shows emotion for Rei, for one or two pages and that's it. What I don't get is why people reject completely the idea of Sei loving Ran only because Ran is a girl, even though her emotions are shown all through the manga.
And when Rei comes in the picture, based on ONE moment in the manga, that Sei doesn't even answer clearly, ppl think it's clear that she is in love with him. WHY? (<--that's my only question)

^LOL yep I'm angry xD

Last edited by Karuka (05-01-2015 12:07:16 AM)

#7 | Back to Top05-01-2015 09:17:41 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

I'm totally in love with Dee and Randy from Fake again, lately. They're so cute!

And, Dee once totally saved Randy from being murdered by a racist hotel manage by driving his motorcycle through a window and into the guy's face. That, gents and ladies, is real love.

Yes! Dee and Ryo were the first real yaoi couple I shipped. I also love Hasunuma/Mistuo from Eerie Queerie and Aaron/Eric from The Walking Dead.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#8 | Back to Top05-01-2015 04:51:56 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I know I am in absolute minority here but I honestly never really liked Haruka x Michiru as a couple, or their individual personalities all that much...like I respect them as one of the great canon lesbian pairing of all time and I get why people adore them, but personally, they just don't do much for me.

Nocturnalux wrote:

etc-love One of my absolute favorites. I read this one from time to time.

Ok I am really REALLY am in love with Hidaka Shoko, and the main pairings in Hana wa Sakuka (Sakurai x Youichi) and Yuuutsu no Asa (Akihito x Katsuragi) are definitely up there in my faves.

Koisuru Bokkun has a fave humorous pairing of mine as well, Morinaga x Souichi...they're just like, two awful awful human beings who truly deserve each other. school-devil

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#9 | Back to Top05-02-2015 09:10:22 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

YamPuff wrote:

I know I am in absolute minority here but I honestly never really liked Haruka x Michiru as a couple, or their individual personalities all that much...like I respect them as one of the great canon lesbian pairing of all time and I get why people adore them, but personally, they just don't do much for me.

vital question: is your opinion based on the original Japanese material, or is it formed from any dub version perspective?

I'm asking that because any and every dub version of them pretty much destroyed them as characters (and I mean every dub not just the English one).

so as long as your opinion is based completely on the original material then no issue at all, not everyone will like them of course, they are characters who appeal to many, but not to everyone, it is only natural emot-smile

and from my experience with fanfiction, these two are hugely misunderstood, which is very sad, a great amount of fanfics drop into an out of character interpretation of them.

Last edited by Karuka (05-02-2015 09:11:32 AM)

#10 | Back to Top05-02-2015 01:08:05 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

YamPuff wrote:

Nocturnalux wrote:

Ok I am really REALLY am in love with Hidaka Shoko, and the main pairings in Hana wa Sakuka (Sakurai x Youichi) and Yuuutsu no Asa (Akihito x Katsuragi) are definitely up there in my faves.

Koisuru Bokkun has a fave humorous pairing of mine as well, Morinaga x Souichi...they're just like, two awful awful human beings who truly deserve each other. school-devil

The Cornered Mouse has a special place in my heart for being one of the first manga I ever read in the original.

Interesting, I never thought of Morinaga as a bad person as much as a victim. Having to deal with Shouichi is not easy and his homophobia becomes even more violent once his little brother marries a guy in the States. Shouichi goes full on abusive and foaming at the mouth and god knows it takes  a long, long time until he becomes more or less bearable. Morinaga has been putting up with all this for years, anyone else would have snapped or walked away at some point. If anything Morinaga strikes me as a too patient fellow who occasionally loses his temper after constant provocation.

About Haruka/Michiru, the Portuguese dub also did a number on them but I wouldn't be too surprised if it was simply a matter of misunderstanding the characters instead of deliberate distortion. After all, this dub also managed to change Luna's gender for absolutely no reason I can think of. Fortunately they had enough sense to change Artemis into a girl when he was introduced otherwise it would have made future developments very difficult to explain.

I've been meaning to read Hana no kishi for a while now, I'll give it priority now.

#11 | Back to Top05-03-2015 12:19:29 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

Nocturnalux wrote:

I've been meaning to read Hana no kishi for a while now, I'll give it priority now.

oh please do, besides any yuri themes, etc it is still a beautiful story, with 2 strong female protagonists, and beautiful artwork

#12 | Back to Top05-03-2015 05:09:50 AM

Gaston
Mikage Mistruster
Website

Haruka x Michiru
Juri x Shiori
Hazumu x Tomari

Proud Juri x Shiori, Nanami x Tsuwabuki and Utena x Wakaba fan

#13 | Back to Top05-03-2015 06:33:21 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Nocturnalux wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

Nocturnalux wrote:

The Cornered Mouse has a special place in my heart for being one of the first manga I ever read in the original.

Interesting, I never thought of Morinaga as a bad person as much as a victim. Having to deal with Shouichi is not easy and his homophobia becomes even more violent once his little brother marries a guy in the States. Shouichi goes full on abusive and foaming at the mouth and god knows it takes  a long, long time until he becomes more or less bearable. Morinaga has been putting up with all this for years, anyone else would have snapped or walked away at some point. If anything Morinaga strikes me as a too patient fellow who occasionally loses his temper after constant provocation.

About Haruka/Michiru, the Portuguese dub also did a number on them but I wouldn't be too surprised if it was simply a matter of misunderstanding the characters instead of deliberate distortion. After all, this dub also managed to change Luna's gender for absolutely no reason I can think of. Fortunately they had enough sense to change Artemis into a girl when he was introduced otherwise it would have made future developments very difficult to explain.

I'm talking about the original Japanese language anime (huge obsessive Sailor Moon fan here). I just don't really like them on a personal level.

EDIT: I actually was thinking about it today. Bear in mind I last re-watched Sailor Moon some years ago so I might get some details wrong. I suppose most people are familiar with them from season S, where they play anti-heroes, you don't know if they're good or bad or even who they are till much later in the season. I suppose I like them better during this season. My favorite season of Sailor Moon is Stars, which was never dubbed & brought to the states like the other seasons, I guess my dislike of them stems from this season in some ways. I don't like how they treat Sailor Moon. I think after S they should treat her with more respect, in fact I think she earned it. And iirc in the manga they follow her as their princess. But in the anime they insist on fighting alone. And they fail, ultimately. I don't like how they don't respect Usagi enough to believe in her trust for the Sailor Stars or their indifference to the fact that the Stars are on their own mission. What I like about Tuxedo Mask is his complete faith in Usagi and his trust in her. I don't believe that Usagi has ever been wrong when it comes to trusting her heart to believe in someone. Their attitude of 'shut up and do nothing while we protect you' does annoy me. And that's why, imo, it is the Stars who are the only ones not killed and able to stand by Usagi till the end, because they believed in their princess. And stuff. But like I said, I know why they're popular and they're great characters, just they don't appeal to me.

When it comes to Morinaga x Souichi, for me, neither is the victim because both of them are awful to each other in some way, which is what I love about the relationship and makes it really funny to me. Neither of them have to stay with each other, both are free to leave at any time. The way their put up with eachothers shit (Morinaga's phsyical and verbal aggression and Souichi's unwanted sexual advances and clinginess) proves to me that their love is the real thing, Yuri Kuma Bear style. cool

Last edited by YamPuff (05-03-2015 11:05:56 AM)

#14 | Back to Top05-05-2015 12:19:39 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

YamPuff wrote:

I'm talking about the original Japanese language anime (huge obsessive Sailor Moon fan here). I just don't really like them on a personal level.

EDIT: I actually was thinking about it today. Bear in mind I last re-watched Sailor Moon some years ago so I might get some details wrong. I suppose most people are familiar with them from season S, where they play anti-heroes, you don't know if they're good or bad or even who they are till much later in the season. I suppose I like them better during this season. My favorite season of Sailor Moon is Stars, which was never dubbed & brought to the states like the other seasons, I guess my dislike of them stems from this season in some ways. I don't like how they treat Sailor Moon. I think after S they should treat her with more respect, in fact I think she earned it. And iirc in the manga they follow her as their princess. But in the anime they insist on fighting alone. And they fail, ultimately. I don't like how they don't respect Usagi enough to believe in her trust for the Sailor Stars or their indifference to the fact that the Stars are on their own mission. What I like about Tuxedo Mask is his complete faith in Usagi and his trust in her. I don't believe that Usagi has ever been wrong when it comes to trusting her heart to believe in someone. Their attitude of 'shut up and do nothing while we protect you' does annoy me. And that's why, imo, it is the Stars who are the only ones not killed and able to stand by Usagi till the end, because they believed in their princess. And stuff. But like I said, I know why they're popular and they're great characters, just they don't appeal to me.

Oh definitely that attitude is a turn off!
knowing their story though and their duty which is different than the inners (stars also lived with Kakyuu so they are similar with inners)
outers were isolated, and never had much interactions with the princess, so they don't really know Usagi well, which is most probably why they act that way, doing things alone
I think the musicals did a terrific job to capture exactly their emotions at the time of betrayal and then their desperate attack to Galaxia
https://youtu.be/zVAYsvU_9nA?t=3m5s

in the manga, it is a more silly antagonistic reason that they dont like the 3lights, while in the anime they have more time to develop and go one stape further into senshi business. Also they really do misunderstand Usagi's feelings, who sees Seiya as a friend, but because Seiya has feelings they think that Usagi has too, and nobody really knows what happened to Mamochan. so in the end is a use mess.

I don't find them antiheroes at all, just a kind of ruthless fighters.
In the anime in the 3rd seasons they were indeed rude to Usagi until the end, in the manga once Ami blows their cover in Mugen academy they finally talk about their mission since there is no more reason to hide (including Haruka's gender, since after that moment she is not wearing man's clothes in public anymore)

oh yeah and the reason they do not believe in Usagi's opinion is because Usagi (in the anime) pretty much gave the grail to the enemy and "condemned" the planet to destruction, she would friend anybody(which she actually does she embraces all the enemies) and if she was not a goddess she really wouldn't have returned the world back to life, but as I said the outers doubt her because they dont know her well ,they don't live with her like the inners

#15 | Back to Top05-05-2015 04:34:56 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I see Haruka and Michiru as adult characters stuck in a show that for all its dark content still panders to child-logic. They know that at times sacrifices need be made and not just so of oneself, the inners and Usagi are always very happy to give up their lives if need be, but that collateral damage cannot be helped. I know that speaking of realism in a magical girl anime is almost irrational but Haruka and Michiru strike me as realists nonetheless, it's not that they enjoy being mean or aloof but that they understand that extreme situations require extreme deeds.

As for their attitude toward Usagi, I actually like it. I fully recognize my bias in that I never liked Usagi, she starts off absolutely insufferable and becomes decent but she is not a character who ever resonated with me. A lot of Usagi's actions only work out for the better because the show re-cons itself in order to make sure that it is so since she is the main character after all. Usagi just so happens to be justified by the mandatory Deux Ex Machina that renders Haruka and Michiru almost useless but if not for that their point of view would be acknowledged as at least valid. Loyalty to Usagi at all costs may be praised in-universe but it often strikes me as less than wise on many an occasion.

It also tends to make everyone more or less the same. The more Usagi'd the Inners become the less unique each of them comes across, in the end they are pleading with her *not* to kill herself even if it would save the universe as we know it. I get it, nakama are super special and whatnot but it's still shoujo thinking at its finest.

Haruka and Michiru do eventually side with Usagi as well but they never seem to lose their individuality the same way the Inners do. They have their very deep relationship aside from Usagi and as such come across as much more rounded people who may join forces with Moon but do not gravitate around her 24/7. They are bringers of harsh truth but they live by their own code. I too would not not consider them antiheroes but as girls who were forced into growing up and fight. Their ability to take action on their own makes them much more relatable than most of the cast, too.

I wish they had their own spin-off.

@Yampuff, the way you see the couple from Koisuru Bokkun is how I view the couple from The Cornered Mouse. Imagase can be nothing short of evil and he enjoys manipulating Kyouchi more than he should. As for Kyouichi he is such a pushoever and a chronical cheater who ends up hurting every single one around him out of his indecisive nature. I love them together but they are almost equably bad, Imagase being slightly worse.

#16 | Back to Top05-05-2015 05:26:19 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I think, magical items and transformation sequences notwithstanding, that Haruka and Michiru don't realize that they're in a magical girl anime. We as the audience know that Usagi will always come out on top (whether we like her or not) and that the Power of Friendship will win the day. But they don't. As far as they know, they're soldiers fighting a bunch of cosmic horrors that are hell-bent on destroying the Earth. As such their reaction to their situation is perfectly understandable.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#17 | Back to Top05-06-2015 12:01:23 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

yep, I wouldn't say exactly adults but indeed mature beyond their age, if one stops and thinks they are just 16 lol

I think ShatteredMirror and it best they are soldiers fighting enemies
and that for millenia
I do find the musicals to have the best approach of their isolation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVePN-mtlAc

they love Usagi, she is their light, the only reason they can cope (though finding each other also helped with coping)

I remember in S season when the inners, are stuck in Hotaru's house with a crazy daimon and when they make it out Haruka throws some "pffft" kind of comment and Michiru says to Pluto "Haruka is the one who believes in sailor moon the most, despite her attitude)
so I can't really put a word in their attitude, they are like we love you we trust you but we have seen so much ugliness that we dont want you to fight it yourself so we will force our protection on you
or something like that emot-tongue

Last edited by Karuka (05-06-2015 12:01:59 AM)

#18 | Back to Top05-06-2015 01:02:41 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Kita Konno only did a few short comics with Miwa and Moriya, to my knowledge, but they're divine. In the Afternoon is something like a perfect comic and the two girls are so sweet it breaks open my heart just to see them look at each other.

And, just for the record, I like dub Haruka and Michiru well enough. Maybe it helps my boyfriend around that time would sing the Patty Duke theme every time they'd show up, and lightened me to it, but I dunno, in terms of personalities, I don't see it as a ruining of them so much as just a different version.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#19 | Back to Top05-06-2015 11:35:02 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I would say Mokou/Keine and Marisa/Alice from Touhou but it's only canon subtext because Touhou isn't about shipping really.
But I still ship so many Touhous because the doujinshi and the fandom makes it super easy.

Latest ships: all the Yurikuma ships. lol

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#20 | Back to Top05-06-2015 10:16:45 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I think, magical items and transformation sequences notwithstanding, that Haruka and Michiru don't realize that they're in a magical girl anime. We as the audience know that Usagi will always come out on top (whether we like her or not) and that the Power of Friendship will win the day. But they don't. As far as they know, they're soldiers fighting a bunch of cosmic horrors that are hell-bent on destroying the Earth. As such their reaction to their situation is perfectly understandable.

This pretty much sums up how I see Haruka and Michiru. They actually are soldiers as opposed to the Inner who do fight but who remain in essence normal girls.
It'd be great to see Haruka and Michiru in something like Madoka.

And I just started Hana no Kishi and what can I say other that it is absolutely wonderful. Usually I am not much of a shoujo fan but this won me over completely. There are of course the many, many Utena parallels: the entire premise is that of a crossdressing girl who fights sword duels in a special arena behind this massive school, for the sake of the princess-like girl who she serves as a knight.

But it is still unique and does not come across as knock-off at all. As for the Ran/Sei relationship, I only read the first volume so far but I can easily see it. At times I almost wish Ran actually was a boy so that I could slash him with Ibara as I heart BL but she is an amazing character in her own right.
Sei is not the typical shoujo heroine either, she is very capable. No constant weeping and whining here which is very refreshing. 

So thank you so thanks for the rec, Karuka emot-keke

#21 | Back to Top05-07-2015 07:48:27 AM

Karuka
Electric Apocalypse

Nocturnalux wrote:

Sei is not the typical shoujo heroine either, she is very capable. No constant weeping and whining here which is very refreshing.

I will only say one thing about Sei (look at that it rhymed:P )
SHE IS A BAD ASS!!! wait for when she will...
I'm not going to say it until you finish it emot-tongue

and you are welcome

Last edited by Karuka (05-07-2015 07:50:06 AM)

#22 | Back to Top05-07-2015 11:57:51 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I can hardly wait to read more!

And speaking of lesbian couples and fighters, I really like the Loveless lesbian couple Yamato and Kouya. Given the very heavy BL tones of the manga they tend to be overlooked even though they are probably the most functional couple of the whole lot. In a world where relationships are disturbing almost by default and where abuse runs rife, they stand out as a dedicated couple whose devotion for each other is built on a very strong foundation. It's a shame they do not appear as much as they deserve a lot more attention.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/6ccb174163a866cfb56ff256ba9243ce/tumblr_inline_n1ssloi2V31rn7zim.jpg

#23 | Back to Top05-09-2015 03:37:45 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Yeah, Yamato/Kouya is awesome! It's a shame there aren't more yuri ships like that that are canon and non-fanservice-y. I also loved that they subverted [the dead lesbians trope at the end of their story arc].

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#24 | Back to Top05-10-2015 12:08:58 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Cecil Palmer and Carlos the Scientist from Welcome to Nightvale.

#25 | Back to Top05-13-2015 04:50:40 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Male Inquisitor and Dorian from Dragon Age: Inquisition. It's the only romance in the game that made sense, in my book. Helps that Dorian is one of the best characters BioWare churned out since they boomed in popularity, and maybe since ever.

Board footer