This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-31-2007 06:29:04 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Looking for advice

I've been working on this on and off for about a week, but I can't get it right.  I think I've got too much going on in this story, but I can't decide how to tighten it.  Anyway, here it is.

Auld Lang Syne

The din inside the bar was tremendous, forcing the four reunited companions to shout in order to be heard.  They didn't seem especially upset, but then, they hadn't been together since the same day one year ago.
    "She called me to tell me about Wakaba being pregnant again-"
    "Don't those two ever slow down?"
    "She called me and actually shouted into the phone-"
    "She didn't!"
    "Do you know?  Do you know?  I nearly hung up on her."
    "Now Juri, you know she's just high-strung because Eiko's in America.  She's coming back, what, Tuesday?"
    "So why should I have to deal with her hysterics?"
    "You know I talked to Tatsuya the other day?  He said he asked her how many more children she planned on having and she just said he was free to get that vasectomy anytime."
    "I should visit them while I'm in town."
    "You should!  In fact, we should have gone over to their place instead of this disgusting bar.  Why do we keep coming here anyway?"
    "Last year you got upset when I suggested that Korean place, and demanded we come back here instead."
    "Did I?  Why would I ever do that?"
    "Hey, Touga, do you remember when Nanami got drunk two years ago and threw up on the waiter she was flirting with?  Now that was a reunion!"
    "Speak of the devil-"
    "Kyouichi."
    "Where is Nanami, anyway?  And is there any truth to this rumor I've heard about Mitsuru?"
    "You know how I feel about rumors, old friend."
    "Yes, if they're not about you, you've no interest in them."
    As they laughed and reminisced, a petite South Asian barmaid brought them a fresh round of drinks, beaming at them as she set them down.  The conversation trailed off momentarily.  After the girl had left, Miki leaned over the table conspiratorially.
    "Don't start, Miki."
    "But Saionji, I'm certain I've met her somewhere else!  I think she was at Ohtori with us."
    "Miki, I'm your friend, so I feel like I should tell you that you've got enough women troubles in your life without looking for more."  Silence fell over the table.  Juri cleared her throat.
    "There is something familiar about her, but I think we should leave this topic for now.  If you're really interested, Miki, you should ask her yourself.  Or that bartender you also claim to recognize.  What I find strange is the fact that Touga and myself have both received extremely attractive job offers here in town in the past two months.  I almost feel as if we should have received them in letters stamped with a rose seal."
    "Now who's being silly?  It's just a coincidence, and has nothing to do with our adolescent games.  Personally, I think you should accept the offer and join my dojo.  You could use the exercise!"  Juri promptly dashed her martini in Saionji's face, to general applause.  Even Saionji grinned.
    "Just like old times."
    "What about the hospital, Miki, how is life as a surgeon treating you?"  A long pause followed.
    "Come on Miki, you've been moping all night, what's wrong?  Is it your job?  I thought you liked the hospital."  Another pause followed, in which Miki glared at Saionji.  Saionji sighed.
    "Forgive my rudeness, Miki.  You know how I get when I've had sake.  If something's troubling you, I hope that you can trust me, trust us, enough to share it with us, and believe that we'll take you seriously."  Miki stared disconsolately into his wineglass.
    "I lost a patient last month."  After a brief expectant pause, Juri spoke quietly.
    "Miki, you've been an emergency room surgeon for seven years now.  Surely this has happened before?"
    "No, you don't understand Juri.  I lost her.  As in I don't know what happened." for a moment, no one spoke.  Then Miki drew in a breath and began his tale.

"I was working my usual late evening shift one night, when a women came in.  She was hysterical, crying about losing her baby, and alternately begging god and cursing the universe.  I tried to calm her down, since I was on my way out, and I didn't want to deal with it right then, but she was pretty out of it.  I finally managed to ask her where her daughter was and she just collapsed, crying harder than ever.  I began to suspect that she didn't know, or was just crazy, and moved to summon an orderly to process her, when I heard a very faint voice coming from my right.  It was a girl's voice, but it sounded as if it was coming from very far away, and I had trouble making out her words.  She said, 'I'm in the chair to your right.'  The chair was clearly empty, but as I looked closer, you promised to take me seriously, remember, I saw an indentation in the fabric, just like a person who was sitting down might make.
    I was half crazy myself by then, on account of the woman's screaming, but I reached out to where a person's knee might be.  And there was something there.  It was the strangest feeling I'd ever had in my life.  There seemed to be a knee there, though all I could see was that hideous blue upholstery.  I felt the smooth skin, and I thought I could hear someone crying, far off.  I let my hand linger longer than was really proper, so I pulled it back hurriedly, and looked around to see if anyone was watching me.  The woman that I could see was truly beside herself with weeping, so I asked one of the nurses to look after her, and when she had been led away, I whispered to where the girl must have been to please follow me.
    I wasn't thinking very clearly, and I don't know to this day what I had in mind, but the depression in the chair went away.  I headed for a supply room that wouldn't likely be used at that time of night, and I thought I heard footsteps behind me.
    When I, we, got to the supply room, I asked the girl to sit down.  A crate creaked.  After apologizing for the awkwardness of the situation, I asked her for her hand.  I couldn't tell if she even heard me.  So I just reached forward to where I thought her hand might be...and grabbed her shoulder instead.  That's not true, it was her breast I touched.  She jumped a little then, but I forced myself to feel along her shoulder and take her hand anyway.  Some habits continue in the strangest circumstances.  I was attempting to check her pulse of all things.
    I asked her her name, and I thought I heard her voice again, but it was too far away, and I couldn't make it out.  She sounded frightened, and even though she was right in front of me, it sounded as though she were screaming from a very great distance.  I asked her what had happened, and what symptoms she was experiencing.  Banal habit again.
    Her hand slipped out of mine.  And I lost her.  She was just gone.  I actually groped my way around the room with my arms outstretched, searching for her.  The door never opened, but she wasn't in there.  I ran out and tried to track down the other woman, but the nurse I had sent her off with had gone home.  I never even had the nerve to ask her about it, and no record of the woman's visit was made.
    I can still feel the way her skin felt under my hand..."

The bar had quieted down considerably during his story, and by the end he was almost whispering.  His friends just stared, speechless and uncomfortable.  As his voice trailed off, the only sound in the now-empty bar was that of the barmaid arguing with the pink-haired bartender who was demanding to know why she had turned the music off while there were still customers on the premises. 
    A cellular phone's ringtone shattered the moment.  In a familiar gesture, Miki grabbed it quickly and punched the button to send the call to voice mail.  He grimaced as he noticed the number, then shot a guilty look at Juri, who had suddenly become fascinated by her empty martini glass.  It was an even bet whether the caller was his wife or his sister wondering how much later he would be out.  Neither would be a comfortable topic of conversation at that moment.  A few moments passed before he cleared his throat and spoke.
    "That wine must have been stronger than I realized.  I should probably head home."  He waved at the barmaid, placed a credit card on the table, excused himself and headed for the restroom.  Touga spoke up first.
    "Maybe I will take that job.  I had already more or less decided to.  I find myself wanting to spend more time with Nanami."  Juri cocked an eyebrow at him.  "Juri, you know I am the soul of discretion, and would never contribute to gossip."  Juri snorted.
    "I don't suppose either of you have heard that Wakaba and Tatsuya are thinking of returning as well.  Supposedly, he's afraid of his branch closing, but I wondered if he and Wakaba were hoping that his parents would be able to help out with the kids.  Now though...it almost seems as if we were all being led back here.  I'd all but decided to take the job myself."  The Indian barmaid hummed to herself as she collected plates, glasses and credit cards.  "Saionji, how is Miki, really?"
    "You know perfectly well how he's doing.  They're tearing him apart.  I know you and Kozue don't get along-" Juri coughed twice, "but perhaps you should talk to her before you go home.  I'm a little worried about him.  Brrr, that story of his made me shiver!  You don't think-"  Touga kicked him under the table as Miki returned.
    "Well, so long my friends, as always, it has been a joy to see you.  Saionji, I expect you at our tennis match next week.  Juri, Touga, if you decide to take the jobs let me know right away, it'd be wonderful to be able to see you more often."
    "Take care, Miki."
    "Yes, take care."

Obviously, the setting needs fleshing out, something else that isn't my strong suit...one of these days, I'll find something that is my strong suit...I welcome all feedback, including "I was constipated, but this story fixed it, thanks."  Actually, I could really use some help with this.

EDIT: forgot the name. and stuff.

EDIT: Another typo, thanks Ragnarok.

EDIT: Tiny change.

Last edited by Stormcrow (06-02-2007 12:01:01 AM)

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#2 | Back to Top05-31-2007 09:08:10 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Re: Looking for advice

Hi, I'm hardly the right person to offer any advice or what have you, but hey.

I began to suspect that she didn't know, or was just crazy, and moved to summon and orderly to process her, when I heard a very faint voice coming from my right.

That should read "summon an orderly" should it not?

Miki's story should have a quotation mark at the start of each new paragraph, though it doesn't require one at the end of any but the final paragarph (as you already have it.)

I noticed today in another thread that you always double space after each sentence. I used to do this, but I don't anymore. This isn't a critique, I just wanted to mention it. What I've found is it's an easy habit to break.

In terms of useful advice, since I'm only a writer in my fantasy life I can't properly help; I can only express my opinion. As this story seems only to be beginning, I'd suggest that you continue writing it, rather than attempting to perfect this much of it. At a later time, perhaps when you've hit a minor block or after you've completed an initial draft, you can come back to it.

On the other hand, if this story is meant to stand on its own, may I say instead: "What?"

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#3 | Back to Top05-31-2007 10:16:18 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Yes, "an", not "and".

This actually didn't even begin as a SKU story, I just had the idea in my head about people dealing with things that can't be understood, and I was wondering how a doctor might react to an invisible patient.  That's where Miki's interlude came from.  There was also a thread about what SKU people might be doing after graduation, something that hadn't occurred to me before, but was immediately interesting...Unfortunately, I couldn't think of a larger plot to build around this, so I guess I kind of chickened out and posted it, hoping that someone else might have an idea...but I'll be good and get back to work on it.  I guess it doesn't make a lot of sense right now, I'll see what I can do.  Thanks for reading it, anyway.

-Truck North

#4 | Back to Top05-31-2007 10:51:02 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

The obvious answer to trimming/tightening it would be reverting to a non-SKU story. That leaves you free not to deal with a backlog of information from the series. You'd also be more encouraged to detail the characters, as they would be newly introduced to the reader. Not to mention a wider appeal audience-wise, depending on who you're interested in having read it.

But obviously, if you've already invested a lot of thought into the SKU-ifying of the story, and like where it's going: keep it.

#5 | Back to Top05-31-2007 11:13:09 PM

Alexandra
Covert Diarist

I think it's quite good!  Very interesting how everyone's moved on from the games yet are being drawn back into them again.  And is that Anthy that's the barmaid? Lol emot-smile  Cute cute.  However, it was hard for me to denote who was speaking, maybe add some "he said, she said" things afterward?  Please continue the story!

#6 | Back to Top06-01-2007 10:46:51 AM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I wrote:

You'd also be more encouraged to detail the characters, as they would be newly introduced to the reader.

Thinking about this more, detailing the characters is important anyway. It's been, what, twenty years since the end of the series? Tell us how the characters have changed since then. They're not in school anymore, so what are their day clothes? Or what did they wear specifically for this reunion? They're sitting at a table, is it round? Square? Who's sitting next to whom? Stuff like that is always good in small doses, just slipping those sort of details in on the side, so to speak.

#7 | Back to Top06-01-2007 11:35:52 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

The ambiguity of the dialog is somewhat deliberate, but mostly, I hate writing "Juri said", "Touga replied", etc. all the time.  The details of the setting I was sort of leaving until later.  I was still trying to decide what to do with it...but I've got that figured out now.  Thanks, Alex and Ragnarok, for the feedback.

-Truck North

#8 | Back to Top06-01-2007 11:56:38 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Stormcrow wrote:

The ambiguity of the dialog is somewhat deliberate, but mostly, I hate writing "Juri said", "Touga replied", etc. all the time.

That's what I thought. And I must say I etc-love it, I have nothing against the stories that have to be reread; and I think the dialogue is funnier and a lot more interesting when you force us to guess who is speaking.
By the way, have you read Tobias Wolff's Old School? It takes that "non-reporting" to the edge emot-dance

Overall, I like the story. It stands very well on its own, though maybe it could use some "ending" about the invisible patient. You might go for the mystery, or be more explicit. That's your choice emot-keke

Last edited by Asfalolh (06-01-2007 11:58:01 AM)

#9 | Back to Top06-01-2007 12:59:00 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Sorry, asfalolh, nothing more will be heard of the invisible patient most likely.  In fact, I have no idea who she is or what was going on there.

Old School, you say?  What's it like?

-Truck North

#10 | Back to Top06-01-2007 02:47:47 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

A high-school senior explains his life in an elite boarding school in America during the 1960s. It's a quite interesting rambling in literature, besides being an enjoyable book -I didn't like the last part, to be fair emot-tongue Lots of Ayn Rand, Robert Frost and Hemingway emot-keke

Stylistically talking, it is fantastic: dialogues are not separated from regular text, creating fluid paragraphes (I discovered it allows a more realistic focus on ideas and arguments, usually depicted too arrangedly) and asking for reader's effort to order them and find out the characters -who is talking, what is he saying, how does his mind work. Probably it's not the first novel in the world to use that tecnique (there's nothing new under the sun), but it's the first one I read, so I keep a good memory of it emot-keke

Found on Wikipedia: "And let me say this, above all, Mr. Wolff: the lack of quotation marks around the dialogue is a ridiculous piece of postmodern pretentiousness that has no place in your book." Thomas Mallon, critic who has a different view on that subject emot-tongue

Edited to add citation.

Last edited by Asfalolh (06-01-2007 02:51:05 PM)

#11 | Back to Top07-04-2007 05:58:16 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

It's been quite a while, but I've finally gotten around to writing more. As always, I'm happy to receive any and all feedback. I know it's still a bit rough, but I actually feel like I've got a direction in mind. Here is the rest of Chapter 1, Auld Lang Syne.

Miki walked out of the Rose Garden Tavern and crossed the parking lot to his car. His pace was rather slow, in fact it would be more correct to say that he strolled toward the light blue Prius. He kept his hands in his pockets and his gaze on the ground. He bore only a slight resemblance now the child prodigy he had been. His once straight shoulders were now hunched and bent, giving him an oddly hollow appearance. When he reached the car, he sat down in the driver's seat, then remained still for a time. His stomach was upset, but he blamed it on the wine.
    An odd sense of relief washed over him. The reunion was over. As much as he loved his friends from school, he was always very anxious around them. He couldn't have put his finger on why exactly, but whenever the conversation turned to his career, his marriage, his life, his palms began to sweat.
    He started slightly, surprised to find his stopwatch in his hand. He always kept it in the glovebox, and did not like to be far from it, though it hadn't worked in nearly three years. Looking at it now, he felt slightly disgusted by the grooves his fingers had worn in the plastic from long use. He almost imagined that he could smell his sweat from it. Shaking his head, he put the watch back in the glove box and inserted the key in the ignition.
    Looking across the parking lot, he saw a group of what might have been college students walking out of the bar, laughing, almost dancing. The blond girl in the middle drew his gaze in particular, the way she smiled. It seemed as if there were no pain in her world at all. She was a short girl, slightly plump and practically glowing with life. He caught himself eyeing the way her blouse slithered along the curves of her breasts and looked up just as she turned toward him. She caught his eye briefly and stared, wide-eyed. Then she smiled at him with that cheerful carefree smile.
    He looked away, uncomfortably scratching at the beard his friends were so fond of mocking. 'Saionji's right,' he told himself as he started the car and pulled out onto the street. 'I don't need any more trouble right now.'
    "It might help if you talked to Shiori." Touga said, looking Juri in the eye. "I'd actually recommend he come see me, but it will take me a few weeks to get my office set up, and I don't know how comfortable he'd be disclosing to me. He still looks up to me too much to trust me that way, I'm afraid." Juri made no reply, continuing to run her thumb across the back of the locket she held in her hand. Her gaze was abstracted, and a casual observer might have wondered if she had even heard. Touga new her better. "Juri," he began and then paused, reluctant to continue. Saionji looked at him, wondering as he always had what was going on in his friend's mind. As the silence grew awkward, he sighed and nudged Touga with his foot.
    "You know, your sister owes me money from last year...she must have avoided us this year, hoping by next year I'd forget it."
    "Then she would be a fool, my friend," Juri murmured, her eyes still vague, "I somehow doubt that you have ever forgotten anything in your life." Saionji's eyes widened slightly and he breathed in sharply, as if he had been slapped. Juri's eyebrows drew ever-so-slightly closer together as she closed her eyes. "Forgive me, my friend...I think I have over-indulged as well this evening." She looked at Saionji thoughtfully for a moment. "As it happens, my flight is quite late tomorrow. I think I might call on Shiori in the afternoon." She smiled then, just a little, "I should probably turn in myself, that being the case. How exclusive is your dojo, Saionji, do I need to fill out an application?"
    "No, it's strictly a matter of invitation for instructors." He smiled too.
    "That's very generous of you, but I fear I am quite rusty. Perhaps after I've gotten back down to my fighting weight I'll be able to consider such an offer."
    "A touch, a touch I do confess" Saionji quoted, hanging his head in mock shame. Smiling again, he continued, "You're welcome under any circumstances, both of you. Perhaps I could convince Miki to start practicing his fencing again as well. I don't carry any European foils, but I could easily acquire a few, and it would be good for my students to study different techniques." Juri inclined her head, stood up and left her tab on the table.
    "Then I suppose I'll be seeing you both soon." she said, smiling more brightly this time as she left the bar. The two men sat in silence for a time. The bartender glared at them slightly and cleared her throat. Both men grinned as they settled up and walked out to the red corvette Touga always managed to rent when he visited.
    "So tell me old friend, what would you say about a patient who went to great lengths to rent a very unusual and very fast car whenever he visited friends? What terrible psychological depravities is he likely covering up?"
    "Well obviously, I'd say that I can't discuss my patients with anyone." Touga replied, smiling as he drove them back to Saionji's dojo, "Besides, it's really no trouble. This particular agency always seems to have one available this time of year, and I like it enough that I always rent it." Saionji chuckled. "My dear Kyouichi, I feel as if you don't believe me!" They drove quietly for a few minutes before Saionji cleared hi throat.
    "Touga, may I tell you a secret?" he asked, looking out the window and away from Touga.
    "Of course. But please allow me to guess first. It's about the barmaid isn't it? I've noticed the way you flinch when she comes to the table. You should ask her out already, I'd guess she isn't seeing anyone."
    "I hate it when you do that." Saionji replied, glaring at his friend. "And you're wrong in any case. It is about the barmaid, but I'm not attracted to her." Touga cocked an eyebrow. "Oh, she's pleasant enough, but that truly isn't it." He said nothing for a pair of beats. "I think I recognize her too. I don't know from where, but school doesn't seem right...and I have this compelling notion that she deserves an apology from me. As if I've done some horrible wrong to her I can't remember...I'd feel rude to ask her about it, and I don't feel that I can say anything at all without knowing, but it does make me uncomfortable." Touga made no reply for perhaps thirty seconds.
    "Do you ever visit the old campus?" He finally asked. Saionjni's face twisted into a rare wry grin.
    "I actually applied for a job there a few months ago."
    "Oh?"
    "They posted a position for a kendo instructor, and I was short of students at the time."
    "They refused you?" Touga asked incredulously. "Who got the job instead, Yamaoka Tesshu?"
    "Yamaoka...Tesshu?" Saionji repeated, laughing. "You exaggerate. No, actually...do you recall Keiko Sonoda?"
    "Keiko...Nanami's friend?"
    "That's the one."
    "I had no idea she had any interest in kendo."
    "Well, that's who got the job." At this point they had reached the dojo. Touga said nothing as they walked inside to their respective rooms.
    "That is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard. Wasn't she living in New York or some such?"
    "That was my impression."
    "Strange...Did you want to talk further about this?" Touga asked, lingering at the door to the guest bedroom
    "No need, I wasn't that upset, just confused. And I know you must leave for the airport in five hours."
    "It's no trouble.
    "I know, but it's not necessary either. Good night old friend."
    "Good night, Kyouichi."

EDIT: typos. Thx, Ragnarok.emot-keke

Last edited by Stormcrow (07-04-2007 10:34:13 PM)

-Truck North

#12 | Back to Top07-04-2007 08:50:05 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

I must say I'm much more comfortable with this second part. Now that things have been set up it seems to be flowing nicely. (I'm a little disappointed that Touga wasn't in the backseat of Miki's car.)

Because I'm nitpicky, here are the two typos I caught:

"his career, hs marriage, his life, his palms began to sweat." - 'his' missing an i.

"I have this compelling notion that she deserves an apology frome me." - 'from' with an e.

I don't think I have anything useful to add, I'm looking forward to more. emot-smile

#13 | Back to Top07-04-2007 09:21:58 PM

Raroy
Saionji Slapper

This chapter was much better then the last.  Maybe I read it incorrectly but.........Shiori is a guy now?

Last edited by Raroy (07-04-2007 09:23:24 PM)

#14 | Back to Top07-04-2007 09:22:22 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I'm really enjoying this!  I hope you go on.

The "invisible girl" story is captivating.  I'd have guessed she could be Utena, except that Utena is already present and (more or less) accounted for.  Failing that, she must be either evidence that Miki really is losing it, or someone new, maybe related to the as-yet-unrevealed thrust of the story.  Do you know why everyone is being drawn back to Ohtori's city?

I really like your characterization of Miki throughout the chapter so far.  I bet his hair isn't blue anymore.

#15 | Back to Top07-04-2007 10:38:35 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Actually, Raroy, when Touga says he after mentioning Shiori, he's talking about Miki again. I see now that that isn't clear to someone reading it, but using Miki's name there would feel unnatural to me. I'm...still fairly adamant about the invisible girl being purely absurd and having no explanation...it'd have to be pretty good for me to ever put an explanation in and I can't think of anything that good. Yeah, the being-drawn-to-Ohtori I have pretty well worked out, but I won't spoil anybody...

Thanks very much for the encouragement!etc-love

-Truck North

#16 | Back to Top07-05-2007 12:40:55 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

I'm...still fairly adamant about the invisible girl being purely absurd and having no explanation...

Actually, I sort of find that refreshing emot-smile  Of all the characters, Miki may be the one most likely to go completely batshit insane in the future.  The story is a really effective way to illustrate his frame of mind; it doesn't have to be paranormal.  It certainly gives the symbolists something to talk about!

Oh -- my cognitive dissonance in reading the story: I'm not sure I find it believable that the Student Council remembered the dueling game but forgot Utena and Anthy.  I know Utena disappeared from campus, and some of the student body seemed to forget about her, but I don't think the forgetfulness was supernatural; it was just a middle-schooler's tendency to forget about the past and live in the present.  (After all, other students still remembered her.)  The Student Council, especially Touga and Saionji, would certainly remember them.

#17 | Back to Top07-05-2007 06:05:34 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

That's certainly a valid interpretation of the show, it's just not what I'm going with. There's actually a reason for that too.emot-wink

-Truck North

#18 | Back to Top07-05-2007 09:29:27 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

emot-keke

May we have some more? etc-love
I must say that this (your) Miki is a superb character, as satyreyes has already pointed out emot-smile

Last edited by Asfalolh (07-05-2007 09:30:13 AM)

#19 | Back to Top09-26-2008 08:17:42 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Well written, good flow, nice character voices. Also an intriguing idea. etc-love
I'm interested to see where you would go with this.
And of course (as a Utena & Anthy fan) I would love to see their hazy memory actually become full-blown in the student councilors' minds...

Board footer