This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-30-2006 05:09:32 PM

Almaser
Qualified Duellist

Birthdays!

Hey folks, I just secured an order for this little piece of joy;
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/almaser/img13.jpg
That's right, one of the Duelist Rings produced by Movic for the release of the Utena movie etc-love
It's costing me a buttload, but I'm justifying it as a birthday present for myself emot-wink

So, aside from my glee over that, I wanted to ask everyone; What is the strangest/best birthday present you've ever received?

Mine's a stolen shopping trolley, with ribbons on it.emot-biggrin

#2 | Back to Top10-30-2006 05:27:33 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Re: Birthdays!

What a coincidence! For my last birthday, I ordered Rose Seal as well. It cost $100, but I only had to pay for half of it. I'm wearing it right now... Or more specifically, I almost never take it off.

#3 | Back to Top10-30-2006 05:46:57 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

That ring sure looks cool in a heavy metal sort of way. emot-keke Its a pity they couldn't design it so it looks exactly like it does in the anime, but then again that would be way expensive and elephants would have to die to make it.

http://www.ohtori.nu/gallery/saturncaps/UtenaSegaSaturn034.jpg

I believe that the solid white part of the ring was made out of either ivory or white marble, the pink was garnet and the deep purple outline, a type of 'lead came'

#4 | Back to Top10-30-2006 06:13:20 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Almaser wrote:

So, aside from my glee over that, I wanted to ask everyone; What is the strangest/best birthday present you've ever received?

Weirdest gift? Would definitely have to be the pair of boxers with a picture of an old crying hobo clown right on the crotch. And this was in junior high, when everyone took themselves way too seriously to do something like this ironically. She gave it to me in all seriousness. emot-gonk

Best gift would probably be the Nyanko stuffed kitty in a burger. It's happy little smile makes you laugh despite the fact that it's suggesting you eat it. emot-dance Still not as awesome as your ring though. That thing is seriously gorgeous.

Hat Mafia Member

#5 | Back to Top10-30-2006 06:27:09 PM

Almaser
Qualified Duellist

Frau Eva wrote:

Almaser wrote:

Weirdest gift? Would definitely have to be the pair of boxers with a picture of an old crying hobo clown right on the crotch. And this was in junior high, when everyone took themselves way too seriously to do something like this ironically. She gave it to me in all seriousness. emot-gonk

Best gift would probably be the Nyanko stuffed kitty in a burger. It's happy little smile makes you laugh despite the fact that it's suggesting you eat it. emot-dance Still not as awesome as your ring though. That thing is seriously gorgeous.

Yeah, and two-hundred-and-fifty-five dollars Australian emot-gonk I just sent off the payment. Oh my poor wallet.

The crying crotch-hobo sent me into gales of laughter, especially since it was given seriously emot-biggrin

I like your analysis of the duelist rings' composition, Tamago, but it has to be marble. All the elephants in SKU are quite alive and kicking (Nanami.emot-wink)

#6 | Back to Top10-30-2006 07:19:39 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Almaser wrote:

I like your analysis of the duelist rings' composition, Tamago, but it has to be marble. All the elephants in SKU are quite alive and kicking (Nanami.emot-wink)

The marble would be more in tune with the whole ecology thing they have these days but if the rings were originally created like a century ago or more, ivory would most likely be the choice of the jeweller as it was highly regarded back in those days.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

I don't know about the weirdest gift unless you can claim that a pressure-cooker counts as strange, but my CUTEST gift would have to be my Sheepdog plushie!

etc-love http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/SheepdogPlush.jpg etc-love

#7 | Back to Top10-30-2006 08:03:36 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

one of my friends got me a rose seal this year for my birthday. X3 It's still ultimate spiffiness in ivory or silver or whatever everyone's is made out of.

Someone gave me a "hand sex kit." Came complete with hand lube (lotion), hand condoms (latex gloves), a kinky hand wand (one of those manicure writing pens) and more. Yay hands~~

On a strange gift note, the girls at my highschool would give eachother 'cute' print thongs for EVERYTHING. I still don't understand that, nor do I want to.

#8 | Back to Top10-30-2006 08:07:31 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Almaser wrote:

That's right, one of the Duelist Rings produced by Movic for the release of the Utena movie etc-love

I want one!  Actually, wehat I want is a good version of the Black Rose Duelist's ring.  Unfortunately, they don't make those in an acceptable quality.

I've never gotten any weird gifts.  My birthday gifts have been woefully normal.  The closest I get to weird is the box of various little kid playthings like coloring books, playdough, slinky, etc, from my grrlfriend.  It was amazingly cute.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#9 | Back to Top10-30-2006 11:33:17 PM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
Website

XD i have the utena movie ring...its awsome!

warning on it..the black stuff inside the grove in the eching around the ring falls off and the necklace i dont know if it is only mine but ware it too often would leave a grey line on ye neck...and its heavy for a ring

but its totally awsome still!

Chu chuu CHU!!!!

#10 | Back to Top10-31-2006 02:45:21 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I haven't really celebrated my birthday in years and I haven't got anything special for a present either.
But for me birthday = cake school-chef
And because I can't really afford to buy anything special for other people, I usually just draw/paint them something.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#11 | Back to Top10-31-2006 05:50:14 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Great, just great. Now that I'm aware of the existance of such a gorgeous Utena-related ring, I can't let my savings go unspent. :D

The strangest gift I got was nothing at all. My grandma's funeral was on that particular Birthday, so nobody really felt like celebrating. Including me. Oh, but I do remember a friend from primary school that got baby food (that mushy, weird stuff) as a Birthday present. It was an inside joke, because people used to call him 'baby'. Why? He always complained about everything. d: I'm sure that could pass as strange, couldn't it? It's just, so hard to consider something as 'strange', after watching SKU.

#12 | Back to Top10-31-2006 06:09:31 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Frau Eva wrote:

Wow, that's just bizarre. emot-gonk My last birthday? I got ohtori.nu renewed for the next two years. cool

I don't get really cool presents, I usually get practical ones like socks or shirts. Once in a while I'll get a bottle of booze, but my mother is kinda 50 miles off the mark of what I prefer to drink, so I end up sipping at it over the next year out of guilt. emot-frown

That ring is gorgeous! I wonder if it's made the same way the series ones were, though? There's definitely no ivory or marble to be seen on those, let me tell you.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#13 | Back to Top10-31-2006 02:08:03 PM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
Website

actually i'm waiting for my next b-day gift...which is the all 6 seasons of xena dvd box sets

but mostly what i get for me b-day are gundam model kits

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/42289546/ >.> um yeah mix with other random stuff

oh and the box in front of utena is the movie ring

Chu chuu CHU!!!!

#14 | Back to Top10-31-2006 05:58:06 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

I have a friend who gives all his friends random things like twigs, a couple rocks or a penny for their birthday...
for mine this year i got 6 crazy straws and 2 cents....

the weirdest one ive seen though was he taped 1.00 in penny's to a giant roll of tape and gave it to another friend of mine....

now thats weird! emot-tongue

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#15 | Back to Top11-01-2006 12:04:18 AM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
Website

nice 100 pennys in a ball or tape...i might try that

Chu chuu CHU!!!!

Board footer