This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-29-2010 12:59:12 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Anime for non-anime people

What shows have you used to get people into anime, or at least somewhat?

I got a non-anime 11 year old cousin into Utena and she enjoyed it a lot. She didn't like the movie though, she said there were too many weird girls kissing lol.

My other friends find the series worth a good laugh because of it's weirdness but they do see some artistic quality in it, I've only shown them the duel scenes though. NANA is a good one for girl friends who aren't anime fans. My little cousins also enjoyed Kaleido Star.

And ofcourse Miyazaki movies are anime any individual will love.

My entire family loved Perfect Blue too since I made them watch it.

Last edited by chrisb (01-29-2010 01:00:15 AM)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#2 | Back to Top01-29-2010 01:07:44 AM

Aya
Unfulfilled Juror

Re: Anime for non-anime people

Pretty much anything with any easy to follow story plot, and not too many references to Japanese culture are good.
I got my dad to stop thinking that all anime was an excuse for panty shots by showing him Steam Boy.

Yes, I did it because I was bored. So?

#3 | Back to Top01-29-2010 08:48:08 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

See I'd be tempted to say something that isn't like daft and full of those anime-specific effects, like facefaulting, sweatdrops etc. Idk though, first got into anime through Fushigi Yuugi mesen. emot-tongue

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#4 | Back to Top01-29-2010 12:39:00 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Seconding Bluesky... try to avoid anything with too much over-the-top exaggerated Super-deformed nonsense, and squeaky voices or prolonged powering up or screaming dialogues.  I'm a long time anime fan, and too much of this annoys me still today, nomatter how 'used' to it I am. 

One of the biggest barriers against anime is the idea that it's made for children -so chose titles that are a little more mature in content and mood.  Go for shows that utilize the style in an artistically beautiful manner.

Off the top of my head, I would say:

Cowboy Bebop : Spike may be a bit cheesey at times, but the music tributes are familiar, the art is gorgeous and the episodic nature works -it cuts a lot of melodrama out and doesn't demand that the viewer understand every little smidgen of backstory.  Emotion and depth is there, but it's a natural part of the ride. cool

From that, move to Samurai Champloo:  Once again, the music is the connecting thread to what they are already familiar with, with gorgeous animation and a little bit more anime humour, sex, and action than Cowboy Bebop.

Now show how emotionally gripping anime can be.  Try Now and Then, Here and There, which is only 13 episodes long.  For the same emotion but maybe a bit less political drama, Wolf's Rain.  WR is especially good for a religious friend, since it's an interpretation of Revelations. Trigun makes a good transfer from this pool to the next...

Now to heal the soul.  Slayers:  Don't show this series first, maybe wait a little until after the person has gotten used to anime.  Make this their first action/comedy series for the SAKE of action/comedy. 

Maybe now you can mindrape them?  FLCL, Utena, Boogiepop Phantom.  All good.

Overall, the best thing you can do is KNOW about anime when you show your friend, because they are going to have a lot of questions and if you can't answer them with much more than a SQUEE or LOL, then they are just going to find it weird instead of entertaining.  Know about the genres, the styles, the reflection of Japanese culture.  Be able to give some anime a critical and unbiased look - don't just fawn over every single bit of it - fanboying is enough to turn anybody off of anything.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (01-29-2010 12:40:33 PM)

#5 | Back to Top01-29-2010 12:58:22 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I'd also add Planetes to the list, especially if they are a science-fiction fan. It's a an excellent series with a hard sci-fi slant that fans of movies like 2001 would probably enjoy. It's also a must for anyone who follows NASA in real life.

Witch Hunter Robin is also a good pick for people who enjoyed the supernatural episodes of The X-Files.

Blade Runner fan? Maybe try Texhnolyze. Dystopias don't get much bleaker than that. And there is no sugar coating to be found, much like Now and Then, Here and There which OITL mentioned.

Noein is another excellent science fiction series that deals with parallel dimensions in a surprisingly plausible way, given the artistic liberties that the story takes. If you want to see Schrödinger's Cat used well in a series, this is one to check out.

The Matrix fan? Serial Experiments Lain.

Vision of Escaflowne has something for just about everyone in it.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#6 | Back to Top01-29-2010 02:34:43 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I've had several teachers that loved Cowboy Bebop and didn't know what anime is. I've never seen it myself, but hey.

I've actually gotten a fair amount of people to watch Adolescence Apocalypse. They all found it interesting in a "So... they're magical lesbians?" way. Also, the hair colour makes it easy to explain.

No see, pink is pretending to be a dude, and she meets purple and they hit it off. But pink is sorta in love with red, and purple is a witch.

#7 | Back to Top01-29-2010 02:49:32 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

allegoriest wrote:

I've had several teachers that loved Cowboy Bebop and didn't know what anime is. I've never seen it myself, but hey.

I've actually gotten a fair amount of people to watch Adolescence Apocalypse. They all found it interesting in a "So... they're magical lesbians?" way. Also, the hair colour makes it easy to explain.

No see, pink is pretending to be a dude, and she meets purple and they hit it off. But pink is sorta in love with red, and purple is a witch.

There's this ginger bint, she's like gay for the short-haired purple one. You know. The butterfly.
  emot-biggrin

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#8 | Back to Top01-29-2010 06:21:38 PM

halleftw
Saionji Slapper

Agree with much posted above, but I would also add Monster to the list. The character designs are incredibly realistic, the story doesn't contain any far-out fantasy that tends to scare off non-anime fans, and the plot is gripping and suspenseful.

I also know quite a few people who enjoyed Death Note but aren't really anime fans.

Last edited by halleftw (01-29-2010 07:15:59 PM)

#9 | Back to Top01-29-2010 06:53:24 PM

Cyrias
Tenjou Tilter

How about To Aru Majutsu No Index, I found it an engrossing series and mum liked it (despite not being an anime fan) and Shakugan No Shana (Shana's hair is so HOT, literally) with its depressing melancholic tones about existance and fast-paced action.
Chrono Crusade is also a must :3 And for the evil minded, Higurashi Ni Naku Koro NIIIII school-devil
Is that a good anime for non fans?

Last edited by Cyrias (01-29-2010 06:57:01 PM)

In lumine tuo, videbimus amor ('In your light, we shall love') Slippy slippery mambo~ everyone at Ohtori is in some kind of spiritual land, created by Goddess Anthy and her brother Akio?!

#10 | Back to Top01-29-2010 10:35:57 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

I like to go straight for the heart wrenching Grave of the Fireflies... it's a cinematic masterpiece in all it's anime glory... followed closely by Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service...

I've gotten a lot of people into manga, but that was usually more individualized... Let's just say I have a storeroom of random manga titles... Nana was definitely one that caused a lot of intrigue... so did Ah!(Oh!) My Goddess, Princess Ai (Although I wonder why) and Magic Knight Rayearth...those last two probably because I have them in box sets each with three manga, and I'm just like, "here, read this, it's short" and then they get interested...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#11 | Back to Top02-01-2010 04:46:22 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

For Joss Whedon fans, I say reach for Outlaw Star. It's got a lot of charm, but it also has two somethings that'll command their respect: What happens to Hot Ice Hilda and that gorgeous, if sparse ending theme.

Akira is an excellent entry as well for action fans. It brought respectability back in the day for Anime, so... plus that live action movie is still coming out.

...and for those mysterious-drama fans, show them Haibane Renmei. It'll leave them crying their eyes out if they have hearts.

For those lovable sex maniacs who like Anime, go for the Tenchi Muyo OVAs. My husband likes it, even if parts are a bit cheesy.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#12 | Back to Top02-02-2010 11:19:09 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I have two words for you: Spirited Away.
It's a beautiful story even non-otaku will love. My father said he didn't understand my passion for anime until he saw it, and I'm so happy.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#13 | Back to Top02-03-2010 07:27:31 PM

Hermine
Anthy Assailer
Website

See I think it depends on the person and their interests.
I am not an anime person by any means, but I love Utena because I love symbolism and metaphysics and, well, all that Utena-like stuff.

#14 | Back to Top02-04-2010 04:59:04 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

For sci-fi kids, Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex

Board footer