This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-08-2013 10:02:44 PM

hayama
Ruthless Deflorist

Adventure Time

Does anyone watch Adventure Time? I've been watching it on and off for the last year, and I marathoned a bunch of random episodes last weekend, and I can now say that it's my favorite non anime TV show. I'd really recommend it to everyone. The sheer creativity the creators put into creating the world is amazing, unlike any other kids show I've seen, but I was not expecting it to get as deep as it has. I mean, there's an episode on transgenderism, and one that very strongly hints toward a past lesbian relationship between two of the characters, which is crazy progressive for a kid's show. But beyond that, what might be considered the main storyline of the series is wonderfully mature for a kid's show, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

Note: Spoilers beyond this point.

When I started watching the show, I thought it was just a fun kid's show to watch while high. I enjoyed it at that level, but I never expected it to get deeper than that. Then, last week, I got to the episodes that explain why the world of Adventure Time is the way it is. The idea of a Nuclear Holocaust is something very heavy for kids to swallow, and I'm glad that the creators don't dumb the series down for their audience. My favorite episode so far is probably "I Remember You", where the past relationship between Marcelline and the Ice King is revealed. It's tragic as much as it is beautiful, and definitely can be enjoyed by an audience of any age. What I love about Adventure Time that you can't really get from any other show is that, while ostensibly it is a kid's show, it's almost too mature for the audience, making it clear that the story is meant to resonate with an older audience. And by the fact that it is a kid's show, there's an innocence to the tragedy. It has a different sort of impact that any other shows I've seen, besides maybe Kaiba, because it's dark without giving off that sort of vibe. I'm hoping that the fact that it is a show meant for children will not hinder the depth the creators can give to the backstory of the show. But it really took me by surprise, and I wish more American cartoons could follow suit.

Boy, you're gonna carry that weight.

#2 | Back to Top08-21-2013 04:24:07 PM

toseetheroses
Saionji Slapper
Website

Re: Adventure Time

emot-aaa Dude adventure time is the shit! did you see the new episode with the lemongrabs? that was the first one that legit scared me. Have you tried watching it on shrooms/lsd? cause shit gets even creepier, even on the lighter episodes.

You have no power over me

#3 | Back to Top08-21-2013 10:10:58 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Oh gods....This show! I've seen the first season and then random episodes On Demand. "I Remember You" just ended me. I can't even... The feels are too many.

While I do like the interesting background regarding the Land of Ooo and why it is the way it is, there is a part of me that holds to the concept that it's all in Finn's imagination. And he's just a kid living in the 70s with all those A-Bomb safety movies from the 50s being shown in class. Marceline is his babysitter. The Ice King is the crazy neighbor down the street. Jake is his dog. Princess Bubblegum is the girl who lives down the street with an old school kid's chem set and an easy bake oven.

I know, it's not accepted cannon but my head goes there a lot. Probably because I imagine some pretty weird things when I played pretend when I was a kid. Living across the street from a cemetery helped.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#4 | Back to Top08-22-2013 06:36:52 AM

toseetheroses
Saionji Slapper
Website

Cool theory, but vhs tapes, easy bake ovens, and even the console video games weren't invented till the late 80's. They still showed those videos then though.

#5 | Back to Top08-22-2013 08:51:42 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

toseetheroses wrote:

Cool theory, but vhs tapes, easy bake ovens, and even the console video games weren't invented till the late 80's. They still showed those videos then though.

The first consumer VHS players were released in Japan in 1976, and the US in 1977. I distinctly remember using one in my home around 1980-1981. Easy Bake toy ovens were introduced in 1963. Depending on the generation, console videogames have been around since the 1970s as well: the Atari 2600 was released in 1977, and was preceded by Pong as well as a number of less-successful cartridge-based systems.

edit: sources are Wikipedia and my brain. I was born in 1970. I grew up with this tech.

Last edited by Nova (08-22-2013 08:52:18 AM)

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#6 | Back to Top08-22-2013 07:14:13 PM

toseetheroses
Saionji Slapper
Website

haha, sorry! i was going by my uncle, i guess he's not the most reliable source emot-keke next time ill check my facts better, sorry!

#7 | Back to Top08-22-2013 07:42:44 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I'm so fucking glad Flame Princess was introduced as a solid love interest for Finn.

Because it's a nail in the coffin for Finn/Marceline and Finn/Bubblegum, and in fact precipitated Finn finally coming to terms with the fact that Bubblegum is too old for him, and has responsibilities and choices she has to make in her life that he can't understand.  And if Bubblegum, who is 18, (but at the same time I think it could be argued she's far older than that, since she can use candy biomass to manipulate her age) is too old for Finn, then the 1,000 year old vampire chick who has pretty complex problems of her own is definitely too mature for him as well.  No more which-of-these-two-awesome-ladies deserves Finn nonsense, no plot about how Finn's naivete, persistence and heroism will win him a Princess Bubblegum. 

Which paves the way for Marceline/Bubblegum. etc-love

Priorities.  I has them. 

Also, DAMN it must have been hard for Marceline to finally accept Ice King back into her life.  I mean, not only does she already have parental issues -long dead mother, evil demon lord father who was mysteriously absent during the period in her life she arguably needed him most, etc.  But she has the power to rid Simon of the crown.  She's strong and fast and very knowledgeable.  She could swipe the crown off his head and render him powerless, and take it far away from him or destroy it, in the hopes that his sanity and memories will return.

But she can't.  Not only because it might not work, and that would be the most devastating thing, but because Ice King will die without his crown.  Either killed by someone or something in the dangerous land of Ooo without her constant protection, or just by aging naturally, which she'd never be able to do with him.

So every single time he would visit her, she would have this dilemma to face, and it was too much. 

I am seriously hoping the episode with Maja the Sky Witch is implying that we will see more of Marceline's relationship with Bubblegum, and that ever since Marceline has accepted the emotional challenges of being friends with Simon again she's maybe also been looking into alternate ways of helping him.  I really, really, want all this to be part of some larger, epic, lesbian-tastic storyline.

#8 | Back to Top08-22-2013 07:57:53 PM

toseetheroses
Saionji Slapper
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

lesbian-tastic storyline.

THIS^ And I'm also loving how all of the characters are well rounded/(emotionally)believable. Like, where else do you get that in an (american) kids show? Plus, the fact that Finn, the main protagonist, is shown to be able to be a typical, annoying 14 year old boy, which is pretty much rare in all shows.

#9 | Back to Top08-26-2013 02:02:12 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

I was pet-sitting my great-grandmother's cat this afternoon. The two perks to this are 1.) Awesome cat who adores you, plays on your terms, and is dtc, and 2.) cable.

While flipping through the hundreds of nonsense channels, I got to the good stuff: The 'toons. After watching an hour of Regular Show, Adventure Time came on. I hadn't seen much of this, so I took the chance to trip while sober.

I freaking loved the Hamlet episode. Shit, if I wasn't such a drama nerd, I wouldn't have liked it so much, but the timing was just too perfect. You can even hear other monologues from the play IN the show! It's fantastic, very thorough!

The last episode was the Ice King/Marceline episode.

I was not ready for this.

I cried more than I am afraid to admit. The sheer tragedy of the moment when the Ice King is getting pumped about making a new song while oblivious to the magnitude of the reuniting rips me asunder. You can hear the pain in Marceline's singing voice (fantastic voice actress, really do need to amp that), you can hear the happiness in the Ice King's voice (though it be just for playing a new song). I only just recently recovered from watching the rest of it on the Intarwobs.

I was not ready for this...

This show is good. emot-smile

#10 | Back to Top08-28-2013 01:56:50 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Sorry, Light, the boyfriend told me that he and Flame Princess just broke up on a recent episode. He was on a job call in Houston, watching cable in the hotel. We don't have cable, and he doesn't remember much beyond that, so I don't have much more information, sadly.

But I think we knew that was coming. She said they would just end up hurting each other when they first got together. And well, it's true, they can't even touch. And Flame Princess has family issues...it's like a fantastical metaphor for a real relationship. school-freud

I do think it's a good thing though. You rarely get a relationship on TV, ESPECIALLY if it's for kids, that doesn't end with AND THEY LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER FOREVER AND EVER. Chances are your first relationship won't end with wedding bells. This is realistic for children and healthy--many more kids who grew up with this wouldn't try to make something out of a broken relationship because "this is the way its supposed to be." And it's not a GRAR IT DIDN'T WORK BECAUSE THE OTHER PERSON IS AN ASSHOLE, like practically every time someone actually DOES break up in a show. Sometimes, two people are really good and awesome, but they're just not right for each other. Again, really healthy.

The more I think about it, the more this show not only has depth, but a lot of important lessons that can be applied to regular life and are genuinely saying something important to children. How can Finn and his struggles and feelings feel more real than the typical "yay friendship" children's show that takes place in our world? Oh yeah, good writing and not treating children like simplistic idiots. emot-rolleyes I've found that generally if you try to talk to and teach children like a thinking and reasoning creature, its much more effective. I've met immature adults and mature kids. That colors how I interact with someone more than they're physical age. Adventure Time has things to say and teach for all ages. As the Duke of Nuts said, "Making mistakes is a part of growing up. And you never really stop growing."

EDIT: Also, WTF is up with Cartoon Network's DVD releases? I'm reeeeeeeally trying to wait for entire season sets, but JESUS CHRIST GUYS. We're on season six and you've JUST released season 2 on DVD? UGGGGGGGGGH. I'm trying to avoid buying them twice, once in digital form so I can actually keep up, and another to get commentary and extras. Makes me just want to give up and pirate everything, CN. emot-mad

Last edited by Frau Eva (08-28-2013 01:58:57 PM)

Hat Mafia Member

#11 | Back to Top08-28-2013 02:55:21 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Frau Eva wrote:

Sorry, Light, the boyfriend told me that he and Flame Princess just broke up on a recent episode. He was on a job call in Houston, watching cable in the hotel. We don't have cable, and he doesn't remember much beyond that, so I don't have much more information, sadly.

But I think we knew that was coming. She said they would just end up hurting each other when they first got together. And well, it's true, they can't even touch. And Flame Princess has family issues...it's like a fantastical metaphor for a real relationship. school-freud

They do break up in Frost & Fire, but when Finn tries to rebound onto Princess Bubblegum the very next episode aptly named Too Old, thinking that she and him will bond over pranking the Lemongrabs like they did in Too Young (in fact, the whole episode is a parallel to Too Young), he finally realizes that she is too old for him, and tells Jake over the phone that he is going to try and patch things up with Flame Princess.  Also, there are ways that they can touch, namely the Flame Shield spell.  Still, even if they don't wind up together, I think FP served to show Finn that he needs to be with someone his own age. 

Frau Frau wrote:

EDIT: Also, WTF is up with Cartoon Network's DVD releases? I'm reeeeeeeally trying to wait for entire season sets, but JESUS CHRIST GUYS. We're on season six and you've JUST released season 2 on DVD? UGGGGGGGGGH. I'm trying to avoid buying them twice, once in digital form so I can actually keep up, and another to get commentary and extras. Makes me just want to give up and pirate everything, CN. emot-mad

Yeah, I'm just slowly collecting all the episodes on itunes.

#12 | Back to Top09-09-2013 10:02:17 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I LOVE ADVENTURE TIME. Can I talk about how much I love Marceline for a second? I think she's a great character; she's definitely one of my favorites. (I am also a HUGE PB/Marceline shipper. Sky Witch is one of my favorite episodes.)

I cried so much during Holly Jolly Secrets and I Remember You . I watched them each multiple times and just cried my guts out (during I Remember You especially).

I also really like Flame Princess, and I'm happy with the way things turned out in Earth and Water, because I think it showed Flame Princess getting some feeling of peace after Frost and Fire.

I love so many of the characters, really. I think Adventure Time is such a great show.

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#13 | Back to Top09-10-2013 01:16:20 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

My brother really loves this show too and has recommended it to me multiple times. Honestly, I don't watch things, but you all speak so highly of it that it makes me want to watch it.

So I will, once we have the site straightened out, and I will report back here when I do. Maybe we could do a rewatch/first watch in three months or so? I'd love it if someone wanted to join me emot-keke

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

Board footer