This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top04-23-2007 06:15:03 PM

conner
Juri Jeerer

Re: Cartoon Network (U.S): Still Good or Bad for Anime

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Something like Naruto is going to sell, well.  Those sorts of shows sell well.  For the same reason Dragon Ball Z could keep going forever.  For the same reason Days of Our Lives is going to outrun Boston Legal and more people in the States will see Family Guy than would see Utena even if it aired daily for half a year.  As television is primarily a commercial medium, these are the sort of things that have to be attended to.  There's no getting around it, aside from when somebody airs a loss-leader because they can get some hype or prestige out of it.

What I would like, is to pretend once in awhile, that people as a whole or in general, are smart enough to know what they're being sold hard is never the whole array of what's available.  I'd like to pretend people rent movies that didn't get theatrical releases, or listen to music that hasn't hit the top of any chart you'll see quoted in a glossy or run across the backpages of a newspaper.

I am COMPLETELY aware of all of this. I'm not totally against what's insanely successful. Money talks. I was only giving my personal opinions regarding certain shows. Let the Narutards ( to you newbies and others unfamiliar, that's actually what NTO fans call each other) and Bleach Boosters have their fill. but IMO, Ill pass.

Last edited by conner (04-23-2007 06:17:47 PM)

#27 | Back to Top04-26-2007 05:17:11 PM

conner
Juri Jeerer

Something like Naruto is going to sell, well.  Those sorts of shows sell well.  For the same reason Dragon Ball Z could keep going forever.

BTW,  DBZ actually ended about a decade ago. but if you were referring about people still talking about it...... welll people are still talking about YYH, Eva, Escaflowne, Tenchi, Gundam Wing, sailormoon, Fushigi Yuugi, CCS,Kenshin, Trigun,Cowboy Bebop, Raxephon , Fruba, The Slayers, and yes Utena, just to name a few, even though they're SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OLLLLD!!!! (by the standards of  most 2-second-attention-span anime fans)

Last edited by conner (04-26-2007 05:17:46 PM)

#28 | Back to Top04-26-2007 05:18:49 PM

conner
Juri Jeerer

Hiraku wrote:

Aw, don't be so negative about it. For the most case, people don't get info of new great stuff other than what the news tell them. Can't blame them for that.[/color]

No, see, that's optimism.  Because despite evidence I believe it's true.  Make myself believe it's true.  Everyone's got at least two things in their rotation-o-entertainment that isn't hypermarketed to death in their direction.  Whether that's a Sonny Chiba flick or a Barry Manilow album or the recent Canadian English-translation of the Tale of Genji is  a whole other kettle, but still, two fish minimum.

Actually, that's a GOOD thing!

#29 | Back to Top04-26-2007 05:36:54 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

All I know is that the only few snippits of anime we Australians get to see on TV is either on Toasted TV in the mornings, on SBS at night (occassionally) and if you have pay-TV, CN.  I wish we had an anime channel like they do in the states.

#30 | Back to Top04-26-2007 08:29:52 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Tamago wrote:

All I know is that the only few snippits of anime we Australians get to see on TV is either on Toasted TV in the mornings, on SBS at night (occassionally) and if you have pay-TV, CN.  I wish we had an anime channel like they do in the states.

I think people post quite a bit of anime on YouTube, I wouldn't put my money on definitely finding the anime you wanna watch.
Right now, my source for new anime are animeblogs online like Random Curiosity, Wrex, Memento. They're all good blogs for introducing anime.

#31 | Back to Top04-26-2007 08:58:57 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Hiraku wrote:

Tamago wrote:

I think people post quite a bit of anime on YouTube, I wouldn't put my money on definitely finding the anime you wanna watch.
Right now, my source for new anime are animeblogs online like Random Curiosity, Wrex, Memento. They're all good blogs for introducing anime.

If it wasn't for Youtube, I wouldn't have seen the SKU series (and many other animes that never seem to make it to Australia) and I would have never joined this forum... not to sound immodest, but IRG might have a somewhat different feel to it from what you normally would think of if I didn't join.

Fun Translation

Not to sound immodest but === my immodesty will rival Akio's sextitude

#32 | Back to Top07-21-2007 01:51:42 PM

Deborah
New Student

Good long term, bad short term. Is it me or are you guys defending the status quo.
Is it wrong to reject the status regarding what’s popular such (like Naruto) just because everybody and their mama is into it. That’s why I got into anime in the first place. Just because something is popular does’nt neccesarily make It better than a  more niche property.
BTW, DBZ ended like 10 years ago.

#33 | Back to Top07-21-2007 09:18:19 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I only defend the shows I like, whenever it is sellout popular or totally unknown.

Board footer