This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-03-2018 02:35:09 PM

Jotari
New Student

What does Akio actually show the duelists?

So I get most of the motivations of the duelists in the Akio's arc. The scenes in the car tend to explain things pretty well (though I am struggling to quite get Nanami's motivation in her second duel). But in universe, it's clear that Akio is showing them something after the car trip that puts the duelests over the edge and into the fighting mindset...So what is he showing them? Anthy being implaed by swords? The planetarium controlling the world? Or do they just go to that hotel and have a big orgy? Narratively speaking it's actually pretty unimportant since the journey accomplishes more than the destination, but it does leave me wondering.

#2 | Back to Top02-03-2018 04:06:44 PM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Re: What does Akio actually show the duelists?

The end of the world. ;)

Seriously though, I do think he shows them the outside world. It gets a bit into fanfic-y territory, but if you're into the metaphysical aspects of Ohtori as a location, maybe the truth about it is what freaks them out. (Or, if you want to retroactively apply the movie here, an actual apocalyptic wasteland.)

im a shadow play girl irl

#3 | Back to Top02-09-2018 01:51:30 PM

Riddle of Epicurus
Miki Molester

It's Akio we're talking about, what do you think he shows them?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

#4 | Back to Top03-11-2018 05:48:17 PM

jmie5
Precious One

His willy. Maybe I've been reading and watching too much GoT, but I am fairly confident Akio shows them his willy.

#5 | Back to Top07-24-2018 04:01:37 PM

Maria
New Student

I always beleved that Akio shows their desire -not necesary sexual way- but occult the part in witch they fail (for example, in my theory, akio shows Miki that he want to have her sister exactly how he remmember her as a posibily future if he wins, but he dont explain or deliverately occults the part of the egoism in that -the duelist understand that part during the combats, and thats the reasong for their fail-). And more probably, Akio made their wish worse that they really want (or better, after all, the duelist want something that they really no need -in that way- and their problems are solutioned when they mature).

#6 | Back to Top07-24-2018 07:08:52 PM

Jotari
New Student

Maria wrote:

I always beleved that Akio shows their desire -not necesary sexual way- but occult the part in witch they fail (for example, in my theory, akio shows Miki that he want to have her sister exactly how he remmember her as a posibily future if he wins, but he dont explain or deliverately occults the part of the egoism in that -the duelist understand that part during the combats, and thats the reasong for their fail-). And more probably, Akio made their wish worse that they really want (or better, after all, the duelist want something that they really no need -in that way- and their problems are solutioned when they mature).

He already shows Miki that before racing off towards something at the end of the scene though.

#7 | Back to Top09-19-2018 04:20:09 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

I have read that when cocaine lords are recruiting "mules" they first give them a lecture about how they are permanently trapped in poverty with no hope of achieving their dreams for themselves or their families except by swallowing those little bags and taking a plane trip. Akio is probably showing his recruits visions of meaningless, drab adulthoods, IMHO. There is the "positive" spin of course; don't you want to be bold and enterprising and achieve the dream? The cars! The girls!

Board footer