This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-23-2007 08:18:46 AM

conner
Juri Jeerer

Best/worst Anime spinoffs,one-offs (and ones you'd like to see)

I was just watching the cartoon network and I saw Yugioh GX IMO it was the worst spinoff of a anime I have ever seen in my life. What do you think are some of the best (and worst ) anime spinoffs and which anime would you like to see have a spinoff.

#2 | Back to Top02-23-2007 10:49:33 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Re: Best/worst Anime spinoffs,one-offs (and ones you'd like to see)

Of what I've seen:

Best:
Magical Girl Pretty Sammy TV (aka Magical Project S) - Tenchi Muyo
Adventures of the Mini Goddesses - Oh My Goddess

Worst:
Rayearth - Magic Knight Rayearth (don't get me wrong, it's not awful, but it suffers from looks GORGEOUS but has a plot as deep as a puddle syndrome.)

Would Like To See:
Someday's Dreamers - for more of Yume's life post-certification.
Cardcaptor Sakura - a show from Kero-chan's POV. emot-keke

...that's all I can think of at the moment.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#3 | Back to Top02-23-2007 11:03:08 AM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

I am certainly interested to see how the Evangelion live action movies turn out.

And am I the only one who think Utena would make a beautiful live action film? Like if they made it like one of those filmed-entirely-in-front-of-a-green-screen movie like CASSHERN. You know? Purposefully over the top and surreal.

#4 | Back to Top02-23-2007 11:05:15 AM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

Utena needs  SEQUIL!!
the adventures of Anthy!! the ending has always killed me..

poor Utena...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#5 | Back to Top02-23-2007 11:16:17 AM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Hahaha adventures of Anthy I'd totally watch that. emot-dance

#6 | Back to Top02-23-2007 11:20:46 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Me too!

Or a prequel would be just as interesting.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#7 | Back to Top02-23-2007 12:04:30 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Emiemipoemi wrote:

I am certainly interested to see how the Evangelion live action movies turn out.

There's still no knowledge when/if it's going to come out. I'm guessing you're thinking about the animated remakes that come this and next year.

And am I the only one who think Utena would make a beautiful live action film? Like if they made it like one of those filmed-entirely-in-front-of-a-green-screen movie like CASSHERN. You know? Purposefully over the top and surreal.

I'm not sure if Utena would be suitable for live-action. I just can't imagine what kind of actors would fit the parts. Utena reanimated with infinite budget would be divine, though.

Last edited by Lightice (02-24-2007 08:24:10 AM)

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#8 | Back to Top02-23-2007 01:38:33 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Lightice wrote:

Emiemipoemi wrote:

There's still knowledge when/if it's going to come out. I'm guessing you're thinking about the animated remakes that come this and next year.

Nope, although I am interested in those, too! I mean the Evangelion live action movie that has been frozen and has no director etc etc. emot-frown But just the fact that companies are considering it has me hyped!

#9 | Back to Top02-23-2007 08:20:31 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Wow. That would be ADORABLE. And all about food. And how cool he thinks he is. And how stupid Touya and Syaoran are. And how much better he is than Suppi. And more food. But it would still be the cutest things. etc-love

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#10 | Back to Top02-24-2007 02:18:43 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Maarika wrote:

Me too!

A prequel to SKU huh? would that mean that we would see how Anthy turned from a Nanami like princess with a fixation on Dios to a devious witch to a passive-aggressive rose Bride we all know and love. school-freud

#11 | Back to Top02-24-2007 03:27:27 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

belladonna wrote:

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

And how much better he is than Suppi.

You mean how much better he thinks he is than Suppi.

I myself love Hellsing Ultimate.

I dunno about the whole Evangelion thing. I am kinda looking forward to remakes, but haven't seen anything that really says anyone's considering a live action, except those previews that are half other movies... I am waiting for the animated ones however.

...so adolescence apocalypse is a spin off, not a movie, huh? Then that one too.

#12 | Back to Top02-24-2007 09:00:06 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Emiemipoemi wrote:

I mean the Evangelion live action movie that has been frozen and has no director etc etc. emot-frown But just the fact that companies are considering it has me hyped!

Well, even when the news first got out, they said it might take 'till 2010 before they get into production. I'd be very surprised if it'd be out before 2009. I suspect that the remakes got into production because so many people expressed interest to the live-action. I also suspect that the popularity of the remakes is going to determine the fate of the movie.

I wish it had more consistent animation quality, smoother plot and the music from the TV-series. The first episode was simply terrible, apart from few individual scenes. The second was already better, since it had a proper plot, but it remains to be seen how it'll go from now. I wish they didn't try to copy the manga scene-to-scene. That very rarely works out.

As for spin-offs, I suppose that any Ghost in the Shell-adaption is a spin-off from the original manga and I find all of them damn good, apart from Solid State Society whose plot is below the standards of the other productions.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#13 | Back to Top02-24-2007 10:53:35 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Tamago wrote:

Maarika wrote:

Me too!

A prequel to SKU huh? would that mean that we would see how Anthy turned from a Nanami like princess with a fixation on Dios to a devious witch to a passive-aggressive rose Bride we all know and love. school-freud

Also, I'd like to see all of the previous duellists, and how they got out of Ohtori. IF they did. *Dun dun dun!*

I want to see Aoi as a duellist. *siiigh* etc-love

#14 | Back to Top02-25-2007 01:20:22 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Lightice wrote:

Emiemipoemi wrote:

I mean the Evangelion live action movie that has been frozen and has no director etc etc. emot-frown But just the fact that companies are considering it has me hyped!

Well, even when the news first got out, they said it might take 'till 2010 before they get into production. I'd be very surprised if it'd be out before 2009. I suspect that the remakes got into production because so many people expressed interest to the live-action. I also suspect that the popularity of the remakes is going to determine the fate of the movie.

I wish it had more consistent animation quality, smoother plot and the music from the TV-series. The first episode was simply terrible, apart from few individual scenes. The second was already better, since it had a proper plot, but it remains to be seen how it'll go from now. I wish they didn't try to copy the manga scene-to-scene. That very rarely works out.

As for spin-offs, I suppose that any Ghost in the Shell-adaption is a spin-off from the original manga and I find all of them damn good, apart from Solid State Society whose plot is below the standards of the other productions.

I could've sworn that they claimed it would be out this summer.
The MOST memorable part of the news is that they said Anno is going to destroy his fan's expectations toward the new Evangelion movie. The guy's pretty crazy, I don't know what he'd do, but I love The End of Evangelion.
Maybe it's just a bluff. emot-rolleyes

Oh, there IS a spinoff... about 10 minutes, of the misadventures of Kero and Suppi as they kill each other on their epic battle to save the flying Takoyaki.

Last edited by Hiraku (02-25-2007 01:21:20 AM)

#15 | Back to Top02-25-2007 04:11:42 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

I could've sworn that they claimed it would be out this summer.
The MOST memorable part of the news is that they said Anno is going to destroy his fan's expectations toward the new Evangelion movie. The guy's pretty crazy, I don't know what he'd do, but I love The End of Evangelion.

That's a reference to the animated remakes. There's four of them coming and the first comes out this summer. From the information currently available, it seems that the plot is taking into a completely new direction from the series' episode five onwards. Some details, like the logos of NERV and SEELE are also going to be changed, propably just to bug the fanboys. In other words, it's going to be an alternate universe spinoff. Whether it'll be good or not remains to be seen. We can be pretty confident that it's going to look gorgeous, though.

The current fan fears seem to be divided between the remakes sucking and the remakes being so good, that the old series sucks by comparison.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#16 | Back to Top02-25-2007 10:49:01 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Hiraku wrote:

Oh, there IS a spinoff... about 10 minutes, of the misadventures of Kero and Suppi as they kill each other on their epic battle to save the flying Takoyaki.

That was the inspiration for my idea. emot-keke  "Leave It To Kero: Theatrical Edition"... I was cracking up the whole time during that.  Glad they put it on with the 2nd movie DVD.

As to the forthcoming new animated Evangelion movies:

AnimeNewsNetwork wrote:

Hideaki Anno Releases Statement About New Evangelion Movies
posted on 2007-02-20 09:33 EST

EVA creator posts message in theatres across Japan, hopes to lure new audiences to Evangelion films

On February 17th, Shin Seiki Evangelion (Neon Genesis Evangelion) creator Anno Hideaki made a statement in the form of a movie poster that appeared in theatres all over Japan. The announcement was also posted on the new Evangelion movie and Yahoo! Japan portal sites for the film, which also launched on Friday.

A translation of the entire announcement is as follows:

Many different desires are motivating us to create the new "Evangelion" film.

The desire to portray my sincere feelings on film.
The desire to share, with an audience, the embodiment of image, the diversity of expressions, and the detailed portrayal of emotions that animation offers.
The desire to connect today's exhausted Japanese animation [industry] to the future.
The desire to fight the continuing trend of stagnation in anime.
The desire to support the strength of heart that exists in the world.

Finally, the desire to have these wishes be realized.

For these purposes, we used the best methods available to us to make another Evangelion film.
Many times we wondered, "It's a title that's more than 10 years old. Why now?"
"Eva is too old", we felt.
However, over the past 12 years, there has been no anime newer than Eva.

Specifically, among the stagnant mood of the present day, it is the portrayal of will - not technology - that is most important.
To support the fans that support animation, we felt that a work that would appeal to middle and high school-aged men, who quickly grow away from Anime, was necessary.
When we decided that we wanted to something to support the anime [industry] of today, the determination to return to this title was strong.

As the creator of this project, [I assure you that] a very new-feeling Evangelion world has beeen constructed.
For this purpose, we are not returning to our roots at Gainax. I have set up a production company and studio, and it is in this new setting that we will start again.
Without looking back, without admiration for the circumstances, we aim to walk towards the future.
Thankfully, we have gathered staff from the old series, new staff, and many other fantastic staff to work on this series.
We realize that we are creating something that will be better than the last series.

”Eva" is a story that repeats.
It is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little.
It is a story of fear, where someone who must face indefinite solitude fears reaching out to others, but still wants to try.
We hope that you look forward to the 4 new retellings of this story.

In closing, it is also our job to provide a service to our customers.
Although it seems obvious, we aim to create a form of entertainment that anyone can look forward to; one that people who have never seen Evangelion can easily adjust to, one that can engage audiences as a movie for theatres, and one that produces a new understanding of the world.

This fall, we hope you can join us.

Creator/General Director, Anno Hideaki

Source: AnimeAnime!

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (02-25-2007 10:51:48 AM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#17 | Back to Top02-25-2007 11:38:45 AM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

allegoriest wrote:

Me too!!  emot-dance Can't wait for the massacre in Rio!!! etc-loveetc-loveetc-love though the ovas are more a remaking all over again than a spin-off

Am I the only one that doesn't like the idea of new evangelion movies? emot-frown Seems to me that they are beating a dead horse

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#18 | Back to Top02-25-2007 01:16:52 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Anime spin-offs? I'm not really sure I've ever watched any.

I would do just about anything to have a Sailor Stars spin-off about the lives of the Sailor Stars and Princess Kakyuu.

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Would Like To See:

I would really love that. I have come to despise CCS, every single damn character in it is a Mary Sue. Yeesh. 'Cept for my Kero-chan. emot-biggrin

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#19 | Back to Top02-25-2007 01:51:59 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Favorite Anime Spinoff-- Puni Puni Poemi, a spinoff of Excel Saga. Too bad it's only two episodes. I've fried quite a few brains by showing it to people.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#20 | Back to Top02-25-2007 07:24:02 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Romanticide wrote:

Am I the only one that doesn't like the idea of new evangelion movies? emot-frown Seems to me that they are beating a dead horse

Except the difference this time being that 'they' is not Gainax this time around.  They've been riding the Evangelion train for a decade, but this time Anno isn't hopping back on and is instead going out on his own.

We shall see...  When they inevitably get over here on DVD, I have a feeling I'll be checking them out anyway.

Myself, I'm awaiting the anamorphic versions of Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion that are supposed to be coming over here too...

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (02-25-2007 07:25:22 PM)

#21 | Back to Top02-26-2007 02:08:08 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I'm kinda a "hey why not, it might be enjoyable in a non-evangelion way, or might be enjoyable in an evangelion way, or hey, it might suck, but I'm hideously bored so why not" kind of way about them. (err... Evangelion) But if it has Gendo, I'm so there.  (horrible Gendo obsession since... forever. No idea why X_x)

I miss CCS... Clowwww~~~ He's still probably my favourite character ever. I still can't justify why though. But I do agree the show was made of May Sues. X___x
I don't think anything was more enjoyable than Kero and Suppi chasing the Takoyaki though, no...
I myself am kinda not glad it came out with the second movie, as I ONLY bought it to see that short. X___x But it was better than no short at all.

I can't beleive I forgot Puni Puni Poemi X___x

...And now the Song of Sweets is stuck in my head. >__<

#22 | Back to Top02-26-2007 04:45:03 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

allegoriest wrote:

I miss CCS... Clowwww~~~ He's still probably my favourite character ever. I still can't justify why though. But I do agree the show was made of May Sues. X___x
I don't think anything was more enjoyable than Kero and Suppi chasing the Takoyaki though, no...
I myself am kinda not glad it came out with the second movie, as I ONLY bought it to see that short. X___x But it was better than no short at all.

I know what you mean about the Mary Sues... Tomoyo was too perfect to be human, I love her... And Touya was the prefect onii-chan, too, he's just missing that Touga attitude.

#23 | Back to Top02-26-2007 09:32:42 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

The Good:
Macross Plus is a brilliant OAV series that I like much more than the original Macross (though they're very different sorts of stories, to be fair).
The Tenchi Muyo manga is really way better than the series ever was.
Rune Soldier Louie, the anime, is wonderful fun and superior to the original (extremely sexist) manga.
While it had significant flaws near the end, I quite liked the first half of Bubblegum Crisis 2040, much more than I ever cared for the original.
Adam Warren's Dirty Pair comics are awesome.
And of course, the Utena game!

The Bad:
The Ranma 1/2 anime, while decent in places, is often positively wretched compared to the original manga.
There are some truly awful anime-based video games. I know, I've suffered through a lot of them. The absolute worst to my knowledge are DBZ: Ultimate Battle 22 and the Saber Marionette J: Battle Sabers games, both of which approach being completely unplayable.
The Shaman King anime really lost a lot in the transition from a manga, which is a damn shame, since Shaman King's designs benefit so well from colour.
Every attempt at live action Sailor Moon is terrifying. Saban's, the musicals, the tv show... terrifying.

That being said, while my list of "good" outweighs "bad", my list of "mediocre" (which would include everything from the Utena movie to the Magic User's Club TV series to most adaptations of either a manga or anime) would significantly outweigh both. Decent spinoffs are very much the exception to the rule.

Things I want to see get a spinoff so bad I'd take the risk of it being terrible:
Something for Rival Schools. I love Rival Schools so much I even read the utterly horrible Udon comic just because of the brand name. It was Capcom's greatest series ever.
On that note, Darkstalkers got a half-decent OAV series (by fighting-game-adaption standards), but it didn't include Vampire Saviour! No BB Hood, no Lilith, no Jedah, boo!
I really really wanted to see an anime of Claymore... and now they're making one! Yay!
I really, really wish they'd make some OAVs to finish the Please Save My Earth anime. Also Heroic Legend of Arslan, both gorgeous, interesting series that stopped in the middle.

#24 | Back to Top02-26-2007 09:43:01 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

The worst spinoff I've seen was the second season of Orphen. Dear Christ. And then there's Full Metal Panic: Fumouffu. Oh, and the Nadesico movie comes in third for having a huge time gap between the series and the movie.

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#25 | Back to Top02-27-2007 01:03:21 AM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

OH GOD! You guys are gonna hate me but
WORST:
Utena
(the reason being is that Kuniko Ikuhara did not really follow true to the manga and deviated a bit too much from the storyline, granted the show was fucking awesome and I love them both equally, but you have to admit, the manga was slightly different)

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

Board footer