This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-12-2009 04:07:38 PM

minervana
High Tripper

What's the Saddest Moment in SKU?

Title is self-explanatory. What moment, to you, is the saddest one in all of SKU? You can choose the anime, manga or movie.

For me, the saddest moment in the anime is when Mari (?) returns to Ohtori to visit Mamiya's grave (Episode 22). She's noticeably older and goes up to visit Akio, who is noticeably not. They talk for a few minutes, she asks him a question, and there's a brief shot of Akio's face, staring pensively into the distance. I don't know why but that shot always makes me sad.

http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/d/9264-1/Series_ep22_206.jpg

Last edited by minervana (10-12-2009 04:11:05 PM)

#2 | Back to Top10-12-2009 04:16:04 PM

spoon-san
Someday Shiner

Re: What's the Saddest Moment in SKU?

I second episode 22 and parts you mentioned as being sad.  Many sad moments there though I wouldn't call any of them, from my personal stand point, as being THE saddest (though the grave, the shadow play and how it relates to the character(s), and such are up there). 

For me it was originally ep 37 where everyone hates on Anthy, including Utena, and how it resolves strikes a chord in me.  The end of ep 23 with Mikage is also...just sad.  Scratch that, make the entire episode.  Rukia's ending, too, but it's not that high up there compared to the others.

Though I now feel the last episode does it for me and would rank number one.  The whole part after Utena...well...you know, greets major pain, with the aftermath is really sad to me.  Maybe it's the music, but how things change subtly without overtly changing (as Akio says nothing happened) to Utena being gradually eased from Ohtori's memory, to Anthy clinging to hope beyond reason but to where you believe she will find Utena.  It is all very profound in a very authentic and bitter sweet manner.  The way it was pulled off just stuns me.  What an incredible ending and the best I have seen for any anime, but the best of endings tend to be the saddest, (though when an element of hope remains, it comes off even more emotionally grabbing to me than a cliche ending where everything goes all to shit and hell, I guess.).

Last edited by spoon-san (10-12-2009 04:18:19 PM)

#3 | Back to Top10-12-2009 05:42:32 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

I think the saddest is when Nanami tells Touga she loves him. It's so raw and emotional. Poor Nanami! emot-frown

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#4 | Back to Top10-12-2009 10:52:59 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Speaking of the Nanami Akio Arc episodes...just... the entirety of them.  This is a set of episodes that show a girl being cruelly and systematically broken down.  Everything about her is questioned, twisted, and belittled.  Her love for her brother, their relationship, her dream of having a prince, her sense of self-worth, her individuality, even the way she sees the world is thrown back at her face and told is pathetic. 

You have a character whose emotions are usually seen in a comedic manner suddenly radiate with a much more devastating display of feelings.

Her confession to her brother, riding in the elevator after seeing Akio and Anthy together, her tears after losing the duel, and at the very end, Touga's cell phone, representative of Nanami's last desperate attempts to love him and thus herself, abandoned in the seat of Akio's car.

And speaking of the Nemuro episodes, oh god, the shadow play, with Tokiko's straightforward and honest, "but it pains me to see you this way."

emot-gonk

Adding to the list:

Wakaba's Black Rose duel, the moment where Utena does not let her touch the ground, which to me means that she is unable to go to sleep and forget all the events surrounding it, and her returning home to an empty door and greeting no one. 

Kozue standing outside of the piano room listening to Miki's music and staring at the sky.

The carousel in the final episode.

Young Utena desperately pleading for End of The World when he still resembles Dios to save Anthy, and him telling her he cannot.

Anthy stabbing Utena, and then kissing her shoulder.

emot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonk

Gonna go have a good cry now, kthnx.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (10-12-2009 10:58:08 PM)

#5 | Back to Top10-13-2009 12:03:34 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Juri's second duel finale, the moment when Ruka walks to her, and says, that everything will be all right. They both stand silent, and rain starts to fall...

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#6 | Back to Top10-13-2009 12:09:13 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

minervana: For me, the saddest moment in the anime is when Mari (?) returns to Ohtori to visit Mamiya's grave (Episode 22).

Yep sad. emot-gonk
And that's Chida Tokiko, Mamiya's older sister. emot-smile

For me it's the HORRIBLE scene between Utena and Anthy in episode 37.

Flash to Utena playing basketball angrily. She's thinking about this happening:
Anthy:  It seems my brother loves you too.
Utena is sitting on the couch staring at the letter from Ends of the World. She keeps staring at it.

Anthy:  Utena-sama,
Flash to angry basketball.
Anthy:  I hope we can be together like this forever.
Utena leaps to her feet and rips the letter into little pieces. Anthy stares at her deadly. The pieces fly everywhere, and Utena's anger is plain to see, although her face remains hidden.
Utena slam dunks the basketball.

Oh my God that scenes gives me physical pain to watch.
The words Anthy picks are...just so cruel, and yet the kindest thing she could say if she wants to protect Utena. Utena's reaction to them is...just so unprincely. Anthy's reaction is...characteristic pain-filled giving up. Utena's reaction is...uncharacteristic pain-filled giving up.

It's the moment that Utena might not have gone on to revolutionize the world.

Other than that, I am incredibly sad through every moment in episode 39, especially at the ending. emot-gonk

#7 | Back to Top10-13-2009 01:10:07 AM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

Last episode, when Anthy and Utena's hands finally managed to make contact, and then the sudden drop......ahhh, I actually screamed out the first time I watched it.

#8 | Back to Top10-13-2009 01:42:39 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Wakaba's Black Rose duel, the moment where Utena does not let her touch the ground, which to me means that she is unable to go to sleep and forget all the events surrounding it, and her returning home to an empty door and greeting no one.

Even worse, it's Saionji's sword that takes her rose. Utena never drew the sword of Dios, but instead used Saionji's soul-sword to defeat Wakaba. Horribly, horribly sadly symbolic.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#9 | Back to Top10-13-2009 04:43:03 AM

Cyrias
Tenjou Tilter

My saddest moment was when Utena was struggling to open the Door in great physical pain, and she just tries to while Akio drinks a lemonade, and also when Anthy and Utena met in the coffin and Utena dissappeared emot-aaa

In lumine tuo, videbimus amor ('In your light, we shall love') Slippy slippery mambo~ everyone at Ohtori is in some kind of spiritual land, created by Goddess Anthy and her brother Akio?!

#10 | Back to Top10-13-2009 01:23:48 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Lady Chani wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Even worse, it's Saionji's sword that takes her rose. Utena never drew the sword of Dios, but instead used Saionji's soul-sword to defeat Wakaba. Horribly, horribly sadly symbolic.

OH GOD I KNOW.  emot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonk

You know, one of the essay topics that has been floating around in my head for quite some time concerns this, focusing on the parallels between Wakaba and Anthy based on how Utena reacts to each, and what that says about what Utena believes the Power of Dios really is, or is for, with references to Touga's Student Council Arc Duel.   Wakaba's duel is just so shockingly different from the other black rose duels, in tone and consequences and character interactions.  etc-loveemot-frownetc-loveemot-frown

#11 | Back to Top10-13-2009 03:38:41 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Aww some of my favorites have been snagged...

...I find the end sort of sad, when Anthy leaves Akio there, simply because he has no clue about...well...anything.

Also when the bird slams into the window during Thorns of Death...poor bird, it gets me every time. Also the end of Juri's last duel, with the rain, yeah I agree that one is on my list too.

Wakaba coming home and greeting an empty room after Saionji leaves. Poor girl. Yeah its already been said but its so sad.

Last edited by hollow_rose (10-13-2009 03:39:38 PM)

20 threads dead so far.

#12 | Back to Top10-13-2009 10:04:09 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

hollow_rose wrote:

...I find the end sort of sad, when Anthy leaves Akio there, simply because he has no clue about...well...anything.

HOLY CRAP. How does anyone beat me to my semi-comedic Akio answer? emot-aaa

http://www.ohtori.nu/galerie/d/17094-1/Series_ep39_298.jpg

LOOKIT HIM. He looks so confused and helpless. Like a kitten. emot-frown emot-frown emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#13 | Back to Top10-13-2009 10:38:01 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

I never noticed how freaking adorable he looks in that shot... emot-aaa etc-love

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#14 | Back to Top10-14-2009 10:42:27 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

He looks lost because he doesn't know how to use Vista.

#15 | Back to Top10-14-2009 04:16:13 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

...who does really?? I'm getting that crap off my laptop and using Windows 7 ASAP. emot-smile

And I'm fast off the draw Gio! Sorry for stealing your Akio sad moment.

20 threads dead so far.

#16 | Back to Top10-14-2009 05:29:59 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/Poor-Akio.jpg

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#17 | Back to Top10-14-2009 05:51:26 PM

KillerxXxQueen
Snowdrop Lover

Gio, you are incredible. I laughed so damn hard.

I think one of the saddest parts is when Touga and Saionji find Utena in her coffin and realize that they can't save her, so they leave. Dropping her hair made me choke up.

"Reason I know is only a drug and, as such, its effects are never permanent."
                                                         --Hope Mirrlees, Lud-in-the-Mist

#18 | Back to Top10-14-2009 05:58:20 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Giovanna wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/ … r-Akio.jpg

I....want to see someone make a facebook page for Akio.

DO NOW.

/threadjack

#19 | Back to Top10-14-2009 07:31:11 PM

Arreat
Ohtori Paramouri

The rain with Juri was one of mine.

And probably when Utena was prying open the coffin. emot-frown It was so raw and just teeth-clenching to see that.

#20 | Back to Top10-14-2009 07:37:35 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

The kitten.

#21 | Back to Top10-15-2009 04:35:51 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

There are a lot, but one I can think of right off the bat is in episode 33 when Akio and Utena are having sex.  The way I took it was that sex wasn't really her intention because she wasn't sure if she was in love with him or not, and he pressured her into doing it, which made her have to force herself to think, "Oh, this is fine, this is what I want, this is how it's supposed to be," hence her constant babbling in efforts to get her mind away from it.
emot-gonk

#22 | Back to Top10-17-2009 11:01:47 PM

minervana
High Tripper

Another sad moment for me is when you see Saionji and Wakaba laughing and smiling together. Even the first time I saw it I knew it couldn't last, and it's one of the few times in the series you see two characters who are genuinely happy.

I have to agree with people who said Ep. 39 was devastating. For me the worst part of that episode was that Utena thought she'd failed, and that she deserved that punishment. It's ambiguous if she was really pierced by the swords of hate, that's another thread entirely, but her sense of failure was very heartbreaking. Beats a shiny, happy ending though.

#23 | Back to Top11-05-2009 06:21:38 PM

oscarthewild
Rose Bride
Website

Gotta admit that the saddest moment for me is the flashback in episode 34, when Dios is telling Utena about Anthy, and she's crying for him to save her. It's then that she declares that she's going to be a prince and it's touching.

Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.

Board footer