This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-17-2007 11:23:29 PM

Undead Princess
Saionji Slapper
Website

Hypothetical Utena Movie

...And I don't mean the movie that's already been made.

I just want to know if you got the budget and directing power, what kind of Utena movie would you do?
Animated? Live action? CGI? ...Clay animated?!

Who would you want to be in it?

Would you cover the manga, or split the film into 3 parts to cover all of the anime?

I would make a live action one that would cover the same length of time the manga did, but I'd use the same love triangles and attitudes that the anime had.

Sophomore year of highschool, my friends and I wanted to make a short Utena film. I had the perfect cast, as most of my friends acted the part of the characters they wanted to play...
We had an Utena (me, apparently), Wakaba, Anthy, Juri, Miki, Touga, Saionji, Nanami, and a GLORIOUS Akio.
Unfortunately, we didn't have a budget, and Senior year, our Akio died in a house fire (It's ok. You can laugh and say "Damn, that Mikage and his poptarts"), which is why I refuse to even consider doing an Utena movie without our original Akio.
But don't let me be a downer...

Anyways, what would you guys do?

#2 | Back to Top03-17-2007 11:54:10 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Re: Hypothetical Utena Movie

Personally in order to do the series proper justice and perhaps have a shot of delving into further detail I would opt for an HBO or Showtime mini-series or series. Either of those cable stations would be a great venue for Utena if only because there aren't any commercials, or cencors to worry about, and HBO, especially, really does things right.

I think the cast would have to be mostly unknowns, or perhaps little known established actors, which puts this in the live action set. I would work from the original series and just perhaps give it a little added umph. You know like Akio and Touga having a moment, or a bit more revel to Ruka and Juri's past and Juri and Shiori's past.

I would not want to deviate too far from the original, however I think some of the filler episodes would have to perish in order for things to be more cohesive in the live action form. Hair colors would likely have to go to more natural tones, although wonders can be done with the right color hair dyes. This wouldn't just be a cosplay on tv, that would just be...um... not good.

On a converse side of things I'd love to see an animated mini-series that takes place after the duels showing Anthy's journey in seeking out Utena and everything that happens from there. There are a few fan fics that would make for good concepts to form a script. *cougharchmagecough*

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#3 | Back to Top03-18-2007 03:14:35 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Basically I would take the existing movie, because the animation and design in it is just great and make it into a good movie and not something that sounds like the writer was drunk while scripting it. @_____@ I like the Anthy meeting up with Utena idea.

Although my fangirl side is saying: "A Miki movie, damnit, all about twincest and Kozue, er, bonding in the sunlit garden!!"

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#4 | Back to Top03-18-2007 06:51:35 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

YamPuff wrote:

Basically I would take the existing movie, because the animation and design in it is just great and make it into a good movie and not something that sounds like the writer was drunk while scripting it.

It IS a good movie. D< You just have to get it.

I like the Anthy meeting up with Utena idea.

They should make an Archimage movie.

#5 | Back to Top03-18-2007 09:53:11 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

YamPuff wrote:

lthough my fangirl side is saying: "A Miki movie, damnit, all about twincest and Kozue, er, bonding in the sunlit garden!!"

I'd buy that for a dollar! emot-dance

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#6 | Back to Top03-18-2007 11:50:07 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Hina the Prince wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

Basically I would take the existing movie, because the animation and design in it is just great and make it into a good movie and not something that sounds like the writer was drunk while scripting it.

It IS a good movie. D< You just have to get it.

I did get it (somwhat). I just don't like it. Don't like what they did to the characters, don't like all the fanservice.

dollface wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

lthough my fangirl side is saying: "A Miki movie, damnit, all about twincest and Kozue, er, bonding in the sunlit garden!!"

I'd buy that for a dollar! emot-dance

That's ten bucks admittance fee, you. emot-mademot-mademot-mad

Last edited by YamPuff (03-18-2007 11:52:41 AM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#7 | Back to Top03-18-2007 12:36:13 PM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

YamPuff wrote:

they did to the characters, don't like all the fanservice.

Well, did you really expect the characters to get the characters the same amount of development in an hour and a half? The movie was centered around Utena and Anthy, and they got all the development they needed. And the fanservice can't really  be called fanservice, seeing as it was all there for a reason.

Last edited by Hina the Prince (03-18-2007 12:36:50 PM)

#8 | Back to Top03-18-2007 12:38:00 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

I don't think that live-action Utena could work under any circumstances. Some things just have to be done with animation. It wouldn't do to compress the series into a movie for a second time, either - the last time showed just how difficult it is to do the original justice. Not that the movie was bad - it just wasn't much like the original.

I did get it (somwhat). I just don't like it. Don't like what they did to the characters, don't like all the fanservice.

Fanservice? Where? I didn't think the nude scenes were much of a fanservice. Nudity and fanservice are two different things and I didn't see any of the latter in the movie.

An OVA based on the Jaquemart would be a dream come true...Not that there would be a slightest chance.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#9 | Back to Top03-18-2007 01:28:51 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Just to be silly, I wouldn't mind seeing a kind of westernized Bollywood version of the Utena movie. Instead of the movie Rose Bride dress, we'd get Anthy in an obscenely gorgeous red sari. Well, a bit more ornate than that...but you get the idea. It would also get Movie Akio out of that hideous outfit.

But for a slightly more realistic version, I think the series would turn out like the movie Cruel Intentions. We already have siblings in various degrees of incest, so it's not much of a stretch. Akio and Anthy are the Valmont stepsiblings, and Utena is the good girl that gets sucked into their dark and dirty world at their prestigious private school. Besides, the car that Ryan Phillipe drives looks just like the Akio car, only black.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#10 | Back to Top03-18-2007 02:16:03 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

A long time ago, I dreamt that my friend told me that there was going to be an entire movie about Shiori. I would want to make that. I was going to turn that idea into a fanfiction, but it was around the time when I wasn't able to type for a while. I'd be happy seeing just a filler episode about her, never mind an entire movie.

Lightice is right about a live-action movie not working. Symbolism in SKU is played out in a way that just wouldn't work in real life. Things wouldn't make sense, and it would be much harder to interpret.

#11 | Back to Top03-18-2007 03:05:26 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Although a movie all about Shiori would give me a heart attack [best way to die ever!], I know it wouldn't happen anytime soon. I think if they tried to remake the movie, it should have some more elements from Anthy's POV. I know Utena is the main character [It sure ain't Shoujo Kakumei Paris Hilton], but the movie was so one-sided. Yeah, in the small amount of time you are given for a movie you can't fit everyone in the way they deserved, but for one of the main characters, Anthy has very little story in the movie. Sure, we can interpret everything and make her nice and complex, but as far as the things we really see on screen, Anthy hardly qualifies as a character even. You never got to see her have feelings about anything. I know Anthy isn't the big feeling character, but that's why it was so epic in the series. To see her smile, or cry, or yell...she did nothing in the movie. It made her robotic role far less appealing than it was in the series.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#12 | Back to Top03-18-2007 08:31:21 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Any reimagined SKU movie would have to be preceded by an 8 minute Chuchu vs Saionji short. emot-biggrin

The existing movie is my favorite anime film, period, so I can't say that I'd change it at all... but as for a hypothetical movie that I can make however I want?  Hmm...  Maybe something Boogiepop Phantom-style set in the TV SKUniverse, where we see the events at Ohtori non-linearly from different characters' perspectives.  Wakaba, Nanami, Shiori, Miki... all of the second and third tier characters that we don't see as much of in the TV series.  I could go for that.  Animated in the traditional 2D cel way, of course.

Actually, how about a string of Chuchu vs Saionji shorts, a la The Road Runner & Wile E Coyote or Tom & Jerry?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#13 | Back to Top03-19-2007 01:32:36 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

If they were to do a live-action Utena movie, I think it would have to be in the film-comic-book style that they used for the Sin City movie. That could be really cool, but then I just loved the style in that movie.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#14 | Back to Top03-20-2007 01:22:51 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Lightice wrote:

Fanservice? Where? I didn't think the nude scenes were much of a fanservice. Nudity and fanservice are two different things and I didn't see any of the latter in the movie.

The nude art posing scenes? That's fanservice in my eyes. Besides, nudity can be defined as fanservice. At least that's what wikipedia tells me. emot-tongue I didn't see that any of them were needed, nudity certainly was not needed in the anime series to get the point across, and that lack of nudity made it a classy series. I felt the movie was degraded by it.

Hina the Prince wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

they did to the characters, don't like all the fanservice.

Well, did you really expect the characters to get the characters the same amount of development in an hour and a half? The movie was centered around Utena and Anthy, and they got all the development they needed. And the fanservice can't really  be called fanservice, seeing as it was all there for a reason.

I'm not talking about development, just the characters themselves. You know, the way they changed Akio and Touga.

YOU CAN'T MAKE ME LIKE THE MOVIE LEAVE ME LONE. emot-mademot-mademot-mademot-mademot-mad

#15 | Back to Top03-20-2007 02:24:43 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

The nude art posing scenes? That's fanservice in my eyes. Besides, nudity can be defined as fanservice. At least that's what wikipedia tells me. emot-tongue I didn't see that any of them were needed, nudity certainly was not needed in the anime series to get the point across, and that lack of nudity made it a classy series. I felt the movie was degraded by it.

Well, fanservice nudity is meant to give extra titillation to the viewers, but I didn't see anything particulary sexual about the nude-scenes of the movie. They certainly didn't work as turn-ons for me. On the other hand, they seemed to carry symbolical function in them. Especially the one in the end is obviously about rebirth and throwing away the bonds of the old life.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#16 | Back to Top03-20-2007 02:30:23 PM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

YamPuff wrote:

The nude art posing scenes? That's fanservice in my eyes.

How can it be fanservice when it's so very relevant to the plot? It was this scene that showed us the trust Anthy put into Utena,  where Utena find out her secret; plus the whole nudity symbolism of being yourself, without any masks - like that line from the OP, you know?

I didn't see that any of them were needed, nudity certainly was not needed in the anime series to get the point across and that lack of nudity made it a classy series. I felt the movie was degraded by it.

The movie is different than the series. While it carries the same message, the way Ikuhara puts it is entirely different. Not only he didn't have the time to create million-layered characters and plot, he didn't want to. He wanted to be more straightforward. I think the differences between the movie and the series are blessed. Who'd want to see SKU crammed into an hour and a half without any changes, anyway?

The nudity wasn't detailed. They weren't any shots that focused on ass or boobs. It wasn't there so that the watchers could etc-wankdude to it, it was symbolic, it had a point. And what does it matter, really? Most of us already knew Utena and Anthy's relationship is somewhere along those lines, so in the movie we actually see it, too. What, did the big scary lesbians creep you out? emot-tongue

BTW, the series did have nudity.

I'm not talking about development, just the characters themselves. You know, the way they changed Akio and Touga.

Oh come on, Akio was like that all along. emot-tongue

YOU CAN'T MAKE ME LIKE THE MOVIE LEAVE ME LONE. emot-mademot-mademot-mademot-mademot-mad

THAT MAY BE SO, BUT I'LL STILL ARGUE!

Last edited by Hina the Prince (03-20-2007 02:35:00 PM)

#17 | Back to Top03-20-2007 03:01:56 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

The nudity and Anthy Utena didn't 'creep me out'. In fact I wouldn't have minded one or two nude scenes. But it seemed like every other scene some girl is nude on screen. And it felt like fanservice to me. It felt like a cheap shot. Yes it does work, it does have its uses, but not in every other damn scene! 'Lets make them nude because its obviously so symbolic! And again and again, again....' The series barely had any nudity, just the Anthy bits which were just shown on screen for a few seconds if I recall correctly. I like the creative symbolism of the series, not overused symbolism. Anyone and their dog can use nudity to symbolize something. Not anyone can take something as farfetched as an umbrella and turn it into a brilliant symbol.

#18 | Back to Top03-20-2007 03:24:28 PM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

Uh. Huh? There were two nude scenes. Unless you count the Shiori butterfly scene, which, being disgusting and all, was far from fanservice. And it's not like nudity was the only thing symbolic about the movie. I don't think anyone and their dog could turn someone into a car in order to express that person's feelings for another.

#19 | Back to Top03-20-2007 04:01:15 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Alithea wrote:

There are a few fan fics that would make for good concepts to form a script. *cougharchmagecough*

Hina the Prince wrote:

They should make an Archimage movie.

I'm willing and able to produce a script if they want to pay me big bags of money...... emot-keke

And, hey!  Cheap to shoot on location -- Boston and New Orleans.  And lots of backlot!  Oh.  And, er, Greece.  Yeah.  Nevermind.  Although, I suppose, the New Orleans stuff would probably have to be cut for a movie.  Or trimmed heavily.  Gah.

Can I have a whole television series?  One season should do it.

#20 | Back to Top03-20-2007 05:35:39 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

tohubohu wrote:

And, hey!  Cheap to shoot on location -- Boston and New Orleans.  And lots of backlot!  Oh.  And, er, Greece.  Yeah.  Nevermind.  Although, I suppose, the New Orleans stuff would probably have to be cut for a movie.  Or trimmed heavily.  Gah.

Can I have a whole television series?  One season should do it.

You know, the New Orleans scenes wouldn't have to be edited at all. They're filming tons of stuff down there now. Just do what they're doing: film all the tourist-friendly parts like everyone else does. That's the stuff that managed to go unscathed.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#21 | Back to Top03-21-2007 05:13:19 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I don't like the idea of a live action but I'm always like that with anime.

But I think anime movies covering the backgrounds of all the characters would be awesome, a sort of pre series movie special. All their childhoods, everything that happened before they went into Ohtori, or even the start of the Student Council and some of those duels before Utena showed up. In the ep before Miki shows up, in the 'next episode segment' Utena says that Miki has 'only fought one duel'. Intriguing. school-sherlock

Hina the Prince wrote:

Uh. Huh? There were two nude scenes. Unless you count the Shiori butterfly scene, which, being disgusting and all, was far from fanservice. And it's not like nudity was the only thing symbolic about the movie. I don't think anyone and their dog could turn someone into a car in order to express that person's feelings for another.

There was the Miki and Kozue scene, the Shiori scene, the posing art scene and the ending kissing scene. There may have been another. I never say the nudity was the only symbolic bit; I thought it was the worst symbolic bit because nudity as symbolism is overused and cliche. I expected better from the movie. The car bit very original and interesting, so I applaud it with all my heart whereas I think the overuse of nudity in the movie brought it down a few notches. Its like they were making up for all that they couldn't put in the series. Now if the only nude scene had been the one part in the end with the kissing, now that would be impressive. In any case, nudity aside, the movie was still a mess IMO.

#22 | Back to Top03-21-2007 08:48:56 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

You know, the New Orleans scenes wouldn't have to be edited at all. They're filming tons of stuff down there now. Just do what they're doing: film all the tourist-friendly parts like everyone else does. That's the stuff that managed to go unscathed.

Oh, it wasn't the New Orleans location thing that had me saying that it would probably be cut; it's that the story piece in New Orleans isn't mandatory to the plot.  It's a really nice thing to have in there, but not mandatory, if one were trimming hard for a movie script.

#23 | Back to Top03-21-2007 09:45:27 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

YamPuff wrote:

There was the Miki and Kozue scene, the Shiori scene, the posing art scene and the ending kissing scene. There may have been another. I never say the nudity was the only symbolic bit; I thought it was the worst symbolic bit because nudity as symbolism is overused and cliche. I expected better from the movie. The car bit very original and interesting, so I applaud it with all my heart whereas I think the overuse of nudity in the movie brought it down a few notches. Its like they were making up for all that they couldn't put in the series. Now if the only nude scene had been the one part in the end with the kissing, now that would be impressive. In any case, nudity aside, the movie was still a mess IMO.

Actually, series-wise, I think the use of nudity (for Anthy, mostly) used in the series was very good. Well, not so much nudity, but also having her hair down and being without her glasses. When you see her with her glasses and her hair up, she's far more "restrained" and her more distant self, but when her hair is down and her glasses are off, she's more honest and emotional - notice how she goes to sleep without her glasses and with her hair down at the lart arc of the series, when she sleeps with Utena? She always seems more open then. Especially the part where Utena walks in on a naked Anthy with Akio, and the nude Anthy found in the coffin at the end. It's like it's her "true self" in the coffin.

And, of course, when she walked out on Akio and took off her glasses and put her hair down, too. emot-keke She was much more assertive then.

But, yeah, movie-wise, the nudity was pretty over-done and fanservice/cliche, even if I liked it. Actually, I'm pretty sure the movie was supposed to have a lot of fanservice. Wasn't it made because a lot of fans wanted more sexual Utena/Anthy moments?

(On another note - did anyone notice how Anthy's eyes widened when Utena took off her clothing? I made so many prince/penis jokes at that part. school-devil She was just like "O.O", but I guess it's symbolic. Nudity - true self being revealed)

In any case, it didn't really bother me in the movie because, well.. I guess I'm one of those fans that doesn't mind some more romantic hintings for Utena/Anthy, so I definitely enjoyed it. school-devil etc-love But, yeah. Like I said in another thread, the movie is like a dessert to me, while the series is the main meal. Dessert as in it's sweet and delicious and nummy but not as good for you and doesn't have nearly as much substance, but it's still nice and fun to have sometimes.

..oops. I went way off-track. I'm sorry. ):

On-topic: Man, there are so many answers that people have already said that I would love seeing. But what would I do? I'm not sure. \: The series has so much development already, so many a little series of extra movies for the Utena movie, to give it more depth. I don't know. I don't usually like movie sequals, though, so maybe not. (A longer movie would have been nice, though, to give more insight for the other characters)

What about SKU, the Broadway play? emot-biggrin

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (03-21-2007 09:52:11 AM)

#24 | Back to Top03-21-2007 11:22:53 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Especially the part where Utena walks in on a naked Anthy with Akio, and the nude Anthy found in the coffin at the end. It's like it's her "true self" in the coffin.

This makes me wonder... what about Anthy when she is suspended in the air while the swords hit her? Was that her true self too? Or was it how Utena saw her? Because she was still the Rose Bride at that time (or so she thought).
Hmm, maybe we should make a new thread for the analysis of the last two episodes...

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

(On another note - did anyone notice how Anthy's eyes widened when Utena took off her clothing? I made so many prince/penis jokes at that part. school-devil She was just like "O.O", but I guess it's symbolic. Nudity - true self being revealed)

That was so brilliant! I'll never forget her expression! emot-biggrin
As for the symbolic side of it, it makes me wonder why she reacted that way. Was it because she wasn't sure someone would actaully reveal themself to her like that and quit playing games? Or was it for what she saw? school-devil
I know I'd feel embarassed too if someone looked at me like that.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#25 | Back to Top03-21-2007 11:38:44 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

What about SKU, the Broadway play? emot-biggrin

A UFO falls from the ceiling instead of a chandelier. emot-biggrin

As for how the movie would be if left up to me...let's see. Akio leaves Ohtori Academy and takes over a high rise in downtown New York City. He wears Gianni Campagna suits and seduces half the city into doing his bidding. His power grows as his influence does, and eventually, the whole world knows his name, but not that they've all been dragged into the coffin with him. There are several sex scenes, some of them with Touga in Brioni. Anthy is a florist in the village, who lives a long life but is eventually one of the few people to actually die after Akio takes over the world.

...what? emot-mad The actual Utena movie read just as much like a bad fanfic. emot-mad

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer