This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-15-2016 07:08:37 PM

SaigonAlice
Tenjou Tilter

Final Fantasy Discussion

I'm nearly finished the game and, the more I ponder about it, the more I find thematic similarities between it and Utena.  A coming-to-age story featuring emotional depth? Rebelling against established norms and constitutions? The philosophical debate between a more comforting illusion vs the painful reality?  Why, it's basically Utena! Well... no it's not, since what I pointed out are actually very vaguely defined and common plot elements in anime, manga, games etc. But whatever, comparing the two is not what this thread if for! It's time to discuss Final Fantasy x (and, begrudgingly, other installments).

So can I just start with how obviously childbirth-inspired Anima's design is? Let's take a look.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c … 915C554B2/ (link because the image is too big to fit)

The jaws (?) on the side are, presumably, what's left of the vagina after birthing this abomination. And what a decidedly monstrous and awesome-looking baby it is! However the design also serves as a metaphor for the ongoing themes of Final Fantasy X and, spoilers, [a comment on Seymour character, as well as his relationship to his mother. As you know, Anima is the fayth of Seymour's mom and a failed Final Aeon. She goaded him into the pilgrimage to stop sin - pratically forced him into it against his will. Seymor was made prematurely (at ten years old) to face the emotional trauma and grief of having his mother stripped from him, which likely tied into his preoccupation with becoming Sin, death and the afterlife.

So when you summon Anima, the animation has Yuna tug her out with a chain and hook out of a sort of portal, symbolising the painful transition from a comfortable childhood into adulthood in order to meet the harsh societal expectations (especially that of a Summoner). Out of the womb and just jutting itself from the vagina, so to speak.emot-tongue But why is it Anima, Seymour's mom, who is being forced out? My theory is that when she was goading Seymour, she too was acting childish. She was expecting a ten year old to have the emotional maturity to face the Summoner's task and not absolutely fall on his feet. She even admits that it is her fault that Seymour became the way he is and y'know...I kinda agree with her.
]

Last edited by SaigonAlice (12-15-2016 07:09:47 PM)

Thân em như quả mít trên cây,
Vỏ nó sù sì, múi nó dày.
Quân tử có yêu thì đóng cọc,
Xin đừng mân mó nhựa ra tay. - Hồ Xuân Hương

#2 | Back to Top12-16-2016 08:50:08 PM

pagetheplush
Juri Jeerer
Website

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion

Ooh! I've never thought of that interpretation of anima's design before! I'm looking forward to hearing more of your insight, and to maybe provide some of my own in the future. I've been taking a break from ff recently but I've been playing the games for much of my lie and I hit sort of a peak obsession point with them last year. There definitely moments when the heavy use of symbolism seems to echo sku's use of it, especially when we get mr. Freud involved.
I can't wait to see more of this thread emot-dance

...I also feel kind of bad for Seymour now

🌹Let's become like rose petals, blowing free!🌹

#3 | Back to Top12-23-2016 05:56:35 AM

SaigonAlice
Tenjou Tilter

pagetheplush wrote:

Ooh! I've never thought of that interpretation of anima's design before! I'm looking forward to hearing more of your insight, and to maybe provide some of my own in the future. I've been taking a break from ff recently but I've been playing the games for much of my lie and I hit sort of a peak obsession point with them last year. There definitely moments when the heavy use of symbolism seems to echo sku's use of it, especially when we get mr. Freud involved.
I can't wait to see more of this thread emot-dance

...I also feel kind of bad for Seymour now

Awww thank you! Tbh I was bit embarrassed posting this in a forum known for its high-quality academic analysis so you telling me this was a huge boost in self-esteem.

Just an additional note on Anima's name - I don't think it was a mistake the Aeon was called that. Anima, as we know, is the Jungian term for the repressed feminine persona of men. Feminine behaviours are often characterised with being more emotionally sensitive and, in extension, compassionate.

How I see it in relation to Seymour's trauma, [is that the moment Seymour's mother became Anima, Seymour's own Anima (kindness, compassion etc.) was sealed.  ]

Thân em như quả mít trên cây,
Vỏ nó sù sì, múi nó dày.
Quân tử có yêu thì đóng cọc,
Xin đừng mân mó nhựa ra tay. - Hồ Xuân Hương

#4 | Back to Top01-16-2017 04:20:17 PM

DiddlyPanda
Anthy Assailer

Honestly, as far as FF installments go, I'm not exceptionally fond of X. And I don't think I'd ever put much thought into the whole dynamic that you brought up. Thinking back it makes a lot of sense and now I feel like a dunce for not catching it sooner, so thanks for that. Heheh. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses, tbh. I...might end up replaying FFX now as well...

Icarus is flying too close to the sun
And Icarus's life, it has only just begun
This is how it feel to take a fall
Icarus is flying towards an early grave

#5 | Back to Top01-28-2017 04:51:24 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

If anyone here is playing FFXIV on the Gilgamesh server, then holy shit, let's be friends! emot-dance

Final Fantasy X was great, and I'd really like to play the remastered version at some point. (Thought I still don't own a PS3, but I'm guessing it's cheaper now?) e.e Honestly, I'd rather play FFX-2, and I don't know why I haven't played that yet.

#6 | Back to Top02-02-2017 08:06:06 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

I want to get into XIV(I got a copy in a Humble Bundle), but my rig can't run it -- not without adding a better video card and an accompanying PSU.

Plus I still have a horrific backlog to go through.

And I'm still on my second playthrough of XV. Can't wait for the Magitek Suits, though. They'll help when I finally take on Adamantoise.

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

Board footer