This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-09-2006 06:50:22 PM

BakaElf
Miki Molester
Website

Utena Novels

O.O I disappear for a few weeks (and probably will be again. Nano + upcoming job = teh suck) and this place just EXPLODES...

Anyways, I was hoping someone who wasn't me had information on the two Utena novels? emot-keke; I picked them up from eBay roughly two years ago. Here's what I've gleaned from staring blankly at them/found using the ISBN.

Vol 1: 少女革命ウテナ ー蒼の双樹- (A Pair of Blue Trees)
Vol 2: 少女革命ウテナ ー翠の想い- (Green Wish)
Print year: 1998 (The first one in January, the second in March)
Printed by Palette ?
Vol 1: ISBN4-09-420243-9
Vol 2: ISBN4-09-420244-7

Written by Ichirou Ohkouchi (?)
There's also a credit to Be-Papas and Chiho Saitou on the cover, and Saitou did the illustrations. (Which I've been meaning to scan, actually. >>)

Uhm. Yes.

I'd say something brave and amazing like "I WILL TRANSLATE THEM FOR YOU!" but...Well, I'll give it a shot if there's not something floating around, but.... It will probably take a considerable amount of time, so don't hold your breath. emot-keke; Needs...more....furigana....

((ETA: Rough Title Translations))

Last edited by BakaElf (11-09-2006 07:24:29 PM)

#2 | Back to Top11-09-2006 07:13:44 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Utena Novels

wait

WHAT???? SCANS. NOW.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top11-09-2006 07:14:53 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

I didn't know there were Utena novels!

I'd translate 想い more as "wish" - since that's what Juri's line is: 奇跡を信じて…想いはとどくと。

If I had them, I'd translate them for you guys! But I don't (as I didn't know they existed), and I'd dearly love to read them, so maybe you should tackle a translation project? ^o^

#4 | Back to Top11-09-2006 07:20:59 PM

BakaElf
Miki Molester
Website

Ger wrote:

I didn't know there were Utena novels!

I'd translate 想い more as "wish" - since that's what Juri's line is: 奇跡を信じて…想いはとどくと。

Aaaah~ Okay *goes to edit*

Ger wrote:

If I had them, I'd translate them for you guys! But I don't (as I didn't know they existed), and I'd dearly love to read them, so maybe you should tackle a translation project? ^o^

Maybe I will! emot-biggrin

*meanwhile, fighting with her stroke-counting/laptop cursor kanji drawing skillz to transcribe the inner flap of the first one* ;;;

#5 | Back to Top11-09-2006 07:22:51 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

HOLY SHITE

SOMETHING THAT EM WAS NOT AWARE OF OH GOD COLLECTOR RAGE RISING

Gio, you realize this means we have to find these and get them translated. Like now.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#6 | Back to Top11-09-2006 07:23:52 PM

BakaElf
Miki Molester
Website

Giovanna wrote:

wait

WHAT???? SCANS. NOW.

*meek* As soon as I can beat my mother's scanner into submission. (My computer is all...dead.)

#7 | Back to Top11-09-2006 07:30:05 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Yasha wrote:

HOLY SHITE

Gio, you realize this means we have to find these and get them translated. Like now.

I'm willing to translate if BakaElf needs some help, though I don't have the novels. emot-dance I've been looking for a new translation project for some time. ^o^v

I just did a search on amazon.co.jp and found both of them for sale used, for about 50 yen each (50 cents US). The shipping to North America is about 1200 yen each, though ($11 US)....and I don't think used books ship overseas.

Book 1: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4094 … 26-9361543
Book 2: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4094 … 26-9361543

Last edited by Ger (11-09-2006 09:49:16 PM)

#8 | Back to Top11-09-2006 07:38:16 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

Shite, shite, this is amazing. There is undiscovered Utena to plunder! emot-gonk

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#9 | Back to Top11-09-2006 07:40:25 PM

Almaser
Qualified Duellist

Holy holy hippos, Batman! UTENA NOVELS! etc-love

I volunteer to help out with the translation, I've got shitloads of freetime for the coming months (last exam way today emot-dance)

#10 | Back to Top11-09-2006 07:44:49 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

UTENA NOVEL TRANSLATION PROJECT!!!!! emot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

..........that's kind of a lot of pages of novel to scan though.......

#11 | Back to Top11-09-2006 07:59:44 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

For a moment I thought it was a doujinshi, but it says it's by Saitou Chiho, so I guess that it must be real. : D I wish that I knew enough kanji to read it.

Please translate this... I'm begging you. emot-gonk

#12 | Back to Top11-09-2006 08:35:45 PM

BakaElf
Miki Molester
Website

Ger wrote:

..........that's kind of a lot of pages of novel to scan though.......

That's my worry. ;;;;;;;;;;;; 'Specially 'cause I'm on dial up. (I know, kill me now. emot-gonk)

*meanwhile scan-scan-scans the illustrations*

Last edited by BakaElf (11-09-2006 08:58:12 PM)

#13 | Back to Top11-09-2006 10:15:41 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

HOLY SHITE

It's been a long time since I had money to keep up. emot-frown There are a bunch of things SKU that I need. There's a cassette tape with what I believe are phone message recordings by the characters. You know, like Touga saying 'She's busy, leave a message.' or something.

If no one else is up to slaughtering the books/scanning, I'll try to save up some cash for the books. The translating I'd have to leave to someone else, but my naughty bits throb at this. New SKU stuff??? etc-wankgirl  etc-wankgirl  etc-wankgirl

This is a pretty big project if they're novels. If we have a couple translators on board, we're SO doing this. Yasha and I can cover scanning and hosting the project, and the forum would be a communication point for the project. This would be seriously ten tons of cool, and it's a little easier for us learn on than attempting a rom translation. This is crap we know how to do, we just need enough translators. Or Ger, if Ger is a mad crazy translation factory. emot-smile

How we'd go about this does, naturally, depend on how many translators are involved. Too many and we'll start scanning pages, if it's just a couple we need to get them copies of the novels.

Ger and BakaElf would be translating...anyone else?

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#14 | Back to Top11-09-2006 10:34:33 PM

Kealdrea
Anthy Assailer

If you're going to translate a novel, make sure you have a lot of translators who are really dedicated. Being a fan of visual novels, I know a lot about fan translations. Kanon was six times the length of the average Shaksphere play, and took two or three years to translate. But then again, I think only one person was translating it. Wind ~a breath of heart~ took two years to translate, and I think they had twenty people, including the programmers.

But I think it should be easier to translate a normal book, since it will have a lot less text. @.@ I dunno.

Jitsu wa hitode desu...

#15 | Back to Top11-09-2006 10:41:56 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I'd volunteer, except I... don't... know Japanese. I should have gone to the school that offered it!

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#16 | Back to Top11-09-2006 11:07:38 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Giovanna wrote:

This is a pretty big project if they're novels. If we have a couple translators on board, we're SO doing this. Yasha and I can cover scanning and hosting the project, and the forum would be a communication point for the project. This would be seriously ten tons of cool, and it's a little easier for us learn on than attempting a rom translation. This is crap we know how to do, we just need enough translators. Or Ger, if Ger is a mad crazy translation factory. emot-smile

How we'd go about this does, naturally, depend on how many translators are involved. Too many and we'll start scanning pages, if it's just a couple we need to get them copies of the novels.

Ger and BakaElf would be translating...anyone else?

I was so excited about this that I've requested a copy of the second novel (Green/Emerald Wish) from amazon.co.jp tonight. The Marketplace used book sellers don't ship overseas, but I'm going through a go-between company that can ship to me. The quoted price to me was about 2200 yen in total ($20 US).

As for crazy-mad translation factory....I did a complete translation of Gackt's autobiography about 3 years ago, so I think I qualify school-devil I'm guessing this novel will be easier reading than Jihaku was. XD I don't have enough spending money at the moment to buy the first novel, though, so definitely someone else will have to do that one......

From the book description I read, the one I ordered is from Wakaba's POV, about Saionji and Anthy, which is right up my alley.

Last edited by Ger (11-09-2006 11:09:57 PM)

#17 | Back to Top11-10-2006 09:31:46 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Dear god. I am stunned and astonished and immediately want my own copies. Unfotunately, as a second-year student of Japanese in college, I would be completely unable to read them, much less help translate them.

#18 | Back to Top11-10-2006 10:58:23 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Ger wrote:

As for crazy-mad translation factory....I did a complete translation of Gackt's autobiography about 3 years ago, so I think I qualify school-devil I'm guessing this novel will be easier reading than Jihaku was. XD I don't have enough spending money at the moment to buy the first novel, though, so definitely someone else will have to do that one......

From the book description I read, the one I ordered is from Wakaba's POV, about Saionji and Anthy, which is right up my alley.

...........YOU!!!!!

I read that translation. Gackt is hilarious. Unintentionally hilarious, but still. I fully endorse this product and/or service if you'll translate.

Also, 'the last secret garden' is one of my favorite songs by Gackt. He may be unintentionally hilarious but that boy can make some gorgeous music.

Edit: Holy carp what's with my title emot-mad

Last edited by Yasha (11-10-2006 10:59:09 AM)

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#19 | Back to Top11-10-2006 11:16:08 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

school-devil

Ger wrote:

You win at the translating and Saionji shrine making. I love you.

There are actually quite a few things in the art books that could use a quick translation...interviews and such that'd be really awesome to have if this goes well and you want to give them a shot. I could provide scans of the text, although Yasha would have to send the artbooks back to me. (I don't think she has a scanner.)

Also, Ger and BakaElf, since you two seem to be the ones on the ground floor, by all means let Yasha and I know what we can do to help. I'd certainly be happy to webmaster/host the thing so you guys can concentrate on sweet translating sexiness.

I can't wait to get home and see the scans BakaElf sent me etc-love

#20 | Back to Top11-10-2006 12:17:05 PM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

Like this this? O.o

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#21 | Back to Top11-10-2006 12:30:43 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Yasha wrote:

...........YOU!!!!!

I read that translation. Gackt is hilarious. Unintentionally hilarious, but still. I fully endorse this product and/or service if you'll translate.

Also, 'the last secret garden' is one of my favorite songs by Gackt. He may be unintentionally hilarious but that boy can make some gorgeous music.

*dies* I swear that book took like 10 years off my life. Half the time I didn't know whether to kill Gackt or hug him for his god-awful grammar and roundabout way of writing.
XD I'm glad you liked it though. And yes omg Secret Garden is etc-loveetc-love Thank you Gackt for inspiring my Mikage icon. XDD

Sey wrote:

Like this this? O.o

Hmm from the auction description, that seems to be a collected book of Saito Chiho and other production interviews etc....
Though the auction is ended. emot-frown

Last edited by Ger (11-10-2006 12:42:33 PM)

#22 | Back to Top11-10-2006 12:35:01 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Giovanna wrote:

There are actually quite a few things in the art books that could use a quick translation...interviews and such that'd be really awesome to have if this goes well and you want to give them a shot. I could provide scans of the text, although Yasha would have to send the artbooks back to me. (I don't think she has a scanner.)

Also, Ger and BakaElf, since you two seem to be the ones on the ground floor, by all means let Yasha and I know what we can do to help. I'd certainly be happy to webmaster/host the thing so you guys can concentrate on sweet translating sexiness.

etc-love It would awesome to make this into a forum endeavor thingy...I'm volunteering to get started on my book when it gets here (about a week or so, they told me), and I guess BakaElf  is the only other person who has a copy of these right now. Maybe we can post chapters as they get translated and then you could make up a section on EM or something for them?

As for the interview translations and such you mentioned, sure I have no problem doing them, as long as they are not 1000000+ pages of interview of DOOM or anything like that school-devil I think Almaser mentioned knowing Japanese also, so maybe we could have a little mini Utena translation project going? emot-dance

#23 | Back to Top11-10-2006 01:10:40 PM

BakaElf
Miki Molester
Website

Ger wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

etc-love It would awesome to make this into a forum endeavor thingy...I'm volunteering to get started on my book when it gets here (about a week or so, they told me), and I guess BakaElf  is the only other person who has a copy of these right now. Maybe we can post chapters as they get translated and then you could make up a section on EM or something for them?

That sounds like an awesome plan to me~ emot-danceemot-danceemot-dance

#24 | Back to Top11-10-2006 02:59:58 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Right, so I saw the scans from the books and wondered WHERE THE FUCK IS AKIO.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/TougaBed.jpg

Here we have Touga. On a bed. Bent over, glancing behind him. We see a second party's leg, masculine but pale. He's watching. This, I suspect, is Saionji.

I think we all know where Akio is.

#25 | Back to Top11-10-2006 06:52:05 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Giovanna wrote:

There's a cassette tape with what I believe are phone message recordings by the characters. You know, like Touga saying 'She's busy, leave a message.' or something.

I'm pretty sure those are on the Sega Saturn game. I am still working on getting the video downloaded but audio is a problem.emot-frown

Board footer