This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-11-2007 11:03:54 AM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

[Villain - Federal Heights]Biotech Bribery

Federal Heights, the center of this eras modern technology, also housed governmental offices.  Between the biotech firms, lawyers and politicians, the city was surprisingly free of petty crime.  The people were rich, that was for sure, but the private security firms and lack of run-down clubs, bars and other such places lent the area to being safe.  The crime in this city was white collar crime.  Embezzlement, corrupted politicians, unregulated scientific experimentation could be found if one looked in the right place. 

Angela Wetworth was a biochemist and geneticist working at a biotech company called BioGen Inc.  The lead scientist on their newest project, Angela was slated for a press conference.  A new breakthrough in the cosmetics industry, BioGen Inc was ready to unveil their anti-aging cream they've named Revitalize.  The beauty to this cream wasn't that it simply slowed down the aging process, but it actually reversed it through stimulating the creation of new cell growth. 

Angela, a beautiful brunette with British features and a noticeable accent, took her place at the podium outside the entrance to BioGen Inc.  Cameras flashed as many a media personnel took pictures, the hum if several video cameras rolling underlay the dun of conversation.  Silence descended, save the rolling cameras, and Angela proceeded to give her press conference about the new cosmetic cream. 

She was more than capable of delivering her prepared speech smoothly and answer the questions sent her way with ease.  She'd spent many hours over the last week learning to conceal her minor anxiety over the Revitalize.  The cream certainly did what it said, but Angela believed it should be heavily controlled and regulated by the FDA and be available by prescription only, not over the counter.  The company had buried her reports describing the side effects if the recommended dosages listed on the label were abused repeatedly. 

She was unhappy with the development to suppress this information, but the payoff to keep her mouth shut was too much to resist.  She liked to think she was above such things, but a million dollar hush-hush payoff would probably have caused the local superhero to turn a blind eye.   No one was so high and mighty that they couldn't be bought off.  It was just a question of how much.

The Brit finished her conference and, with the grace of a woman that's comfortable with herself and her good looks without being snobbish about them, bid her farewells and returned inside the building to her office.  She sighed, picked up her laptop as well as several discs with files and waited for the crowd of reporters to disperse.  She was tired and needed to get home to feed the cat.  And decide what exactly she was going to do with her hush money. 

Angela made her way to where her silver Mercedes was parked in her personalized parking spot at the front, and got in.  She took a couple minutes of fumbling through her cds before she located one that appealed to her.  Slipping the disc into her car stereo, the soothing sounds of jazz filled her car.  It was time to go home.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#2 | Back to Top01-11-2007 03:04:28 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Re: [Villain - Federal Heights]Biotech Bribery

Mike Reauchip sat in the lounge outside of the conference room, diligently typing away at his laptop.  He had glanced up as Angela passed him on the way out of the building.  After having glanced up for a moment, he had returned to typing, with a grin on his face.

Mike continued his rapid keystrokes, and glanced out at the Mercedes in the parking lot.  Yes, it did indeed have an OnStar sticker on the dash.  Good, this should go pretty smoothly, he thought to himself.  A few more keystrokes, and then a triumphant punch of the 'Return' key.

He waited.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#3 | Back to Top01-11-2007 11:11:23 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Angela was starting to relax, the piano chiming softly along with the rest of the music when her vehicle's OnStar booted up.  She slowed down a little and glanced at the display. 

"How odd..." 

Perhaps she needed to take it to the shop to get looked at - some breakdown in the computer, maybe.  She shrugged her shoulders and increased her speed once more.  Lacey was already going to be upset at her, it was well past her normal feeding time, and the thoughts of a bubble bath sounded delicious.  The Mercedes approached an intersection and Angela put her right blibnker on.

"Left turn," the automated voice from the OnStar computer spoke as the car slowed down.  Angela shook her head.  She definitely needed to get it looked at.

She made to turn the steering wheel to the riht, but to her vast surprise, it turned left and the car accelerated on its own.  She stepped on the brake to no avail.  That car was not in her control.  She quickly unbuckled her safety belt and reache dinto the glove box.  A small black hand-gun was extracted and once more the belt was back on.  Angela kjept the gun in her lap, the feel of the cold steel mustering up nary a comfort as the car continued on its course without her guidance.

Angela was scared.  "Where are you taking me?" she asked the Mercedes.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#4 | Back to Top01-12-2007 07:44:08 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

"I'm so glad you asked," said a calm voice. It continued, still chillingly calm, "You see, since you have taken it upon yourself to use unnatural means to play with life, I have decided to take you for a little ride.  Don't worry... your life is not in any danger, so long as you listen to me.  This is the Binary Fusion Navigation System at your service."

Mike, no... Binary Fusion looked on with delight at his laptop screen.  A GPS tracker and OnStar navigation module in one corner, Angela's personal info in another, and Angela's complete research, thesis, and presentation transcript and slides at the ready in another window.  Also on the screen was a menu that had what seemed to be access to every computer-controlled device in Angela's Mercedes, and with such a luxury vehicle, this was nearly everything.

'Binary Fusion' spoke again. "Ah yes, light jazz.  I enjoy that myself every once and again myself.  How about track 4 though? That's my favorite from this CD." Binary Fusion hit the right arrow key on his keyboard three times.

"A fine listening choice after a tough day of presentations and getting cozy with high-level executives, wouldn't you say? Biotechnology is it? Mm-hmm, a very distinguished field. Highly respectable... most of the time.  We should all strive to learn more about ourselves.  Funny I should say that, I've learned quite a lot about you, Miss Wetworth."

All of this was said with an air of complete nonchalance.  The tone was not threatening, but the message was clear.

"Please make sure your seatbelt is fastened, Miss Wetworth, we'll be merging onto the highway shortly."

To those few still milling about the conference room lounge, Mike Reauchip appeared to be doing no more than having perhaps a videoconference.  He looked at what remained of the refreshment bar.  I could go for some fresh-baked cookies right now, he thought to himself.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#5 | Back to Top01-12-2007 11:23:09 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Angela's breath caught in her throat when the OnStar started talking to her.  She had no idea hwat was going on.  Someone had obviously hijacked her car, kidnapping her, for no apparent reaon other than something about her job.  She was one of the top in the field, a hot commodity if she ever decided to turn free agent and look for employment outside of BioGen Inc, but this Binary Fusion didn't seem the type. 

Was this because of the payoff she took?  Was this Binary Fusion some hippie neoterrorist that had an issue with their animal testing?  Frankly, Angela had no clue what this... man(?) wanted. 

She touched the seatbelt she'd already buckled on before the madman that kidnapped her told her to put it on.  This told her he couldn't see in the car.  he could hear, but not see.  This meant he didn't know she had the gun.  He said he wasn't going to kill her, but that left a lot of room for interpretation.  She tucked the pistol into the waist of her pants and fixed her blouse and jacket over it so it was concealed. 

As the car started up the ramp for the highway, Angela gritted her teeth and forced herself to calm down.  She needed to be rational, logical and not a screaming twit.  She grabbed her cellphone out of her purse and dialed 911.

#6 | Back to Top01-17-2007 03:59:24 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Binary Fusion looked on his screen as the Mercedes entered the highway.  He merged it effortlessly into traffic, as if he were in contact with the steering wheel and pedals.  He began to speak once more, just as calmly as before...

"My dear Miss Wetworth, we need to talk about this business of using your technological means for such insignificant personal gains as money.  Now, don't get me wrong... I couldn't care less about the million dollars you took to keep those dirty little secrets of yours safe."

The car continued along the highway, its destination the outskirts of the city.

"I'm glad that you decided to fill your gas tank this morning, we may have to drive a while."

Back in the conference hall lobby, Binary Fusion was meticulously packing his things into his briefcase, and had transferred all of his data on Angela and her car to his palmPC.  He walked outside, pushed a button on his watch, and waited.  A few minutes later, a blue Jetta pulled up to the curbside.  He opened the door and settled himself in the driver's seat.  Nobody had driven the car to this location, Binary Fusion simply called it from his home office to pick him up, as it were...  He opened his briefcase once more and connected the laptop to the car's console with a firewire cable.

Inside Angela's car, Binary Fusion's voice spoke again.  "Now, if your notes are correct - and I'm sure they are coming from someone of your caliber - your main research facility was actually offsite, and you only brought the work to BioGen when it was ready for refinement and preparation for final testing.  I'd like to see this secondary laboratory of yours, so I hope you'll be kind enough to give me a tour."

Binary Fusion instructed his Jetta to follow a similar route to Angela's car, which was now some 20 minutes ahead of him.  This would give him plenty of time to calculate his next move.

((edited for spelling only, no actions were changed!))

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (01-17-2007 04:01:03 PM)

#7 | Back to Top01-17-2007 10:50:19 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Angela was stunned by the amount of information this Binary FUsion had on her and it almost made her miss the emergency personnel picking up the line.

"State your name and emergency," the calm female voice on the other end spoke.

"My name is Angela Wetworth and I'm trapped in my car.  It's been hijacked by some guy called Binary Fusion.  I believe he might be one of those superpowered beings we have now," Angela replied trying to stay as controlled as she could.  "The car is travelling south on Highway 422.  I believe he is taking me to Aurora."  She gave the make and model of her car as well as her license plate number. 

"We've got a lock on your current location, Miss Wetsworth.  Please try to remain calm and the police will be on their way," the dispach told her.

"I'll try.  Might be a good idea to send one of those heroes to help out.  I don;t know what all this guy can do."

"We'll see who we can get a hold of.  Good bye." she said before disconnecting the call.

Angela swallowed and kept an eye out to see where the car was heading.  She also sent a text message to her chief of security at her personal lab in Aurora warning him that she was in trouble.  He'd be ready for whomever might arrive.

Board footer