This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-14-2012 11:45:44 PM

KOness
Wakaba Wrangler

Crazy project - Utena-themed army

UPDATE: The Utena Army at war! A quick skirmish battle to test the students' resolve! emot-dance

http://utenaarmy.freevar.com/

UPDATE 2: Lots of pictures of the completed army, including images of Saionji, Touga and Miki based on the movies. Also the Wakaba Tank, lots of new things emot-smile

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/image … 0Army.html

Original post:

*waves* hi all emot-smile

Hmm, let's see. Huge long-time Utena fan, lurked shamelessly to make use of the amazing Saturn game translations. These forums have the best Utena conversations ever emot-biggrin

Okay so anyhow - I occasionally play wargames in-between re-watching episodes of Utena. In a moment of madness I decided it would be a good idea to commission someone to paint an entire army of "space nun" sisters of battle warriors (from Warhammer 40k - hopefully some of you have heard of that...) since right now I'm a bit too busy with another project to do them myself, but didn't want to waste the random inspiration. I wrote a backstory and vague justification, provided design templates based on Utena characters and at this time they're being painted.

Last edited by KOness (07-23-2012 03:57:18 PM)

#2 | Back to Top01-15-2012 02:39:17 PM

The Second Penguin
Wakaba Wrangler

Re: Crazy project - Utena-themed army

Neat! I'll be following along waiting for the pink tank!

#3 | Back to Top01-18-2012 09:26:25 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

That sounds so cool! I wish I could paint or sculpt.  Now are these figurines for display or some kind of board game?

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#4 | Back to Top01-18-2012 10:22:46 AM

wblstudios
Banned

I don't play Warhammer or anything like that, but damned if this isn't going to make the most epic game of Checkers ever.

#5 | Back to Top01-22-2012 04:03:48 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

This is totally amazing. emot-biggrin My favorite kinds of fanworks are the unusual ones. I can't wait to see the little additions to the models.

So the goal is to have a single complete force? (I dunno Warhammer too well I'm afraid)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top01-22-2012 05:39:22 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

That's awesome!!  My ex-roommates played Warhammer all the time, I wanted to get into it but it never happened.  They got really into custom painting and started making molds to mass-produce real scale Space Marines and Wolves. 
Sisters of Battle where my favorites.
ChuChu will be so adorable.

Haha, you could even use Akio-cars as terrain.

Last edited by Iris (01-22-2012 05:39:57 PM)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#7 | Back to Top01-25-2012 12:13:21 AM

The Second Penguin
Wakaba Wrangler

Iris wrote:

Haha, you could even use Akio-cars as terrain.

Akio cars and desks!

#8 | Back to Top02-16-2012 03:58:30 PM

KOness
Wakaba Wrangler

First post updated with link to all the pictures so far! It's a real Utena army, lol! emot-dance

#9 | Back to Top02-27-2012 12:21:10 AM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

Oh man, the pink and purple tanks really pull this army together for me. poptart Once you get some rose decals and such going it'll be great. And the Anthy Penitent Engine is a great idea - but right now, the figure in the gallery has red hair and green clothes?

When you do get this all finished and have a chance to field the army... I expect battle reports. emot-wink For the Prince! Er, Emperor!

#10 | Back to Top03-02-2012 06:40:03 PM

KOness
Wakaba Wrangler

Dallbun wrote:

Oh man, the pink and purple tanks really pull this army together for me. poptart Once you get some rose decals and such going it'll be great. And the Anthy Penitent Engine is a great idea - but right now, the figure in the gallery has red hair and green clothes?

When you do get this all finished and have a chance to field the army... I expect battle reports. emot-wink For the Prince! Er, Emperor!

Ask and you shall receive emot-rofl

Webpage updated with a brief report of the army's first battle!

Still a lot more army to come, for bigger confrontations emot-smile

Last edited by KOness (03-02-2012 06:40:21 PM)

#11 | Back to Top03-15-2012 05:21:36 PM

The Second Penguin
Wakaba Wrangler

That's the over-the-top way that 40k should be played. Next, you should defend Ohtori from the Tater Titan!

#12 | Back to Top03-15-2012 05:35:52 PM

Dallbun

I forgot to respond earlier, but thanks for the battle report! It was really well-done! I was wondering how you were going to explain giving each main character an entire color-coded squad, but flavoring them as fangirls is quite appropriate. emot-rofl (Or in Nanami's case, henchgirls?)

More games in the future, huh? I wonder what the most appropriate enemy for an Utena army would be. Some kind of Slaanesh forces, perhaps?

#13 | Back to Top07-23-2012 03:59:10 PM

KOness
Wakaba Wrangler

New update: Lots of pictures of the completed army, including images of Saionji, Touga and Miki based on the movies. Also the Wakaba Tank, lots of new things emot-smile

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/image … 0Army.html emot-rofl

#14 | Back to Top07-25-2012 09:03:30 AM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

I normally don't like Warhammer things but OH MAN PINK UTENA TANK. With fleur-de-lis and medieval gold touches! *swoon*

Hat Mafia Member

#15 | Back to Top07-25-2012 09:09:13 AM

Dallbun

Wow, you're so loaded with tanks that even Mari gets one! And the squad leader Student Council members are looking good! A very impressive force! I'm hoping for a second battle report.

If you're planning on adding more to the army, I vote Shadow Girls. Sisters of Battle can field assassins, right? emot-tongue

#16 | Back to Top07-25-2012 02:50:17 PM

KOness
Wakaba Wrangler

Next is a female Inquisitor in Mikage's colours, plus a very rare "Ephrael Stern" figure pained as Mamiya.

I didn't think of Shadow Girl Assassins! I even have a couple of the female assassin models I could paint.

I would point out that the two girls with the Loudspeakers are supposed to be a sort of A-Ko and B-Ko duo already. But painting them with black faces would have looked weird (I really should give them pink hair though).

Also note that one of the "Death Cult Assassins" is pictured with a frog because she is essentially Chu-Chu, she is Anthy's personal assassin hence painted in Chu Chu colours. You may notice there is also an assassin painted in Red and Black, who pairs with Chu Chu and is representing Keroppon emot-biggrin

The tied up captive woman who acts as an objective marker is supposed to be Kanae emot-smile

#17 | Back to Top08-16-2016 09:17:37 PM

Dallbun

KOness, if you're still around on the forums, did you make any more progress on your army? Play any more games? I thought it was a really cool fandom crossover project. emot-smile

And have you seen this? Looks like there are at least two Utena-themed Sisters of Battles armies in the world.

http://www.deathquaker.org/gaming/revolrose.html

#18 | Back to Top08-25-2016 09:18:34 AM

Koshernova
Touga Topper
Website

I only saw this now and wanted to say the army looks AMAZING and I chuckled at the Kozue, Kanae and Shiori tanks.

Board footer