This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-22-2016 03:37:02 AM

DragonOfThePond
Wakaba Wrangler

Names And Lillies

Hello everyone!
I wanted to discuss a thing that a lot of you might have noticed in Yuri Kuma Arashi:Similarity between names of the bear girls.

-Yurishiro Ginko (百合城 銀子)
-Yurigasaki Lulu (百合ヶ咲 るる)
-Yurizono Mitsuko (百合園 蜜子)
-Yurikawa Konomi (百合川 このみ)

Their last names all start with 'Yuri' (百合) which means lily (and we know that the lilies are really important in Yuri Kuma Arashi).The other parts of their last names could be translated as: caslte,bloom,garden,river (shiro(城),saki(咲),zono(園),kawa(川)).Also,'Mitsu' (蜜) means honey,nectar.

So I was wondering,do any of these names actually have another meaning (Since nothing is as deep as Ikuhara's anime emot-tongue),or are they just chosen randomly?I hope I can hear some of your opinions!

(This is my first topic post ever,I hope I am not doing anything wrongly,please don't kill me school-devil)

~The real is but a dream...

#2 | Back to Top02-22-2016 10:15:37 AM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Re: Names And Lillies

I haven't seen the show, but it is a well known symbol for Lesbians in Japanese culture. You can see some about the genre on wikipedia [url]here[/url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_(genre)]

As an example, if you watch Monogatari, you will notice the lesbian character is often associated with lilies. It has strictly become the symbol for that.

#3 | Back to Top02-22-2016 01:29:08 PM

DragonOfThePond
Wakaba Wrangler

Re: Names And Lillies

Exactly.Although, the interesting thing about it is that,in contrast with almost sexual feelings between the characters,lilies in Christianity are symbols of purity and virginity (Probably symbolizing the purity of the main characters' love)

~The real is but a dream...

Board footer