This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-07-2013 01:49:10 AM

AdamDobay
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Possible Utena shoutout in My Little Pony: FiM

One of my students brought my attention to this today:

Of course, spiral staircases leading up to high towers are nothing new in animation (basically, they look good visually), but the way the protagonist magically interacts with the environment is very reminiscent of how SKU handles this trope. I'm not sure about the story of this episode as I'm only familiar with the first few episodes of the show, but from those, especially the two pilot episodes, it's clear that that MLP team and especially Lauren Faust really looked to import what works in mahoshoujo (especially the tokusatsu strain of Sailor Moon) to rejuvenate the US girl team genre. I know Lauren Faust no longer is on the team but it's fairly probable that someone or everyone on the current team is familiar with SKU.

#2 | Back to Top11-07-2013 02:09:04 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Re: Possible Utena shoutout in My Little Pony: FiM

Truthfully, I'd always thought that this part had more to do with Labyrinth than anything else. but ymv

#3 | Back to Top11-08-2013 09:31:52 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

I don't watch the show but that tower at the top means it could possibly be a reference. emot-smile

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#4 | Back to Top11-29-2013 02:36:58 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

.....yeah, I'd say that's a reference all right. It's kinda cool to know that SKU still has echoes like fifteenish years after it came out. emot-keke

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top12-02-2013 10:14:00 AM

yuzukelly
Rose Smilee

I totally agree! In fact, I posted the same thing in the "Little things that make you think SKU" (It's been a while, though) emot-smile As soon as I saw that, I told one of my good friends (who also likes both FiM and SKU) and she agreed!

#6 | Back to Top12-02-2013 03:03:57 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

Holy shit when I first saw this it didn't smack of ANYTHING like Utena, but now that you have brought it up, they do seem very similar. That being said, I haven't found anything from any of the producers/writers that even hinted they took any inspiration from anime, so it could be just a coincidence.

#7 | Back to Top12-22-2013 12:00:28 PM

Cheerie132
Wakaba Wrangler

emot-rofl I think it's totally a reference. I don't watch the show, but now with the music and everything... yep, it's there.

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
- Marcel Proust -

Board footer