This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-09-2012 03:36:31 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Survival and Emergency equipment/gear

So, I have an interest in survival and emergency kits.  For homes, for travel, for cars, for disaster preparedness, for the zombie apocalypse.  I've been working on putting together my own Emergency "Bug Out" backpack for my apartment, and was just interested in seeing if any of ya'll share my love for survival/camping/emergency stuff.

I currently own an emergency roadside repair kit and am also interested in making a matching bug-out bag or supplemental kit to go with it -stuff to have if it turns out your car cannot be fixed and you'll be stranded for an unforeseen or inconvenient amount of time.  My main interest in putting these together is because of near annual ice-storms here in Springfield that cut power and are high tornado and severe storm risk (we are close to Joplin, MO).

So far, my main list of needed items for my emergency backpack(s) include:

First Aid Kit                         :  I have many first aid kits, I kinda collect them, but none seem satisfactory.  Most of what's included is band-aids. 
Blood staunching sponges:   :  These are expensive, but make a lot of sense.  The kinda injuries you would really worry about while lost would be blood loss or infection of an open wound,
                                             and a tourniquet  should really only ever be a last resort.
Strike anywhere matches     :  I already bought a couple boxes if these.  Pretty cheap and they will burn underwater, in high wind, and for a guaranteed 15 seconds before hitting the wood.
Wet fire tinder                     :  Also purchased.  A bit more pricey than normal tinder, but they work better for damp conditions. 
Folding Stove                      :  You can get these also very cheap, and are necessary for generating heat sufficient to boil water.  They take up little space, just make sure they are not 
                                            painted and can be folded and unfolded multiple times.  Ones that take solid fuel are the most efficient as far as weight.

Flashlight/radio                    :  One that is sturdy, waterproof, hand-crank powered is ideal.  Most nowadays come with flashlight, radio and cell phone charger.
Compass                            :  A cheap compass will come with any survival kit, but a good quality one is the only kind you could reliably use to help navigate unknown territory.
Whistle                               :  For calling for help.
Mirror                                 :  Or any reflective surface for signaling for help.  If you keep your supplies in a tin or canister, the metal case can be used to signal and to hold and boil water.
Blankets                             :  Emergency reflective blankets are one of the most useful survival tools you can buy for their money and weight.  They keep in body heat, can be used to
                                             make shelter and to signal.  They are, however, not sufficient for colder climates.
Tube tent                            :  Cheap, often colored orange for easy spotting, they are effortless shelter when you may be low on energy.  Energy conservation is important!
Food:                                 :  MRE's with included non-flame heaters taste like butt and are pricey, but are best for emergency or bug-out bags.  Survival kits would be better off with   
                                            high-calorie food bars or dehydrated meals, provided you also have the means to re-hydrate the meals.  Know that an emergency food bar gives you
                                            calories, but little true nutrients or energy.  If you are lost longer than 3-4 days, then even eating them once a day, no-matter the caloric intake, will not
                                            suffice.  Also be aware, many come in packs of 10-20, but the bars are not individually wrapped.  Opening one means opening them all, and some bands do
                                            not make their ingredients easy to locate. 
Water:                                : Some water for survival and emergency kits come in boxes like fruit juice, or in pouches.  I might just rather have a plastic bottle.  Sturdier, reusable and
                                            clear.
Canteen                              : Or bottle.  Something sturdy and big enough to not only hold water, but tools and food if needed. Meaurements on the side are good if you plan on using
                                            water purification tablets.
Water purification tablets      : For long-term survival.  Boiling is a start, but not perfect.
Hunting Knife                       : Find a knife that is not too big for you to handle, is sharp, long lasting and resistant to rust.  Full tang if you can get it, with a pommel that can be used to
                                            hammer. Look into a whetstone and quality sheath and leg/belt strap.
Small fishing kit                   : Probably the least necessary considering how you may not have access to fishing waters, it would only be needed for long term survival and fishing is a bit 
                                            iffy in yield anyhow.
Pocket saw                          : For cutting wood for fire, shelter and weapons.
Snare kit :                           : A bit like the fishing kit, you would need a ton of well placed and quality snares to get any get of worthwhile yield, but also like the fishing kit they take up
                                            little room and the components (wire, para cord) have mulitple uses.
Survival Book(s)                  : Everything just mentioned is useless if you don't know how to use it, what kind of terrain you are in, and how to keep your cool.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-30-2012 08:54:33 PM)

#2 | Back to Top09-09-2012 04:01:21 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: Survival and Emergency equipment/gear

Woowheee! That's a good set up.

You might want to invest in a decent multitool/swiss army knife as well. It's easy to laugh off having a can opener or pliers until your in need and trying to make do with a hunting knife or your car-escape hammer.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#3 | Back to Top09-09-2012 04:33:51 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Heehee, I have two different multi-tools with can-openers on them and another one on the way.  It is of of utmost importance that I have a can and bottle opener on me at ALL times.  The only thing about multi-tool is that, since they pretty much always have blades on them, I can't take them into the courthouse.  :p

Constant vigilance. 

My biggest hurdle is figuring out the food and water supply and picking out a quality, but affordable, compass and hunting knife.  I have a many friends in the military whom I'm considering asking advice.

#4 | Back to Top09-09-2012 06:05:36 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

If you think the compass would be any good on one like it, my mother has a survival knife with a round ball compass built into the hilt. I can't vouch as to the quality, but it is one of few things of hers I want to own one like.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#5 | Back to Top09-16-2012 07:46:15 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Compasses seem to be a bit tricky, and it depends on what you want one for.  If you just need to know a general direction, then most cheaper compasses will point north, and you can easily check them to make sure they do so, but you cannot use them to say, keep yourself walking in a straight line.  As in, you have strayed off a path and find yourself lost.  You know there is a town nearby according to a map you have, but with out a good, accurate compass, given you are enough miles away from it, even heading in the general "right" direction you may still walk past it, even more so if it's not a town you are aiming for, but a smaller landmark.   This is because we tend to walk in diagonal lines, with each step straying us a little bit in whichever direction you lead in (say, left or right).  You can also counter this by picking small landmarks directly in front of you and walking to them, or, say you were in a desert, taking a step to the left/right every 15-20 steps to counter. 

Being off by a few degrees on a compass can equate to missing a mark by hundreds of feet or even miles depending on the distance you have to travel. 
Also have a folding knife with seat belt cutter and window breaker, stainless steep 16 0z cup/stove with folding handle and one emergency 2012 calorie 5-year shelf life bar on the way to my Bug-Out Bag.  Now to just save up for a blood clotting sponge or two, extra emergency blankets and glow sticks, a hand-powered radio/flashlight/cellphone charger and a bit more of whichever emergency ration I like the most and I am set.  Which is a lie, I am a nut-ball and will never be satisfied. 

I am also thinking of taking the emergency preparedness 2-day class MSU is offering, as it is specifically for the kinds of disasters my area is likely to face, such as ice storms, floods and tornadoes. 

ALSO MY EMERGENCY CAR KIT IS MISSING MY WORK GLOVES, THE BLANKET AND FLASHLIGHT.  FFFFFFFFF.  Brady found the tool kit in his shed but it is missing stuff, and I had to buy a new tire gauge and the flashlight I have found for it (because I am pretty sure it was the one it came with) is missing the batteries.

Family makes fun of my obsession with emergency supplies and then takes all my loot.

#6 | Back to Top09-30-2012 04:22:45 PM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Have you considered any means of protection? Being out in the wilderness (no matter what started it) can be extremely terrifying to go out in without means of securing safety. A hunting knife can be useful for small game, but the larger animals will more than likely destroy your face before you manage land a cut.

I, myself, keep a blunt, metal pole in my car should I ever be stranded, alone some night for some odd reason. I have always believed that having reach gives advantage more often than small cuts/stabbing.

#7 | Back to Top09-30-2012 04:56:15 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I have a many friends in the military whom I'm considering asking advice.

Do this. But they'll probably tell you something study, cheap, and not electronic.

A good thing to have for emergencies is super glue. It can actually be used to seal off/cover cuts. It'll burn like a mother, and it's not exactly the best way to go about things, but it's compact, does the job, and gets you going again.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#8 | Back to Top09-30-2012 05:02:28 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

A knife may not do so much about a threatening animal, but I know a small amount about keeping them away.  A knife can be tied to the end of a stick to make a spear with some snare wire or paracord, or sharpen the end of one.  Most animals will also try to avoid fire and the smell of smoke and loud noises, so adding some younger, greener wood to your fire can help (and it works better as a signal).  Mountain lions have been known to be intimidated by displays of size, noise and aggression.  Energy conservation is just as important for predators as it is for us, and they make judgements about what makes for suitable prey or fight.  The best thing you can do is be alert, since many predators WILL STALK YOU.

(Such as what kinda happened to my nephew last year while he was hunting.  Turns out the deer he was tracking was also being stalked by a large black mountain lion, and he never even realized it until it jumped out and pounced on the deer, barely 20 feet away from his spot by a tree.  If the cat had wanted to eat him his gun would have made little difference, because it had the element of surprise.)

My big fear is thus that even with an awesome weapon, your only real protection from wildlife is to not be near wildlife.  Good, high shelter, being alert and making sure you aren't setting up camp near any animal trails or a watering hole (where there is prey there is predators) and walking with a stick to check for snakes is the best you can do.  Cause if it comes to it, there ain't shit you can do about a bear.  Speaking of 'where there is prey are predators' this applies to other levels of the food chain.  A blackberry bush is a blessing in a survival situation, since they are usually very big and and easy to spot/recognize, but they attract birds and thus tend to harbor snakes who hide beneath the thorns to catch the birds.

I've also wondered about the bigger danger of humans in a disaster setting, specially since I am currently urban located.  Most reports of rape/violence/looting in disasters is grossly over-exaggerated by the media, especially in areas with lots of minorities (koff koff Katrina), and I'm not saying that as a skeptic, I'm saying it as a criminologist.  Still, humans are far more likely to be packing heat and to be moving in packs, and you are more valuable target to a fellow desperate human than you are to wildlife.

As far as hunting for food goes, that is typically reserved for long term survival, and most people lost are found within 3 days.  Snare traps and fishing are 'safer' ways of obtaining meat, but you may not have the luxury of being near a water source with fish, and snares must be set up well, and there must be a lot of them set up, to get any kind of yield.  Furthermore, hunting requires leaving your shelter and increasing your risk of getting more lost or encountering danger, and uses up energy.  My answer in this case would be to carry weapons with the intention to building shelter and protecting yourself, but don't rely on hunting for meat.  You are better off learning about vegetation that is safe to eat, and packing light weight, high calorie and nonspoiling food.  You can go 3 hours without shelter in harsh conditions, three days without water... and up to 3 weeks without food.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-30-2012 05:11:42 PM)

#9 | Back to Top09-30-2012 05:14:24 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Actually, wait, I forgot.  PEPPER SPRAY is a great long-range and low weight option for defending against wild animals.  It won't kill them, but it can help save your life and animals are less likely to be conditioned to it or to steal it from you.  Just make sure you know how and when to use it and just like any weapon, actually practice using it.

#10 | Back to Top09-30-2012 08:31:52 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

I'd strongly recommend that you swap the blankets for tarps. They're extremely warm and make excellent blankets, can be used for shelter and also for gathering water. Stake on on the ground with a little depression dug out in the centre. Leave it out other night and you'll get condensation. Likewise a very heavy duty plastic bag, of the type that's used to  transport goods in bulk. This can be tied over a tree branch over night and respiration will give you water also. Always think about water. Having a canteen is very nice but if you can't fill it up it's useless. Both the dew and the leaf trick will only net you a few mouthfuls of water but a few mouthfuls of water is the difference between alive or dead. Also, you need rope.

#11 | Back to Top09-30-2012 08:50:59 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Hrm?  I have paracord. Three bracelets that unwrap to 7 feet each of 550lb paracord.  Did I forget to mention that on my list?  I probably should update it.  XD I also have survival blankets... two made of thin mylar reflective material, and one large sturdier one with a reflective inside, colored outside and grommets so it can be used as heat reflecting blanket, signal device, water collection system and shelter.

You can also make a still using plastic or mylar by digging a hole, putting a collection cup in the bottom and laying the material over the hole, placing a weight in the center to indent it and anchoring it on the edges of the hole.  Moisture from the earth collects in the cup as it evaporates during the day and hits the blanket, running down into the cup. Also a true blue tarp like the kind found on farms is a bad choice for survival, as it does not compact/fold well, tears easily, retains little body heat and is uncomfortable.  Sturdy, black trash bags are surprisingly an amazing survival tool. And they are so crazy cheap compared to the majority of "survival" tools They can be made to keep important items waterproof, be torn and worn as ponchos, used, of course, as bags, and even inflated and used as a make-shift floatation devices or balled up for some semblance of a pillow or laid flat as a barrier between your body and the earth.   .  A lot of heat is lost from the ground sucking it up, so the more layers between you and it, the better.  A number of thinner layers is warmer than one or two big layers, as air trapped between the layers cushions you and holds heat.

EDIT:  Oh, I see.  I listed the paracord under Snare Kit supplies, and I ended up buying the extra blanket instead of a tube tent, since it satisfied both requirements.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-30-2012 08:52:21 PM)

#12 | Back to Top10-18-2012 05:20:56 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I saw something on Pinterest the other day that made me think of this thread. Someone had pinned a eReader to a board that compiled survival kit information, with the following tag:

"Survival kit: Consider a Kindle in your preps... Why? Simply, the ability to carry hundreds of reference books in a very lightweight package which takes up almost no room, it has extraordinary battery life, can be charged with a solar USB charger, it is too good to pass up. From a tactical perspective, it’s nice to have a flashlight-readable screen which doesn't emit any light to give away location. Read article at: thesurvivalistblog.net/using-a-kindle-to-light-a-fire"

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

Board footer