This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top11-13-2008 10:49:32 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Re: Sasuke no Kettousha -- Duellists of Ninja Warrior

Oh yeah, it's still on G4. Weekdays at 7:00 pm, if memory serves me right. Occasionally they'll show Kunoichi tournaments, but that's only if they've run through all the Sasuke tourneys.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#27 | Back to Top11-13-2008 12:42:18 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

They no longer show it when they used to though.  Now Lost and Heroes are playing where Ninja Warrior and Unbeatable Banzuke used to play. emot-frown  Now granted, they'd shown all of the episodes a million times, but I still watched most nights anyway. ^.^;

#28 | Back to Top11-13-2008 03:01:13 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Really? They don't?

That sucks. emot-frown

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#29 | Back to Top06-21-2009 07:17:02 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Ah, today was a strange day on Mount Midoriyama. Sasuke 22 debuted today on G4, with very surprising results...

A new American Ninja Warrior was selected by G4 to tackle the obstacles of Midoriyama, Dave Campbell. Fellow competitors Levi Meeuwenberg and Luci Romberg returned as well to exact vengeance upon the demons who dwell upon the mountain. None made it past the First Stage, though Campbell made it farther than his American fellows. True to her word, Attack of the Show! co-host Olivia Munn returned as well with the intention of besting the obstacle that defeated her last time, the Sextuple Steps. Though she completed it, she almost instantly went down on the next obstacle, a new addition...

The First Stage was modified with two new obstacles: the Circle Hammer and the Slider Jump --the former a modification of the Second Stage's Metal Spin; the latter an insidious mix of Third Stage's Pipe Slider and First Stage's Jump Hang. It was to this obstacle that Meeuwenberg, Toshihiro Takeda and even Makoto Nagano himself fell. For the second time in a row, Shingo Yamamoto fell after completing the Halfpipe Attack, but before reaching the Warped Wall. Romberg herself failed at the obstacle she so easily cleared in the last tournament -- the Jumping Spider.

Taking the demons of Midoriyama by surprise, Yuji Urushihara, a newcomer, managed to achieve what even Nagano could not in the 21st Tournament -- clear the Gliding Ring and reach the Final Stage. Sadly, his efforts were cut short by mere seconds -- had he been slightly faster on the second half of the tower climb, he would have been the third Ninja Warrior in history.

A good run for all involved, and a surprising near-victory for someone on their first dry run. We shall see who will be victorious next time...

#30 | Back to Top12-15-2009 07:44:01 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I can't believe I missed Sasuke 23. I am so livid about it it's not funny.

But at least I'll get to see 24 -- I read up and according to Wikipedia, it's airing on New Year (1 Jan 2010).

I'd love to see Nagano succeed a second time. But then, I'd like to see Shingo Yamamoto and Toshihiro Takeda succeed too. WHY MUST YOU TORTURE ME SO, MIDORIYAMA?!

Just not Katsumi Yamada. That guy needs to retire. His Sasuke career has been over for some time now. emot-rolleyes

#31 | Back to Top12-17-2009 12:50:08 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Hadn't seen Ninja Warrior when this thread was first made, but I have now.

Based on how Juri's duels always seem to end, I bet she would be on the last domino, and then sudden fall backwards.

#32 | Back to Top12-17-2009 09:43:58 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

*imitating a stereotypical psychoanalyst*

Mmmm-HMMMMM. Und vat iz zour take on zee ozher duellists?

#33 | Back to Top01-09-2010 06:21:03 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Well. Kunoichi 8 premiered today. Anybody besides me and Mylene watch it?

Surprisingly, Ayako Miyake was nowhere to be seen in this tourney. Rie Komiya, however, perservered and became the second woman to achieve Total Victory -- a goal she's been shooting for since a while now. Meanwhile, newcomer Satomi Kadoi not only became the third woman to achieve Total Victory...she was also the fastest to do so, with 21.4 seconds to spare! Talk about breaking a record!

Discuss the newest trend of side-by-side competition and the SKU cast! How do you think the girls of Ohtori would do on the 8th course?

#34 | Back to Top01-09-2010 07:25:41 PM

Mylene

Miyake's no-show status isn't actually surprising.  She and Sayaka Asami (as well as several others) split from the Muscle Musical to start their own thing, and it seems likely that none of them will be competing in Kunoichi anymore.

On the other hand, where were Rena and Yuko Higashi?  They're the ones I really missed.

The side-by-side competition was weird, and it seems like the final stage was perhaps a wee bit too easy.  I couldn't get quite as into this one given the lack of so many familiar faces, but I'm overjoyed that Rie finally got her victory.  She's always done such a great job.  She makes me think of a female version of Takeda--always there, always doing their best, and always the person you hope someday finally makes it to the top of Mount Midoriyama.

Utena and Juri would make pretty short work of the 8th course, but I feel they would do well on any Kunoichi course (it's just Sasuke that I don't believe any of the characters, male or female, could complete.)  I could see Wakaba being in a heat that didn't have a victor and winning the second chance opportunity.  I doubt being spun around would affect her very much.  For some reason I find myself thinking Kozue might sneak through that first round.  No idea why.

Also, the jiggle fest pre-tournament show was idiotic (or at least the last 10 minutes that I saw), but I was happy to see that Miss Playmate actually put up a strong showing when she competed.  At least we didn't have to suffer through Olivia Munn's idiocy for yet another year. 

Sasuke 24 aired in Japan on January 1st, so here's hoping it'll be making its way to G4 in the next few months.  I managed to avoid seeing who won it when I sought out the dates, so please, no spoilers before it airs in the U.S.

#35 | Back to Top01-09-2010 07:29:17 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Thanks for the heads-up, Mylene.

Also, and I can't help but wonder this...when the hell did Nagano get married? emot-confused His wife was in the 8th tournament, but she didn't make it past the Barrel Roll.

#36 | Back to Top01-09-2010 07:54:42 PM

Mylene

I'm guessing he's been married for awhile.  Looks like they have a kid together too, given how often he was seen cradling one that looked around a year or so old. 

At least she made it past Makoto's old nemesis the Super Jump. emot-biggrin I still crack up remembering him going sailing right of the Sasuke version of that.  And as always, he came right up smiling.

Edit: Found a site with some info: http://www.webjam.com/sasukefans  looks like Nagano got married last January, with his son being born in June.

#37 | Back to Top04-11-2010 07:29:23 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Sasuke 23 aired yesterday, but so goddamn late that I just threw the whole thing on the satellite box's DVR recorder and watched it today. Interesting developments took place, with the ever-present demons holding court...

The All-Stars now face against the New Generation, and of both camps only two survived to attempt the Final Stage: Hitoshi Kanno and ever-present Makoto Nagano. What is most surprising than anything is that Nagano set two new records this tournament.

The first is a complete shocker from deep, deep left field. When he failed on the Slider Jump last time, he practiced to conquer it during this tournament. He failed again...but it was ruled that it was a technical error on the part of the course that caused his failure. In an unprecedented first for the history of Sasuke and Kunoichi, Nagano was allowed to attempt the First Stage a second time. He completed with flying colours. I daresay such an event will not happen again soon.

The second is the passing of a torch from one man to another. Katsumi Yamada, known as "Mr. Ninja Warrior," no longer holds the title. Nagano has inherited it. But even with these amazing chances, he was unable to achieve total victory a second time. The demons growl in pleasure as the warriors have failed to conquer them...

It was a surprising comeback for the All-Stars, though, with Shingo Yamamoto, Toshihiro Takeda and Makoto Nagano all reaching the Third Stage once more. And again, Yamamoto fell prey to an injury -- this time, a dislocated shoulder. Only halfway through the Arm Rings, he had to drop or suffer even worse pain. Takeda managed to reach the Spider Flip before he lost the last of his strength and fell to the water below.

Nevertheless, today (or should I say yesterday?) was a stunning example of what a Sasuke tournament should be about. With the renewed vigour of the All-Stars and the birth of the New Generation, we shall see this Saturday what Sasuke holds for all involved during the 24th Tournament...

#38 | Back to Top04-17-2010 07:11:22 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

The 24th Sasuke tournament set another pair of unprecedented records, and marks the dawn of a new era. As the All-Stars begin to fade into the pages of history, the New Generation takes up the mantle...

Of the All-Stars who challenged the demons of Midoriyama this time, only Toshihiro Takeda managed to survive the first stage. Even Makoto Nagano failed, and his failure on the end stretch of the Jumping Spider was truly heartbreaking. Perhaps carrying the hopes and dreams of his friends proved to be too much a burden for Takeda; he fell in the third stage before he could even make the leap that is the hallmark of the Spider Flip, an obstacle Nagano himself is very familiar with.

However, five of the New Generation -- an unprecedented new record for Ninja Warrior -- made it to the Final Stage. Of those five, only one man -- their new leader, Yuji Urushihara -- achieved Total Victory and became the world's third Ninja Warrior.

And after seeing two of those young newcomers simply REACH across the Cliff Hanger's infamous leap, I'm fairly certain that the course designers will correct that oversight before the 25th Tournament takes place.

Discuss!

#39 | Back to Top04-17-2010 08:18:27 PM

Paradox
Winning Love By Daylight

The new tactic for dealing with the Cliffhanger was a stroke of genius.  I get the feeling the All-Stars were all going, "Now why didn't *I* think of that?" while the course developers were thinking "About damn time someone figured that one out."

The torch is definitely being passed at least somewhat, and it's probably overdue.  Of the All-Stars, Yamada and Akiyama haven't been relevant in years, Akiyama due to eye problems and Yamada due to, well... underperformance.  Yamamoto seems like he'll never make it with that nagging shoulder injury, though being the one guy at every event, I doubt he's going anywhere.  Shiratori is also weighed down by injury, it's been a while since he's participated and I'm not sure if we'll ever see him again.  Only Takeda and Nagano have any realistic chance of finishing the course anymore.  I think Nagano may have one more left in him, but he's running out of years in a hurry.  Sooner or later, he's just not going to be able to muster the speed to clear that last stage.

Five guys going through to the last stage, though, that's just nuts.  Yeah, a redesign is coming and it's going to hurt.  The first stage isn't going to get too much worse, I wouldn't think, they're passing about the numbers they want to be getting through, but they'll change it up for show.  The second and third stages though, they are going to get nasty.  I wouldn't be too surprised to see another tournament where no one reaches stage three in the near future.

#40 | Back to Top04-17-2010 08:25:58 PM

Mylene

I didn't like that G4 translated Urushihara's cries of "Thank you everyone! Thank you everyone!" as "I'm up here! I'm up here!" That was just strange.

Great tournament though, lots of excitement.  I wish Nagano hadn't gotten sloppy, but I still love him anyway. I also find Urushihara completely endearing.

Meanwhile, I didn't realize Kongu was the goofy delivery kid from years past!  When the shaved head, he looks like a completely different person.

Last edited by Mylene (04-17-2010 08:30:57 PM)

#41 | Back to Top03-11-2012 08:45:17 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I'm two years late and I missed like three tournaments. That's neither here nor there, while Sasuke 27 -- what I came to report on -- is.

A blindingly staggering eighteen competitors managed to blast through the First Stage, which included two (to me) new obstacles. The Rolling Escargot is an unholy upgrade to the Barrel Roll, while the Spinning Bridge looks more like those executive toys that clink together than any serious obstacle. Between the two of them, though, most of the competitors were wiped out. The demons of Midoriyama growl their warning.

In Second Stage, five people managed to conquer the obstacles, at this point having become rote. Yes, even the Double Salmon Ladder has become a typical sight, and among the people who cleared them were fan-favorite All Star, Nagano Makoto and the third Grand Champion, Urushihara Yuji. As the demons begin to flex their muscle, the brave warriors advance steadily.

In Third Stage, some bright relative newcomer made his way to the newest, most hellish incarnation yet of the Cliff Hanger...and blew past it, to everybody's surprise. Another two challengers followed suit, including Urushihara but not Nagano, who failed to catch the smallest hang and plunged into the waters of defeat. As always, his cheerful grin was there to soothe the anguish of the remaining competitors. But I've saved the best for last.

In twenty-seven tournaments and 2,700 challengers, only three have managed to secure Total Victory, crowned Grand Champions for their exhaustive and impressive feats of body and determination. On this day, in Sasuke 27, it was humble shoe salesman Urushihara Yuji who claimed the title even Nagano Makoto couldn't: Double Grand Champion. He dealt a brutal blow to the demons of Midoriyama, sending them staggering in shock and disbelief.

As always, feel free to discuss the newest information and how you think the duelists could stand up to the most difficult obstacle course in the world!

#42 | Back to Top03-14-2012 03:36:51 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

My god, do I miss this show. It was so fun to listen to and I loved it to pieces. etc-love etc-love etc-love

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

Board footer