This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-25-2007 05:59:32 PM

Recompense
Wakaba Wrangler

I need help making a costume

I don't know if this the right category for this question, but here goes. So, for AnimeBoston, I am going as Miki. I cannot, however find a pattern for the student council uniform. Does anyone know of a pattern I could use? Any help would be much appreciated.

I, Garland, will knock you all down!

#2 | Back to Top07-25-2007 06:18:55 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

Re: I need help making a costume

i have a friend going to AB as Miki also. let me tell you. buy straight legged scrub uniform pants. (hospital workers and nursing home workers, vets you know scrubs!)

i have no advice for the jacket though.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#3 | Back to Top07-25-2007 06:49:17 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

If you sew, find a pattern for either a mandarin collar shirt/jacket, or find a historical pattern for (I think) early 1800's/Empire period menswear. For the pants, either find scrubs or find a pair of white pants and dye them blue. OR... make the pants yourself. Pants are exponentially easy if you make the pattern from a pair you already own. Make a front, make a back, sew them together and hem as needed.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#4 | Back to Top07-25-2007 07:40:07 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Moving to SKU forum.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top07-26-2007 02:33:45 PM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

Do not get scrub pants unless you want to look like you're wearing a tarp.  Utena costumes are very, very tailored; you want the fit to be as flattering as it can be.

Considering you're cosplaying as a male, I would advise against the mandarin collar patterns, as most of those have princess seams.  A men's Civil War era jacket works quite nicely: here (you'll of course want the single-breasted variant).  You'll have to modify it a bit on your own to allow for the dovetailing.

#6 | Back to Top07-26-2007 07:37:30 PM

Wolfio
Miki Molester

Would mandarin collar patterns be more appropriate as if one was to cosplay as a female? What if you took apart the scrubs and slimmed them down? Is there anything you'd suggest instead?

#7 | Back to Top07-26-2007 09:00:59 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

Archambeau wrote:

Do not get scrub pants unless you want to look like you're wearing a tarp.  Utena costumes are very, very tailored; you want the fit to be as flattering as it can be.

Considering you're cosplaying as a male, I would advise against the mandarin collar patterns, as most of those have princess seams.  A men's Civil War era jacket works quite nicely: here (you'll of course want the single-breasted variant).  You'll have to modify it a bit on your own to allow for the dovetailing.

Whats wrong with scrubs? my mother has a pair and they are very nice and look just like the student councel pants. fitted and have that funny crease down the front of the legs.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#8 | Back to Top07-26-2007 09:06:46 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Well, most of it is that all scrubs are not created equal.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#9 | Back to Top07-27-2007 09:26:41 AM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

KissingT.Kiryuu wrote:

Archambeau wrote:

Whats wrong with scrubs? my mother has a pair and they are very nice and look just like the student councel pants. fitted and have that funny crease down the front of the legs.

While scrubs may have the ironing/pleat in the front, they also are generally elastic-waisted, which caused bunching and an overall frumpy look.  You're really better off with slacks, as they're generally tailored to fit whereas scrubs seem to run the gamut of "small-medium-large."

In regards to the mandarin collar patterns, yes, they'll generally work perfectly for female Utena costumes, provided you tailor them to fit you.  Given that they usually have princess seams instead of darts, that gives even more options for seams to take in/let out as necessary, so I'd put my faith in them.

Board footer