This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-02-2014 10:01:14 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

So I showed my middle-aged mother the movie tonight....raw.

I know there's a recently necroed thread about showing Utena to young people, but how about stories of trying to show it to your parent(s)?

Tonight, a long goal of mine has begun to come to fruition. I've been trying convert my mom into an anime watcher for years with no success. She is a cerebral and progressive woman, interested in many forms of art and media, but is extremely difficult to coax into trying something not born of her own impulses. However, recently she had hand surgery and has been on extended leave from work - and been very bored by it. I knew that this was my chance. I cracked her open with - of all things - Attack on Titan, by playing up the similarities between it and her current favorite show, Walking Dead. That went over extremely well. Then I tried her out with Kids on the Slope, which was actually a far greater success than I'd anticipated. She really, really liked that one.

However, getting her to watch Utena, or "The Rose Petal Anime" as she knows it due to my Utena altar, was of course the real plan all along. After watching those first two, she's now agreed to try the series, but seemed dubious from my description of it - not surprising, since really, how does one describe Utena effectively - so I conceived of a radical plan: show her the movie first. There were several good reasons to proceed this way. For one thing, it's a much lower barrier to entry. My mom was naturally intimidated by a 39-episode series, which is much longer than anything else she's watched thus far. Having her watch the movie would, hopefully, allow me to "set the hook" of her interest in Utena the series. There's also the attractive feature that, even if she doesn't end up sticking with the series and flakes out, she'll have already seen the movie, so it wouldn't be a total loss.

Well, I can tentatively report that it was a decent success. Of course, she understood very little of what was going on, but I stressed that that was natural and answered what questions she had. (As anyone who's read my movie character analyses knows, I don't lack for things to say on the subject!) I also said that she would certainly understand more of the movie after watching the series, although I was very careful to point out over and over that they are very different from each other and that watching the movie in no way "spoils" the series. She did think it was an amazing and beautiful piece of art, and I do think that the goal of heightening her interest in the series was achieved. (She has long known about my LGBT status, so she knew what to expect as far as Utena/Anthy went. Probably the least confusing part of it to her. emot-tongue)

So yeah. I just wanted to announce this initial success to the forum. Hopefully I'll be able to report on her reactions to the series before long. Thanks for taking the time to read this not-very-discussion-worthy monologue. emot-redface

Last edited by Aelanie (04-02-2014 10:16:37 PM)

#2 | Back to Top04-03-2014 08:56:22 AM

McGreddy
Saionji Slapper

Re: So I showed my middle-aged mother the movie tonight....raw.

My mom got into anime before I did. She got into it via Toonami showing Bebop, and then watching NGE on DVDs. She got me into anime by bringing me to Anime Boston '03 and us sitting in the screening rooms there for 12 hours a day -- which was a big deal for me, because I didn't get to watch commercial television, so 12 hours of cartoons at all is pretty awesome, added awesomeness for the weirdness and rarities they'd show back then. She watched the Utena movie sometime around then on her own, and swore of Utena for the better part of a decade because of it ("it's too girly" was what she said when I asked her why when I got into it in 2012). She gave the TV series a shot once she saw how much I liked it, and now it's one of her top 10 anime. She still doesn't like the movie, but we're going to give it a second (for her, third) chance with the Ikuhara commentary sometime soon in preparation for the Ikuhara panel we want to do together.

#3 | Back to Top04-03-2014 09:08:01 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

My mom prefers the movie and actually has my original copy of the DVD, still. The TV series didn't keep her attention, but she's seen at least most of it.

It was her idea to screen it huge, via projector, the first time I saw it that way, and I have to say, it's a lot easier to focus on when big. It plays better large, and I don't often have the motivation to commit to things like that, so I'm glad she does.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#4 | Back to Top04-04-2014 09:25:11 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Wow, you two are lucky. emot-tongue

Well we're supposed to start the series on Tuesday, but she's already begun making waffling noises about it...she's committed to trying it at least, but who knows how long it'll hold up. She dislikes the repetitive nature of stock footage, and as we all know, Utena the series has huge amounts of it. That's another reason I thought showing her the movie first would be helpful.

#5 | Back to Top04-16-2014 09:25:43 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

To be fair, I don't blame her. SKU is one of the worst offenders for abuse of stock footage I've ever sat through, though admittedly I haven't plowing through as much anime as I think most anime fans from that era did.

At this point, I do just skip the arena ascension and such. I mean, no one's pretending the repeat sequences were the animators being super complicated and deep. SKU was a major victim of its time, and its budget. Hopefully your mom forgives these flaws! If not, well, they're good pee breaks. emot-biggrin

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top04-17-2014 02:38:15 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Giovanna wrote:

I mean, no one's pretending the repeat sequences were the animators being super complicated and deep. SKU was a major victim of its time, and its budget.

Hideaki Anno listed reusing footage as one of the thing that bugged him the most about animation, the sequences designed for recycling or having to repurpose cels. It's easy to see why, but I really like it when it's done in a way that heightens the repetition or makes the reuse notable. SKU, Macross 7 have some pomp in the reuse.

I've really want someone in the higher ends of animation (as opposed to small budget shorts) to do something with cels the way Nicolas Roeg used to do precognitive cuts in live action, splicing in a bit of a later bit into a scene with the same character or setting so it feels perfectly normal there, but you're subconsciously primed to feel a little deja vu when the full scene it's snipped from comes later. But, no one ever does, and there seems to be less recycle in general, these days.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#7 | Back to Top04-19-2014 02:05:42 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

I really like it when it's done in a way that heightens the repetition or makes the reuse notable. SKU, Macross 7 have some pomp in the reuse.

Indeed. Without spoiling anything for her, I've tried to stress that the ritualistic nature of the goings on is thematically important.

there seems to be less recycle in general, these days.

When you think about it, Utena must've been one of the very last anime made in the old way: hand-drawn, hand-painted cells. It really was an incredibly expensive, labor-intensive way to make something.  In the late 80's, the Japanese economy was booming, and precedents were set for high production values in animation detail and quality. (The film Akira is a high-profile example of this trend.) Then came the economic "Lost Decade" of the 90's. The expectations were still there, but the money was not, and it's not surprising that anime from the 90's contain some of the most memorable examples of heavy footage re-use. (Sailor Moon, as much as I adore that show, is another offender.)

Although I do miss the aesthetics of hand-drawn animation, there's no question that modern computerized methods allow more complex and detailed animation to be done with less time, less money, less painstaking effort. That's the reason we see less footage abuse these days, although it's far from completely gone. OPs, EDs, and things like transformation or attack sequences still serve their purpose. This is our reward for having suffered through the primitive beginnings of computerized anime in the early 2000's, which I always refer to in my head as the "paint-by-numbers" era, due to how simplistic and unrefined anime from that period looked, compared to the lost beauty of the past.

Anyway, we watched the first two episodes. Her reaction was actually better than I might've expected, but now she's back to work, and between our clashing schedules (and it being a low-priority for her) it's going to be even more difficult to continue. However, she has said that she intends to because she knows it's important to me, so I'll just have to be patient.

Last edited by Aelanie (04-19-2014 10:18:52 AM)

#8 | Back to Top06-11-2014 08:00:56 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

We just watched episode 34. Oh my god, that episode is incredible. A WORK. OF. ART. I'd forgotten. I mean I thought I knew, but I was not prepared. Anew, it hit me like a rock how amazing the planning and execution of Utena is. Having to consider it from my mom's pespective, what it would reveal to her, and when, and how, let me appreciate it as never before.

Sorry, I just had to say that.  As far as her watching it, it's been a brilliant success. As I'd hoped, she was sucked into the whirlpool of drama and pageantry that is Utena. I have to explain a lot of course, but that's fine: partly in thanks to this place, my thoughts and arguments are very well-formed!

#9 | Back to Top06-12-2014 10:47:20 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

That's fantastic. Thanks for the update.

I really do look forward to new material in this thread (and these kinds of threads, in general, much more than the professional-watcher threads, no offense to those who prefer them).

#10 | Back to Top06-12-2014 12:50:58 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

One thing that she came up with that surprised me was, she really doesn't think Akio's plan was to make Utena fall seriously in love with him. I've always taken it for granted that that was what he wanted to happen, but in her view, he was just "doing his normal seduction thing". Of course, she doesn't know what I know about what's coming... She actually wasn't fazed at all by The Prince Who Runs Through the Night - in fact, she predicted it several episodes ahead, through the simple (and sound!) logic of "well he's done everyone else in the show", so she assumed Utena's turn was going to come. On a related note, she also arrived a quite intuitive understanding that conventional morality judgements are a non-starter with this show. emot-tongue

Last edited by Aelanie (06-12-2014 01:43:11 PM)

#11 | Back to Top06-19-2014 02:58:13 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

So we finished the series tonight. In the end it can only be called a total success. She loved it, and also loved the signet ring I was able to give her, having extras on hand by an incredible stroke of accidental luck. She told me a few episodes back that her vision of the ending was that "Utena and Anthy are going to drive away from the school together in the red car, aren't they?" Sadly that doesn't actually happen, although as I reminded her, it does essentially happen in the movie, which we will soon be rewatching again now that she's seen the series to make a comparison.

Last edited by Aelanie (06-19-2014 03:02:01 AM)

#12 | Back to Top06-19-2014 03:24:27 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Now, my head is spinning with the two endings, again, and what it means differently for Anthy to drive Utena out or for Utena to go and basically prove to Anthy that she can walk away whenever she decides to...

#13 | Back to Top06-19-2014 04:38:47 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Now, my head is spinning with the two endings, again, and what it means differently for Anthy to drive Utena out or for Utena to go and basically prove to Anthy that she can walk away whenever she decides to...

We discussed the difference of course, and will more fully once she rewatches the movie. Naturally I've also provided her with a bunch of my writings on the subject, including the four movie character examinations. Though executed differently, the thematic meanings are the same - but for both her and myself, there's no question that we prefer to see them leave together, as one.

In a way though, I kind of feel bad. Watching it as she did with me, she naturally was influenced by my views throughout the process, and though I was happy and pleased to help her see the show as I see it...anyone who's gone through that wonderful process of deep reflection and mental discovery, decoding and deciphering the franchise fully with only their own thoughts and feelings as the guide, can understand that I feel I denied her something there - although she probably wouldn't have been interested in devoting a huge amount of time to doing so anyway.

Last edited by Aelanie (06-19-2014 04:39:29 AM)

Board footer