This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-08-2007 04:07:28 AM

RodimusBen
Wakaba Wrangler

Writer's strike

Hey all,

I know that many of you who enjoy SKU, like me, like a good, deep show full of mystery, symbolism and complex characters. That's why I like Utena and also why I've been a fan of LOST for the last few years. If you're a fan of any shows on prime-time TV right now, be it LOST, Heroes, Gray's Anatomy, etc., you know that all of these shows will soon run out of new episodes thanks to the strike.

All the writers are asking for is to receive a share of the profits when networks offer full episodes of their shows online. Networks make millions of dollars from these online episodes from the advertising they contain, but unlike reruns on TV, writers don't see a dime from that because the networks fallaciously call the online episodes "promotional material." I'm not sure how something that contains advertising and makes money can be called advertising itself.

If you are interested in taking a small measure to help bring the studios back to the negotiating table and ending the strike as soon as possible, you can send a letter to the following network presidents:

Stephen McPherson, President
ABC Entertainment
2040 Avenue of the Stars
Century City, CA 90067

Nina Tassler, President
CBS Entertainment
7800 Beverly Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90036-2112

Gail Berman, President
FOX Entertainment
10201 W Pico Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90035

Jeff Zucker, President and CEO
NBC Universal
3000 W. Alameda Ave.
Burbank, CA. 91523

Dawn Ostroff
President of Entertainment,
The CW Television Network
4000 Warner Boulevard, Bldg #168
Burbank, CA 91522

You can say something as simple as:

I hereby pledge my support for the striking writers of the WGA in their efforts to obtain suitable compensation for programming aired via the internet and all forms of "new media", and I will express my solidarity by refusing to watch any new game shows or "reality programming" introduced during their strike.

Don't bother writing anything too long, because they won't read it. It will simply be the volume of mail they receive that will have an impact.

I hope this post doesn't sound too preachy or spammy. I know a lot of us watch a lot of shows that are in danger right now and this is just a small thing that anyone can do.

I believe God made me for a purpose. But he also made me fast. And when I run... I feel His pleasure. - Chariots of Fire

#2 | Back to Top11-08-2007 09:54:54 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Re: Writer's strike

I agree. As an aspiring screenwriter, this will affect my career of choice, and myself as well. I'm trying not to freak out too much about this, but I find it hard not to. Thanks so much for the addresses! emot-keke;

#3 | Back to Top11-08-2007 10:39:09 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: Writer's strike

A reminder/prod that this also directly affects writers who are not union affiliated, for whatever reason, because they've got to abide by the stance out of politeness and a desire not to upset the WGA.  This means people who're just starting out, people who simply cannot make payments, and various other sets.  If you haven't got the sympathy for the guild members, think of your friends, your family, if you're a writer or aspiring writer or just somebody who has a vague elevator pitch on hand at all times... show some support!  If Jay Leno can do it, surely we all can!

Besides, if this gets cleared up, the PGA doesn't have to strike, and they are basically waiting to see how this pans out, before they ask for many of the same things.  No producers and no writers means... well, among other things, it means I'm glad I don't watch a lot of TV the season it first shows.  And it means nobody shuffled over to Bionic Woman is going back to their other show, either.

*In a fantastic costume-change sequence Decrescent Daytripper takes off eir Can't Afford to Turn Down Any More Jobs for This hat, puts on some glasses, and whistles in the wind, hoping nobody noticed.*

Last edited by Decrescent Daytripper (11-08-2007 01:30:52 PM)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Board footer