This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top06-05-2007 02:37:37 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

Re: Utena movie dub....worth the watch

or perhaps its worse than that. maybe the VA for dub anthy was the BEST to apply for the part.

We all have our own little addictions.

#27 | Back to Top06-05-2007 07:47:14 PM

abraXas365
Ohtori Paramouri

I've seen Adolescence of Utena on the big screen (subbed) and the CPM dub and sub. Personally I like the dub and its my preferred option for late night viewings when I don't feel like reading. I get different things from every translation that I see, so more than anything I would say that the Dub (not in replacement but in light of subbed versions) has value because it presents the movie from a slightly different perspective, More utena is a gooD thing!

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/logophony/abraxas365.gif

#28 | Back to Top06-05-2007 08:45:59 PM

Moon Rat
New Student

on a quick side note, i plan on making a .wav of the horrible dub saionji laugh from the utena/saionji duel in ep 1 (or was it 2?).

Oh, god - I haven't actually heard the dub in years and I can still hear that laugh. emot-biggrin When you make the .wav, by all means, post it!

Last edited by Moon Rat (06-05-2007 08:46:23 PM)

#29 | Back to Top06-05-2007 09:46:22 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Moon Rat wrote:

on a quick side note, i plan on making a .wav of the horrible dub saionji laugh from the utena/saionji duel in ep 1 (or was it 2?).

Oh, god - I haven't actually heard the dub in years and I can still hear that laugh. emot-biggrin When you make the .wav, by all means, post it!

....seconded....sorta.... I dunno if I want to hear it. emot-frown

American dubber companies need to listen to the Italian dubs, because the Italian dub of SKU is good.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#30 | Back to Top06-05-2007 10:48:30 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I've only watched moments of the movie dub, but I can generally agree that the Utena dub isn't *awful*.  I dislike dubs in general, but I can think of a few I liked more (I didn't mind Hellsing's, for example.  It's one of the few I switch back and forth on my own).  But once I'm used to the subtitled voices, the dubs almost always sound wrong.

There are voice choices I don't like, but mostly what gets me is the horrible way they pronounce names.  (I mean, OOTina ??)  Since the names are used frequently, I am irked out of mind every few moments.  Which means I can't make a very accurate judgement of anything else that's going on.

And I hated the guy that voiced Shinji.  I don't follow American VA's at all, but I'm pretty sure he did the main male character in Nadesico, too.  And apparently he feels that adolescent boys can't have "intensity" in their voices.  What happens is, they get very shrill and their voices crack.  I do not feel this is an appropriate choice in all situations.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (06-05-2007 10:50:11 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#31 | Back to Top06-06-2007 12:15:24 PM

guardian_rose
Precious One

Well, none of what we hear from American VAs will EVER beat the total horror of the VAs from Voltron!
Anyone remember Pidge? or the adult males who were dupped into VAing the children voices? GAH! I still have nightmares about Pidge and the totally fake kids voices emot-gonk

We all have our own little addictions.

#32 | Back to Top06-06-2007 04:32:27 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

purplepolecat wrote:

Tamago wrote:

BEST DUBBING
+ Azumanga (I seen both dub and Japanese versions on DVD and I rate the dub higher as they matched voice and personality so well) etc-love

Nooooooooo!!!! When I hear Osaka speaking in a Texan accent, I die inside.

You don't like dub Osaka? I thought that her voice was the most spot-on myself but then again I'm not a Texan.

#33 | Back to Top06-07-2007 03:51:49 AM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

moon rat wrote:

Oh, god - I haven't actually heard the dub in years and I can still hear that laugh.  When you make the .wav, by all means, post it!

I second that!!

I don't think all dubs are bad, sometimes I find mixtures in a series where some of the VA's are good and others are not. I thought the English dub of Perfect blue was better than the Japanese overall, and some of the cast in EVA was good and some of them, *coughshinjicough* were awful. Though I also agree it that it can depend on whatever one you see first, dub or sub. Saying that, there is a history of the English dubs being worse emot-mad and thats where my fear comes in....

I don't think many people can say they've seen horrorfic dubs, until they endure the horror that is the Yami no Masteui dub *weeps* why...why...oh...why...

On the note of the movie however, I'm still holding out. If I can't take it any longer. Then perhaps I'll cave in and watch the SKU movie dub, but I might need someone to hold my hand.

#34 | Back to Top06-07-2007 05:32:54 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Tamago wrote:

You don't like dub Osaka? I thought that her voice was the most spot-on myself but then again I'm not a Texan.

I admit I'm being picky, but you have to understand that for me & Corpsegoddess, it's all about Osaka. Osaka is a deity. She is the enlightened one.

When I hear a Texan accent, I think of GWB. emot-frown

It would be like Akio sounding Austrailian.

(Apologies to Texans and Austrailians)

(school-eng101 I was suprised to find that the Osaka's Texan accent is genuine - Kira Vincent-Davis was born in Houston.)

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#35 | Back to Top06-07-2007 05:36:34 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

purplepolecat wrote:

Kira Vincent-Davis was born in Houston.)

Really? Now there's a fun fact. She actually does a lot of voice work, and she covers the accent well. Perhaps she doesn't really have a terrible one, and she just pumps it up for Osaka. I'll admit that I think Osaka had a great dub. That's the good thing about Azumanga: you can't really cast a character too badly, because they're all so wacky, you can't even decide what they should sound like.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#36 | Back to Top06-07-2007 05:49:57 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

purplepolecat wrote:

( school-eng101 I was suprised to find that the Osaka's Texan accent is genuine - Kira Vincent-Davis was born in Houston.)

Well, ADV (who did the Azumanga dub) is based in Houston, just like Funimation is based in Dallas. And according to the liner notes, the city of Osaka is allegedly the Houston to Tokyo's New York.

But maybe whenever CPM's license runs out on Utena, ADV or Funimation will pick it up. I wouldn't mind Viz doing it, but I think they prefer shounen anime to shoujo. It's not a completely insane idea since Funimation just ran off with Slayers AND One Piece.

Hmm....Monica Rial as Anthy? emot-confused

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#37 | Back to Top06-29-2007 06:58:13 AM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

Okay, okay, okay. I have someone uploading the sub for me.........like over two weeks ago emot-gonk I'm still waiting and have heard nothing back yet. I have decided to give it a week, and if I find no sub whatsoever, than I'll take the plunge and go for the dub. It wouldn't be such a problem if I didn't have such sensitive hearing......

#38 | Back to Top06-29-2007 01:26:30 PM

Drukqs
Ballgoer
Website

I don't think all dubs are bad, sometimes I find mixtures in a series where some of the VA's are good and others are not. I thought the English dub of Perfect blue was better than the Japanese overall, and some of the cast in EVA was good and some of them, *coughshinjicough* were awful.

OH YES.  I enjoyed the Evangelion dub very much.  People complain about the adding sfx/changing lines stuff, but I've never cared about that crap.  I actually preferred Tiffany Grant as Asuka; Yuko Miyamura kinda made me want to lock her in Cheney's man-sized safe and throw her to the bottom of the sea.  As for Shinji...um I always thought he was a whiny douche.  In both versions. (Even if I secretly want to hug him :o )

As for the Utena dub, I like it alright, actually.  I thought Rachel Lillis was wonderful.  The only voices that irked me were Saionji and Miki.  Miki especially, because he sounded like he was damn near 20, and that disturbs me intensely.  There are actually few dubs that make me want to go out and kill children.  The only ones that come to mind are Pokemon and the Dic version of Sailor Moon.  Yeah, I have high tolerance.

EDIT: 69th post. lulz. :devil:

Last edited by Drukqs (06-29-2007 01:28:53 PM)

You can go to LJ, or tastysouls.deviantart.com

#39 | Back to Top06-29-2007 01:41:53 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I rewatched the dub again recently, and I think that the only voices I still can't tolerate are Kanae and her mother. Also, when I watch SKU with my friends, the only episodes I make them watch in Japanese are Nanami's episodes. Everything else is pretty good, for the most part.

#40 | Back to Top07-10-2007 05:02:20 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

I just hate dubbing, it a crime! Seiyuu is something sacred for me. In SKU starred all great japanese stars, for example Koyasu Takehito aka Touga is famous. Mitsuishi Kotono gave voice Juri and... Usagi Tsukino in Sailor Moon.

Last edited by dlaire (07-10-2007 05:03:39 AM)

#41 | Back to Top07-10-2007 05:58:32 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Mitsuishi Kotono gave voice Juri and... Usagi Tsukino in Sailor Moon.

She also gave her voice to Mireille Bouquet in Noir and Excel in Excel Saga. That one was a real shocker to me. emot-aaa How does one transition from Usagi -> Juri, from Excel -> Mireille without being a genius? Which is to say, she's must be quite good at her work.

About dubs... He he he... I've always had this fantasy... Okay, not a fantasy. A daydream. An idea. The only way I would accept watching a dubbed SKU: If I'd be the one supervising basically everything about it. I'd request word to word accurate translations of the Japanese version, perfect voice actors who would have to be quite similar, if not completely the same, as the original. I would, of course, make them all watch SKU and make them understand the dynamics of their character before they go playing their role. I'd be such a pain in their asses. I'm a terrible perfectionist. cool

Croatia doesn't have a SKU dub yet, but I'm hoping that when one of the channels do decide to show SKU, that they won't do any dubbing. emot-frown Because no one cares enough to make it sound decent.

Board footer