This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-18-2012 06:56:12 PM

Darkened_Rosebride
Saionji Slapper
Website

Cosplay

soooooo... who has cosplayed from utena or planning to?

share share share emot-keke

"You think this dress is sinful? You should see what I'm wearing underneath..."

http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/RosebridePink/sig.jpg

#2 | Back to Top02-18-2012 07:06:31 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

Re: Cosplay

My sister will probably cosplay Himemiya next week! emot-dance

At least, I hope she does.

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#3 | Back to Top02-18-2012 08:22:14 PM

Darkened_Rosebride
Saionji Slapper
Website

Dognog wrote:

My sister will probably cosplay Himemiya next week! emot-dance

At least, I hope she does.

thats awesome has she finished making it? did she buy it? are there progress picts?

#4 | Back to Top02-18-2012 08:51:33 PM

Dognog
Friend, Perhaps

We bought it emot-keke
I'm actually not sure if we have pictures of her wearing it, though... But hopefully we will next weekend if everything goes to plan. I wish her girlfriend could go as Utena, but she hasn't even watched the show so oh well emot-tongue

"DOGNOG: He's got a fiancee, hoes, and freaks with his sister. He is the original PIMP."

#5 | Back to Top02-18-2012 09:08:14 PM

Darkened_Rosebride
Saionji Slapper
Website

i look forward to the pictures.
what about you what are you cosplaying?

#6 | Back to Top02-19-2012 01:05:07 PM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

I walked around for a bit at BishieCon in 2010 as Saionji, but I wore pants that were beige/almost white. I found an actual white pair of pants that I plan to dye so I can start showing up at future cons in full force.

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#7 | Back to Top02-19-2012 03:18:22 PM

Darkened_Rosebride
Saionji Slapper
Website

Chrome Homura wrote:

I walked around for a bit at BishieCon in 2010 as Saionji, but I wore pants that were beige/almost white. I found an actual white pair of pants that I plan to dye so I can start showing up at future cons in full force.

FANTASTIC!

#8 | Back to Top02-22-2012 12:41:20 PM

Louchan
Rose Bride

I wanna do it someday within my lifetime. etc-saiowank
I would love to cosplay Anthy since she's my favorite, but even attempting to make that dress? Highly unlikely.
I really want to go for a Utena cosplay as well, and it seems I might be able to get a chance to do it this year with the help of a friend.

#9 | Back to Top02-22-2012 05:10:30 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I cosplayed as Anthy a year ago!  Here's a picture: http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- … 3079_n.jpg

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#10 | Back to Top03-11-2012 12:43:18 AM

Darkened_Rosebride
Saionji Slapper
Website

HonorableShadow wrote:

I cosplayed as Anthy a year ago!  Here's a picture: http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- … 3079_n.jpg

that looks AWESOME

#11 | Back to Top04-16-2012 02:33:52 AM

Llarian
Miki Molester
Website

HonorableShadow wrote:

Very striking Anthy!! Nice job~

I'm the Akio in [THIS] photo from two years back.

What's the point? Art is so useless. It's such a waste of time!
And it's not like anyone else ever wastes time. It's not like you spend hours in front of the television or the computer accomplishing absolutely nothing.
Oh wait.

#12 | Back to Top04-16-2012 01:09:12 PM

jmie5
Precious One

Llarian wrote:

HonorableShadow wrote:

Very striking Anthy!! Nice job~

This is so, so, so for the win. school-devil

I've never cosplayed Utena; wearing a mint-green rose my pea coat in the winter does not count.  Though I must say that everyone around here looks so god!

I should get to it; I couldn't/shouldn't have collected these signet rings for nothing, I hope.  (Has a MOVIC movie-version, the one that came with the Nozomi boxset, and now a Shogakukan.)  I don't like my curves, but my fingers are the right size!  emot-biggrin

#13 | Back to Top04-16-2012 08:18:39 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Llarian wrote:

That's actually probably the best Akio I've ever seen. emot-dance

Not that a lot of people cosplay him. What possessed you, huh? emot-wink

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#14 | Back to Top04-17-2012 10:59:54 PM

Llarian
Miki Molester
Website

Thanks much! Yeah, I would encourage you to cosplay Utena.  The jacket actually looks fairly forgiving [I'm a little bottom-heavy XD]

As to what possessed me to cosplay Akio? He has a distinct outfit.  Honestly, I was too lazy to commission a duelist uniform at the time.  Plus Kosugi Jurota is hands-down my favorite seiyuu of the ever.

Next up for Utena cosplay is Ruka Tsuchiya.  I adore him in the manga, especially.  What a sweetheart. 

Anyone else have cosplay plans? emot-biggrin C'mon, out with it.

What's the point? Art is so useless. It's such a waste of time!
And it's not like anyone else ever wastes time. It's not like you spend hours in front of the television or the computer accomplishing absolutely nothing.
Oh wait.

#15 | Back to Top04-18-2012 01:00:48 AM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

I think I make a decent Saionji. I'll do my best to angst it up as traditionally as possible at RoseCon this year etc-saiowank

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

#16 | Back to Top05-07-2012 02:22:19 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

I've got two Utena costumes, series and movie versions. I might be talked into bringing them to Rosecon.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#17 | Back to Top08-22-2015 11:45:44 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

I'm beginning work nowwww~

school-eng101 https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNEiCEwUEAAjBOG.jpg

Coming soooooon~

For the record -- I kept searching, and i'm going to post the chronicles here I guess. Utena Tenjou's Shoes! (as if we need more google utena redirects, amirite?)

I used base white keds with black spray paint. Sadly, the spray paint bled a bit -- so i was forced to use some acrylic paint --then decided to paint the entire white part ... more white.
I used some standard red ribbon i found at the craft store and sewed them onto the shoes proper. This picture is before the bow was sewn!

Last edited by KissFromARose (08-22-2015 11:47:51 PM)

#18 | Back to Top08-29-2015 08:44:05 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Am I really bad at google?

I can't find a pattern online to model the Japanese Boy's uniform off of to make her jacket. Does anyone have any tips on that? Closest i've found is the civil war coat post from ------ 2003? So using this pattern to model from.

Does anyone have any tips or help with getting Utena's school jacket pattern. I would be really appreciative!!

-- as for this coming weekend at dragon con, I will be wearing the generic Ohtori school uniform with pink hair and the rocking shoes posted above. Hopefully I can style the wig well!

#19 | Back to Top09-03-2015 10:23:18 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

My advice? Get a female jacket pattern that's relatively close and wing it. I hand-sewed Duo Maxwell back in the day, and I had just modified the shit out of a black dress shirt. And I did a pretty good job--second best of like eight Duo's, and the only reason someone beat me is because she had bought an actual priest collar. Also, you're not bad at Google, there are seriously no female military jacket patterns. I have also looked. Extensively.

Remember that the fabric comes together in the center of the upturned collar, so you're going to need to have plenty of room so they can still join together even after it's been hemmed. Collars can be attached later, so if you screw it up, it's not a big deal until you attach it. And for the bottom, really, you just need it to flare out in a box shape for each side, more or less. Really, I'd find a pattern for a "princess cut" jacket or shirt and work from there. It'll have the outward flare, and make your shape gorgeous(seriously, princess-cut your whole wardrobe omg). And the main difference between jackets and shirts is just the thickness of the fabric, use of interfacing to make it even thicker, and making accommodations therein(i.e. you can't have teeny buttons and buttonholes on thickass fabric).

Last edited by Frau Eva (09-03-2015 10:26:19 PM)

Hat Mafia Member

#20 | Back to Top09-14-2015 10:33:56 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Frau Eva -- thank you for the advice. I just started my 3 week Hiatus so i plan on picking up a pattern and going at it. I'll post pictures here and updates. I started poking other cosplayers to try to figure out what methods they used as well. Will update with notes and photos -- see if we can nail something down for the future Utena cosplayer.

As an aside, i heard there was an Anthy / Utena at Dragoncon and i missed them. I am depressed.

#21 | Back to Top09-17-2015 12:19:08 AM

Paris Rose
New Student

I'm actually planning to cosplay as Utena at the next upcoming convention in Glasgow.
Since my hair is already pink and short, you can probably guess which outfit I'll be wearing.
I'll hopefully have some pictures to show for it later but right now, I'm in the middle of sewing the suit together. >_<

#22 | Back to Top09-17-2015 12:24:08 AM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Paris Rose wrote:

I'm actually planning to cosplay as Utena at the next upcoming convention in Glasgow.
Since my hair is already pink and short, you can probably guess which outfit I'll be wearing.
I'll hopefully have some pictures to show for it later but right now, I'm in the middle of sewing the suit together. >_<

Thats awesome! are you using a pattern for the outfit? share pictures of your progress please!!!

#23 | Back to Top05-22-2017 07:07:15 AM

OhtoriArt
New Student
Website

Sure thing! I cosplayed the manga, series and movie version and also the ohtori school uniform. Currently planning a shoot of her series version in front of a white school building and in a rose garden.

http://ohtoriart.deviantart.com/gallery … a-Cosplays

#24 | Back to Top05-23-2017 10:54:38 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Hmm, that wig makes me think more of Juri than Utena, with how curly it is, but great job otherwise. emot-smile

#25 | Back to Top05-24-2017 02:28:59 AM

OhtoriArt
New Student
Website

Aelanie wrote:

Hmm, that wig makes me think more of Juri than Utena, with how curly it is, but great job otherwise. emot-smile

Well, Utena's hair in the movie is at least wavy, but yeah, I love making curly wig styles ^.- Thanks!

Last edited by OhtoriArt (05-24-2017 02:29:32 AM)

Board footer