This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#126 | Back to Top02-24-2007 10:29:52 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Re: Current Anime

A Day Without Me wrote:

Hey, is the series Air actually any good?

Yes. My sister is obsessed with that anime, and adores the character Misuzu. It was originally based off of a visual novel, and I think that it was the first successful transfer from a visual novel to an anime.

There's nothing more fun than seeing the look on a guy's face when he see two teenage girls express the fact that they like visual novels/dating simulators. :3 (Girls are a vast minority in that fandom, though the anime itself is like a regular Shoujo Anime.)

#127 | Back to Top02-28-2007 07:47:39 PM

Pallas Athena
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

I'm watching...

Coyote Ragtime Show..ala the show that perhaps can be listed with Cowboy Bebop/Wolf's Rain/Trigun's this is a freakin epic anime type appeal.
Oh and the fact is that there is a Space Mafia headed by one woman with twelve girls named after the months of the year and dressed in gothic/lolitha outfits along with signature weapons doesn't hurt the eyes either.

My-Hime...yes I have been caught in the force that is...ShizNat...aka Shizuru and Natsuki.

Paranoia Agent...yes I love this show...crazy as it is..

Paradise Kiss...I love fashion..and I love George of this anime.

Sailor Moon...haha yeah I said it...Sailor Frickin' Moon.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f247/logophony/dollshouse.jpg

#128 | Back to Top03-01-2007 08:14:40 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

I'm watching Kanon

emot-gonk

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#129 | Back to Top03-02-2007 10:59:48 AM

A Day Without Me

Pallas Athena wrote:

Paranoia Agent has the best instance of black humor I have EVER seen - but I don't wanna say anything 'cause I dunno how far into the series you are. All I can say is that I would be laughing, and then jam a fist in my mouth because then my conscience would catch up and be like, "Holy shit, you can't laugh at that!!!"

I have always liked its opening sequence.

#130 | Back to Top03-02-2007 11:03:33 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

A Day Without Me wrote:

I'm watching Kanon

emot-gonk

Is it the version of Kanon where the guy has a weird face, or the one where the guy looks older than he should? (Either way, I still want to punch him in the face.)

#131 | Back to Top03-02-2007 11:17:23 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Pallas Athena wrote:

That anime was sold to me on the idea that George was very much like Akio. The series did not deliver. I enjoyed it anyway though, it's refreshing to see shoujo anime aimed at a more mature crowd. I can't watch children's anime, no matter how cute and fluffy it is.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#132 | Back to Top03-02-2007 11:25:13 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I absolutely loved Parakiss. Isabella was so pretty ;-; He's my idol. Kinda.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#133 | Back to Top03-02-2007 12:57:43 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

I'm currently watching Jungle wa Itsumo Hale nochi Guu and feel like I've dropped some bad acid recently. The writers of that show certainly did. It tells about a young boy Hale who lives with is mother in a rather surreal jungle village that is technologically quite developed - video games and public school system exist among other things. His calm life comes to an end when his mother adopts a strange girl Guu, who makes a good first impression, but is quickly revealed to be more or less a Lovecraftian deity in a girl's guise.

I have just this to say: this show is freaky. I can't remember ever being scared of horror movies at any level, but Guu has actually creeped me out in more than one occasion. If a poll for the most disturbing/scary anime character was made, I'd elect her without a second taught.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#134 | Back to Top03-02-2007 01:05:45 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

Paranoia Agent has the best instance of black humor I have EVER seen - but I don't wanna say anything 'cause I dunno how far into the series you are. All I can say is that I would be laughing, and then jam a fist in my mouth because then my conscience would catch up and be like, "Holy shit, you can't laugh at that!!!"

You wouldn't happen to mean

SPOILER (highlight to see it)
Episode 8, "Happy Family Planning", with the suicide pact trio and the two adults trying to avoid letting the girl die, would you?

END SPOILER

I know what you mean!

Amazing show, Paranoia Agent.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (03-02-2007 01:09:29 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#135 | Back to Top03-02-2007 04:27:30 PM

A Day Without Me

Yes, that's the one I mean! I loved that episode, it was done so well!

As for Kanon, I am watching the 2006 version, Razara - I've gotten sucked in, what can I say? The animation looked pretty, so I just had to look ^^;

#136 | Back to Top03-02-2007 04:35:43 PM

Pallas Athena
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

Pallas Athena wrote:

I have always liked its opening sequence.

Oh I've seen all the episodes and let me tell ya..the ending is soooooo surreal..and yet genius I love it..

#137 | Back to Top03-02-2007 04:36:52 PM

Pallas Athena
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Pallas Athena wrote:

That anime was sold to me on the idea that George was very much like Akio. The series did not deliver. I enjoyed it anyway though, it's refreshing to see shoujo anime aimed at a more mature crowd. I can't watch children's anime, no matter how cute and fluffy it is.

So you saying the series did not deliver...i.e. as in..George is not seen in bondage...i.e. there is no bondage at all?! How can you not have an anime on fashion without bondage!

#138 | Back to Top03-02-2007 08:24:50 PM

A Day Without Me

OH MY GOD, GO WATCH 5 CENTIMETERS PER SECOND RIGHT NOW.

I just finished watching the first part (only part released so far), and just... oh. my. god. The animation! It's to die for! And the story itself is fantastic, the pacing is done well... and I just can't praise this enough. I've been dying to see it ever since I saw a preview and saw the animation quality, and I'm so glad everything measured up so well. GO WATCH IT!!!

#139 | Back to Top03-02-2007 11:15:31 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I'm watching Code Geass and Jigoku Shoujo at this point.

Code Geass, it's an interesting take of an alternate universe for our world. And I love the plot twists and the character development the series is going for right now. It leaves you guessing many many times emot-smile

Jigoku Shoujo, well, it's interesting to observe human behaviors, but I don't really enjoy it as much as I enjoy Code Geass because well, the story's so dark, and, so many times, hopeless for humanity. Right now, the show's sort of becoming more optimistic, but it's still pretty sad. People sending each other to hell for various reasons. Some of them so ridiculous that makes me wonder, whatever happened to communications and social interactions.

As for ParaKiss... three people I absolutely love, George, Isabella, and Mikako. And the seemingly post-modern styles of the anime really got to me.

Come to think of it, I remembered a friend of mine telling me that George is an a$$hole. Didn't see it that way, but um, Akio, huh... that reminds me of how Akio drinks up the "Utena juice" to drain her life. George, in a way, is draining on Carrie, even though he DOES love her.

#140 | Back to Top03-03-2007 12:00:32 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Eight eps into Noir and I'm liking it a lot. It almost made me cry twice. Which is a big deal because I never cry over anything unless I';m horribly depressed or its incredibly touching. The music gets to me.

Yuki Kajiura's music....etc-wankgirletc-wankgirletc-wankgirl

Pallas Athena wrote:

Sailor Moon is the god (or godess) of all anime. Do not be ashamed, there are others out there like you.

*getting her hands on second season*

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#141 | Back to Top03-03-2007 12:42:06 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

YamPuff wrote:

Eight eps into Noir and I'm liking it a lot. It almost made me cry twice. Which is a big deal because I never cry over anything unless I';m horribly depressed or its incredibly touching. The music gets to me.

I love Noir.  I have the box set, the soundtracks and I sometimes write some fanfiction for shoujo-ai challenge.  The series is a little slowpaced at the start but it just gets better and better.  Especially as the character relations develop.  Episode 14 is when it -really- starts getting interesting.  it's one of my favorite series.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#142 | Back to Top03-03-2007 02:45:19 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

A Day Without Me wrote:

OH MY GOD, GO WATCH 5 CENTIMETERS PER SECOND RIGHT NOW.

I just finished watching the first part (only part released so far), and just... oh. my. god. The animation! It's to die for! And the story itself is fantastic, the pacing is done well... and I just can't praise this enough. I've been dying to see it ever since I saw a preview and saw the animation quality, and I'm so glad everything measured up so well. GO WATCH IT!!!

Whoa, the animation alone is a masterpiece. I've never seen anything like this before. O__O I've got to watch that!!

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#143 | Back to Top03-03-2007 04:15:29 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

YamPuff wrote:

Pallas Athena wrote:

Sailor Moon is the god (or godess) of all anime. Do not be ashamed, there are others out there like you.

On another message board (AoD to be exact) there was a thread asking us what the series in our collections are that we spent the most on... my answer: Sailor Moon!  I think I figured that I spent about $580 on that series, and it's $580 well spent, thank you! emot-keke  That covers the first 4 seasons and the 3 movies.  Stars exists for me as RealVideo files on a couple of CDRs.  I also have the Ami-chan's First Love short as an .avi on my HD.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (03-03-2007 04:16:05 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#144 | Back to Top03-03-2007 05:00:30 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Ami-chan's FIrst Love was in my opinion, hilarious... She was so obsessed with defeating her mystery rival, she had delusions.
I was really hoping that they'd make a short clip on "Mako-chan's Depression", but I can only dream... That one, by far, was my favorite Entrance Exam Stories.

#145 | Back to Top03-03-2007 06:37:26 PM

dollface
Website

Has anyone ever seen Gantz? I was looking into picking up a copy, because I thought it looked interesting, but I haven't heard any good reviews for it. Haven't heard any bad ones either, though.  I mean, it has the elements that can make it amazing, in my opinion, but it also kinda looks like they could royally fuck it up. Like it has qualifications to be series Akio, but it looks like it might turn out like movie Akio. Anyway, so has anyone seen it that can offer an opinion?

Last edited by dollface (03-03-2007 06:37:39 PM)

#146 | Back to Top03-03-2007 06:43:22 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

dollface wrote:

Has anyone ever seen Gantz? I was looking into picking up a copy, because I thought it looked interesting, but I haven't heard any good reviews for it. Haven't heard any bad ones either, though.  I mean, it has the elements that can make it amazing, in my opinion, but it also kinda looks like they could royally fuck it up. Like it has qualifications to be series Akio, but it looks like it might turn out like movie Akio. Anyway, so has anyone seen it that can offer an opinion?

My best friend loves it. He's currently watching that now. Unfortunately, he's also currently offline, so I don't know anymore more than that.

#147 | Back to Top03-03-2007 09:46:20 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Re Gantz: I watched the first volume. It had an obvious mystery, a lot of weirdness, and the most incredibly unlikable hero I've ever seen. It's obviously trying to be ambitious and deep; it didn't really interest me, however. Because it is dark, violent and the hero is very much an asshole, I'd suggest a try before you buy unless all that is usually to your tastes.

#148 | Back to Top03-03-2007 10:03:41 PM

dollface
Website

Hmm, that's what I was worried about. From previews and such it looked very violent and dark, which I like, but not exactly in the right way. It seemed a little forced to me, like the director reaaaaaally wanted this to be one of those memorable shows; wanted it so badly that everything cliche to dark anime is kinda forced into it, just to be sure it happens. That's what I consider royally fucking something up.

#149 | Back to Top03-03-2007 10:54:45 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

I don't remember if it's been covered in this thread or not, but have you seen Texhnolyze, dollface?  It seems like it would be your kind of show.  They don't get much darker than that.

It helps that it's artistically brilliant.  It's also a Yoshitoshi ABe related project, which means instant praise from me. emot-keke

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (03-03-2007 10:56:29 PM)

#150 | Back to Top03-03-2007 11:46:55 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I'm rewatching the Toki no Byoushin saga of D.N.Angel. Out of the entire series, that's the only thing I can think of that was worth rewatching. The story was pretty good, and it has two songs that I really like. Plus, Freedert is really cute.

Board footer