This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top07-24-2007 11:39:47 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: The SKU Symbolism Game

Razara wrote:

"It's not something you normally think about, and it doesn't serve much of a purpose, but from time to time, you look up at it, and it makes you feel better."

If memory serves, this quote gets used to describe what a big brother is, not what a sibling relationship is.  That would make Miki the moon, technically -- though I think the quote is applied specifically to Akio.

Mind you, the Apollo/Artemis thing isn't totally off, and the moon does seem like an appropriate symbol for Kozue; I just don't think Ikuhara deploys it that way.

#52 | Back to Top07-24-2007 12:27:01 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I'm aware of this. But for me, Kozue is the moon, and I could ramble on and on about why I believe that if it hadn't been so long since I last thought about it.

#53 | Back to Top07-24-2007 01:53:40 PM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

I believe Akio was making an allusion, not painting what would be a lasting symbol.

#54 | Back to Top07-24-2007 03:41:56 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Anthy symbolizes the ocean because she's deep and mysterious...and fishy as hell.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#55 | Back to Top07-25-2007 01:11:11 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Time for a new symbol. Which character would a rock symbolize?

Yes, this one is kind of difficult. But think about it. There are a lot of rocks, and a single rock would be one among many. But other types of rocks are really rare, and shine brighter than the rest. Don't feel as though you're insulting a character by comparing them to a rock, because rocks are a very important tool for building. Rocks can also be used for building. They're also very dangerous, and can be used to kill people. Perhaps the person who represents a rock is emotionally tough.

#56 | Back to Top07-25-2007 02:58:03 PM

Pandora
Pathtracer

A rock, huh?

I'd actually say Akio, he's the one Utena always seems to go to so she can talk about things like Wakaba being super happy or why a sister is a good thing. And he's always there and listens to her. He also always seems strong emotionally, too. And sexually, obviously.

Or maybe Mikage? He listens to people rant on about their worries, too.

#57 | Back to Top07-25-2007 03:12:15 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I'm going to have to say that Juri is a rock, specifically some kind of hard crystal. Corundum perhaps. It looks pretty (rubies, sapphires, etc.) and it seems very strong, but if hit from the right angle, it shatters.

Plus, sapphire reminds me of sapphic.emot-tongue

EDIT: Ooh! And corundum is only pretty because of it's flaws! A perfect corundum crystal is colorless and boring.

Last edited by Stormcrow (07-25-2007 03:13:05 PM)

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#58 | Back to Top07-25-2007 04:48:51 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

As usual, let me riff on this theme instead of addressing it explicitly emot-smile  What stones would best represent the Seitokai members?

Touga - Diamond.  This one was a no-brainer; not only is a diamond a symbol of wealth, but it's formed when a vein of coal is put under intense pressure for eons.  Touga's pressure is mostly self-imposed, but that's just details.  Going a layer deeper, no natural diamond is flawless, but it's possible to synthesize a flawless diamond; in just the same way, when Touga is at his most flawless, he is also at his most artificial.

Saionji - Cubic zirconia.  It's hard to define Saionji except as a foil to Touga; he sees himself as inferior, doomed to always be second best.  What he doesn't realize is that while cubic zirconia may be less expensive and less "classic" than a diamond, it actually shines with a brighter fire.  Cubic zirconia is not just imitation diamond; it's beautiful in its own right.

Juri - Pearl.  I like Stormcrow's answer too, but the pearl gets at the "water" theme that Juri has going on, and conveys the fact that the beauty of this character comes largely from the complex built around an irritant -- Shiori.  Technically, I think that would make Juri the oyster rather than the pearl, but fuck you.  The way I talk to myself is just adorable, isn't it?

Miki - Amethyst.  Before you crack it open, an amethyst is just an intriguing rock; but when you do crack it open, a forest of crystals glitter inside.  In the same way, Miki is generally an introvert.  You never really find out how special he is until you invite him over to your dorm room (or fuck his sister, a different way of cracking someone open).  Amethyst also conventionally symbolizes thought and the spirit.

Nanami - Coal.  Ugh, I hate Nanami.  She is dirty and she makes me feel dirty.  But there's no denying that she has the potential to become a diamond someday, and based on her idolatry of her big brother, she's headed in that direction.  You can also throw her in a reactor and burn her for power, and I encourage you to do so.

#59 | Back to Top07-25-2007 05:05:41 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Technically, I think that would make Juri the oyster rather than the pearl, but fuck you.

Always the best defense for anything. emot-smile

I think that Anthy is somewhat of a rock. She is very steady and unchanging. Though I can agree that on how Akio can be someone's rock, I think Anthy is more like a rock in a literal sense. She's hard [unfeeling, you pervs], cold, and it takes a certain kind of pressure to break her. Generally a rock can weather a great deal of things [common things, like wind, or rain, as well as bigger things, like hurricanes, or oceanic pressure]. For some, a rock is simply a rock, and serves no purpose but to build up something greater. For others, a rock can be made into a beautiful gem, if only the effort is given. Ultimately, a rock will always remain a rock, unable to do anything on it's own, only used to amplify something else. And yet, because of that, it is almost indestructive.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#60 | Back to Top07-25-2007 05:58:55 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I suppose an argument can be made that everyone on the show can be a rock. You'd have your precious stones, semi-precious stones, shiny rocks, and regular rocks. The Student Council, Utena, et.al. get to be the precious stones, like diamonds, sapphires, and such. I'd put Kozue, Nanami, and Saionji in the semi-precious stone category, agates, obsidian, things like that. Wakaba, Shiori, and Keiko are shiny rocks, and everyone else gets to be a regular rock.

Now, I'm sure you're wondering what the difference is between a shiny rock and a semi-precious stone. For metaphorical purposes, the shiny rocks are simply people who don't realize their value as an individual. They live their lives in someone's shadow and lament their position. Semiprecious stones, however, also live in someone's shadow, but eventually realize that they're just as important as the precious stone they live with.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#61 | Back to Top07-27-2007 01:05:17 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Anyway, which characters would symbolize spring, summer, fall, and winter? (No help today. It shouldn't be a hard one, either way.)

#62 | Back to Top07-27-2007 06:56:44 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I know that Touga is winter but the others?

#63 | Back to Top07-27-2007 07:26:19 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Come on, guys, do I have to hold your hand through all of these? emot-gonk

Spring is a time of rebirth, so perhaps it could represent a character who wants to change something about themselves. It's also a time of love and romance, so it could also represent a character who longs for affection. Though spring is supposed to be warm, it has a nasty tendency to stay cold long than it should.

Summertime is hot, so perhaps the character is hot as well. When you think of summer, you usually think of freedom. Even if you're not young enough for summer vacation, it's still the prime season to leave your home and travel far away. It's a prime time to socialize with friends.

Fall is when we all get back to school, or work, and one where we tend to have to start acting more serious than most. Fall has many different colors, and is usually cold. When we think of fall, we usually think of Halloween, and things that scare us. Everything that once was filled with life dies temporarily during the fall, only to live again during the spring.

Winter is cold, and dangerous. The snow can be a huge hazard for driving, and staying outside too long can be risky. However, we can't deny that that snow we all love so much is one of the most beautiful things this world has to offer for us, and seeing it can be very exciting, especially for small children. (Or my Sims, who feel the need to get out of bed at two in the morning to acknowledge the fact that it's snowing.)

#64 | Back to Top07-27-2007 08:49:15 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Well, literally every single character has a plant somewhere in their names.  Some have two.  So we could go by plants...

Spring
Utena: "Utena" means "calyx," the part of a flower that underlies the petals and protects the delicate interior workings of the flower.  Sometimes these workings include the base of the stamen -- the flower's male reproductive organ.  Anything to do with reproduction and budding flowers has to be filed under "spring."
Anthy: From "anther," the top part of the stamen.  Reproduction again.
Wakaba: Literally "young leaf," so this one's a no-brainer.
Nanami: The ki in "Kiryuu" names a hardwood tree that buds in spring.  Touga could go here too, but his given name contains a more specific seasonal reference, while Nanami's just means "nut no. 7."
Kozue: Kaoru means fragrant, and kozue means treetop.  Treetops make me think of spring, and plants are most fragrant in spring.
Ruka: Tsuchiya is "soil valley," and the ka of Ruka means fruit.  All spring-sounding, which is ironic since he would've been my easy top pick for autumn.
Kanae: The nae means "sapling."  Nuff said.

Summer
Shiori: The tsuki of Takatsuki names an ornamental tree; Shiori means "branch weave."  No specific seasonal references here, but I'm putting her in summer because "branch weave" suggests full growth to me.
Mikage: "Souji" means "grass time," and I think of grass as a summer plant.  I'm sure different varieties of grass are most prolific in spring, summer, or autumn.

Autumn
Keiko: "Sonoda Keiko" is "garden rice field stalk child."  Enough plants in there?  Anyway, I don't really know when rice's growing season is, but for some reason I want to say autumn, and this category would be empty if not for Keiko, so...

Winter
Touga: Literally "winter bud" -- hence, the love that blossomed in winter.
Miki: Miki means tree trunk.  He should probably go in spring for the same reason I put Kozue there, but the tree trunk makes me think of winter, since in winter that's all that's left of the visible tree.
Tsuwabuki: Means "stone butterbur."  The butterbur is a plant that grows in spring, but is chiefly notable for its roots, which are a symbol of winter to me.  Barren stone is also a winter symbol.

#65 | Back to Top08-08-2007 10:40:24 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

The next symbol was inspired during a phone conversation with my friend. "Melissa's destroying a city on Sim City... I wonder what a volcano would symbolize?" I wasn't fully listening, so I don't remember her interpretation very well.

This game really is better played in real life at whim. We ended up symbolizing everything at the lake. (Ground, sand, water, boats, islands, clouds, seagulls, bugs, fish, everything.) On our drive home from the beach, we also came up with the rules for this game:

The Spot Akio's Car Game: Long car rides can be boring, so why not entertain yourself by trying to find Akio's car?

Shiori's Car: A Normal Dark Purple Car: 20 Points

Utena's Car: A Normal Bright Pink Car: 50 Points

Wakaba's Car: A Light Green Jeep: 100 Points

Akio's Car: A Red Convertible: 200 Points, and the Game Ends

Once you find Akio's car, the game is over. Whoever got the most points wins. If you're alone, you can always play against yourself and try to beat your own high score. I've found that Akio's car is actually quite common to find on warm summer days, but during the winter, obviously no one is going to have their roof down, so try to spot a red convertible with it's roof up. These don't count on nice days.

Isn't that completely pointless? emot-keke

#66 | Back to Top08-22-2007 01:26:24 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

Wikipedia wrote:

A volcano is an opening, or rupture, in a planet's surface or crust, which allows hot, molten rock, ash, and gases to escape from deep below the surface.

I think a volcano can symbolize a Black Rose Duelist, or rather, the effect that the Black Rose has on them.

These dormant individuals that the main characters have built their lives on (with Keiko, I think it's more that Touga's built his life on women in general) explode with emotion.

And that flippin' sweet Akio car game reminds me of a game I made up on the way to New York called "Yum." Basically, you look at all the license plates and try to make 69 out of the numbers or somehow relate it to the letters. One of those letter combinations was "FI," because F is the sixth letter in the alphabet and I is the ninth, and it always made me think of Kozue's duel song.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#67 | Back to Top08-22-2007 03:09:30 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

A bit off topic, but my two computers together make up a network called Ohtori Academy (that is, they will if I ever get that hub). My old computer... I think it might be still named Muad'dib. Why the Kwizatz Haderach is in Ohtori, I don't know. My new computer's hard drive is called 'Projector'. The computer itself is Wakaba. Why the Projector is in Wakaba fails me.

As for the volcano, to me they symbolize violent change. I see a few things that are indicators of a complete change. One is the car ride to World's End in Akio's car, therefore I'd say the car could be a volcano. As NajiMinkin said, the Black Rose saga is a nice example. Most of the time, the duelists don't actually change their circumstances, but I think they do change themselves with expressing what is eating at them. Also, Anthy's departure is a huge volcano for Akio and the Academy. Nothing could bring about bigger change than the Bride leaving the game.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#68 | Back to Top08-22-2007 06:29:58 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

The volcano is Utena, or moreso her presence felt there. Lava ravages and destroys, but it allows new and uncorrupted growth in its wake. Utena slowly diminishes the coffins of the Student Council members, and breaks the corrupted dreams of the Black Rose duelists. In its place, they are forced to rebuild themselves as new people, stronger and more mature. She wipes away Akio's influence and eventually allows regrowth.

As for the red car, I am now officially calling the Pimpmobile.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#69 | Back to Top12-07-2009 09:10:55 AM

BalamiyaVardihi
High Tripper

It seems pretty empty in here.

Twirling round with this familiar parabol
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and
Celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing

#70 | Back to Top12-08-2009 12:12:09 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Once again, I completely forgot that a thread I made existed. emot-aaa This game was better to play in real life, but I can start it up again, if you'd like. (Though if I kill the thread, the game dies with it.)

You can determine whom a cigar would symbolize until I can come up with something better. school-freud

#71 | Back to Top12-08-2009 03:47:48 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Akio comes to mind. school-devil
Hot, dark, tasty, leaves a good/bad taste in your mouth...is gonna burn you if you get too close.
Plus it closely resembles his favorite part of his rather splendid anatomy.
Plus smoking one is often the habit of rich older men of culture and sophistication.
Plus smoking one can seem mysterious. And proceed deep thoughts (total lines about stars and such). And follow sex.

Actually I'm really surprised he doesn't smoke one. He should start!

#72 | Back to Top12-09-2009 04:26:41 AM

randomprojects
Juri Jeerer

I'm going to say Akio as well - cigars are considered to be more sophisticated and alluring than ordinary cigarettes. It could possibily connotate to Akio's 'superiority' to the duelists and people in Ohtori in general, and everyone wants to become like him/be part of his world. It also links in with his adult-ness, the supposed maturity and sophistication, but also the corrupt side of it (smoking looks cool! ...But it gives you lung cancer in the long run.) Cigars are usually linked with wealth and power as well - things that Akio possess (or at least everybody, including himself, thinks he does). Due to these connections, cigars also have a certain sensuality associated with them - this is a jaded view, but sex is all about power - a intergal characteristic of Akio (and Touga, to a lesser extent).

Last edited by randomprojects (12-09-2009 04:29:54 AM)

Board footer