This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#176 | Back to Top03-04-2015 01:50:08 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Re: Little things you realized after watching this show too damn much

Episode 36, Touga and Saionji walk towards Utena & Anthy framed with white roses with an obscured silhouette, rather like the time Utena first starts thinking of Touga as her prince.

I found watching Saionji in it to be very interesting. Especially because, for several scenes, he remains entirely quiet. Which is unusual for Saionji.( As a side note, I love his eloquence. He is always interesting to listen to and has such a particular way of speaking. He doesn't just say 'you can come to my room,' no, he says 'you are generally welcome in my domain'. )

In any case, during the scene where Touga challenges Utena to a duel, Saionji walks over to Anthy and flops down with his head on her lap. Otherwise they ignore each other. What's interesting to me is that Saionji, since returning from being expelled, displays zero interest in Anthy. Even after his trip to End of the World, he seems more crazed and going through the motions than actively pursuing Anthy. He tells Utena straight out during their duel that Anthy cares for no one and has no feelings, in sharp contrast to his usual 'Anthy and I are lovu lovuu'. He honestly does not seem to be fighting for Anthy at all and after the duel never approaches or speaks with her again.

And then this scene pops up. In some ways I thought it was rather like a 'fuck you' to Anthy on Saionji's part. "I know you're putting on the docile act and have to put up with me so I will infringe on your personal space, but you mean nothing to me anymore, so I will neither speak to you nor look you in the face.' Anthy gives him exactly the reaction he knows she will; she ignores him.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/vlcsnap-2015-03-04-22h41m29s104_zpsibtjcsgk.png~original
I CAN DO PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE TOO, ANTHY.

He then continues his silence, playing the perfect Rose Bride to Touga, his face is partially hidden in the car that circles the arena, he assists Touga without speaking or overtly interfering and he ignores Anthy.

Just a thought. emot-rofl

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#177 | Back to Top03-04-2015 05:19:02 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

YamPuff wrote:

AWESOME POST
+
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/ … g~original
I CAN DO PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE TOO, ANTHY.

OMG I totally agree with everything said!

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#178 | Back to Top03-13-2015 01:53:34 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

SO this was some nice episode analysis and then this happened:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/1593f559-6a6f-4abb-b086-08a38230cb61_zpsod057cpu.png~original

I am not exaggerating when I say this series still gives me occasional chills. emot-gonk

Last edited by YamPuff (03-13-2015 01:56:46 AM)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#179 | Back to Top03-13-2015 11:45:21 PM

turkicnomad
New Student
Website

There's a file on my desktop labelled "utena dead duelists" with screenshots of all of the corpses before they are unceremoniously thrown into Hell. Let me tell you, the faces and hairstyles of all these young men mimic the living duelists uncannily. It's not okay. Shiori's surrogate corpse has a bird laying in the casket. There is also an unusual inconsistency in shoe placement. However, the twin's surrogates is the worst.

Kunihiko Ikuhara, a saint among men, his fetish is lesbians in healthy relationships.

#180 | Back to Top03-14-2015 02:56:37 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

turkicnomad wrote:

There's a file on my desktop labelled "utena dead duelists" with screenshots of all of the corpses before they are unceremoniously thrown into Hell. Let me tell you, the faces and hairstyles of all these young men mimic the living duelists uncannily. It's not okay. Shiori's surrogate corpse has a bird laying in the casket. There is also an unusual inconsistency in shoe placement. However, the twin's surrogates is the worst.

It did occur to me once that the guys in the coffins were probably all different but I never ended up actually pausing the frames to check it out. I was usually too busy puzzling over the stuff going on in the Black Rose Arc. But DAMN. This is way creepy and very not okay. emot-gonk

#181 | Back to Top03-14-2015 07:33:13 AM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

I believe the people shown in the coffin were added to the remastered edition released by RightStuf. I'm curious if they were taken from unused cels that were made for the show or if they were created completely new on the computer?

#182 | Back to Top03-17-2015 02:55:46 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/3515624_zpstasfvibg.jpg~original

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/3515625_zpsw1ku8yd2.jpg~original

Utena: slower than a duck.

Jacrad wrote:

I believe the people shown in the coffin were added to the remastered edition released by RightStuf. I'm curious if they were taken from unused cels that were made for the show or if they were created completely new on the computer?

So they weren't in the original release? That's the version I first watched...hmmm. Really interesting. Besides being a neat/creepy little thing to notice, I wonder what it is meant to symbolize, or represent?

#183 | Back to Top03-17-2015 08:02:58 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

YamPuff wrote:

Utena: slower than a duck.

I'm one of the four SKU fans in the world who can take or leave Princess Tutu, and even I laughed helplessly. emot-rofl

#184 | Back to Top04-17-2015 09:51:09 PM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

Okay, this wasn't from watching the show but after watching an Utena AMV for the umpteenth time I realized that the wall with all the pictures Utena stands in front of at Nemuro Memorial Hall in episode 23 has photos of real people.

#185 | Back to Top04-18-2015 09:19:31 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I'm pretty sure that's the production staff.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#186 | Back to Top05-02-2015 06:52:53 PM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

Each time a character's shirt is open sex is implied. Open flies, cars, and beds may also be interpreted as symbols for sex. This show has way more sexual innuendos than I realized! And this was for kids?!

"Depression, the bereavement of the Past
Anxiety, the imminence of the Future
Contentment, the seduction of the Present
Time flows mercilessly, and I reside on the Island of Denial"

#187 | Back to Top05-02-2015 07:55:06 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

DorianGray345 wrote:

Each time a character's shirt is open sex is implied. Open flies, cars, and beds may also be interpreted as symbols for sex. This show has way more sexual innuendos than I realized! And this was for kids?!

I think sex is implied whenever two characters are interacting, and also whenever they are not.  school-devil

#188 | Back to Top05-03-2015 12:13:48 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Two characters exist. Therefore, they have sex.

Unless part of the basis of their characterization is a lack of sex.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#189 | Back to Top05-03-2015 06:01:02 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Counterargument: Miki and Saionji, Miki and Juri, Miki and Nanami. Maybe there's just something about Miki?

#190 | Back to Top05-03-2015 06:36:01 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Atropos wrote:

Counterargument: Miki and Saionji, Miki and Juri, Miki and Nanami. Maybe there's just something about Miki?

He's one of the only characters Akio doesn't even try to put the moves on. emot-frown
But Mikage kinda hits on him so I guess it evens out.

#191 | Back to Top05-03-2015 11:58:28 AM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

Giovanna wrote:

Two characters exist. Therefore, they have sex.

Unless part of the basis of their characterization is a lack of sex.

Gio, this is not good for my brain! emot-gonk

#192 | Back to Top05-04-2015 02:53:38 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

YamPuff wrote:

Atropos wrote:

He's one of the only characters Akio doesn't even try to put the moves on. emot-frown

Good point, maybe Akio has a contagious strain of nymphomania, which Miki and Juri would never have caught because neither communicates with him like, at all. He's not even the prime mover in their car rides. But my point was that Miki would be the character whose characterization is a lack of sex. (Tsuwabuki as well, and to some extent, Saionji. He seems a lot more relaxed at the end of the show, though...not reassuring given who his likely options are by then.)

DorianGray345 wrote:

Neither is SKU, my friend. Neither is SKU. poptart

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#193 | Back to Top05-04-2015 04:17:27 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Giovanna wrote:

But my point was that Miki would be the character whose characterization is a lack of sex. (Tsuwabuki as well, and to some extent, Saionji. He seems a lot more relaxed at the end of the show, though...not reassuring given who his likely options are by then.)

Okay, but then your point boils down to "Any two characters have sex unless they don't," which doesn't prove anything. There are so many exceptions to the ruie that you might say the rule doesn't exist at all. For example, Juri never has sex with Utena, but that doesn't mean that a "lack of sex" is Utena's characterization, or Juri's. Both characters have sexual elements to their characters, as does Miki; if you're saying that they "lack sex" because they aren't having sex with all the other characters, then that's just circular reasoning.

I'll actually argue the opposite point to yours: it's really the characters for whom sex is implied who are the anomalies, not the ones who aren't having sex. Akio has sex with everyone and Touga has sex with everyone, but none of the other characters necessarily have sex with each other, and if they were, then those characters would be unexceptional in the amount of sex they have. You can't have playboys without having homely virgins, and a lot of characters in SKU would really fall into the latter category (maybe not the "homely" part, but the "virgin" part, sure). And yet, all those characters are highly sexual, even if they don't phrase it in those terms. Juri doesn't have sex with anyone except possibly Ruka, and even that's a stretch, but a lack of sexuality isn't her characterization: her entire character focuses around an unrequited sexual desire, also known as "love."

#194 | Back to Top05-04-2015 08:26:16 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oh I agree! I'm sorry, I was being sarcastic before, hence the circular reasoning. emot-redface

I don't think of the entire cast as a bunch of sex-crazed maniacs. And no, most of the characters either aren't having it, or aren't having it lots. I'm just self-aware enough that to hear me say it, everyone is constantly stumbling face first onto either Akio's or Touga's cock. It's kind of a headcanon fantasy version of the show to me. emot-rolleyes

#195 | Back to Top05-04-2015 09:14:55 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Juri and Saionji would both lose their frustrated, tightly wound charm if they actually got some. etc-saiowanketc-jurishlick

Maybe that's the motivation for the folks who ship those two.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#196 | Back to Top05-05-2015 01:04:39 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Giovanna wrote:

Oh I agree! I'm sorry, I was being sarcastic before, hence the circular reasoning.

See, now I feel like an asshole. emot-redface Sorry.

#197 | Back to Top05-05-2015 03:03:04 PM

DorianGray345
Tenjou Tilter

Giovanna wrote:

YamPuff wrote:

Atropos wrote:

Good point, maybe Akio has a contagious strain of nymphomania, which Miki and Juri would never have caught because neither communicates with him like, at all. He's not even the prime mover in their car rides. But my point was that Miki would be the character whose characterization is a lack of sex. (Tsuwabuki as well, and to some extent, Saionji. He seems a lot more relaxed at the end of the show, though...not reassuring given who his likely options are by then.)

DorianGray345 wrote:

Neither is SKU, my friend. Neither is SKU. poptart

Honestly, I can't argue with that. poptart

#198 | Back to Top05-19-2015 02:55:33 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

It's way too blurry to be like, "that's definitely on purpose!" but I noticed when looking at one of the collages from the artbooks (in which it looks a lot less blurry), that the shadow cast by the headlights of the cars that circle around Utena and Touga during their last duel looks a lot like the swords.  Pointy and with that sort of semi-wing-ish shape from episode 34.

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Series/Episodes/Apocalypse_Arc/36/Series_ep36_164.jpg?m=1380853098

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Series/Episodes/Apocalypse_Arc/34/Series_ep34_206.jpg?m=1380852884

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#199 | Back to Top05-19-2015 03:12:18 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

satyreyes wrote:

...because the cycle system is designed to do a thing that cannot be done.  Just as no one can force Anthy to be a princess, no one can force Akio to be a prince.  No one else's soul sword, no matter how noble, will place the mantle of Dios on Akio if he doesn't want it.  Change comes from within.  Which is why, in the final analysis, the revolution belongs to Anthy and not to Utena.  The great irony of SKU is that Utena's nobility, which as far as Akio is concerned was a myth in the first place and a distraction in the second place, turned out to be exactly what let Anthy believe in change.  But that's almost an accident, arising from how close Utena and Anthy grow during the series.  Nemuro could have been noble as neon and he wouldn't have been able to revolutionize the world, because it's not his world that needs revolutionizing.

Saito transcribed something Ikuhara said in a chat with fans about what the "theme" of Utena was:

CHIHO-HIME: "It's about changing your personality"...
CHIHO-HIME: "That is not about changing it because you lost fighting society"...
CHIHO-HIME: "But by changing your personality"...
CHIHO-HIME: "Your world view changes."

Basically, Utena doesn't save anyone, but her behavior was able to crack Anthy's cynicism and hopelessness, which allowed Anthy to save herself.  The world is revolutionized, it changes, but only through the subjective perception of people who chose to be inspired by Utena: Anthy, Juri, Miki, Touga, Saionji, Nanami, etc.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#200 | Back to Top05-21-2015 04:37:03 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Saw this on Facebook and it creeped me out, looks like the 100 boys Nemuro torched.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-05-22-00-25-04_zpsib77mgwy_edit_1432247207979.png_zpsurmursp4.jpeg

Board footer