This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top11-11-2006 01:09:37 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Re: Enoki Films dub? Sounds horrid!

Tamago wrote:

Crispin Freeman is a good voice actor and all but when I watched the dub Hellsing soon after I watched the dub Chobits, I kept on thinking that Alcard was Hideki and at any moment he was going to trip over his own ass and scream while holding a pair of schoolgirl panties. emot-tongue

*rofl*

He is a good voice actor... but in my opinion he is just not Alucard. Jouji Nakata IS Alucard. To me Alucard voice has to be like Akio's mature sound and just dead sexy. etc-wankgirletc-wankgirletc-wankgirl Freeman voice lacks the maturity
Also the japanese dub both in the tv series and OVA has Koyasu as Luke!!! You just can't beat that!!! etc-wankgirletc-wankgirletc-wankgirl

I heard Freeman was Touga in Utena, Is that true? if its the is... weird.

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Well, I primarily like the Hellsing dub because it has passable fake accents. They're not as good as the real thing but since I haven't been to England in years I'll take what I can get.

Crispin Freeman is a pretty good actor. Just for fun, here's a clip of him talking about Juri. http://youtube.com/watch?v=kj1Wd_Ymxe0

I guess hanging to much with the Hellsing fandom makes you a purist in many things -.- (Death to the darkhorse translations!!! emot-gonk)

*Goes to watch the video*
"Oh no she isn't, yes she is, oh god she IS!!!"

*rofl*

Last edited by Romanticide (11-11-2006 01:12:53 PM)

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#27 | Back to Top11-11-2006 10:20:02 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Romanticide wrote:

*rofl*
He is a good voice actor... but in my opinion he is just not Alucard. Jouji Nakata IS Alucard. To me Alucard voice has to be like Akio's mature sound and just dead sexy. etc-wankgirletc-wankgirletc-wankgirl Freeman voice lacks the maturity
Also the japanese dub both in the tv series and OVA has Koyasu as Luke!!! You just can't beat that!!! etc-wankgirletc-wankgirletc-wankgirl

I heard Freeman was Touga in Utena, Is that true? if its the is... weird.

I would love it if someone could post up the Utena dub on Youtube or release the Utena DVDs over here in Oz so I could watch SKU on my TV and listen to the dub with the subtitles going so you can compare the original dialogue with the english dub to see how much they changed it.

The other reason is to see if the dub does the right thing by it with the choice of voices and translation changes.

#28 | Back to Top11-14-2006 12:52:03 AM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Oh god not this emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk

Tory (Goki Otori)

lol hurr hurr Tory and Tommy are in the boy's locker room again guys! emot-keke

Also WTF Goki? Akio -> Goki -> GOKU

SUPER SAIYAN AKIO

wait what 'Mike (Akio Otori):'

Wait, Goki is the dean and Akio is Anthy's brother how do they do this what what what

Also Saionji = Kevin Smith emot-gonk

I think the names are the worst.

Sonny (Soji Mikage):
4th grader of high school. He has genius brain and charismatic personality. He plans to get rid of Angie and give the privilege of Rose Bride to Miles.

That is, until he was pumped full of lead at a toll booth. emot-frown

Saionji = KEVIN SMITH?

Suddenly, I have this image in my head of Touga and Saionji as Jay and Silent Bob. emot-gonk

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#29 | Back to Top11-14-2006 01:16:34 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I will grant that Angie, which is short for Angela, is a nice darkly ironic name for Anthy.  In every other way this is Geneva Convention material.

The Shadow Girl dub makes me sad emot-frown

#30 | Back to Top11-14-2006 02:45:22 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

satyreyes wrote:

Is that what those three weird entities at the end are supposed to be? They don't sound like anything I've seen or heard of.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#31 | Back to Top11-14-2006 05:35:21 AM

iruka
Rose Smilee

Every now and then I get the urge to delete these Enoki names from Wikipedia. WTF, they're not really necessary if that version doesn't exist.

Tory (Goki Otori): The dean of the school who watches over Ursula and Angie in the background. Is his true identify "The Seeker of the Armageddon" ?
Kate (Kanae Otori): 3rd grader of High school. Daughter of Goki Tory, the dean of school. She has engaged with Mike and they will get married when they graduate the school.
Mike (Akio Otori): Brother of Angie the Rose Bride. He is friendly and easy-going with others. He like to wear black

Tory/Goki is clearly Kanae's (sick) father? But... emot-gonk

#32 | Back to Top11-14-2006 03:24:43 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

onsenmark wrote:

Saionji = KEVIN SMITH?

Suddenly, I have this image in my head of Touga and Saionji as Jay and Silent Bob. emot-gonk

In my case when I saw the name Kevin Smith, I immediately thought of the guy who played Ares, God of War in Xena.

#33 | Back to Top11-14-2006 03:51:13 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

ShatteredMirror wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Is that what those three weird entities at the end are supposed to be? They don't sound like anything I've seen or heard of.

Yeah, my assumption was also that Silver Mask et al are supposed to be the Shadow Girls. I mean, who else could they be? Suzuki, Tanaka, and Yamada? And the Shadow Girls' actions are bizarre enough that, given a sufficiently ruthless dub director, their plays could be made out to be evil machinations. Of... some kind. emot-confused

Onsenmark wrote:

Saionji = KEVIN SMITH?

Suddenly, I have this image in my head of Touga and Saionji as Jay and Silent Bob.

Sounds like a good idea. Let's move it over to the Dream Cast thread. emot-wink

Last edited by Dallbun (11-14-2006 03:52:11 PM)

#34 | Back to Top11-15-2006 01:19:58 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

iruka wrote:

Every now and then I get the urge to delete these Enoki names from Wikipedia. WTF, they're not really necessary if that version doesn't exist.

Tory (Goki Otori): The dean of the school who watches over Ursula and Angie in the background. Is his true identify "The Seeker of the Armageddon" ?
Kate (Kanae Otori): 3rd grader of High school. Daughter of Goki Tory, the dean of school. She has engaged with Mike and they will get married when they graduate the school.
Mike (Akio Otori): Brother of Angie the Rose Bride. He is friendly and easy-going with others. He like to wear black

Tory/Goki is clearly Kanae's (sick) father? But... emot-gonk

Are they trying to make Kanae's father into Ends of the World? How dare they try to portray Ends of the World as anyone other than Akio! He's not supposed to be princely! He's supposed to be evil and hot!

#35 | Back to Top11-15-2006 07:46:03 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Tamago wrote:

onsenmark wrote:

Saionji = KEVIN SMITH?

In my case when I saw the name Kevin Smith, I immediately thought of the guy who played Ares, God of War in Xena.

Ha, so that's why Kevin Smith sounded a bit familiar to me!

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#36 | Back to Top11-15-2006 05:56:04 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Dallbun wrote:

Sounds like a good idea. Let's move it over to the Dream Cast thread. emot-wink

You know the way I read that I almost launched out of my chair thinking there was also an SKU game on the Dreamcast. emot-redface

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#37 | Back to Top11-15-2006 07:12:54 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Tamago wrote:

onsenmark wrote:

Saionji = KEVIN SMITH?

I *forgot* about him, lol. emot-keke;

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#38 | Back to Top11-15-2006 08:48:26 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Hmm... actually I think I may have figured out whom  Pazolini, Silver Mask, and Lady June could be...

It's possible Pazolini could be "Ends of the World" Akio since apparently he's the leader of the troop of the "Seeker's of Armageddon"

Lady June could be "Sacrifcial Anthy" A fake name, or something like that, like "Mike" would be a fake name for "Pazolini" I wouldn't put it past the,.... now here's where I fear what would have happened if this had succeeded.

Silver Mask: I believe to be Touga... wearing a silver mask, How America would have done this I'm not sure, thogh I fear the result's of what it could have been...

#39 | Back to Top11-16-2006 01:19:35 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

You might be right. It makes absolutely no sense, but given what American dubbing companies did to Haruka and Michiru from Sailor Moon, I wouldn't put it past any of them to do that kind of thing to SKU.

#40 | Back to Top11-16-2006 01:57:23 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Seekers of Armageddon I'm guessing is Akio, so Pazolini would be Touga?

They did refer to Touga being Latin... You'd have to get pretty deep into Sicily to pull off Akio being Italian. Touga however might be northern Italian.

(He's French.)

Also Enoki Films can kiss my ass for totally mistranslating 'sekai no hate'.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#41 | Back to Top11-17-2006 08:07:07 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I'm not sure why but I imagined Akio with a Mauritian(?) accent for some reason, maybe cos of the blend of the French and African accent would sound so sexy. etc-love

Frankly I can imagine Ohtori Academy been set in either France or Wallonia, the latter would add to the mystical quality of the show as the Wallon language is a mix of French and Latin (Latin being the language of ancient magic)

#42 | Back to Top12-01-2006 11:11:58 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

My favorite is Mitsuru's Enoki name - Mitch. Doesn't Mitsuru look like a Mitch to you? school-sherlock

Last edited by A Day Without Me (12-01-2006 11:12:11 PM)

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#43 | Back to Top12-01-2006 11:37:43 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

There are two great ironies in this thread.

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Well, I primarily like the Hellsing dub because it has passable fake accents. They're not as good as the real thing but since I haven't been to England in years I'll take what I can get.

The, uh, "passable fake accents"? Done by real British people. Pretty much everybody in the dub except Crispin Freeman is European, and yes, Alexander Anderson is done by a real Scottish guy.

The whole "Ursula's Kiss" thing?

Done by the Japanese people. Enoki Films is, as the name suggests, Japanese (they have a branch office in the USA, but they're still a Japanese company). That's the Japanese idea of how Utena ought to have been translated, not an American's.

As has been said before, "Nobody, but nobody, can screw up anime like the Japanese can." emot-biggrin

#44 | Back to Top12-01-2006 11:55:11 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Was it real Brits? I'll take your word for it. I just watched it on TV at someone else's house, and nobody ever wanted to watch the credits. But being originally from Europe doesn't mean you'll keep your accent perfect. Hell, Anthony Stewart Head affected an accent to play Giles on Buffy. Yes, he's a real Brit, but that wasn't his real accent.

#45 | Back to Top12-02-2006 03:56:47 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Blade wrote:

The, uh, "passable fake accents"? Done by real British people. Pretty much everybody in the dub except Crispin Freeman is European, and yes, Alexander Anderson is done by a real Scottish guy.

Too bad that Anderson isn't supposed to be a Scottish, but of unknown nationality. You'd expect that everyone'd guess where he's from, when he countinuously uses distinguished accent...

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#46 | Back to Top12-02-2006 04:29:26 AM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Lightice wrote:

Too bad that Anderson isn't supposed to be a Scottish, but of unknown nationality. You'd expect that everyone'd guess where he's from, when he countinuously uses distinguished accent...

I'm aware his nationality isn't specified originally. That isn't the point, though, so much as noting the "passable fake" accents are done by "real" Europeans, and that this was deliberately done for verisimulitude.

The scottish accent has proved popular, though; the manga translation unabashedly stole it.

Last edited by Blade (12-02-2006 04:30:02 AM)

#47 | Back to Top12-02-2006 05:33:58 PM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

Blade wrote:

The scottish accent has proved popular, though; the manga translation unabashedly stole it.

And oh, what fun it is to read through a phonetic estimation of a Scottish accent.

#48 | Back to Top12-02-2006 09:24:53 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Blade wrote:

Darkhorse edition *hate* *stab* *hate* Not only the silly accents are extremely dificult to understand also take away seriousness from the characters emot-gonk

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#49 | Back to Top12-02-2006 10:36:28 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Romanticide wrote:

Blade wrote:

Darkhorse edition *hate* *stab* *hate* Not only the silly accents are extremely dificult to understand also take away seriousness from the characters emot-gonk

To each their own. I find something as ridiculous and cool as giving Alexander Anderson a nonsensical Scottish accent to be perfectly in line with Hellsing. Basically everything in Hellsing is both cool and utterly ridiculous. Except "The Dawn", which is just ridiculous. I'm gonna guess you haven't seen it if you think the characters have any seriousness left to take away. emot-tongue

#50 | Back to Top12-03-2006 04:26:41 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Romanticide wrote:

Alexander Anderson a serious character? Mind boggles...
Seriously, Hellsing manga is supposed to be comical, for good part of it. Still, I agree, reading written accents gets on my nerves.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

Board footer