This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top01-07-2011 03:23:45 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: Painted Ladies: All About Makeup (and Skin Care)

I can has advice tiemz nao?

So.  I went out and bought make-up.  Because I finally have the money for it, because I've put in over 40 hours of call-in work at my greasy, disgusting, sweaty, unflattering-uniformed job this week, because shut up.  I went for the safest basics - foundation, eyeshadow and mascara.  I splurged on a pressed powder kit because instructions and brushes = yay.  But it was expensive enough to make me feel all sorts of guilty and self-hating for buying it, so making sure I get the most of my money is a big goal. I found out my skin tone is fair (yes, this was not known to me, thou may giggle if thou wishes) and wanted to conceal my acne -without completely concealing it, if that makes any sense.  I didn't want anything too thick or heavy, because I'm inexperienced and I didn't want to risk having either that "too clear and smooth you know it's foundation" look nor color lines on my jaw from shitty blending.  Once again, because I want to look professional and I want my make-up routine, when I decide to follow it, to be easy, I'm going for very simple, neutral stuff.  I just want to feel polished looking, basically.

So here I'm wearing Sephora's pressed mineral powder concealer and foundation, Urban Decay's eyeshadow primer and a set of color eyeshadows by Rimmel; A light, shimmery bronze as a liner, pale green on the lid, a very pale shimmery pink on the brow and a medium faintly red brown on the corners.  Mascara is some basic Loreal black mascara I got on sale. 

I tried to give ya'll shots that were clear and better reveal the eyeshadow and with me fiddling with the camera so the pics had the same lighting as the actual room - because this camera does tend to whitewash faces.  None of these have been edited save for cropping and resizing.

http://i52.tinypic.com/j7x15s.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/4fh1g.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2rfrcbb.jpg

Problems: 

A)  I have no clue what lipstick/gloss to wear with this. 

B)  I have no dimension.  I was too afraid to risk buying any blush or bronzer until I saw what the foundation did. 

C)  My eyelashes, while long and naturally dark, are spaced just far enough to give me issues, and I can't ever seem to get their length fully covered without clumping.  I also have the one or two random eyelashes that are perfectly straight wtf.  This is why I have what looks like spider legs sticking out of my eyes.  Would an eyelash curler be worth it?  How often do you have to use them?  How... do you use them? 

D)  My eyes in general are shadow-city.  I have natural dark circles under them, thin skin on the eyelids and large eyes, lashes and a strong brow cast shadows over the eyelids and under the eye.  I also have heavy under eyelids that like to crease up and be all in everyone's face whenever I so much as imagine smiling.  On top of that, you can't really see much of my eyelid while my eyes are open.  All this combines to mean that eyeshadows and combinations look far different on me than I expect them to. 

E)  Any other kind of advice or critique would be adored and cherished.  If you notice something weird about my face or some flaw that can can be handled in some way or whatever, lemme know.  I have pretty thick skin, and honestly you'd be hard pressed to find some flaw of mine that I haven't already dissected and glared at in the mirror.  I just have no clue what to do about them.

EDIT:  Also, how does one determine ones tones/undertones/whathaveyou?  I've heard if you have green veins on your wrists, you're warm, blue mean cool.  But damned if I can tell the shade of the veins on my wrist.  Seriously they look equally blue and green.  I've also heard that if you look good in reds and golds you're warm, silvers and blues mean you are cool.  But I wear all those colors (though the blue I wear royal or midnight, not pale blue) and think I look okay in all of them.  I don't know what I am! emot-gonk

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (01-07-2011 05:28:13 PM)

#27 | Back to Top01-08-2011 12:26:31 AM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

Eyelash curlers really aren't that painful or difficult to use.  My eyelashes naturally curl inwards, so I have to use them on a semi-regular basis.  There will be some tutorials on youtube, but basically just don't press down too hard when you curl your lashes and you'll be golden.  For mascara, I've used a lot of different ones but I like Hard Candy the best, their mascara sticks nicely and never clumps for me.  And of course, use an eyelash primer.  Although Hard Candy tends to be geared to people who are slightly younger, I tend to use it a lot more then my more expensive brands.

I highly recommend Michelle Phan's tutorials on makeup and beauty, just further back into her tutorials to get some nice basics. 

You have gorgeous lips by the way!  Try using something glossy but not too overpowering, I really like Bath and Body Work's line of lipglosses because they're inexpensive and don't hurt your lips.  Mentha mint in violet would probably be good for you, if you want to be subtle just use a little of it.  My favorite is Dark Kiss, it's scented like everything vanilla and sensual <w<

Try blues and purples on the creases of your eyelids, and have fun with it.

I think the best thing you can do for yourself is to relax!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#28 | Back to Top01-08-2011 05:43:57 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Okay, OITL. Let's DO this emot-smile

A. A clear lip gloss is always your friend, easy way to get glam without having to think about it too much. Colors that will work well for you, pinks to draw out color from your face. Red, would be great for a dramatic look. The best thing to do here is to experiment with lip color, you can go into Sephora and try out those shades. Steer clear of neutrals and browns and such. You could try Sephora's Precious Pink lip gloss. It's sparkly and pretty emot-smile I would say get comfortable with lip gloss and lip tints first until you dive into lipstick which requires a more accurate application and the tones and shades for lipsticks are pretty complicated. When you know what kind of shade works best for you, once you get into lipstick you can start off with cheaper brands and then work your way to pricey ones. Good cheapie lipsticks, are Rimmel, Cover Girl and Revlon. You could even use Wet N Wild.

B. Skip the bronzer, it will look unnatural. To give dimmension, I'd say use a blush but nothing that looks like a clown applied it. So remember when you do apply it: smile first and with a light hand with a fluffy blush brush swipe it in the Nike logo(swoosh!) from the apples of your cheeks and outwards. It should look like you just finished running. If it's too intense, tone it down.

C. Mascaras clump, it's all about how  you deal with them. The mascara I use right now is pretty dramatic, it's Maybelline's Falsies and I use about three coats. And start from the outer lashes first and then work your way to the inner corners, so that you have length and volume. To get rid of the clumps, while the lashes are still wet, get a clean spooley brush (eyebrow brush---get the fine tooth comb) and run it through. You have very pretty eyes, so your makeup should just draw all the attention to your eyes. With liquid liner and a steady hand, you could do a 50's winged eyeliner or cat eye. Also, with eyeshadows, I would recommend using a pearly eyeshadow that shimmers under your brow bone to highlight your eyes. For the actual lid, start off with a taupe or any shadow that's 1 or 2 shades darker than your skin tone. This is a safe color choice and just apply it from the lash line to the crease. As for colors, my bff said and I quote "The world is your oyster!"....so just experiment and experiment until you find something that sticks. One color that I know works on everyone is violets, purples and lilacs.

Tutorials are a great idea, as well, as finding a celebrity who'se makeup you like and searching for a tutorial  on Youtube.
Some of my favorites, and some I think you might like:
Dita Von Teese Makeup Look
Dita's make up is very classic, and because you're so fair skinned this is going to look great on you.

Audrey Hepburn

and some other resources:
Blush Tips

The Winged Eye/ Cat Eye Tutorial in 5 steps

if you have other questions, do not hesistate to ask emot-smile

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#29 | Back to Top01-10-2011 01:32:37 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Thanks you guys! 

Unfortunately, eye liner is right out.  I have never been able to apply it with any success -liquid, pencil, cream or otherwise- my hands shake and my eyes are very round and it's damn near impossible for me to navigate around my lashes.  Even when applied by a friend (and well) it doesn't ever look right on me, my eyes just don't have a very slanted or fluid shape to them that eyeliner adds or accents.  I did go out and get some blush per lex's suggestion (and will be finding an eyelash curler per Iris' and some purple eyeshadow per the both of you)- I was leaning towards bronzer because I also feared a clown-application- but I got a lighter pink-peach shade I'll try out (green eyed peep's are good with any shade of pink?).  Some suggest throwing out the application brush that comes with blushes - is this a good idea?  I have a large powder brush I use with my mineral foundation, but is it okay to use it for two things, like, do you have the clean the brush in some special way?

I tried out some lipsticks and glosses at a Clinique, but they all looked awful.  I find it odd you find my lips pretty, Iris, because I despise them.  In that particular light they look all peachy, but usually they are dry and washed out pale or this odd, purple-ish dark liver color of horribleness, and while paler, pink or peachy stuff would look pretty on me, they don't tend to actually appear that color once on my lips.  This especially applies to glosses, and to further worsen me and the gloss situation, the gloss shininess itself just seems to look really weird on my lips around the edges. emot-frown  So the lipstick / gloss thing has been my biggest challenge.  I can't ever seem to find anything I like.

Also, there is a such thing as mascara primer?  I usually wet the tip of my finger and run it through my lashes before applying and it seems to help (it washes off any eyeshadow and separates the lashes) - that's not a big no-no I'm unaware of, right? emot-gonk

And those tutorials are all LUFFS.  Am watching the crap out of them right nao.  You guys are wonderful, thank you so much. etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (01-10-2011 08:49:08 PM)

#30 | Back to Top01-10-2011 07:19:59 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

OITL, I almost never use eyeliner, unless I'm going for an old school winged/catseye look, but I've found that using a black shadow creates a very similar effect and takes a fraction of the time that using a traditional pencil or gel liner does. It's more of a smoky look, but by the same token is a lot more forgiving. As for mascaras, I've found that Rimmel Glam'Eyes is AWESOMESAUCE, although L'Oreal has a two step mascara (Shock Volume or something like that) that's got a primer and a color. I have both of them (and personally prefer the Rimmel), but the real trick to mascara is to sit the tube in the sink and run warm water over it while you do the rest of your makeup. Makes application about a million times smoother and easier.

(p.s. everytime I see that you've posted, I automatically pronounce your screen name so that it rhymes with "toitel")

Last edited by MissMocha (01-11-2011 05:46:19 AM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#31 | Back to Top01-11-2011 04:54:12 AM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

You can use the mineral brush for your blush, and if you're worried about germs...washing it with soap and water (I use shampoo) but just make sure to apply the blush after the foundation (as you already know) and do it before you add the rest of the makeup. That way you can gage how much more or less you want to add.  I think the pinkish peach shade will work out okay. If anything you don't want anything that has like brownish tones to it.

What a bummer that you're having that much trouble with lip gloss! emot-frown you might have to wear matte lipstick, or a lip stain. When I apply lip gloss, I actually apply chapstick or whatever first, let it sit for about five minutes and then apply the lip gloss and actually do a 'blot' to remove excess. You could try that but I'll keep invesitgating other methods emot-smile

I have not heard of mascara primer, it would be great if there was one! emot-smile But if that's what works for you, I say no harm no foul.

And mocha, that is pretty rad with the eyeshadow, I find myself having to use liquid and shadow to make the liner stay put. It's also a bit more difficult for me to get a precise line with eyeshadow, that is something I will have to work on.

Last edited by lex (01-11-2011 04:54:40 AM)

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#32 | Back to Top01-12-2011 08:13:11 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Thank you for the advise Lex I will think about getting the primer(I wear make-up for special occasions only); and I shall post the photos I did not delete in IFD.

Side note Light you and you make-up look very nice and natural.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#33 | Back to Top03-11-2011 12:11:51 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

So guys, look at this neato thang!

http://f.chtah.com/i/18/979109934/20110304_gwp_05.jpg

Basically, you spend over 21.50 at a participating Clinique store (I'm not sure if it is just at Dillard's locations or online as well) and it very, very easy to spend over 20 bucks on Clinique products, and you get this free make-up tote filled with freebies of awesome.  (A 60.00 value)

*Tote
*Eyeshadow trio -and looky, it comes with a regular and brush applicator
*High Impact black mascara (Pixiwoo girls seems to adore it)
*Lip gloss
*Lip Stick
*7 Day Scrub Cream, rinse off formula
*Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion

I got a similar tote in January, with a cleansing cream, eye de-puffer ointment, retractable eyeliner pencil in brown, blush, lipstick and lash-doubling black mascara (this stuff is wonderful, I have long, wanky eyelashes and it thinly coats each one with perfect, rich color, no clumping and good shape) in a more square, purple and pink tote.  Let me just say -they are amazing samples.  Not a single one of those products has run out since I got them, and I use them (except for the blush, lipstick and eye pencil, which are all regular sized products, which I wear less often because they are more dramatic) all the time - that little squidge of cream cleanser is only half-empty!  And it makes my combination skin vurrah happy.  etc-love  I've never actually had my skin feel prettier after cleansing it, just cleaner -this stuff hydrates the dry areas of my face while drying up the oily, and just leaves everything softer and more awake looking.  I WOULD MARRY THIS STUFF.

So yes.  Much anticipation and want for this tote as well.  Not sure which color set I should go with.  I've tried the green trio on a Rimmel set (which sucked -the pigmentation was awful, and I later found out Rimmel is not so nice with the animal testing) which disappointed me, but I like that lighter shade of gloss and have been told that such a color palette goes well with green eyes - I just don't want to be disappointed again -with the color, not quality - I rather adore Clinique's products, if that's not obvious.  The purple set is a safer bet, but a lot of the colors I am used to wearing have pink, magenta or red undertones/shades to them, and I would like to try something a bit different.  Plus that cool-toned lip gloss sets me off a bit. :/

Also, Hard Candy eyeshadow SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKSSSSS.  But its lip gloss (sugar rose) is effing amazing and cheap.

DIAF Hard Candy eyeshadow.

**Haha, don't care so much about what I will be buying from Clinique (prolly a liquid foundation, concealer, brush, finishing powder or toner) JUST SO LONG AS I GET MY MITTS ON THIS.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (03-11-2011 05:13:16 PM)

#34 | Back to Top03-17-2011 03:22:35 PM

Fruti
New Student

O: everyone looks so pretty there

#35 | Back to Top03-29-2011 02:30:54 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

http://www.sleekmakeup.com/en/products/ … e-218.aspx
http://www.sleekmakeup.com/en/products/ … e-219.aspx
http://www.sleekmakeup.com/en/products/ … tte-8.aspx
http://www.sleekmakeup.com/en/products/ … e-221.aspx

I can has?

Pweeeeeeeeese?

Edit:  Also, linkage to this new channel on youtube.  I like Michelle Phan and pixiewoo alright, but to be honest they already have very few flaws to their faces -no acne, more even skin tone, angular cheeks, defined jawlines, oval shaped faces, etc.  Thing is, if I looked like any of these women I wouldn't bother with make-up.  This girl has a rounder face shape (like me!), acne (like me!) and very pale skin (like me!) so I'm finding her advice is lot more usable, and she tends to use more affordable products.  Give her a look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c5d7mTR … ture=feedu

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (03-31-2011 10:50:43 PM)

#36 | Back to Top04-16-2011 03:43:41 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Bought three Bottom Lash Mascaras (which are win based on CUTENESS alone) from Clinique for my Mother and two sisters for Mother's Day, and got a free make-up bag (with an additional travel bag inside) of samples, which I'm giving to my mom because she wanted one the last time they had a promotion and missed out, and I had no money at the time to get her a, err, "not birthday" present.  Then the sales lady sweet talked me into another purchase, since I've been looking for a finishing powder to go with my liquid foundation when I decide to wear it versus my mineral pressed powder foundation, and to generally just matte any shininess on my face as the day wears on.  Taco Bell employee, guys.  Shiny happens.  And my mineral stuff, while nice, oxidizes just a tad with longer wear, risking orange-face, white-neck territory, and the finishing powder really helps tell that shit to knock it the fuck off.

She was all, just get this and one other thing, and I'll give you another free gift.  And I was all, "But that's not allowed!"  And she was all, "Screw the rules, I work on commission!"   

So I got my powder (which I am considering proposing to) and bought my mom some color surge super shimmer eyeshadow in this gorgeous, deep, pearly teal color (aptly named peacock) because my mommie has gorgeous skin (harkens back to her Indian heritage whereas mine, uh, doesn't) with dark hair and brown eyes -she looks amazing in silver and adores turquoise and other such colors and has tons of jewelry and clothing that match, and because she mentioned wanting something more bold to wear.  If I can, I'd like to get her a sample of their perfume since she liked it so much (and because their samples go a long way and the perfume is expensive) and an eyeshadow brush.  Because eyeshadow brushes are wonderful and I never knew how wonderful because no one ever told me how a tiny brush you rub on your eyes could be so wonderful.

Anyhoo.  Deciding on what to do with the additional sample bag [One big and one small tote, a combination lipstick and gloss, lash doubling mascara, two color eyeshadow and blush palette, cream cleaner and liquid make-up remover].  If I give it to one sister the other might feel left out.  Or I could go back and buy a bit more from Clinique so that I have one for each of them.  Or I could I give the bag to my friend Shandon whose birthday I wasn't able to get a gift for, but really I've been wanting to get her Daria: The complete series, which is honestly a better and more personal gift.

Or I could just be greedy and keep it myself because KIT, SO CUTE and my own LD mascara is running dry and I had to sell my PSP and KH game and bunch of my anime and dvd's just to get them their gifts (though, being so easily convinced to buy additional make-up sorta cancels that martyr story out).

Oh man.  Make-up counter ladies love me.  I guess it's because I look so gullible?  Because I can be, if in the right mood.  Otherwise I'm just there to lead you on and take the samples.  All the samples. 

Also, I found what appear to be MAC eyeshadows for sale on ebay for like, 4$ a piece with free shipping as well, from a seller in China, who has lots of sales and a positive rating.  Should risk it?  http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-1-5g-Beautiful- … 1c1a1c3d81

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (04-16-2011 03:47:17 PM)

#37 | Back to Top04-20-2011 03:56:51 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Onlyinthislight, you mentioned having problems with acne(even though the pictures of you look awesome, but whatevs). The best thing I've found--and I've used a LOT of products, had to go on Accutane eventually--is 1) a bottle of mint face mask, 2) Pretty Feet and Hands. The mint face mask shrinks your pores and draws out the impurities, so use it when you feel you're getting sort of gross. However, like a lot of products, it can also dry your skin, and that can make it impossible to put on powder and not have it look like crap. The product Pretty Feet and Hands will shuck dry skin right. the. hell. off. It can be kind of hard to find sometimes, so I recommend going to their website to look up who carries it near you. It says that you should only use it on your feet and hands, but I've been using in on my face for years and it's never done any harm. Just for people who are dumb with it, I guess. It's kind of gross the first time you use it because you will seriously be full of all these gross skin flakes, but it's so worth it to just immediately solve the problem rather than moisturizing and just having dead skin on top of oily skin.

Hat Mafia Member

#38 | Back to Top04-20-2011 07:52:26 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I kept the extra goodie bag.  I am a bad person.  school-devil  A bad person with A GOODIE BAG.

I've been thinking of a scrub like that Frau, one that takes off the dead skin instead of just 'exfoliating.'  Right now I'm metering out a sample of 7-Day scrub, which does just that, and so far it's been lovely.  I only use it when I shower that way my skin has time to heal (MUST PROTECT THE HORNEY LAYER) between scrubs, and a smoother cream wash in the morning and evenings.  When those run out I'll be shopping around again -but really I also have to wait for my PMS/period to end, since when it's in full swing there isn't any product whats on this here planet that can put a dent in my breakout.  I've also found that using a brush to apply moisturizer has been doing wonders -less acne on my face (from applying with fingers) and less product being wasted by being absorbed into cotton balls.  Plus, my Ecotools brush FAILS at putting on foundation anyway (scratches my face, bristles to short to bend without flicking, bristles separate/clump and cause streaking, absorbs my foundation too much.)

Speaking of which, I just ordered a set of Real Techniques (aka the brand the girl from Pixiewoo designed) brushes off of Ultra.com - 15 dollars for a professional brush set, plus 3.50 off with their coupon, and right now if you buy one Real Techniques product, you get a second for half off.  I got the travel set so I would have a purdy case, a liquid foundation brush, a multipurpose shadow brush and powder brush.

[You don't see my acne in those photos because I either 'shop it, am wearing make-up or the light in the bathroom is so harsh it erases the details.  In truth, my skin is really, really horrible.  I have at least 5 zits and 20 miscellaneous red spots and acne scars on my face at any one time, all over my face, and every millimeter of my nose is blackhead city.  My chin and cheeks are red, my under eyes dark and yellow, my eyelids veiny and red, and the rest of my skin sheet white.  Blarg.]

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (01-10-2012 04:59:55 AM)

#39 | Back to Top04-24-2011 09:06:47 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

SO my skin has been freaking out with bumps and oil production for NO FUCKING REASON, especially on my forehead and cheeks. I don't know what to do!

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#40 | Back to Top04-24-2011 11:23:35 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Could be a hormonal thing? The weather is changing too. For oily skin I make lemon water and wash my face with that. Use cold water if you do use it. It's very refreshing and really works after a few days.

I hope it goes away quickly!

Last edited by chrisb (04-24-2011 11:32:41 PM)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#41 | Back to Top04-25-2011 08:16:17 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Mine has been as well - I mean, the acne is PMS, but multiple rainy days in a row tend to make my usually combination (oily t-zone, dry cheeks and neck) skin go into oil overdrive -even my hair needs to be washed once a day.  It happens to my sisters as well.  As far as scraping the oil off goes, if you've got a lot of it and your skin can handle it, use an astringent for a day or two (making sure you moisturize afterwards, otherwise your skin will overproduce more oil to compensate).  As far as cleansers go switch to a scrub or wash -not a cream cleanser and use lukewarm water -too hot and it dries out your skin, too cold and it shock-shrinks your pores, which you DON'T want when cleansing. 

Also?  In the morning, do your skincare routine in the shower -the steam opens up your pores, and if you shower at night versus in the day, turn your shower on anyway during your skincare (not make-up!) routine so you can get a little sauna action going on. 

I'm thinking of trying a gluten-free diet for a week or two, since my mother looked at the acne on my back (which I have always struggled with) and told me it didn't look like acne, but an allergic reaction.  My older sister has the same skin problems as me, and most of hers went away when she stopped eating gluten (she's intolerant).

#42 | Back to Top04-26-2011 05:41:45 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

use lukewarm water -too hot and it dries out your skin, too cold and it shock-shrinks your pores, which you DON'T want when cleansing.

I've heard that you're supposed to start off with lukewarm water to open the pores but to always finish with cold water to close them.

#43 | Back to Top04-26-2011 08:04:20 PM

Stephen
Rose Bride

Stand back, we're about to do science.

The pores thing is actually a bit of an urban myth, as I understand it. The pores themselves have no muscle action in them, so they don't "open" or "close" as such. What warm and cold environments will do however is cause local vasodilation and vasoconstriction, which in turn shifts the cutaneous layers around a bit. What does this mean for pores? Well, not too much, as dermatologists understand it.

The advice is still sound though (kinda), because of the temperature's other functions. Shock shrinkage is definitely still a problem for particularly cold water, but it's the whole upper cutaneous layers which do it, giving you that "tightening" feeling if you wash with particularly cold water. Much like really hot water, this just gives your skin a real hard time as the action is pretty abrasive. Similiarly, the warm water will trigger your natural skin cooling reaction, the pushing out of stored secretions from sweat and sebaceous glands. If you have particularly "oily skin" (over-produce sebum), pulling this away without stripping all the other skin goodies you'll naturally have is obviously gonna help your skin appearance, as you'll just go on to produce and secrete later in the day. Don't get prone to particularly oily skin during the day? Lucky you, beyond ex-foliating and typical cleaning you can leave your skin to do it's own thing.

Why did I just fret over whether the pores themselves open/close, if it's all the same advice in the end? Well, understanding how your skin works is pretty key to getting it to look how you'd like. It also helps you stop wasting time on voodoo treatments.

The warm / cold combo is an interesting one. Aside from giving you a sensation of "clean" by tightening up the upper cutaneous layers, I can't quite work out the purpose of finishing up with a cold wash. Your pores will largely be in whatever state of opened / closed the surrounding skin happens to push / pull them in. I'm not going to straight up rule this out as pointless, because I'm hardly an expert. If anyone knows the dermatological rationale for this bit of advice, that would be grand I think.

This is the situation, as best I understand it.

#44 | Back to Top04-27-2011 12:18:10 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

That's interesting, thanks for the information! I get acne pretty easily so I'm very interested in skin care for being a guy. After doing a little research of my own it turns out cold water doesn't remove the sebum and dirt from your face as well as warm water. One of those obvious things you don't really think about (at least I didn't emot-redface)

This guys has an interesting take on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEGFMM_Psq4

Last edited by chrisb (04-27-2011 12:29:20 AM)

#45 | Back to Top04-27-2011 09:57:34 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Guys.

We need to create a wearable make-up look inspired by Jareth.

Now.

[Holy shit, I would love to do this, the only stitch would be a brow-kit, which are expensive]

#46 | Back to Top09-23-2012 08:41:17 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Necroooooooo... I need help from some of our beauty gurus :eyes raven and OitL:

I've just about come to terms with the fact that my makeup stash has been lost in the move, aside from one very small Two Faced palette. So I'm going to have to rebuy most everything, and while I'm probably going to splurge on one or two special items -a couple Sugarpill rounds, probs- I think that I want to go for one of those big palettes I often see MUAs use. Does anyone have a recommendation on where to get those that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg?

Or actually, any recommendations. Most of my stash was mid-range purchases from over the years, Sephora, Ulta, drugstores, etc. The only loyalties I really have are my Rimmel mascara and kohl pencil.

Last edited by MissMocha (09-23-2012 08:42:41 PM)

#47 | Back to Top09-23-2012 08:57:29 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

If you're just absolutely itching for one of those huge palettes right NOW, go to Coastal Scents. All of the people that sell them get them from the same wholesaler, though, so you just have to hunt down the cheapest one. I think CS is it right now. I linked you directly to the eye palettes, but I recommend going through the whole site.

As for general recommendations, E.L.F. and Wet-n-Wild are super good and super cheap. E.L.F. has stuff starting at $1, including their brushes. WnW has really stepped up their game in the last few years, and they're worth a look.

Oh, and Urban Decay is having a super sale if you didn't see my Tumblr post about it. I think they're reformulating, so a lot of stuff is being discontinued to bring out the new batches.

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (09-23-2012 09:05:30 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#48 | Back to Top09-23-2012 09:02:45 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

oh my god.

etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Raven, you're fucking amazing.

#49 | Back to Top09-24-2012 12:39:40 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

http://www.lecosmetique.com/default.asp :  has a lot of MUA supplies and large palettes of eyeshadow, concealer, you name it, including make-up palettes you can use to fill with de-potted products you already own. 

I second Urban Decay, they have a variety of shadows going on clearance and a good rap.  Wet N Wild in particular makes AMAZING nail polishes -bubble-free and chip resistant in chic colors- for as little as 99 cents.  If you want high quality brushes, Real Techniques brushes by the Pixiwoo gals are comparable to MAC in quality.  Synthetic, soft, sturdy and brilliantly designed, and you can get sets of them as cheap as 15.00, typically on Ulta.  ELF's angled eyeliner brush has yet to shed on me for its puny pricetag.  If you do go for a brand like Coastal Scents make sure to invest in a good shadow brush and primer to offset their less than stellar wear and to reduce fallout.  Generally, though, their pigmentation is great. 

If you check your local Sephora, they may also be clearing out their Cargo -an amazing brand for blushes and bronzers- at ridiculous prices, around 40 percent off, since I hear they will soon stop carrying them (rumor has it).

Just make sure you put your money into the products that last, like foundation, blushes, bronzers, eyeshadows and brushes, where you can justify the wad of cash spent because they can last up to a year.  Stuff with shorter shelf lives, like glosses, lipsticks and especially mascara can be bought on the cheap and expensive buys saved for special treats.  Revlon's Lip Butters are a super cheap, well pigmented and versatile choice for lippies.  They go on smooth and moisturizing, but with only the slightest of glossiness.

Says the girl that just splurged on a 19.00 tube of Tarte's Lights, Camera, Lashes! mascara.  IT'S SO GOOD, BRO.  My lashes are long and naturally tangled, and this is a dry formula that separates.... the sparse looking brush with it's thin but sturdy and medium length um, BRUSH THINGS, is actually ingenious.  They wedge right in between every lash without being so long or bulky that they get mascara on my eyelids or push my lashes back against my lids.  etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (09-24-2012 07:30:59 PM)

#50 | Back to Top09-24-2012 08:22:43 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I should have said thank you earlier, but I was too busy window shopping, lol.

I don't generally wear blushes or bronzers because my skin has a lot of red undertones -I've never yet come across a foundation that obscures it. :/ I actually gave up on foundation a while back, because I have several super obvious moles and birthmarks on my face, and it always looks stupid when I put foundation over them. Sigh. :/

I'm definitely going to be investing in a few things from the Urban Decay sale (assuming I have money before it ends, hooray rent and GIANT power bill :/ ), and I found plenty I liked at LeCosmetique. Have you tried the OCC Lip Tars? I've seen some great LOTD's that have used them, but I'm a little unsure of a face product that markets itself as "tar" y'know?

Board footer