This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top03-05-2007 09:34:27 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Movies

Tamago wrote:

QueerEyeAkio.jpg

They're all in suits, which makes that picture misleading. I've watched enough of the show to decide that fashion guy is overall clinically retarded and that actually, movie Akio would do better.

The stereotype that all gay men know how to dress is a filthy, filthy lie. Only the majority of them do. emot-mad

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#77 | Back to Top03-05-2007 09:47:02 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I made my friend watch the Utena movie. She was very confused about it, yay!

The last movie I watched was "Eraserhead". I don't think I've seen anything that disturbing in a long time. It had lots of wtf symbolism, darkness, Silent Hillish sound effects and atmosphere and of course it messed with your mind way too much. If it hadn't been so dark and disturbing I would attempt to interprete it 'cause it seemed quite interesting, but I don't think I even want to watch it again. emot-gonk

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#78 | Back to Top03-11-2007 11:49:00 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I saw Zodiac last night. I thought it was great, but I can see how some people might not like it as much. Some little details urked me slightly. I think for a horror movie, it's a flop, but for suspense, A+

I guess it all depends on what you like though.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#79 | Back to Top03-11-2007 12:55:19 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

I really want to see Zodiac. The history geek in me wants to see it because it's a bit of San Francisco lore and it has the potential to be at least moderately creepy if done correctly.

I saw 300 yesterday. It was pretty.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#80 | Back to Top03-11-2007 01:01:50 PM

dollface
Website

Then I think the geek in you would like Zodiac. That's why I thought some people wouldn't like it: it's less Hollywood-blockbuster-creepy-ect and more...historically accurate. From what I could see, they really didn't twist around much of anything to make it 'scarier'. Perhaps one or two scenes, but it stayed true to the Zodiac killer almost entirely.

#81 | Back to Top03-11-2007 05:18:12 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I saw Mirrormask last night. It was wonderful. I really enjoyed it. etc-love

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#82 | Back to Top03-11-2007 11:34:39 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

belladonna wrote:

Mirrormask... may I ask what it's about?

#83 | Back to Top03-11-2007 11:54:37 PM

Almaser
Qualified Duellist

Giovanna wrote:

Tamago wrote:

QueerEyeAkio.jpg

They're all in suits, which makes that picture misleading. I've watched enough of the show to decide that fashion guy is overall clinically retarded and that actually, movie Akio would do better.

The stereotype that all gay men know how to dress is a filthy, filthy lie. Only the majority of them do. emot-mad

Someone's obviously never been to a Brisbane gay bar. The poor taste of gay Australians is enough to make you vomit! emot-gonk

#84 | Back to Top03-13-2007 10:37:39 AM

Syuria
Touga Topper
Website

It's incredibly shameful... I only just got around to watching Wayne's World last Sunday. emot-redface It was like a religious experience of some sort! Kinda like how I felt after discovering The Mighty Boosh. emot-dance I've been going around the house shouting "denied!" at every possible moment. I partly blame my two friends who are dressing up as Wayne and Garth to go clubbing tomorrow. school-devil

#85 | Back to Top03-13-2007 01:24:28 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Hiraku wrote:

belladonna wrote:

Mirrormask... may I ask what it's about?

Mirrormask is this wonderful film written by Neil Gaiman and directed by Dave McKean, Neil's often partner in crime. It's a kind of fantasy story with a feel slightly similar of Labyrinth or the Dark Crystal, and is also by the Jim Henson corporation. The basic plot is that a girl who preforms in the circus with her family wants to "run away to real life". She doesn't want to be a circus performer anymore. But her mother gets ill, and soon she finds herself in a strange fantasy world which is in peril, and she must find something called the "Mirrormask" to save it. What I enjoy about this movie is the way Gaiman has taken a basic fairytale plot and worked it in a new way, so that things are fresh and new feeling. The visuals, as always with Gaiman's works, are amazing. I recommend this movie. etc-love

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#86 | Back to Top03-13-2007 07:06:43 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

Yasha wrote:

This forum has the best taste in movies ever.

I don't know if this one has been mentioned yet, but Pi is an absolutely awesome movie, as is Ichi the Killer. And don't forget The Happiness of the Katakuris.

EEEE! I love you I love you I love you!  I knew someone else besides me had to like asian horror on this forum.  I wasn't as big of af an of Ichi the killer, extreme gore can get to me, but Happiness of the Katakuris was really funny.  "My uvula!"
My asian horror favorites:

Marebito is absolutely amazing.  There are not enough words to discribe it's awsomeness.  It's about fear, and the workings of fear, the hollow earth theory, de-evolution, I've never been so blown away by a movie as this.   Also, if you do see it, re-watch the ending thirty seconds at least three times, and focus on her eyes.  You'll see why.
Suicide Club is a strangely life-affirming movie, and very mind-trip.  Genises is unbelievably sexy and scary, and the movie has some of the best quotes I've ever heard.
A Snake of June is very good as well, it explores sexuality.  If you know anyone who is having problems getting a girl, recomend this movie.  It'll help explain the psychology of female sexuality very well.
Battle Royale is also amazing, it really reminded me of Fight Club in some ways.
Infection scared me so badly, I couldn't sleep at night, and it takes alot for a movie to scare me.  It's one of those movies that seeps into your head.

Maarika wrote:

The last movie I watched was "Eraserhead". I don't think I've seen anything that disturbing in a long time. It had lots of wtf symbolism, darkness, Silent Hillish sound effects and atmosphere and of course it messed with your mind way too much. If it hadn't been so dark and disturbing I would attempt to interprete it 'cause it seemed quite interesting, but I don't think I even want to watch it again. emot-gonk

Hehe, I agree.  Eraserhead is amazing, but so hard to watch... eeegh.  The sound of that baby screeming still pops into my head.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#87 | Back to Top03-14-2007 12:34:35 AM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

300 ROCKED MY WORLD LAST NIGHT

#88 | Back to Top03-14-2007 02:24:19 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Emiemipoemi wrote:

Seconded. I kept forgetting to post this because I want to see it again. Oh god, that movie is pure etc-wankgirl

Although surprisingly, the leather hot pants don't do it for me at all. I wasn't all that turned on by all the manly chests, either... mostly what I thought about that was how beautiful they were in an artistic sense, and how an athlete's body in motion is a wonderful thing to watch.

What I wasn't surprised by is that critics are shitting all over 300 for no reason. It's a myth, people. It's not fact, it's not historical, it's a reinterpretation of history into myth, the same way scholars believed that the myths about the Olympic pantheon were once based on historical fact. The story is only as bare as any myth is at its basis, the battles are only as exaggerated as any mythic battle, the creatures are only as fantastic as any mythical creature, and the themes are just as powerful and touching as myths all through the ages.

Those battles, though. Wow. I felt the need to kick some ass after seeing that. school-chef

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#89 | Back to Top03-14-2007 02:57:17 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Yasha wrote:

What I wasn't surprised by is that critics are shitting all over 300 for no reason. It's a myth, people. It's not fact, it's not historical, it's a reinterpretation of history into myth, the same way scholars believed that the myths about the Olympic pantheon were once based on historical fact. The story is only as bare as any myth is at its basis, the battles are only as exaggerated as any mythic battle, the creatures are only as fantastic as any mythical creature, and the themes are just as powerful and touching as myths all through the ages.

Is Frank Miller who has said many times they are not historic spartans but "HIS SPARTANS". :p

*sniff* It's not been shown in Mexico yet... to more weeks more to go -.-

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#90 | Back to Top03-14-2007 03:36:04 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Romanticide wrote:

Is Frank Miller who has said many times they are not historic spartans but "HIS SPARTANS". :p

EXACTLY. I didn't know he had said that, but that's exactly it. He took the basis of what made a Spartan into a Spartan and cut away all of the unnecessary stuff-- the stuff that made them historical figures. The essence that made them different from anything else, that's what he kept. And now people are whining because it's not historically accurate and Xerxes is a club fag and shit like that. They totally missed the point.

You will love it. It's awesome. etc-love

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#91 | Back to Top03-14-2007 09:05:33 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Yasha wrote:

Romanticide wrote:

EXACTLY. I didn't know he had said that, but that's exactly it. He took the basis of what made a Spartan into a Spartan and cut away all of the unnecessary stuff-- the stuff that made them historical figures. The essence that made them different from anything else, that's what he kept. And now people are whining because it's not historically accurate and Xerxes is a club fag and shit like that. They totally missed the point.

You will love it. It's awesome. etc-love

I am actually resisting the temptation of reading the comic first, I know is basically the same thing but I preffer to see it in movement first.

And I wished they started filming Sin city 2: a dame to kill -.-

#92 | Back to Top03-16-2007 10:04:00 PM

Undead Princess
Saionji Slapper
Website

belladonna wrote:

I liked it a lot, but at the same time, I feel like I would have liked it a whole lot better if it actually had some Jim Henson muppets instead of CGI... kind of defeats the purpose of using the Henson Company, you know?
It's also certainly no Labyrinth or even Pan's Labyrinth, but I still liked it.

300 SEVERELY ruled.
If you're wondering by what I mean by 'severely,' I mean that I exited the theater fully content like I haven't been in a long time. I haven't seen a movie so good in a long time, and I think I can honestly say I can't think of anything I didn't like about the movie.

Gerard Butler already rocked my socks as Phantom of the Opera, but now, as Leonidas... woof

Who's looking forward to seeing Grindhouse? I etc-love Rodriguez and Tarantino stuff.

#93 | Back to Top03-24-2007 05:18:52 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

I found the Street fighter parody made by Jackie Chan1!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYweptE-dl0

#94 | Back to Top03-25-2007 10:18:26 AM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

dollface wrote:

Anyway, next on my list to see is Grindhouse. It might possibly be the most pointless movie to come out in years. Just like pretty much all of Tarantino's movies, it does everything just for cheap shock value and gore. I really do love Tarantino.

To me Tarantino movies are the most pointless fun ever!!! school-devil

#95 | Back to Top03-28-2007 07:57:07 PM

dollface
Website

Any SAW fans here? emot-redface

Last edited by dollface (10-30-2008 02:09:43 PM)

#96 | Back to Top03-29-2007 09:31:08 AM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

Just saw Zodiac, flippin' creepy. The movie feels like years instead of hours. The soundtrack is awesome. Jake Gyllenhaal superb acting. All around done right. emot-dance

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#97 | Back to Top03-29-2007 02:21:32 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

Clarice wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

]Oh, and Lady Nilamarthiel, etc-love etc-love etc-love Sense and Sensibility etc-love etc-love etc-love. I felt so bad for Rickman's character. emot-gonk

etc-loveetc-loveetc-love Alan Rickman etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

I AM AN ALAN RICKMAN WHORE OMG. etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love

And yes, I felt bad for him, too. And he did amazing. I could see the pain there and it made my heart shatter.

I remember him in Titus... I really loved that movie etc-love

#98 | Back to Top03-30-2007 04:46:29 PM

Kealdrea
Anthy Assailer

I haven't been to the movies in one and a half years. emot-gonk

It's anime, but my favorite movie at the moment is AIR the movie. ^-^

Jitsu wa hitode desu...

#99 | Back to Top03-30-2007 05:09:42 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Yasha wrote:

Emiemipoemi wrote:

Seconded. I kept forgetting to post this because I want to see it again. Oh god, that movie is pure etc-wankgirl

Quoted for undeniable truth. I finally saw it today, after trying to catch a matinée showing all week.

Yasha wrote:

Although surprisingly, the leather hot pants don't do it for me at all.

Those were beyond hot pants. Those were man-panties. emot-biggrin

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#100 | Back to Top03-31-2007 03:48:08 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

You know, I'm kinda of excited about Sweeny Todd, but I just found out Sascha Baron Cohen is in it. emot-gonk

Alan Rickman is, too, which as Epi put it ..."pantalones crema"

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

Board footer