This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-14-2011 03:56:32 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Human genetic engineering, for or against?

I'm for it. I think anyone who's against it is a whiny untermensch.

#2 | Back to Top08-14-2011 08:02:24 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Re: Human genetic engineering, for or against?

There are some obvious advantages to it. However, how long before it's used by people in the wrong hands to, say, wipe out homosexuality? I'm sure that's in our genetics. Or perhaps to eliminate mental disorders? That sounds good, but some of the best creative minds in our history were half insane.

Humanity, as we sit currently, cannot handle that technology. As we are, it would never be used properly, if there even is a proper on a subject matter like this.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#3 | Back to Top08-14-2011 08:30:18 PM

dirufacade
Ballgoer
Website

I'm only in favor of it if it leads to me & a select few of my homeys becoming harder, better, faster and stronger but then the technology is destroyed.  I think it's morally wrong for people outside of my circle to be superpowered.

~ diru

Don't talk shit. One does not hear about Abraxas by accident.

#4 | Back to Top08-14-2011 08:36:41 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Aine Silveria wrote:

There are some obvious advantages to it. However, how long before it's used by people in the wrong hands to, say, wipe out homosexuality? I'm sure that's in our genetics. Or perhaps to eliminate mental disorders? That sounds good, but some of the best creative minds in our history were half insane.

Humanity, as we sit currently, cannot handle that technology. As we are, it would never be used properly, if there even is a proper on a subject matter like this.

Agreed.  The people who would fund and create such technology would be the powerful (because they would be the ones with the means), who would of course use it to remain in power, not truly help society.

Not that I would take issue with all humans being genetically engineered to say, resist many diseases and majorly disabling disorders and have cat ears.

Also, Overlord are you just a troll?  Because seriously, you sound like a troll.  Granted, this could just be a cultural barrier or a lack of experience on my part.  Just some of things you say, out of nowhere, make me curious.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (08-14-2011 08:41:55 PM)

#5 | Back to Top08-15-2011 12:00:37 AM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Why do you think I'm a troll? I'm a troll in general, but not here in particular.

And I think "hackers" will appropriate this technology fairly quickly no matter where it comes from.

#6 | Back to Top08-15-2011 08:56:06 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I think she's saying that because you tend to bring up controversial subjects in a way that would not encourage a dialogue in most forums.

Lucky for us, we're pretty hard to troll, anyway. emot-wink

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top08-15-2011 11:10:14 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Not that I would take issue with all humans being genetically engineered to say, resist many diseases and majorly disabling disorders and have cat ears.

You almost slipped the cat ears past me.  emot-biggrin

I tend to agree with others that genetic engineering of humans is a technology that people at large are probably not ready for yet, one that would be quite destructive if used irresponsibly; I think of the atomic bomb.  If the technology is available only to the rich, it would strengthen class divisions.  If it's available to everyone, that's even worse: it's too easy to imagine a conformist dystopia -- think Gattaca, The Giver, Brave New World -- where genetic engineering results in broad physical, intellectual, and cultural uniformity.  That's bad for the human race as a whole, which needs diversity to thrive, and especially bad for anyone who doesn't fit in.  If you think discrimination is bad now, wait till 90% of the population is white, blond, beautiful, brilliant, straight, and psychologically normal in every way.  Even if you're lucky enough to be part of the genetically engineered majority, what would be the point of friendships in a world like that?  Or of art?  Too much of what's beautiful about humanity comes from our differences -- our wild, uncontrolled, sometimes tragic differences -- for me to think that genetic engineering would be good for the human race's soul.

But I don't think what I or anyone else thinks about genetic engineering is likely to influence what actually happens.  Once the technology appears, it will be used how it will be used.  Genetically engineered babies are part of a prisoner's dilemma that it would take a hell of a social contract to resolve.  (If you don't genetically engineer your babies, I should engineer mine in order to have an advantage; and if you do genetically engineer your babies, I would be a fool not to do the same.)  Our only defense, for now, is that the technology isn't here yet and doesn't look to be on its way soon.

#8 | Back to Top08-15-2011 02:52:31 PM

artemis88
Mikage Mistruster

against.

#9 | Back to Top08-15-2011 03:56:04 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

I'd be worried about the diversity of our species as a human race.  There's a lot about genetics that we fully don't know, and some genetic traits are stronger against disease then others.  An example would be sickle cell anemia has proven to have an immunity on malaria.  What if a new disease comes creeping along, and we're all supposed to be the our Übermensch selves?  Whoops, goodbye most of the human race. 

I don't claim to be a genetics genius or anything like that, but my basic knowledge tells me this is a bad idea.  Homogenization of any species is a bad thing.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#10 | Back to Top08-15-2011 08:04:55 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

True, monoculture is terrible, I definitely acknowledge that.

#11 | Back to Top08-15-2011 09:38:13 PM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

I think your subject header puts it forward too simply: in what context? What aspect of human genetic engineering? What uses are you hoping it would have?

#12 | Back to Top08-16-2011 08:30:03 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I have a feeling that human genetic engineering may happen eventually, whether or not it is actually in the best interest of humanity.

Corns are an example of the product of genetic engineering. Most of us have only eaten the sweet, yellow version, but according to my ex-boss, who came from Peru, there are at least 50 kinds of corns that exist in her country.

We're already actually living in a pretty artificial world where we are being selective of plants and livestocks that we either believe are beneficial, or because these are probably the only species we are aware of. And, species that are probably actually also important to the maintenance of the natural world in which we are not aware of, are probably fading away. Of course, it's not entirely correct to say that they existed to maintain the natural world. It'd be more accurate to say that they existed because the conditions favored their survival, but pretty good chance that in the long run, their existence, in turn, must have influenced the environment as well.

That said, many scientists have also argued that genetically engineered babies may not be in the best interest of humanity, actually. Monoculture is more than the color of your skin/hair/eye, or your intelligence. There is also your immunity against new forms of virus, which are known to mutate pretty frequently. HIV is an example of that. Humans do not mutate or change their DNA as often as bacteria or virus do, which is already in itself a disadvantage when developing defense against these genetically capricious beings. Sure, we can develop treatment and cure and vaccination, but it's not perfect.

Did you know that a minority population in the world, which inherited a mutation in the receptor CCR5 of their T-cells (aka. CCR5 delta 32), actually proves to be good defense against HIV and plague? There are things we should let nature take course anyway, otherwise, we would have never known what other interesting things are out there.

Besides, I doubt people will ever fully understand human genome. Human Genome Project was mapped out based on one person, but more babies are being born naturally as we speak, it'll probably take forever before scientist can figure out how many different variations are there for just one gene among 60 billion people.

There's still gap in our understanding of yeast genes.

PS: Please note, pretty good chance I said something wrong in some of these things because my brain isn't exactly being coherent with my personal understanding of genetics as I have liked while typing these down. Always, go online and research on the latest research papers for more information. scholar.google.com is a great way to start.

Last edited by Hiraku (08-16-2011 08:32:31 AM)

#13 | Back to Top08-16-2011 11:20:19 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hiraku wrote:

That said, many scientists have also argued that genetically engineered babies may not be in the best interest of humanity, actually. Monoculture is more than the color of your skin/hair/eye, or your intelligence. There is also your immunity against new forms of virus, which are known to mutate pretty frequently. HIV is an example of that. Humans do not mutate or change their DNA as often as bacteria or virus do, which is already in itself a disadvantage when developing defense against these genetically capricious beings. Sure, we can develop treatment and cure and vaccination, but it's not perfect.

Did you know that a minority population in the world, which inherited a mutation in the receptor CCR5 of their T-cells (aka. CCR5 delta 32), actually proves to be good defense against HIV and plague? There are things we should let nature take course anyway, otherwise, we would have never known what other interesting things are out there.

You go to med school and I don't, so you know best, but if most humans had a genetically engineered resistance to HIV, isn't it likely that HIV would mutate into a more virulent form that would overcome that resistance?  This seems like a parallel situation to the well-known fix we're in with antibiotics, where our miracle drugs no longer work because bacteria have evolved to ignore them.  If memory serves, HIV is an incredibly compact virus -- just nine genes, right? -- which lets it evolve astoundingly quickly and has frustrated vaccination efforts to date.  Why would genetic engineering fare any better?

Mind you, if genetic engineering could eradicate a disease, and it were possible to use it for that purpose and no other purpose, that would seem okay to me.  But it's a slippery slope, and it would really suck to bring a gun to the knife-fight only to shoot ourselves in the foot.

#14 | Back to Top08-16-2011 12:17:35 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

lol, actually, I'm not in med school... yet... so, there's still a lot that I don't know about HIV.

But, I have to agree with you. HIV can and will continually mutate and evolve such that it will overcome the resistance we put up against some day. At this point, any treatment or vaccination developed is directed against either the actual nucleotides of the HIV genes, or the subsequent proteins that interact with it.

There's a possibility that genetic engineering may never be able to truly eradicate the source of the disease, or set up the perfect defense against it, for that matter.

Actually, many of the treatments against HIV had some pretty deterimental side effects in themselves. What they are I don't remember off the top of my head except one of them will actually substantially increase your body fat. When you're attempting to screw with the gene of your targeted virus, you have a pretty good chance with screwing with your own DNA machinery even if the virus didn't bypass that firewall somehow.

At this point, it's more like, yeah, we know we might end up shooting ourselves in the foot, but... it would seem to be our best gamble, like introducing the CCR5-delta mutation into patients, hoping that it might be the way. But, there's no such thing as a magic bullet. Things also get complicated not just in terms of virus, but also the fact that individuals are not equally receptive of the same treatments.

Mutation isn't just something you're born with, but can also be something accumulated over time. Our genes are constantly under "assault" due to environmental factors. We may be exposed to the sunlight differently, to the computer, to the food. A lot of things need to be taken into consideration, so monocultural population may not actually happen. Some genes choose to jump around and stuff. Some genes, for some bizarre reason that may or may not involve mutation, activate or inactivate themselves. The "Barr Body" of the sex chromosome is an example, where out of the two X-chromosomes, one must "close up". It is likely that one chromosome carries a gene that the other doesn't, so there's another variation happening that I... kinda doubted human technology can ever tamper.

Just a thought.

PS: Another forumite might be able to provide more concrete insight than I do regarding basic biology. Wondering if Trench Kamen will be dropping by...? emot-confused

Last edited by Hiraku (08-16-2011 12:29:47 PM)

#15 | Back to Top08-16-2011 07:39:12 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

I'm actually of the opinion that IQ tests mostly just test for middle class ethics and not for genius. It's an inherently undefined concept, of course it can't be quantified by bureaucratic formalism.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (08-16-2011 07:39:23 PM)

#16 | Back to Top08-21-2011 11:18:52 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

This is a thought that I've had for a long time that I have been hitherto unable to articulate: the industrial state views intelligence in the same way it views factory labor. Thanks, Ohtori!

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (08-21-2011 11:19:04 PM)

#17 | Back to Top08-30-2011 06:12:01 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Hiraku wrote:

But, I have to agree with you. HIV can and will continually mutate and evolve such that it will overcome the resistance we put up against some day. At this point, any treatment or vaccination developed is directed against either the actual nucleotides of the HIV genes, or the subsequent proteins that interact with it.

HIV is pretty overrated. There are already some people in Europe who've developed immunity for it, as well as at least one person whose immune system actually defeated the virus, so developing a cure is most definately not impossible. One may actually already exist, but it'll take a long period of testing for potential side-effects before it gets out to the market.

Genetic engineering, like all science is great when it's used to expand the limits and possibilities of the human experience. If it's used to limit and control it however, that is bad. It's all about the intent and application.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#18 | Back to Top08-30-2011 07:13:01 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Lightice wrote:

Functional cure for HIV

Do you mean this? http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/ … 9146.shtml

I just went and check it out. That's great that they actually did it. I always wondered if it was possible to completely replace white blood cell system of an individual with one that would overcome HIV.

I think from this point on, they just need to be able to manufacture white blood cell transplant with the right kind of receptors, and they'll be set with a cure. I would like to think there's no side effect, though, since a population of Europeans who carried this variation of a receptor for their white blood cells had survived generations since they survived the plague.

Linking this back to the talk about genetic engineering. You're right, once we start using genetic engineering for the purpose of "control", we MAY be doing more harm than good. This is part of the reason why I felt that it would be good to leave certain things to nature because if we ever start controlling the population with genes that are considered the "norm", we would have probably thought then that this "1% of caucasian population" that carried this varied white blood cell receptor is considered "mutant", and try to eliminate these anomaly instead of getting the opportunity to find a functional cure for HIV.

But who knows, though? Maybe given time, people WOULD have found out about this unique white blood cell without nature's intervention of random mutation anyway. :|a

#19 | Back to Top10-28-2011 05:03:44 PM

Rotten Mooring
Precious One

We're already dong it!

Not in the scientific way, but every time someone chooses donated sperm for a baby based on the traits they're hoping their baby will inherit from the donor, that is an attempt to genetically engineer the offspring! That's how genetic engineering works in plants most of the time. Farmers, gardeners, etc... just make sure to breed together plants with the traits you want to influence the crops you're getting. Animal breeders do the same thing. And, for better or worse, it's ALL genetic engineering! school-eng101

But as for the Mad Scientist side of things, I'm for it. cool Yeah, there's ways in which I can see things going badly, but so long as everything gets appropriate testing and regulation, I think it'll turn out for the best. Also, it'll be super cool when we can make biological offspring from both parents in homosexual couplings. emot-biggrin

Board footer