This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top04-19-2007 12:46:50 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Re: Tradegy at Virginia tech

Interestingly enough, a website is claiming that the gunman may have suffered from Obsessive Ex Syndrome. Not enough information to confirm, but the theory, seems to be relatively new (at least I haven't heard of it before and I like to stay abreast of current trends in psychology) So, without further ado, check it out...

http://www.obsessive-ex.com/oex/index.html

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#27 | Back to Top04-19-2007 04:03:30 AM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Yasha wrote:

ShatteredMirror wrote:

One thing that bothers me about this massacre is... I'm neither shocked or outraged. It's the bloodiest shooting by a single gunman in US history, and I'm not surprised by it. What the fuck is the world coming to?

Some perspective, Shattered. The world is a peaceful enough place that the deaths of 33 people are remarked on, when a few hundred years ago, no one would have cared.

Oddly that is what I kept thinking about the Iraq war--you know wars are no longer nearly as violent when the death of one soldier is news, and in Vietnam and all wars previous, soldiers were dying by the scores per day. By that I mean they are as violent against individuals, but as the death toll goes, the numbers are declining sharply.

Which, of course, does not make the war any more right. emot-mad

The day of the shootings my friend and I were approached by a reporter for Arizona Public Radio asking us if we felt safe at ASU. I muddled my words horribly and sounded like a moron, but we both said "Yeah, safe as anywhere else." I think it burst his bubble. The media is going to want CONTROVERSY. Scared students, colleges in a tizzy to make security tighter. Blah blah blah...

If this guy really is schizophrenic, I wonder what the implications will be for allowing schizophrenics to enroll in universities, or any schools at all.

Obsessive Ex Syndrome--God damn. And you think it's bad when your ex calls you crying and drunk randomly one night. emot-confused

#28 | Back to Top04-19-2007 08:07:47 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Okay, who the fuck let this guy into any college at all for ENGLISH. He sucks at writing and speaking and sounding remotely like someone who should be in school for English.

He was an English LIT major.  You don't need to be able to write to study lit. emot-smile

As for the obsessive ex thing -- the guy had no social skills, no ability to make eye contact, and no ability to communicate or connect with other people: the man had probably never had a girlfriend.  He'd been stalking women for at least a couple of years, taking inappropriate photos of women under his desk.  The roommate of the first woman to be shot (in the dorm) said that she'd never known or even seen the guy, and she was relatively certain that her roommate didn't know him either (he was a senior, they were frosh, at an enormous school in a different dorm).

Some media outlets are blaming that first woman, Emily Hilscher, for the subsequent shootings, which is just insane.  Even if she HAD known the guy, even if she HAD rebuffed him for some reason, it's not her fault that he shot her, much less her RA and 30 other people.

The guy was psychotic, badly in need of Haldol/Zyprexa/whatever and a long time under close watch in a hospital.  It's as simple as that.

#29 | Back to Top04-20-2007 02:10:24 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I just saw some videos about the killer...

http://www.hyscience.com/archives/2007/ … anifes.php

emot-gonk Ugh.. It's so sad that people can be so wrapped up in violence and hate like that. My biology lab teacher said that he was teased a lot of a child and people told him to "go back to China"? I wouldn't be surprised. But that still doesn't justify homicide..

#30 | Back to Top04-20-2007 02:50:40 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

In my opinion... the only way to stop the cycle of violence is if someone is brave enough to take on all the hate and the abuse without fighting back, and that person has to show that he/she sincerely forgives those people and is able to take any shit they throw on him/her. And when that person dies from the abuse, that's how people will see the horror of their actions and stop it.
Either that, or people will continue being dumb and keep bullying other people. It's hard to say how one should stop violence. I mean, there's Martin Luther King, and then there's Malcolm X...
Lots of people are gonna be against my idea of how to stop violence, but I do think it has a shot because it takes courage to take arms and fight back as well as to turn hate to forgiveness.

Last edited by Hiraku (04-20-2007 02:54:31 PM)

#31 | Back to Top04-20-2007 04:10:12 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I hate to be the "I BLAME SOCIETY" person in this issue but from the point of view of someone who was so maligned in middle school when Columbine rolled around everyone (including TEACHERS) started making noises about how I was going to come into school with a gun the next day despite my being 13/14 and an avowed pacifist.

But there are all these people coming out of the woodwork saying, "Hey yeah I thought he was pretty weird!" and how he was seen to be a danger to himself and others and there's even a woman who threatened to resign if Cho wasn't pulled out of her class, who's currently being touted as a would-be hero. I really have to wonder how many people were willing to look at him as a human being with issues that needs help, instead of a wild animal that deserved to be humiliated and controlled. I'm not saying it would've prevented the incident, but just once I'd like to hear that someone actually reached out to one of these poor kids, and by reached out I don't mean suggest he be submitted to a mental ward behind his back. Oh I'd love to be proven wrong here, but it sounds like people were more interested in making him into the other even before he actually acted on it.

I'm also pretty pissed off at this dude for making sure another generation of his "weird" brethren get subjected to the kind of treatment he did with rational justification. Nobody in authority ever argues with zomg he mite shoot meeee~.

Last edited by Hinotori (04-20-2007 04:11:07 PM)

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#32 | Back to Top04-20-2007 10:54:02 PM

SwordKing
Saionji Slapper

I read on Yahoo news that the shooter's family issued an official apology. I'm most likely in the minority, but I don't think that was neccessary. They didn't do anything and therefore have nothing to apologize for.

#33 | Back to Top04-24-2007 05:13:40 PM

RainbowRoseQueen
Pained Growlithe

Its just such a damn shame emot-frown Well hope zombies like poptarts emot-keke

poptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptart
poptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptart

Thats probably more than enough. I dunno I don't count. Wastes my time.....

#34 | Back to Top04-24-2007 05:28:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

tohubohu wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

Okay, who the fuck let this guy into any college at all for ENGLISH. He sucks at writing and speaking and sounding remotely like someone who should be in school for English.

He was an English LIT major.  You don't need to be able to write to study lit. emot-smile

Ahhhh, that would explain it, then! The articles were only saying 'English major', so I was confused. In that case he really needed to do more reading a less writing. emot-gonk

SwordKing wrote:

I read on Yahoo news that the shooter's family issued an official apology. I'm most likely in the minority, but I don't think that was neccessary. They didn't do anything and therefore have nothing to apologize for.

I'm inclined to agree they shouldn't be apologizing for his behavior. At the same time, didn't they see their kid was a fucking maniac? Then again...river in Egypt. I think if anything here is disturbing, it's how normal a lot of people found his behavior before. Not that they saw it as acceptable, but that so little was really done. We didn't take him seriously, which really speaks of the overall apathetic attitude people have toward psychotic behavior. It was kinda eyeroll whatever crazyass kid when it was just one person. It took a few more people, huh?

That said, I must admit I find it irritating this is flooding the news when I care more about Iraq and the Bush administration sticking its own dick in its ass. Just seems more important on a wider scale. Yes, there was negligence here. Yes, there are fingers to point and plenty of places to point them. But there are also always going to be crazy people, and we don't even care when they're in office, so we can hardly expect to notice every single one wandering every single school campus.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#35 | Back to Top04-26-2007 01:10:23 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I was just talking to a friend about this, and specifically about the marginalization of the "weird" by society.

She said that yes, it's wrong that the guy was treated badly, but if he was seriously mentally ill then he needed medical attention, and having people reach out to him and be nice to him would be a good thing, but it's solving the wrong problem and basically slapping a Band-Aid on a broken bone.

I'm inclined to agree.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#36 | Back to Top04-26-2007 07:05:40 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Actually, he was receiving medical attention.  He was taking antidepressants.  Unfortunately, while those produce a benefit in most cases, there is some evidence that they can promote psychotic behavior in a few others.  Not that this poor guy probably needed much help.  What a lot of people need to realize about this is that tragedies aren't always avoidable.  Pretty much everybody involved did what they knew to do, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect anyone to have done better.  Frankly, this guy was a wild animal.  I don't mean to suggest that it was his fault, any more than the Gulf of Mexico is blameworthy for the destruction of New Orleans, it's just that humans are very complicated machines, especially the human brain, and there will always be cases where something goes horribly wrong.  Regarding Professor Giovanni, who had him removed from her class, she was concerned for the rest of her students.  She's a college professor, not a social worker.  After he was removed, the dean of the department met with him regularly as a private tutor, trying to encourage him to write about how he felt.  They did the best they could.  It just wasn't enough this time.

In unrelated news, the day of the Va Tech shootings, 182 people were killed in a series of bombings in Baghdad.  Nobody really cared.

EDIT: Damn my spelling!

Last edited by Stormcrow (04-26-2007 07:06:33 AM)

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#37 | Back to Top04-26-2007 07:14:41 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Stormcrow wrote:

In unrelated news, the day of the Va Tech shootings, 182 people were killed in a series of bombings in Baghdad.  Nobody really cared.

That's a little harsh.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#38 | Back to Top04-26-2007 08:57:29 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

morosemocha wrote:

Stormcrow wrote:

That's a little harsh.

You're right, and I'm sorry.  I'm a little on edge today, but that's my problem, and it's no excuse.  All of the sorrow and anger that people feel about the VA Tech shootings is entirely natural and I've no business being upset about it, I just get frustrated when people only are concerned about what's going on in their own backyard and can blithely ignore the same troubles when they happen down the street.  That's natural too I suppose, but that doesn't make me like it.  In case anyone reading this lost someone close in the shootings, you have my sincerest apologies and condolences.  Each such death is a tragedy, no matter what goes on somewhere else.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#39 | Back to Top04-26-2007 09:21:36 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

It's as they said in China, Stormcrow, "Sweep the snow in front of your own doorstep"
Everyone has his/her own problems. We're in a fast-paced society where we have too much to worry about for ourselves that it would really take a saint to be willing wholeheartedly to spend time worrying about what's going on outside his/her life.
And remember that every life is precious. I'm certain there are people who cared about those who died in Baghdad. But, the shock level is different because the war's been going on so long that it is expected to hear about the huge death tolls in Middle East, like that huge burning that's happened over ten years ago.
Mind me not, I'm ranting here.

#40 | Back to Top04-26-2007 08:52:57 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Stormcrow wrote:

Actually, he was receiving medical attention.  He was taking antidepressants.  Unfortunately, while those produce a benefit in most cases, there is some evidence that they can promote psychotic behavior in a few others.  Not that this poor guy probably needed much help.  What a lot of people need to realize about this is that tragedies aren't always avoidable.  Pretty much everybody involved did what they knew to do, and I don't think it's reasonable to expect anyone to have done better.  Frankly, this guy was a wild animal.  I don't mean to suggest that it was his fault, any more than the Gulf of Mexico is blameworthy for the destruction of New Orleans, it's just that humans are very complicated machines, especially the human brain, and there will always be cases where something goes horribly wrong.  Regarding Professor Giovanni, who had him removed from her class, she was concerned for the rest of her students.  She's a college professor, not a social worker.  After he was removed, the dean of the department met with him regularly as a private tutor, trying to encourage him to write about how he felt.  They did the best they could.  It just wasn't enough this time.

EDIT: Damn my spelling!

If the antidepressants are causing psychotic behavior then the patient should be switched to a different medication. But I'm generally of the opinion, as someone who has struggled with mental illness in the past, that somebody who's unbalanced should be watched closely, especially if other people consider him to be a danger to others. I think the professor did the right thing in having him removed from her class. I don't think she was a hero by any stretching of the definition but frankly one has to look out for oneself. At some point we have to draw a line between "discrimination" and "common sense."

As for the bombings, it's hard for people to get outraged about something if they didn't know that it had happened. Perhaps it's cliche to say that I only know of the world what I read in the papers, but it's true.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#41 | Back to Top04-27-2007 03:46:30 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Nobody's implying that anyone treating him any way would've prevented the VATech shootings. In fact, I kind of hinted at the end of my little rant that I think most of the post columbine proactive measures did more harm than good, since for every psychopathic school shooter there are at least a thousand "weird" kids who'll turn out just fine. And my issue with Professor Giovanni wasn't as much that she somehow did something to cause the schooting but that people who are acting like everyone who looked at him suspiciously in the hallways is a potential hero when they obviously didn't prevent the inevitable either. It might be that she's a local girl, but she got more press here than the guy that baracaded the door with his own body. My problem is that people are using this as a venue to get their backwards behaviour justified and congratulated. Just clearing that bit up.

And repeating what I said elsewhere, Stormcrow. Back the first time this happened the next dozen or so copycat shootings were pretty unceremoniously reported and I think any more shootings will probably be treated the same way. We used to wet our panties over every bombing in Iraq as well and I hate to say it, but now we're kind of used to it and that's why it doesn't get reported. Bombings in Bagdhad are going to need to kill the most people on record or take place in Amish country in order for us to care this time around since we're so desensitised. It's good for our psycology that we're able to program our brains this way, but it does lead to sitiuations where a lot of people die and the general public is more concerned with the white sale at Macy's.

EDIT: And yeah. I know the slashdot article is a little melodramatic, but the facts illustrate my point just fine. I may be just a little bit butthurt that one of my sketchbooks was taken from me by the powers that be in that whole mess. Bahahaha.

Last edited by Hinotori (04-27-2007 03:54:42 PM)

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

Board footer