This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-04-2014 12:42:48 AM

Jacrad
Ballgoer

Anthy on the Ledge

I got to thinking about Anthy's attempted suicide and now I'm wondering what the purpose of it was. There's the obvious answer that she just wanted to end her suffering and be done with it all. But I always got the impression that she was immortal so wouldn't she be unable to actually end her life? Surely if she can be stabbed by the swords of hate she can take a fall. Okay, so maybe she was doing it to cause herself pain? Perhaps she wanted to punish herself for all the things she put Utena through? But I feel like if that were the case she would have been more secretive and sneaky about it. And if that were the case then the thought occurs to me that she wanted Utena to see her attempt the fall. With that thought in mind it leads me to a few possibilities. One is that Anthy was testing the strength of hers and Utena's relationship to see if Utena really would risk her life to save her. Another is that she wanted to fake her death to save Utena from the final duel (Although probably realizing that she would just start the cycle over again later.) The last explanation I can think of is that she wanted to manipulate Utena's feelings and gain more of her trust before the final duel.

If anyone needs a quick review here's a link to the script for that episode and here's a link to screenshots for that episode.

#2 | Back to Top08-04-2014 01:49:18 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Re: Anthy on the Ledge

My personal theory ties itself in with 'Nanami's Egg'. In it, Chu Chu reincarnates via the medium of the egg, and further, Anthy discusses reincarnation in general with Utena. In order to be able to realistically perpetuate her loop, Anthy has to go through Ohtori's system over and over again, start to end. With this in mind, there is a fair argument to be made that she reincarnates herself each time. If this is indeed the case, throwing herself off of the tower would put an end to that particular incarnation of Anthy, freeing Utena to carry on the rest of her life, and (briefly) freeing Anthy from the grinding pressure of this incarnation of the dueling game.

So, I believe that Anthy was making a genuine attempt to end this particular incarnation of herself. Not so much as a suicide attempt as an attempt at running away. Utena even says something to this effect, if I remember clearly.

#3 | Back to Top08-04-2014 10:08:56 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

The thing is, although it's a common assumption that she can't die, there's no evidence to prove that outside the Million Swords, which can't really be taken as totally non-metaphorical. We don't know, and aren't supposed to know, exactly what Anthy is or what she can endure.

However, I think she knew it probably wouldn't work, but she was desperate to save Utena from what's coming, and willing to try anything within the limited set of actions she allows herself. Even if it didn't work, it would've been enough to convince Utena that it had worked. If she jumps off the ledge and vanishes from Utena's life, it might've been enough to convince her to leave the school, thus saving her from the fate of the last duel.

#4 | Back to Top08-04-2014 12:26:16 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Aelanie wrote:

The thing is, although it's a common assumption that she can't die, there's no evidence to prove that outside the Million Swords, which can't really be taken as totally non-metaphorical.

I think you're confusing "metaphorical" with "symbolic." Sure, the Million Swords might stand for some abstract idea of "mob mentality" or "the unimaginative masses of society," but they are also clearly a massive and apparently deadly storm of swords. Note that they do "kill" Utena when they strike her, suggesting it's a property innate to Anthy that makes her own sacrifice from being fatal.

However, I think she knew it probably wouldn't work, but she was desperate to save Utena from what's coming, and willing to try anything within the limited set of actions she allows herself. Even if it didn't work, it would've been enough to convince Utena that it had worked. If she jumps off the ledge and vanishes from Utena's life, it might've been enough to convince her to leave the school, thus saving her from the fate of the last duel.

Either this or, if you want to take a more negative view on Anthy's character, she does it simply to test Utena's bond to her to ensure that she will duel Akio when the time comes.

#5 | Back to Top08-04-2014 01:07:13 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

We had a fantastic thread about this a while ago.  This question has spawned some of the most diverse reactions of any I've seen on IRG.  Hypotheses from the linked thread include:

- Anthy has had enough pain and was sincerely trying to die.

- Anthy wants to kill herself rather than choose between betraying Utena or Akio.

- Anthy is desperate, and (whether she would die from the jump or not) this is a cry for help to get Utena to acknowledge her pain.

- Anthy is trying to die, or quit the game, in order to protect Utena.

- Anthy's jump would result in an injury or other "mistrial," like a temporary death, that would break this round of the cycle, protecting Utena.

- The suicide attempt is as metaphorical as the swords are, and Anthy's body is basically a projection.  If Anthy had jumped, the next day we would have seen her sitting at her desk like nothing had happened.

- By breaking her promise to drink tea in ten years, Anthy is trying to warn Utena that she can't be trusted.

- By impressing the severity of the situation onto Utena, Anthy is trying to get her to quit the game.

- By impressing the severity of the situation onto Utena, Anthy is trying to get her not to quit the game.

- Anthy is testing Utena to see if she will act like a prince.

- Anthy's fall would have been like her fall in the final episode: no death, but some kind of consequence.

- This is part of Akio's plan: he is working with Anthy to manipulate Utena.

- This is part of Akio's plan: he is manipulating Anthy into manipulating Utena.

- This is a cry for help and a calculated move: the emotion Anthy expresses is real, but she expresses it in order to manipulate Utena.

- Anthy would liquidly reform like the Terminator.

So there's all of that. emot-biggrin

#6 | Back to Top08-05-2014 04:40:47 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Atropos wrote:

I think you're confusing "metaphorical" with "symbolic." Sure, the Million Swords might stand for some abstract idea of "mob mentality" or "the unimaginative masses of society," but they are also clearly a massive and apparently deadly storm of swords.

No, I'm not. I think you're confusing your interpretation for mine, which is not yours.

Note that they do "kill" Utena when they strike her, suggesting it's a property innate to Anthy that makes her own sacrifice from being fatal.

I saw no death take place there. Maybe you believe you did, but that - again - is your personal opinion, not mine. We never see the swords strike Utena. Assuming they did is just that, an assumption, one made without evidence. Assuming they "kill" her is another of the same.

Either this or, if you want to take a more negative view on Anthy's character,

I don't, and I find such views both tedious and at odds with the creative intentions of the character as I see them.

Last edited by Aelanie (08-05-2014 04:42:51 PM)

#7 | Back to Top08-05-2014 05:16:39 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Aelanie wrote:

No, I'm not. I think you're confusing your interpretation for mine, which is not yours.

Perhaps it isn't. That doesn't alter my larger point, which you failed to address: why would you assume that the Million Swords have no ability to harm or kill someone, when they're never depicted as anything other than a million non-metaphorical pointy swords? They can be symbolic of anything, what matters is the properties they demonstrate within the narrative itself. If they appear to be lethal, but Anthy isn't harmed by them, it's completely reasonable to assume that it's some trait of Anthy's that protects her.

Assuming they did is just that, an assumption, one made without evidence. Assuming they "kill" her is another of the same.

Akio thought she died. He was there. Even if she was reborn outside Ohtori in some form, she still died within the confines of its world. One of the most potent themes in SKU is that miracles, and revolutions, need a sacrifice—you have to give up something in the hope of getting something back. Think of the phoenix symbolism that pervades Ohtori Academy, think of Touga's eggshell speech, think of Mikage's pyromania, think of Anthy suffering eternally to protect Dios. Miracles are built on the sacrifices of others—and more often than not, that sacrifice is blood.

I don't, and I find such views both tedious and at odds with the creative intentions of the character as I see them.

Good for you, but surely you can understand that not everyone will agree. The darker aspects of Anthy's character have been thoroughly discussed in this community on numerous occasions. Keep in mind that, despite what she feels for Utena—which is love, of the strongest kind—she still stabs her in the back and then leaves her dying on the floor. Perhaps her emotions were genuine to a certain degree. She still didn't tell Utena that Akio was EoTW, or come out and say "I'm being stabbed with a million swords right now," or even "It might not be a good idea to go to the dueling arena." She is being deceptive in that scene, even though it's probably the most candor she displays in the entire series.

Last edited by Atropos (08-05-2014 05:16:55 PM)

Board footer