This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-06-2016 10:06:03 PM

Rocko52
Wakaba Wrangler

Best way to get/read the Utena manga?

Hey all! So in case you didn't know, I'm a bright-faced, new Utena-inductee! (I'm a noob who just watched the series & movie and fell in love lol) My craze for all things Utena stuff makes me reaaally want to read the Utena manga by Chiho Saito - both the 5 volume series and the 1 volume movie adaptation. Regardless of whether they're as good or whatever, I just reaaally want to read this manga lol.

So apparently Utena was one of Viz's earlier big propeties back in the early 2000s...the trouble is it looks like there hasn't been a new print run in over a decade. emot-gonk Although I can definitely stomach reading manga online, I'd rather buy it's official release because - I far prefer the feeling of reading something in my hands + I like the feeling the I've supported the industry in some way. However it looks like collecting these 6 volumes of the Utena manga will put me over $100 if I want them in good condition...which might be a bit much. I can get the Japanese volumes for substantially cheaper...but I can't read Japanese lol. emot-frown   

I've only looked into it a little bit, (like barely skimmed a google search and a few sites) but it seems a lot of manga databases/scan sites don't have Utena & if they do it looks like it's in pretty horrid quality.

So considering my options what would be the best way to read the manga side of RGU? Even if I don't love it as much as the show (who knows - I might!) I just can't get enough of this series. Are there any options I haven't considered? Is the Viz translation faithful to the original? Am I going to have to just man up and put down the $100+ for the series? lol

school-chef Tell me more experienced Utena-sempais! school-chef
               ^ Don't worry that's not a threat...school-devil

#2 | Back to Top01-07-2016 01:55:47 AM

Arale
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Re: Best way to get/read the Utena manga?

You'll probably just have to buy it. Protip though, because of how old it is, "new" copies from Amazon aren't necessarily in great condition themselves. I mean, they're excellent for being printed so long ago, but that'll only carry you so far. If I were you I wouldn't worry about quality too much and just get some used copies in good or higher condition... Volume 5 is much more expensive than the others for some reason though, IDK why.

im a shadow play girl irl

#3 | Back to Top01-07-2016 03:15:52 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

You can, on occasion, grab the whole set off ebay or something for like 60bux or so--you tend to do better waiting for the set. As for scans, you won't find it on a lot of manga sites because it was technically licensed and released in English.

That said, it's no longer in print, Viz has been long dead, and as far as I can tell no one currently has the English license for the content. Which means a new translation effort posted on such scan sites would not be any more legally dubious than any other translation posting. It's a little hairy to post scans of Viz's work of course, but there's also no entity around to get mad about it, so I have at times considered scanning the manga to have it available for people given its comparative rarity. (Something that will just get worse as time goes on.) No one's specifically called for it, though, so I've not been in a huge rush. If there's demand for that kind of thing I may try harder. emot-keke

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#4 | Back to Top01-07-2016 05:13:07 AM

Rocko52
Wakaba Wrangler

Hmm, while that would be nice, I think I'll just wait for a "good-ish" deal on them used. Like I said, I prefer to own a physical copy, and all  things considered I think I'd have the best experience that way. I wouldn't mind laying down some dough for Utena after all. (Just would like to spend less than more lol) It seems a bit sad how, while still considered a classic, Utena is pretty far out of the limelight now, although it makes sense for a show that's almost 20 years old. It really is a shame Viz doesn't ever reprint these, but I guess there's not really a huge demand for it, and I suppose I can see why. It feels somewhat odd to be so late to the Utena party as it were lol, whenever I become a fan of something that's been around for quite a bit, it always feel kinda surreal but also pretty interesting to learn about what the fan community was like back in the day.

Are there any veteran fans here who remember the earliest days of the Utena fandom, when it was maybe a bigger name in the small US industry, as it was new back then? I mean, I know that the site this is connected to, ohtori.nu , is quite old (and remarkably still running! I've loved the theories/galleries/interviews/other stuff on there lol!) and I know the founders/active contributors have been Utena fans for quite some time too.

Last edited by Rocko52 (01-07-2016 05:21:35 AM)

#5 | Back to Top01-07-2016 07:29:04 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I remember those days. emot-keke

Some things are so different now, but other things have remained the same. We still argue over whether Utena and Anthy are a romance or not, we still argue over whether Ruka is a human piece of shit or a saint, and I still run the only Akio shrine on the internet. emot-rolleyes

It's all much more concentrated now, though. Anyone who is still interested in or is now discovering SKU isn't likely to do so because they're maniacally absorbing every shoujo anime they can find. There were a lot of fans back then that just enjoyed the show at face value as a great shoujo series. I suppose you could call them 'casual' fans? We're all more invested now, some of us have literally led different lives because of the show, or have it burned on our skin, our wedding pictures, or found it indirectly leading to the most drunken state they've ever been in ever.

If the fandom aside from just being smaller has any fatal flaw now, it's that some of us have been here so long we're very set in our ways, and it makes people sometimes stubborn in the face of new conversations or arguments. I say this now because I'm working on the analysis section, which to me has always been about variety, but includes essays that have offended many. Hell, that stupid one I wrote about Anthy ended up a flippant Tumblr meme. emot-biggrin

For a series as old as this, though, there are so many total non-answers. Even after years of interviews and opportunities to clarify, Ikuhara and the rest still refuse to give straight answers, and interpretations vary as widely as the people offering them up. I think that's why despite its age, there's still a fandom at all. It used to be like any other fandom, of course. We all gobbled up the two second trailers for the movie, excited at every low quality image that surfaced...when there were more translators around people used to bicker and debate translations of obscure cultural references from the Shadow Play Girls...we were all a lively crowd. It's much more sedate of course now, and that this forum still exists at all is something of a miracle. It's a relic from a time before the dominance of social media sites, and it's just not the primary means of communication it used to be a decade ago! It's always humbling to remember that.

While late to the party, you're still in before last call, I think! We're all here, and Tumblr's made for a revamp of its own, though I am personally forbidden from visiting it by Yasha. She says I lack diplomacy and self-moderation. And apparently wanting to jump on Akio's cartoon joystick is not a popular pastime over there? etc-wankgirl

Ahem. As for the manga, there's been far less demand for it, to be honest. The rerelease of the series probably didn't make Right Stuf's year in sales, but was a reliable offering and definitely added value to their library. There was a definite demand for it. Manga I think is less vibrant a sales category, and the manga was never really as clung to as the series by English-speaking fans. You could blame this on availability and you wouldn't be wrong, but I think also a lot of what many of us love in the series honestly is less present in the manga, which follows a much more classic shoujo structure and tone. And Saito's disapproval of the homosexual connotations in the series and movie were also not popularity making.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#6 | Back to Top01-07-2016 10:48:11 AM

Rocko52
Wakaba Wrangler

Ah thanks for all that lol. As for me, I dunno yet if I'm in for the long haul. Usually with shows/things I tend to move from obsession to obsession, but as of today actually it's been one month since I watched Episode 1...and it's just been a whole lot of love on my end so far. The series just feels so incredibly different than most anime (closest thing might be Evangelion, watched and loved that a few years back now) and of course it's 2deep4u lol. Just the characters, plot, art style, humor, themes, wide ambiguity, I just love it all so much. I hope I'm a fan for a good long while more, but dunno if I'll become an Uber Fan or something in the future, but who knows. I just hope I can add something to the conversation, although with 19 years of fan theory/debate I feel like it'll be hard to not retread ground, but oh well.

Also, I've never been huge into shoujo, although I did really like Fruits Basket and Yona of the Dawn, I haven't really explored much more in that demographic, much less expected that my favorite show would come from there! I mean, now that I've looked into it some more, there are a few more shoujo series I'd like to try, but I really doubt any of them offer up the same sort of feeling that Utena has.

Back on the subject of "ye old days," I'm kind of curious - way back when how did you get exposed to/get your hands (or eyes I suppose) on Utena? If you were eagerly awaiting the movie from 99, then you must have somehow had a way to have watched the show/discuss it back around 97-99. Makes meh super curious.

I had a riot reading the amazon description of the first Utena DVD. It was released in 2000 or 2001 maybe, and it proudly declared "From the Director of Sailor Moon," on the front. But the part that really got me was the "Amazon Editor's Review." I know the DVD had only, like, the first five episodes, but the guy had NO idea what he was talking about! (Or maybe it was all a front idfk) He kept making comments about how it was a great show for little girls, how "Utena does for little girls what Star Wars does for little boys," and listed the "fun adventures" of Utena and Anthy such as "discovering the riddles of the forest (WTF emot-rofl) but the part that REALLY had me in stitches was this little gem near the end, "...although some Western fans might be attempting to read too deeply into the show's alleged sexual politics, it's good fun for kids..." That part just...that was it XD

I think I'll still try to find a way to read the manga though, just to have more Utena, even if it's not up to par. I've also heard about Saito being possibly homophobic (I hear that manga Juri is straight, or maybe bi? And that Utena x Touga is way emphasized over Utena x Anthy maybe?) but it seems weird to think that an integral part of Be-Papas could be homophobic when sexual identity/non-conformity is such a huge part of the entire point. Aaand I have seen pictures from the manga that have some Utena and Anthy kisses soooo, I dunno seems odd lol.

On a side note, by now I know you're a probably the biggest Akio fangirl on the site - I too must admit he's fabulous and sexy as hell lol. etc-wankdude I mean, my preferences usually are for girls (although my somewhat-maybe- SO atm is a gay guy so there's that lol XD) but...just Akio. That damned sexy bastard!  (Also, if you've seen Jojo's Bizarre Adventure...ever thought of Akio x Dio? I mean, Dio's even got the same seiyuu as Touga...heehee)

Last edited by Rocko52 (01-07-2016 11:11:45 AM)

#7 | Back to Top01-07-2016 10:50:59 AM

BunB
Ohtori Paramouri

Rocko52 wrote:

Are there any veteran fans here who remember the earliest days of the Utena fandom, when it was maybe a bigger name in the small US industry, as it was new back then? I mean, I know that the site this is connected to, ohtori.nu , is quite old (and remarkably still running! I've loved the theories/galleries/interviews/other stuff on there lol!) and I know the founders/active contributors have been Utena fans for quite some time too.

I've often wondered this myself. Were people passing around fansubbed episodes on VHS as it was airing like what happened with Evangelion in the 90s? How did the TV series first get popular in the west (before the movie was a thing)?

Must the sign of the negative proposition be constructed by means of the sign of the positive? Why should one not be able to express the negative proposition by means of a negative fact?

#8 | Back to Top01-07-2016 04:50:06 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I watched Utena through VHS fansubs back in 1999. I was lucky enough to meet a distributor while I was in college, so I binge-watched a tape while he did stuff around his house.

More on topic, I found the manga at a used bookstore website. They also have the BESM book for it, which I didn't even know was a thing.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#9 | Back to Top01-07-2016 05:19:38 PM

Rikoshi
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

BunB wrote:

Rocko52 wrote:

I've often wondered this myself. Were people passing around fansubbed episodes on VHS as it was airing like what happened with Evangelion in the 90s? How did the TV series first get popular in the west (before the movie was a thing)?

I first watched the show in college, back in the late 90s, myself.

The first 13 episodes were picked up and localized and released on VHS (and boy oh boy did the packaging LOVE to use bright pink and sky blue!), but it would be several years before the remaining 26 episodes got localized officially, and so fourth-generation fansubbed bootlegs were the only way to go at the time.

Honestly, fansubbed VHS tapes were hardly unique to Utena, either. At the time, anime was very, VERY niche (stores often referred to it as 'Japanimation' back in the day, and then later as 'animé' with the stress accent so people would know how to pronounce it), so fansubs were the only way to get anything that wasn't super high-profile, like Evangelion, Record of Lodoss War, Slayers, or Tenchi Muyo.

Last edited by Rikoshi (01-07-2016 05:21:06 PM)

#10 | Back to Top01-07-2016 06:03:37 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Yeah. Everything got fansubbed and club-watched or tape-traded back in the day. SKU had a strong enough following, but it was pretty niche, I'd think. Closer to Nurse Angel Ririka than to Tenchi or Eva.

(Sidenote: I'm still mad my ex has my copies of the later World of S & M/Belongs to Me comics. Especially since they went out of print fast.)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#11 | Back to Top01-08-2016 06:22:02 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Rocko52 wrote:

I've also heard about Saito being possibly homophobic (I hear that manga Juri is straight, or maybe bi? And that Utena x Touga is way emphasized over Utena x Anthy maybe?) but it seems weird to think that an integral part of Be-Papas could be homophobic when sexual identity/non-conformity is such a huge part of the entire point. Aaand I have seen pictures from the manga that have some Utena and Anthy kisses soooo, I dunno seems odd lol.

Art was drawn for the series by Saito that tends to have a more sexy flavor to it--you might notice in her artwork that their outfits shift from an original setup gradually closer to the series designs, and the sexiness increases alongside it. That said, I fall into the very unpopular camp that never took the series to be able a lesbian relationship between the two characters, so there's no more cognitive dissonance in her art than the series art to me. emot-rolleyes

She does write Juri as straight (bi maybe?) though, and other implicitly homosexual relationships don't happen in the manga either. It's more her tone in interviews, most of them taking place around the movie, though--which is undeniably a lesbian romance.

Rocko52 wrote:

you're a probably the biggest Akio fangirl on the site

Only probably? emot-rofl

Rocko52 wrote:

if you've seen Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

I..I have, yes. emot-gonk But actually Akio's voice actor seems pretty versatile, I rarely recognize him right away and he doesn't often pull me out of immersion by reminding me too much of another character he played. Mikage's voice actor, popular though he is, has this problem for me. Took a long time for Mikage to stop being Zelgadis from Slayers. That said, I haven't watched anime regularly in a horrifyingly long time.

DD: Huh, I have the first and didn't even know they got finished. emot-redface So much for the person that ran the initial attempt at translating it. Alas it was a little later in the fandom by then and I didn't have enough translators interested in it.

#12 | Back to Top01-11-2016 10:31:27 AM

Mangorabbit
Touga Topper

How about looking for copies at your local (or surrounding area/system) library? It might be more luck based than buying it online, but since the early 2000's most libraries have manga and comic sections.Most libraries even will order books from connected ones and let you borrow them! I remember before I watched the show I found the first issue at my town library. It was the only part they had though but my town is super tiny and the fact they even had that was amazing.
I'm sure it is worth a shot and then you will help them out too!

"Here is my secret. It is very simple: one sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes."

#13 | Back to Top01-11-2016 02:06:01 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Hey good idea! I just checked my old stomping grounds, and the Miami-Dade system does indeed have them! So that might be an option depending on where you live. emot-dance

#14 | Back to Top01-11-2016 05:13:19 PM

Rocko52
Wakaba Wrangler

Thanks for the idea! I'm actually thinking seriously about rewatching Utena tbh. I've never really felt a strong desire to rewatch a series so soon after watching it (in fact - I've only ever rewatched 1 or 2 anime - but I would really love to rewatch Evangelion) until now I guess lol. I probably should lol. ATM I'm watching Ouran Highschool Host Club which is silly fun - it's not deep but it's not trying to be & is just hilarious. Still Utena is still very much in my thoughts lol.

But yeah - I'll be sure to check around my library's system (I'm pretty sure it's not at my nearest physical library - but I could go there to scan their databases.)

#15 | Back to Top01-13-2016 04:07:14 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Many databases can be searched online, actually. And both Miami-Dade and my public library system up here in Edmonton will send a book to your local branch for you. Libraries are amazing things.

#16 | Back to Top01-20-2016 10:23:34 AM

Llarian
Miki Molester
Website

It's been so long, I don't remember accurately.

I did have some mysterious luck at a local used bookstore. Some of the volumes were old and the art was flopped, so I didn't buy those.  I was able to secure some from amazon or eBay, and the rest I received through paperbackswap online.

I was even able to get some Japanese-language Chiho Saito originals ['First Girl' and 'Kanon' come to mind] through paperbackswap.  I can't imagine why anyone would want to get rid of such things, but if I can benefit, I don't mind.

What's the point? Art is so useless. It's such a waste of time!
And it's not like anyone else ever wastes time. It's not like you spend hours in front of the television or the computer accomplishing absolutely nothing.
Oh wait.

#17 | Back to Top01-21-2016 02:56:02 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I think I have a spare Saito book, I can't recall what it is, but I'm not personally super attached to it, if you're interested. emot-keke

When it comes to merch, especially books, I've had to mentally detach from my possessiveness of them. I've willfully slaughtered probably thousands of dollars worth of artbooks and doujin for the site--it's worth it to have these things high quality and available for everyone, but it makes me sad to see what would be a crazy impressive Utena collection is basically scrap paper. Ah well. emot-rolleyes

Thanks to duplicates, I do have a few untouched books. Namely that amazing Akio tentacle porn doujin and I think an extra copy of Art of Utena or something. And I eventually probably will butcher the manga, as it gets harder and harder to find. I'd rather the resource be available for fans to enjoy than have the actual content of Utena disappear in any reasonable capacity, and over time that will probably happen with the manga if it's not reprinted.

#18 | Back to Top01-21-2016 05:08:41 AM

Rocko52
Wakaba Wrangler

So, my library seems a bit hard up on Utena. I looked through the state's system, (or at least a system that covers most of the state) and it seems they only have vols 1&2, even then they're listed as "check shelf," so they might not even be there. But I guess they have both the full series & the movie as "digital downloads"...wat lol.

Anyways, if it comes down to it, I might just stalk eBay and wait for decent prices to pop up for this. In the meantime, maybe I'll go check out some of that doujin...

#19 | Back to Top01-22-2016 09:48:40 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Oh man. Be careful of the douijin, okay? If it's not dickgirls, it's WEIRDLY MUSCULAR ANTHY or Saionji in a diaper.

Just warning you. emot-gonk

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#20 | Back to Top01-27-2016 10:39:30 PM

Kae-Leah
Saionji Slapper

I really wish the manga will get re-released stateside. It's my favorite version of SKU because it's what introduced me to the franchise, but it's so obscure in the fandom, so there are plenty of SKU fans who've never read it.

Man or woman, it doesn't matter, one of strength and nobility is always a prince-Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena manga volume one

#21 | Back to Top01-28-2016 03:03:48 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Hence why eventually I might just make it available for people.

But yes, the doujinshi is a dark, dark place. I probably shouldn't be hosting so much questionable porn but I feel like it's something about the fandom that needs sharing. It's amazing that I see a developing female character with identity issues and someone else sees a dickgirl. emot-aaa

#22 | Back to Top01-28-2016 03:31:17 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Doublepost.

So I looked around, no manga that's translated on ebay. But a lot of people are selling the picture books from the series and saying that's the manga. If it's got anime images on the cover, it's not the manga!

On Amazon you can get the whole series, some new, the first three for reasonably cheap. The fourth and fifth are ridiculously expensive and I didn't see the movie manga. The new copies are old prints, there's no new ones being made it looks like. I feel like in a couple years this content will virtually disappear, and it has been my lot in life to try to preserve as much of Utena's history as I can. I've saved websites and artbooks and tried to make all this amazing stuff available to people who wouldn't otherwise see it. I think eventually I will take on saving the manga as well, licensing be damned since no one wants it.

#23 | Back to Top01-28-2016 08:06:42 AM

Rocko52
Wakaba Wrangler

Well the doujinshi is very...interesting, ey? Aheh...  school-devil

So I think I'll eventually shell out to read the manga, but probably not for a while. For now I'm content with what I have. But if you do ever scan the manga onto this site, that'd be really great! Of course, it's a shame that you have to destroy the books in the process...if I was in your position I dunno if I'd be able to do it lol. Especially those Utena Artbooks. But I guess you have a stronger will and sense for contributing to the greater good and preservation of Utena.

Seriously though, I hope someone licsenses the series again, but that'll probably never happen. And it'd be amazing if Nozimi could get their hands on the Utena Blu Rays, but that's probably a pipe dream too. Ah well.

#24 | Back to Top01-28-2016 02:18:05 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

An SKU omnibus edition, including the movie manga and full cover artwork ala Dark Horse's Clover collection. emot-biggrin Imagine the possibilities.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#25 | Back to Top01-28-2016 04:16:14 PM

Kae-Leah
Saionji Slapper

I would probably buy an omnibus edition, even though I already own Viz's releases and the first volume in the original Japanese

Man or woman, it doesn't matter, one of strength and nobility is always a prince-Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena manga volume one

Board footer