This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-04-2008 09:29:50 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

The Manga Thread

While I never start new threads, from time to time I've seen mention of manga in the Current Anime and Book threads, usually with a note of "not sure if I should put this here, but..."

So, let's allow manga it's own little place in the Rose Garden.  Currently reading, recommendations, whatever -- it's all welcome!

I'll start off:

I'm currently reading Kare Kano, although admittedly I'm having to put it on hold until I get more volumes.  I'm through the second volume, and found it to be fun and charming.

I'm also working on Angel Sanctuary.  I'm trying to get the courage to start volume 3 now that I have the entire series, but man, it can get rather confusing, particularly when I can't tell some characters apart (or what their sex is.)

I'm also following NANA's Viz release and scanlation releases. I'm actually a little behind on the Viz releases because I didn't realize just how quickly they'd start coming out after it was removed from Shojo Beat.  That's quite a difference!  I'll probably catch up during the next TRSI Viz sale, which will likely be this summer.

I've recently finished Here Is Greenwood, and I really can't recommend that one enough if you're wanting a light, funny, slice-of-life series.  It's only 9 volumes, but alas, it's going OOP so it can be a little challenging to get a hold of.  There's no real plot, just lots of weird episodes within the Greenwood dorm at an all-boys school.  I was surprised how much I liked it, given the lack of many female characters.

And for a recommendation:  TRSI (The Right Stuf International) is currently having a sale on CMX titles.  If you're interested, I would highly recommend snagging Swan, an old shoujo series about ballet.  It's a really charming series with gorgeous art, great characters, and a neat story thus far.

And there we go--we've finally got a manga thread.

#2 | Back to Top03-04-2008 10:29:19 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Re: The Manga Thread

I read very little manga, because it's a lot harder to steal than anime frankly. But I did actually make it through all of Angel Sanctuary by mooching it off of a friend last year. It wasn't bad, but I thought the character of Sara was underdeveloped. Apparently the author agreed with me and tried to fix this at some point, but kinda botched it. I don't want to give anything away by revealing anymore, but I will say that not knowing the gender of the characters is less of an issue than you might think. Very few of them seem to care anyway.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#3 | Back to Top03-04-2008 11:14:38 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I LOVED Koko wa  Greenwood, partially because it was my big translation project in high school. But it is a fabulous off beat series, and wonderful. I've always liked Erika Sakurawazawa's stuff, as well as Ai Yazawa's Paradise Kiss -I can see dollface digging that one with me. dolly, seriously, you should cosplay as Caroline/Yukari. You're both tall, slender, and gorgeous.

And so far, I love Tramps Like Us. I can't reccommend it enough. It's got a strong, well rounded main female character and some fabulous characterizations. I'll write more when I don't have such a shitty keyboard. poptart

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#4 | Back to Top03-04-2008 12:50:45 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

I'm reading a scanlation of Beserk. I've gotten halfway through Vol. 2 and I rather like it... but then again, I adore Hellsing, so no wonder there. I am actually no fan of gratuitous violence in itself (Faces of Death was sickening to me) I seem to rather like those two manga which have loads of it.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#5 | Back to Top03-04-2008 02:56:20 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Cerise wrote:

I'm currently reading Kare Kano, although admittedly I'm having to put it on hold until I get more volumes.  I'm through the second volume, and found it to be fun and charming.

Its a great series, I got all 21 volumes at home, the Arima Arc takes on a very serious tone.

MissMocha wrote:

I LOVED Koko wa Greenwood, partially because it was my big translation project in high school. But it is a fabulous off beat series, and wonderful.

Its very very random but I loved it, I only wished I had the last 2 volumes thou.

#6 | Back to Top03-04-2008 03:15:34 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Cerise wrote:

I'm also working on Angel Sanctuary.  I'm trying to get the courage to start volume 3 now that I have the entire series, but man, it can get rather confusing, particularly when I can't tell some characters apart (or what their sex is.)

That's the same problem I had when I was reading it! emot-rofl

Stormcrow wrote:

I read very little manga, because it's a lot harder to steal than anime frankly.

That's actually how I managed to read Angel Sanctuary.... and how I'm currently reading Angelic Layer.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#7 | Back to Top03-04-2008 03:16:13 PM

Mylene

MissMocha wrote:

I've always liked Erika Sakurawazawa's stuff, as well as Ai Yazawa's Paradise Kiss -I can see dollface digging that one with me. dolly, seriously, you should cosplay as Caroline/Yukari. You're both tall, slender, and gorgeous.

Ooo, I love the five volumes of Sakurazawa works I've read (the ones brought over by Tokyopop).  I also loved ParaKiss, which was quite the treat given that I didn't particularly like the anime much at all.  The only thing the anime really did well, in my opinion, was Isabella.  It just felt like she had more depth in the anime than she did in the manga.

And so far, I love Tramps Like Us. I can't reccommend it enough. It's got a strong, well rounded main female character and some fabulous characterizations. I'll write more when I don't have such a shitty keyboard. poptart

I've got the first 11 volumes of that one, but I haven't had the chance to start it just yet, I'm really looking forward to it though. emot-keke

#8 | Back to Top03-04-2008 08:15:53 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

I am not really a big manga reader but I just loved "Absolute Boyfriend" the story rocked, and if I could afford one I would have it ASAP.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#9 | Back to Top03-04-2008 08:38:56 PM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Great thread idea! I actually read manga moreso than watch anime, mostly because it's portable and cheap. emot-smile

At the moment I'm working through Death note, but I also have some Loveless and Count Cain volumes which I have to read. Count Cain is fun, but not quite as refined as Angel Sanctary. Kaori Yuki uses the Victorian setting well, though.

I hope to start reading nana soon, once I borrow it from a friend. And I've been trying to get through my Fruits Basket manga for months. I loved the series more than I could say, but sort of overestimated my understanding of Japanese and bought a very cheap 19 vol manga set from eBay. It was an amazing deal - $30 for 19 volumes and the entire series on DVD. But it takes me two hours to read one volume. emot-tongue

I read the Kare Kano manga a couple years ago and really enjoyed it, but I think the anime is a much better adaption of the story.(it has that 'gainax' feel to it.)

#10 | Back to Top03-04-2008 10:10:17 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

I bought a Manga series called Jazz and...my God, it was beautiful. It's Yaoi, by the way. It's about a timid doctor and a demanding patient that has fallen head over heels for him. Naoki, the patient, is doing whatever it takes to make the doctor, Narusawa, be with him. During these attemps, Dr. Narusawa submits to Naoki for the simple fact that he's afraid of him. Where could this type of relationship take them? Go check it out and see!

Another good one would have to be Winter Demon. Three ruthless fire demons come to terrorize the young monk Hakuin's village. He's forced to seek help from Fuyu, a snow demon who tormented him a year ago. Fuyu is thrilled to see his little monk again, and has agreed to help if Hakuin becomes his willing slave. Fuyu realizes that he is no match for the fearsome fire demons and soon finds himself in the same positon in which he'd trapped Hakuin the year before. The snow demon starts to realize the error of his ways. He begins to hope that maybe, in time, he can redeem himself to his beloved monk. This is also Yaoi.

Thirdly, Dark Prince is a must read. The nobleman Lowry came to Cordinia to find out why Prince Davor murders boys whose names start with the letter "A". He discovers a myriad of royal secrets: incest, demon worship, matricide...but still no answers on why Davon kills. Or why he stops killing when he finds a desperate young boy named Aeon. This is Yaoi as well.

Next is Yellow. This is a fun one. Taki and Boh share just about everything - their apartment in the city, their job as "snatchers" and even dinner duty. But hot Goh wants to go much deeper undercover with his gorgeous partner. Too bad Taki doesn't swing that way...or does he? If yellow is the warning color, will this team finally end up in-the-red(and in bed)? Yup, Yaoi also.

Another fun one is Man's Best Friend, or Inu Mo Arukeba. When high school student Ukyo recues a stay dog and names it Kuro, he soon learns that he may have found a rare breed. His new dog can talk and magically transform into a hunky human! With his dog now taking the form of a hott man and licking him in various places, what is Ukyo to do?! Yes, Yaoi.

Cute and sweet is what I'd have to say for this next one. It's called Delivery Cupid. Tsubasa is a half human, half angel. Determined to become a full angel, he needs to earn love points match-making as a cupid. He's been failing until now. He is given a mission with the lowst rank that should be esy to complete...right? This book has a total of six stories inside it, and they are all adorable. I think it's worth $12. Yaoi.

Now...onto something that is NOT yaoi. I found this amazing manga last year and have been in love with it ever since. It's called Bizenghast. It tells the story of a lonely little girl named Dinah who lost her parents in a car crash. Ever since then, she's been able to see ghosts and spirits. They torment her, and the only person who brings her peace and happiness is her best friend, a boy named Vincent. After getting roped into a contract where she has to set free the unresting spirits of the dead, Dinah and her town of Bizenghast are never going to be the same. Macob and mystery lie ahead for Dinah and Vincent. Can the two come out of this deal alive? They just have to keep one thing in mind: Not Every Lost Soul Is A Lost Cause.

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#11 | Back to Top03-05-2008 05:47:49 AM

Mylene

BlackRoseVixen wrote:

Now...onto something that is NOT yaoi. I found this amazing manga last year and have been in love with it ever since. It's called Bizenghast. It tells the story of a lonely little girl named Dinah who lost her parents in a car crash. Ever since then, she's been able to see ghosts and spirits. They torment her, and the only person who brings her peace and happiness is her best friend, a boy named Vincent. After getting roped into a contract where she has to set free the unresting spirits of the dead, Dinah and her town of Bizenghast are never going to be the same. Macob and mystery lie ahead for Dinah and Vincent. Can the two come out of this deal alive? They just have to keep one thing in mind: Not Every Lost Soul Is A Lost Cause.

I've considered Bizenghast before, but I'm a bit of a snob and have avoided "world manga" to this point because Dramacon is the only one I've seen a good review on.

Since you seem to read a lot of yaoi, have you read Eerie Queerie?  I recently received it from a friend, and have no idea what I'm about to get myself into.  Should be...weird...given that I'm more of a yuri fan (heck, there are very few het relationships I can stand in manga/anime--I think it's adding the boy to the equation.)

#12 | Back to Top03-05-2008 05:59:57 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

I'm reading scanlations of HEN, which is surprisingly good, because I don't really like the drawing style and there's lots of fanservice. Also, I got hooked on it fairly quickly 'cause it's fun and witty, plus there's enough drama too. I only wish it was translated faster!

Another thing I'm reading is the Mai-Otome manga. It has ridiculous amounts of fanservice but it seems better than the anime. Love the art, too. Other than that, male orientated yuri doesn't appeal to me very much. Maybe I'd like it more if I had a maid fetish, haha!

...And the manga that I actually buy: NANA, probably my favourite manga. But I'm trying to get the Sandman books right now so I'm taking a break from buying manga for the time being.

Also, has anyone read the Kingdom Hearts manga? I haven't played the games, but I'm thinking of buying the manga because it seems decent enough.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#13 | Back to Top03-06-2008 07:15:45 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

I'm much, much more of a manga buyer than that of anime. I must admit though, I cheat sometimes and get scanlations sometimes when I get impatient. I buy the awaiting volume eventually. The American releases are so slow to translate sometimes!

Here's the stuff I read:

NANA - Because we already agreed that it's flippin' sweet!

Ouran High School Host Club - I cheat on this because Viz is too slow! Still, I'm addicted to this series. I'm not liking how it's dragging at the moment though. It's getting interesting though because certain things are developing. Volume 11 and 12 will definately explain what I'm talking about. I hate it when shoujo manga gets too long though. This series better not pull off a Fruits Basket because the plot's been going around in circles. Like I said though, things are definately moving forward.

Someday's Dreamers - This one is all right. It's very touching and heartwarming. There are acutally two different ones: the original and a new arc called Spellbound. The latter is a lot more interesting but you'd have to read both to understand. The final volume of Spellbound should be out in a couple days.

And my favorites:

Kodomo no Omocha - The anime was full of spaz. I didn't like it that much. However, the manga is just beautiful to read and I cried a bunch of times while pouring through the ten volumes. It's quite good.

Chobits - CLAMP's manga are usually always better than the anime counterparts. This one especially. It was one of the early works where they used that new, simplified art style. I remember I got the box for this when the last volume came out. Yes, with the figure!

Planet Ladder - Josei manga. I don't know why I liked this one so much. Probably because it was Josei.

Fruits Basket - I used to despise this because of the popularity. However, it's amazing that it's been going for eight years and four months and 23 volumes. I cheated on this one too. In my opinion, it only gets good halfway through when Tohru isn't quite the airhead she seems to be. That's also the point where the fluffiness seems to end (thank goodness). Very nice and tear-jerking end though.

Ayashi no Ceres - Love this! I think I've been a huge fan ever since it came to the States! Beautiful art by Yuu Watase. I think My art style might have been mostly impred by her (I think the way I draw hair). This one is good. It's got everything everyone on the forum would like.

There are others but I can't seem to remember them all! I have too many in my possession. Scanlations are all right too, however, I'm sure that's a controversial thing like the fansubs. I don't think they're as much of a problem since manga is getting cheaper and cheaper. I think the lowest price I've seen is around $7. That's what most regular books cost nowadays. Remember when manga was nowhere under $10? Remember Viz used to charge $15 for their releases (ie Utena)? I liked the binding on those though. They last a long time.

#14 | Back to Top03-06-2008 12:34:20 PM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

I remember when I went to buy my first manga in high school, and they were $27 each. emot-gonk The American-to-Canadian pricing killed me, so I had to read manga on computer until Tokyopop began releasing their smaller and much more affordable versions.

Heh, I remember being overjoyed when the comic store had a 'sale' and were selling the Utena manga for only $22! I'm still slightly annoyed that you can now buy them for $10...

Well, whatever. I recommend Eerie Queerie for fun, because it's so ridiculous, just as I would recommend Steel Angel Kurumi. These are must reads when you're tired of everything else good and meaningful.

Maarika wrote:

I'm reading scanlations of HEN, which is surprisingly good, because I don't really like the drawing style and there's lots of fanservice. Also, I got hooked on it fairly quickly 'cause it's fun and witty, plus there's enough drama too. I only wish it was translated faster!

HEN was so great for such a fanservice-y series, but they stopped translating it at chapter 15(?), and nobody's touched it since. But, if you find out that they have released new issues, you should definitely post here and let me know. emot-smile

Last edited by Adrasteia (03-06-2008 12:34:53 PM)

#15 | Back to Top03-06-2008 12:36:18 PM

Mylene

Rae wrote:

Kodomo no Omocha - The anime was full of spaz. I didn't like it that much. However, the manga is just beautiful to read and I cried a bunch of times while pouring through the ten volumes. It's quite good.

I read Kodocha this past autumn, and right now I'm working on the anime.  Yeah, the spazzing in the anime just doesn't seem right to me.  The manga was so funny and yet so touching, whereas the anime can still be touching, but it's not particularly amusing to me when it comes to its 'humor.'  The only thing I have against the manga is that final arc.  I really disliked it, felt it was overblown, unbelievable, etc.  I found myself trudging through the last two volumes, just wanting that arc to end.  It's really a shame, because the rest of the series completely blew me away.

Anyway, today I was in the stacks pulling materials that had been requested via interlibrary loan.  I had just picked up a book, and when I turned around, what do I find?  A small collection of manga.  I grabbed the first 3 volumes of Buddha, all the volumes of Imadoki!, The Push Man, and I think something else, but maybe not.  They also have some of The Wallflower which works well for me, as I don't like it well enough to buy, but at the same time kind of want to finish it to see if it improves.  There's not much else there, but I was very happy to find Buddha (too bad volume 6 wasn't there, or I would have gotten volumes 1-8.)

#16 | Back to Top03-06-2008 01:20:11 PM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

! It sounds like you have the exact same job as me - I retrieve books in the university's library to send away to storage/other districts of the school.emot-keke But the only manga I've ever come across is a... unique little work called Hell Baby. It's sort of indescribable. But not good.

I heard Buddha is fantastic, though. My prof last year recommended it to me(seeing as he taught me 'Faust', I mentioned Utena to him.) I'd also like to read Adolf.

#17 | Back to Top03-06-2008 02:53:14 PM

Mylene

Adrasteia wrote:

! It sounds like you have the exact same job as me - I retrieve books in the university's library to send away to storage/other districts of the school.

Until recently I didn't actually retrieve the books, but they had mercy on me after 6 months of setting up deflections in WorldCat and now let me do 'active' things like retrieving books for an hour, scanning, etc. before I work on deflections.  So merciful--setting up deflections was a tedious, repetitive, and absolutely mind-numbing task (although very important for interlibrary loan.)

Er, sorry, back on topic now.  Sounds like Eerie Queerie will be a hoot, which is nice to know.  I enjoy light-hearted fare almost as much as the stuff with real meat to it. emot-keke

#18 | Back to Top03-06-2008 03:07:14 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Rae wrote:

Someday's Dreamers - This one is all right. It's very touching and heartwarming. There are acutally two different ones: the original and a new arc called Spellbound. The latter is a lot more interesting but you'd have to read both to understand. The final volume of Spellbound should be out in a couple days.

I actually am enjoying Spellbound even more than the original story.  Also, I etc-love Kumichi Yoshizuki's artwork, that's the reason I checked out the anime series in the first place... because of the box art.  Then when I saw that the manga was going to be released I was quick to pick that up, and was further happy when I found out that there was a new story set in the same world.

I bought Chobits as it was released; that's a great series too. It's a lot more detailed than the anime, and also it crosses over with Angelic Layer. emot-keke (as a side note for the uninitiated, the Chobits manga is a quasi-sequel to the Angelic Layer manga.  However, virtually none of the connections made it into the respective anime for each.)

...also, volume 2 of First Love Sisters isn't out until near the end of the year... I want to read more now! emot-gonk

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (03-06-2008 03:08:27 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#19 | Back to Top03-06-2008 05:57:19 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Imaginary Bad BugI bought [i wrote:

Chobits[/i] as it was released; that's a great series too. It's a lot more detailed than the anime, and also it crosses over with Angelic Layer. emot-keke (as a side note for the uninitiated, the Chobits manga is a quasi-sequel to the Angelic Layer manga.  However, virtually none of the connections made it into the respective anime for each.)

I did too! I think those were some of the first mangas that were released in the original Japanese format? I know Viz did this with DBZ before that though. Oh! Speaking of those first releases from Tokyopop ...

Mars. I can't believe I forgot to list this one!

#20 | Back to Top03-06-2008 06:28:21 PM

redrice009
Banned

I suggest Hellsing, to people who like fantasy, sci-fi, and/or violence.  The manga now, NOT the anime.

#21 | Back to Top03-06-2008 07:25:17 PM

Mylene

Rae wrote:

Mars. I can't believe I forgot to list this one!

Is that one as good as it sounds?  I've been considering picking it up, but haven't yet.

Anyway, I've started Imadoki!.  Not sure if it's just halting translation or what, but volume one had a lot of problems with being very jerky and not flowing well, but it seems interesting enough, I suppose.  Very Boys over Flowers.

#22 | Back to Top03-06-2008 08:04:30 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Rae wrote:

Imaginary Bad BugI bought [i wrote:

Chobits[/i] as it was released; that's a great series too. It's a lot more detailed than the anime, and also it crosses over with Angelic Layer. emot-keke (as a side note for the uninitiated, the Chobits manga is a quasi-sequel to the Angelic Layer manga.  However, virtually none of the connections made it into the respective anime for each.)

I did too! I think those were some of the first mangas that were released in the original Japanese format?

I believe it was.

I forgot to mention before... Chobits was the first series where I read the manga before watching the anime. emot-keke

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#23 | Back to Top03-06-2008 09:06:12 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Cerise: Yes, Mars is good. I haven't finished it yet though.

I see that a lot here like josei (women's) manga. One other one you might want to read is Planet Ladder. It's pretty interesting.

I think that there should be more English releases of one-shot (single volume) manga. One weird one I read was Dolis. It's colored and the artwork is pretty. It's pretty weird though.

#24 | Back to Top03-06-2008 11:45:19 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Adrasteia wrote:

HEN was so great for such a fanservice-y series, but they stopped translating it at chapter 15(?), and nobody's touched it since. But, if you find out that they have released new issues, you should definitely post here and let me know. emot-smile

There are about 50 chapters out (the fifth volume is being translated at the moment, 3 more to go!). EMS manga is doing the scanlations right now, so have look. (You can also download the the volumes/chapters you've missed).

redrice009 wrote:

I suggest Hellsing, to people who like fantasy, sci-fi, and/or violence.  The manga now, NOT the anime.

Seconded. The manga is rather good, I haven't seen the OVA yet, but I heard they are following the manga more, so here's hoping that it's better than the series was.
And it has suits/uniforms in large quantities. And vampires. And Integra!

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#25 | Back to Top03-07-2008 05:30:37 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Maarika wrote:

Seconded. The manga is rather good, I haven't seen the OVA yet, but I heard they are following the manga more, so here's hoping that it's better than the series was.
And it has suits/uniforms in large quantities. And vampires. And Integra!

Frankly, I prefer the series. The OVA is a perfect example for why following the manga too closely will make anime bad. The only good thing about it is manga-Integra. The animation looks both expensive and crappy, the "funny" SD scenes that work well enough in a comic book completely break the mood of the anime and finally, the plot suffers horribly when the events of comic book format get translated almost directly into animation. And the music that was original and created an excellent mood in the series has been turned into boring and generic in the OVA. I can't understand whose brilliant idea it was to put the only memorable piece in the end credits.

In manga, I recommend almost anything made by Masamune Shirow, though be warned that especially his newer work, like the Man-Machine Interface will take several readings and a great deal of trouble to understand.

In comedy, Rikdo Koshi's Excel Saga wins in all accounts. Unlike the anime, which was hilarious in itself, the manga has a plot and the characters are more than just walking jokes; at times Excel even comes off as intelligent and dryly insightful! It still hasn't lost the funny, either and new characters (i.e. those who didn't make it to the anime) complement the old ones magnificently. For example, you can't appreciate Excel's level-headed side (yes, you read right) before you've been introduced with Elgala.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

Board footer