This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-20-2006 11:02:10 PM

G&Ysnumber1fan
Tenjou Tilter
Website

Who among us has had a life imitating Utena moment?!

Seriously who has had experiences in which in that moment you can relate something to anything having to do with Utena?school-freud

Cause..not meaning to brag or anything, but I am Vice President of Student Activities and well as Director of Communications for my Student Government Association and I was watching Touga and the Student Council doing their usual thing and like...it just dawned on me that me along with the other VPs and President all do the same thing when we are together...except we don't have such cool clothes and we don't duel each other..well with swords anyways....though the blackbox theatre would make for a good dueling arena but I digress. Lol. Seriously..like I am definitely a combo of Miki cause I have to take the minutes of what goes on at the meeting and also I am like Juri cause I am the "realistic thinker" out of the group. Also, like I purposely take the stairs:dance: and listen to Zettai Unmei Moukoushiroku on my cd player cause it's fun....ah I am such a gweeb.
emot-biggrin

Akio..and James Brown(R.I.P.) have two things in common:
1)They are sex machines...
2)They are the only ones that could possibly make jumping over the windshield of a car look effortless..

#2 | Back to Top11-21-2006 01:27:42 AM

Christi_Morelei
Touga Topper
Website

Re: Who among us has had a life imitating Utena moment?!

My life-imitating Utena moment is not so much a moment as a series of moments, all of which were kind of disturbing. This story revolves around hair.

I am a natural blonde; I've had long, thick wavy blonde hair for years. When I first watched SKU around four years ago, I locked onto Nanami immediately because my hair looked exactly like hers. She was, and still is, one of my favorite characters. I cosplayed her several times, because I was kind of in awe that we looked so similar. I also have an older brother; he is tall, skinny, very effeminate looking, and has long red hair.

You can imagine the look on my face once the parallel hit me.

I didn't let it bug me until people started to comment on it-- "Hey, look! You and your brother look just like Nanami and Touga! ... hey, that's kinda weird, you know?" Then it started to get really irksome. I had been getting tired of having the long hair for a while, and called my hairdresser and requested a haircut. I wanted it as short as possible without looking awkward. I also wanted a dye job! What color, she asked, already shocked that I wanted to lop off twelve inches of perfectly good hair. My answer?

Pink!

(It sounded like a good idea at the time. I mean, come on. Pink hair's awesome.)

Know what I looked like when I walked out of the salon?

Yes, you guessed it. I looked just like movie!Utena. I looked in the mirror, and this was my thought process: "Hey, I look like Utena! ..... OH MY GOD I LOOK LIKE UTENA." To make matters even worse, my brother was letting his hair grow out even longer than before. I was so pissed off. I couldn't just walk back in the salon and ask for them to re-dye it, because getting a professional dye job is expensive; and also, I would have been completely pleased with how my hair looked if it hadn't been for the fact that I had a Touga-clone for a brother. (Trust me, my hair looked badass.)

So I had to live with my Utena-look. Fast-forward to six months later, when my hair has started to grow out and the pink dye is fading so that it's barely noticable. I call my hairdresser to set up another appointment. She asks me if I want to dye my hair another color. My answer?

"Hmm... blue!"

So I got my hair cut short in a boy's cut, because I had always wanted to try that, and dyed a bright cerulean blue. I figure this is the last of the Utena hair mishaps.

It's at this point that another thought strikes me: "Hey... you know, [my brother] has been curling his hair lately. And it's been getting lighter with the new shampoo and product he uses. It almost looks... orange. And my hair is short... and blue.

Fuck."

I blame this entire experience on my inability to think ahead; of course I could've considered the idea that switching from blonde to pink to blue would have been like jumping from the frying pan into the fire, but I was too blinded at the time with the idea of changing my hair color. (This is exemplified by the fact that my next hair color after blue was purple. So I had shoulder-length purple hair and my brother had long orange curly hair. I am the queen of foresight, clearly.)

At the moment, I've gone back to pink, and my brother's hair has not gone back to being straight and red. Actually, I've briefly considered trying to convince him to cosplay Juri, because he could pull it off.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." - Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

#3 | Back to Top11-21-2006 01:52:31 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I've had a more-than-moment imitation of the Ruka-Juri-Shiori triangle. I was in love with a girl who's in love with this other guy who's completely changed from when she first knew him but she still loves him or rather the idea of him. She's generally miserable with herself and everything around her, no matter how well she does at everything. I just want to smack her upside the head because it would seem crueler than getting into the guy's pants and showing her that she deserved better.. Which would be hard enough, because he's straight, and unpleasant, because he's hideous.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#4 | Back to Top11-21-2006 06:37:31 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Christi_Morelei wrote:

INSANE SAGA OF THE HAIR

What the christ! emot-confused

You're missing my favorite characters. emot-mad

As for me, hmm. Swap out the genders and don't account for looks at all and I grew up with Touga. I was Saionji. emot-frown
I don't recall any attempted molestation, and we were a little young for her to pimp the whole school, but it was very much a WHY MUST SHE ALWAYS BEAT ME GRR I WANT TO KILL MY BEST FRIEND RAWR (punch randomly at things although in my case never people) kind of deal. Glory for another in outshining those close to them, etc. She was even student council president in high school, although since no one mentioned any dueling game or seductive authority figure, I had the good sense to not compete with her anymore by then. Oh, and it wasn't kendo. It was dance. emot-gonk

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#5 | Back to Top11-21-2006 12:44:40 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I'm willing to estimate that two out of three people who watch Utena can relate to Juri in some way. Even I do. When I was in middle school, a friend of mine abruptly decided that she didn’t want to hang around with me anymore. For some reason, she felt the need to start telling lies about me to a boy who I was also friends with so that he would stop being friends with me as well. I didn't obsess over it for three years, but it still wasn’t a great experience.

Edit: What is wrong with me today? I read this entire thread, and it still didn't click to me that I had misread the title. emot-gonk

Last year, I spontaneously became very good at Math, and so I was at the top of my class. The entire experiences left me thinking, "I'm Miki!" I'm not a genius or a prodigy, but it was the time when Miki helped Anthy and Utena study for a math test that left me thinking that.

Last edited by Razara (11-21-2006 07:25:28 PM)

#6 | Back to Top11-21-2006 04:04:26 PM

Christi_Morelei
Touga Topper
Website

Giovanna wrote:

You're missing my favorite characters. emot-mad

Well, green hair is hard to pull off; after a certain period of time, it looks like there's moss growing on your head and nobody wants that. Also, I don't think they make permanent hair dye in Akio's shade of hair, whatever shade that is. Silver? Some combination of lavendar and periwinkle? It's never one single stable color. I did have red hair for a while, though. It looked horrible on me. Not exactly my best decision ever.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." - Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

#7 | Back to Top11-21-2006 04:26:12 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

The nearest two things I can remember that reminds me of SKU are:

1: A poster of a castle what was posted on the ceiling coming loose due to the heat and falling by my feet.  Not exactly the same level of danger as what happened in the episode 'The Castle said to hold Eternity' but hey! emot-rolleyes

2: While it wasn't exactly a bunch of Elephants hanging five on surfboards, I do recall watching an elephant-seal pushing a surfboard and a bunch of other tricks at Seaworld once.emot-dance

#8 | Back to Top11-21-2006 05:46:29 PM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Razara wrote:

I'm willing to estimate that two out of three people who watch Utena can relate to Juri in some way.

Hmm, it wouldn't shock me, although I'm sure its to different degrees. I certainly can relate to her, I'm still hopelessly in love with someone I don't have a chance with and who is a bit cruelly innocent. I also almost got a locket for their photo, before deciding that'd be a little too weird - I do, however, carry a very small print I made of a photo I took of them around with me in my wallet, tucked in among the dollar bills and change.

On a different note, I can relate to Utena's desire to be a prince - I can't say I ever exactly wanted to be a prince, but I never wanted to take the role of damsel in distress, and I have always wanted to be able to defend those who I care about or those who are weaker than I am. I've beaten up some of my friends' exes emot-keke; For a while I was the Utena to my friend's Anthy, with her boyfriend starring as Akio, although she was never the empty doll that Anthy was.

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#9 | Back to Top11-21-2006 06:37:04 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Around this time last year I did a massive Utena rewatch after an almost two year long dry period and got really heavily into the fandom again. And like the day after I'd finished watching the last episode it was time for the winter visual art show. So I went, of course, and I was looking at the pieces and one of my best friends from the visual arts department had this huge drawing up. And she's never seen Utena in her life. Or even heard of it. BUT.

The main subject of her piece was this giant, upside-down castle.

It was the weirdest fucking thing ever.

Me: BLLAHH??

Umm...as far as actual life experiences, though...I haven't really had any direct parallels...but there's definitely a lot of emotional relatability for me. I have this weird feeling itching in the back of my mind that things have definitely happened that have made me think "this reminds me of Utena!" but I can't pinpoint them...so...

My best friend, though...her ex-girlfriend was the one who originally introduced her to the series, and said girlfriend had dark-ish skin and purple hair. EHH???

#10 | Back to Top11-22-2006 12:15:09 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

A painting of an upside-down castle, by an artist who has never heard of Utena, let alone seen it, is officially the coolest thing EVER. I mean, upside-down castles are cool in that creepy swords-of-hate sort of way, but the fact that it's insinuating itself on the brain of someone who you'd never expect to think of it? It just shows how universal Utena really is.

Razara, I think you're dead on about Juri, which is probably the biggest reason why she's so popular.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

Board footer