This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top10-16-2006 09:23:42 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: [Welcome] Introduce yourself here!!

ZSPACE wrote:

You sound like my kind of guy. I have done almost everything sexually you can think of  ( i know utena is perfect for me) and i have no boundaries.

Wow it's like I'm really at Ohtori Academy!

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#27 | Back to Top10-16-2006 09:30:38 PM

ZSPACE
Touga Topper

Giovanna wrote:

ZSPACE wrote:

You sound like my kind of guy. I have done almost everything sexually you can think of  ( i know utena is perfect for me) and i have no boundaries.

Wow it's like I'm really at Ohtori Academy!

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND NOW YOU SHALL ALL CALL ME AKIO!!!!!!!!!!!!

#28 | Back to Top10-16-2006 09:32:07 PM

Shirono
New Student
Website

Shirono here!

Painter in Portland, Maine, United States. 

I relish in the fact that I had Utena on Fansubbed VHS casettes before the American DVDs (not that it didn't stop me from buying the DVDs when they came out!)  And I also remember when empty movement had a layout other than the one its got now.  Oh snap!

No, I'm kidding.  I love Gio and Yasha.  From afar, but its love just the same.

The first doujinshi I ever produced was an Utena one! Back in 2000, so its long since embarassing (and I mailed a copy to Giovanna because EM provided all my source material!).  I've stopped illustrating and gone back to oil painting, so I haven't done any pretty Utena drawings in a long time.  But I'm sure some of it is still on Empty Movement's fandom pages... and my last year's body of work were watercolors of effeminate men with swords...if you're interested, check the website, I won't be so obnoxious to advertise it here...

I've always been active on the net...I remember the days of, what was it?  RoseRevolution?  When EZ Board was big, we did a bunch of RPing, and fought over the possesion of a female Miki...now I spend my time at the LJ community RoseLinedcoffin... where a year or two ago I made illustrations of all the active members as duellists!  I almost forgot about that... and I hope this forum will become busy, because we pretty much all reference Empty Movement anyway.

Utena is forever my favorite anime, and a big shaper of my life.  I found solice in high school because I was a lesbian and connected with Juri (who is forever my favorite character), and the weight of the ending of the series affected quite a bit of my philosophy since.

I look forward to joining you all here!

(I also look forward to bombarding you with my AMVs, wallpapers, avatars, and fanarts... but I'll get you to like me before I attack you all... I promise to be considerate!)

Pleased to be here!
-Shirono

#29 | Back to Top10-16-2006 09:40:05 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Hi, I'm Aileene and... like Utena... As I assume pretty much everyone here does too. It's really the only anime I watch, and I've been watching it for FAR too long. I also like to watch the Chinese version for reasons unknown, but do muchly prefer the original.

I like to draw fanart, but I never end up scanning anything... My favourite character would have to be Ruka. I study Interior Environmental Design at my very Ohtori-esque college and hope to make it to architecture after I leave here. I've started a bunch of costumes from the show, but never seem to finish... mostly out of pure laziness. I USED to like to cook until I became allergic to most of my favourite foods. ~___~ I'm 19 and live in Texas, where it is far to hot and sunny for living methinks.

#30 | Back to Top10-16-2006 10:13:22 PM

Toulouse
Saionji Slapper

Hello all. I guess I do the whole introduction thing. Yay. I am a bored 19 year old who obviously likes Utena. Yeah....never been good at this introduction thing. ^.^'

#31 | Back to Top10-16-2006 10:27:53 PM

Perfect Verse
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Hello, everyone.

I'm Mindy... I'm almost 22 and I live in a suburb of Houston, Texas.  I'm going for my associate's in Medical Imaging, which will make me an x-ray technologist eventually.  I used to be an animation student in Edinboro University of Pennslyvania.  It didn't work out.  Somehow, I had a premonition that having an art degree wasn't going to get me out of my parents' house and living on my own right away, which is my goal.

I've always liked animated stuff, so becoming an anime fan was a natural step after I discovered a local Hastings that actually had dubbed tapes of Ranma 1/2 back in 1996, which is really unusual when the only anime on TV was Dragonball Z and Sailormoon when it wasn't cancelled or renewed.  Oh god, I feel so old since I can remember discovering that an actual manga magazine, Mixxzine, was going to be published in the US, and they were going to translate Sailormoon.  I've been an officer in two anime clubs and a Japanese club, and I started going to conventions until I moved away from people to go to cons with.  Currently, I'm more of a manga person since I've seen a lot of anime and it's started to blend together.  There's only so many shows about male teenage losers suddenly being surrounded by hot, submissive women that I can watch.

I should probably say something about Utena... I first saw it fansubbed a couple of years ago and been addicted ever since.  I don't really like any one character in particular, which I'm told is unusual.  I really wish Be-Papas had had a bigger animation budget, but you can't except that for such a niche and unusual show.  I like to dream about this by starting vectors of Giovanna's scans and not finishing them.

Also, people should make wallpapers that work on both PC and Mac.  I hate having to reverse them and the text is backwards, when the creator obviously put a lot of effort into it.

#32 | Back to Top10-16-2006 10:59:53 PM

Yamino
New Student

Hi guys.  I'm a huge fan of Empty Movement.  I have referred often to huge gallery and scripts, so thanks for that.

I'm Italian/American and have lived in Italy and Austria most of my life, but I'm right now in Georgia studying Sequential art (aka comics.)  I speak English, Italian, German and French (in order of fluency) and can understand quite a bit of Spanish and a little Japanese.  I like the Italian Dub of Utena better than the original... Maybe it's because that's the first way I saw it, but I really do think the voices are better.  I just get really sick of high pitched voices (especially Shiori, jesus) and the Italian dub did a good job of keeping the voices realistic while still very true to the character.  That, and they didn't change the names (although Juri's name in Italian is pronounced "Yuri"... Awww. etc-love )

My favorite SKU characters are Juri and Nanami.  And Kozue.  Unlike most rabid Juri fans, I don't think Shiori is evil, just misunderstood.

Hmm... I'm too tired to think of anything else.

P.S. Giovanna, I have an aunt with your name.  I don't like her very much but I hope you're cooler than her.emot-dance

Last edited by Yamino (10-16-2006 11:09:03 PM)

#33 | Back to Top10-17-2006 12:04:16 AM

Almaser
Qualified Duellist

*waves* Hi there.

I'm Almaser, a student of Linguistics at university in Brisbane, Australia. I've been in this country almost my entire life, but for last year when I lived with a family in Osaka, while studying at a university there.

I'm functionally fluent in Japanese (I received my 2nd Level Proficiency early this year), so every now and then I pick up my lance and charge at the windmills of Seazer Lyrics. I mostly produce translations that have already been done quite competently on cantarella cookie, but it's really just an enjoyable pastime, until I get my hands on some proper copies of the albums. (Hrm, birthday coming up...)

I didn't really think about what I was going to say, so I'm just going to sneak into the dirty forum now. See you all there:wink:

#34 | Back to Top10-17-2006 12:13:18 AM

Mysteria
New Student

Hi, guys. I'm Mysteria. I'm nineteen, and a college student at New Mexico State University. I've been an Utena fan for I don't even know how long... My guess is since around 2000? It took me forever to get through the entire series, though, because my mother wouldn't let me order fansubs, so I had to wait for the domestic release. But eventually I did see the end of it, and all was good.

Mikage is my favorite character from anything ever. I play him (along with Wakaba) at Utena_RPG on Livejournal. A long time ago I also made a community dedicated to him, intending it to be a directory of sorts of different places where black rose goodness could be found, but since I haven't had the time to actually do anything with it since, those plans have fallen by the wayside. emot-keke;; Oh, well. At any rate, I know some of you know me from there.

I've just introduced a friend of mine to the glory of Utena, so I've gone back on an Utena kick lately. I expect this forum will become my new favorite place to visit when procrastinating.

#35 | Back to Top10-17-2006 01:09:31 AM

Nariel
Miki Molester

Hi there! I'm Nariel, I'm a girl who loves SKU. That would be why I am here. I am watched the series over and over obsessing alot. I have been haunted by dreams of SKU, where I was once simultaneously Anthy and Utena. It was weird. Might have been Akio sex somewhere too...I cry so much at the end of the series every time I see it! But the Nanami episodes make me laugh so much it's ok. Tomagoh, tomagoh, watashi no tomagoh...heehee!

I took psychology and philosophy at school so yes, I'm loving every bit of analysis you can throw at me! Eeep, favourite characters...hmmm. Thats hard, well I love Juri, because she's a bitch and she's brilliant. I love the Chu Chu frog immensly. I love all the brilliant caharcters in SKU but there are only 2 I think who I have a teeny tiny distaste for. Mikage is annoying and I'm not too keen on Akio, because you know, the whole 'he'd do it with my whole family if he got the chance' thing is a little off-putting.

I watched the film and it was wonderful in it's utter scariness. I saw the Utena car and my first reaction to it was: That's a lobster. A large pink lobster. I thought it was being cooked whent he rust came on. Then I realised! Raw lobsters will bring revolution to the world! So I want to be people's friends and yes generally talk to me about everything! Nice to meet you all!

Your smileys are freaky...in a good way. I think.

Fluffy! I know you! *waves frantically and embarassingly*

Urm, I think I'm the olny English African-ish person here. Very complicated story about my origins. But not really.

Last edited by Nariel (10-18-2006 12:35:54 AM)

The ruler of the universe has spoken.

#36 | Back to Top10-17-2006 02:40:44 AM

Crow
New Student

Hi! I'm Crow, an 18 year old Chemistry student (and engineering school dropout, haha) from Brussels, Belgium. I sort of fail at having a life outside of Teh Intarwebz (TM) so I won't mention that.

I'm... rather new to the Utena fandom. And by that I mean that I only watched the series last summer, but it quickly became my number one anime. As far as characters go, I'd say my favorites are Juri, Shiori and Kozue, but I don't really have a strong preference for anyone, those three are just the ones I find most interesting.

#37 | Back to Top10-17-2006 06:47:58 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

Hi all, though I usually refer to myself as Tenjou on the web, I guess I better to use another nickname here.emot-rolleyes (I hate to be referred as other names, but I will get myself used to it here)
Well then, call me Trespasser.

I am from Hong Kong, an engaged woman, longing to resign from work for a few months.:(As I am engaged, I am putting some effort to lose some weight, so that I would look better in photos.emot-wink

I think probably SKU would be my favourite anime for the rest of my life. I am still trying hard to *feel* the messages lying behind the scenes.

I like Tenjou Utena best in the whole series, yet I feel I am most like Juri in personality. (Yeah, I like her, also)

I am considering to let my children (if I would have, that is) to watch the whole SKU series when they reach around eleven or twelve years old.emot-biggrin

I might have talked too much, so I shall end now this time.emot-dance

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#38 | Back to Top10-17-2006 08:05:41 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Hello!
I'm the first (and most likely the only) Estonian on this board. My name is Maarika (I suck at making up usernames). So you can call me Maarika. I first saw Utena this summer so I'm fairly new here, too. I'm still studying and fortunately this is my last high school year, after that I'm not sure what I'll be studying.

I love drawing and painting, but because school takes away majority of my time, I haven't had a chance to do that recently. *sigh* Which make me sad, because I have so many unfinished projects, including my comic, Akio & Touga fanart and other random things. And more Utena/Anthy fanart (because I find it hard to draw either of them separately). But be warned that I'm still not very good at anime!

Yes. I think that's all I can think of right now. Oh, and it's very nice to know there's a SKU forum now. YAY!

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#39 | Back to Top10-17-2006 08:54:56 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Evening all, my name is Ronen and I live in a country town that thinks it’s a capital known as Adelaide.  etc-wankdude

I first heard about SKU at the end of last century and over time, I have read many essays and reviews about the series and a couple of years ago, I was able to gain my first taste of Utena when the movie came out on DVD.  I loved many aspects of the movie (even thou as a whole, the movie was kinda disappointing) enough to want to see the anime and read the manga. etc-love

Thanks to Youtube, I was finally able watch the Japanese subs of Utena from episodes 01 to 39 emot-keke.  My favourite characters would have to be Juri (Great swordsmanship skills and groovy orange hair), Utena (She gets to become a prince without turning into a boy…unlike me) and surprisingly, Nanami (Normally, I can’t stand girls like her, but she grew on me emot-keke)

Out of the guys, I like Mikage (Who would have guessed that a guy could have pink hair and still look manly?) and anime Akio (Not the fruity assed one who needs Rohypnol just to score with a girl.)

Food wise, I have the fondness for musk flavoured candies, Jaffas, mash potatoes with chicken gravy and super-tender strips of corned silverside.

I seem to have a thing for anime or manga that features gender confusion as part of or central to the storyline.

Adobe Photoshop is my favourite computer toy, (that and GTA San Andreas).  I just love finding anime/manga pics and altering them to my personal tastes.

#40 | Back to Top10-17-2006 09:06:26 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Tamago wrote:

Food wise, I have the fondness for musk flavoured candies, Jaffas, mash potatoes with chicken gravy and super-tender strips of corned silverside.

I.... I've never had these musk candies of which you speak. Or Jaffas. And what is this corned silverside???

Oh god I'm so confused emot-confused I've never even heard of these things, how can this be?

I need to try these things. It's the school-chef in me.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#41 | Back to Top10-17-2006 09:47:55 AM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

*gasp* Bonnie and Yamino are here! *waves*

Hello, everyone! I'm Frau Eva, and I've been lurking around Utena fandom for...an ungodly long time. Utena was the first anime I ever bought. I was a pathetic moonie in junior high school at the time, and seeing "From the director of Sailor Moon" made me get it. Yeah, sad. What awaited me was a mind-blowing, life-altering experience. Utena will always be my favorite series. I love all the characters, the way it builds on and obliterates the fairy tales it draws from, and the symbolism always makes me wet. etc-wankgirl I love the series and movie the best, but the retarded manga does introduce some cool concepts relating to the Prince and Akio that I'd like to play around with. The musical burns the brain. I primarily write fanfiction, of which some of you may have seen on this glorious website. Some of my stories are also apparently available in Italian somewhere on the interwebs.

Right now, I am a student at Guilford College(Go Fighting Quakers!), but I grew up in Louisiana and am ethnically Cajun. I'm majoring in English(no wonder such love of symbolism, eh?) and Sociology, with minors in Communications and East Asian Studies. Suffice to say...I'm often busy. emot-gonk I hope to eventually use this to get an evil, evil Media job forcing you all to buy products you neither want nor need. Oh, and hopefully writing short stories and/or novels on the side. I've been in two geek clubs, the high school one I created and acted as sole dictator in. At the college geek club, I plan our yearly con' trip.

I enjoy torturing myself with writing, ruling my godlike power over my village of Sims, dying my hair crazy colors while I still can, pontificating, and tacking up crazy pictures on my boyfriend's wall. I'm pretty good at drawing, but my absolute lack of Photoshop skills ensures that any fanart stays in the sketch phase. Oh, and Amy Tan has signed my boob. emot-dance

Hat Mafia Member

#42 | Back to Top10-17-2006 09:50:24 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Yasha wrote:

Tamago wrote:

I.... I've never had these musk candies of which you speak. Or Jaffas. And what is this corned silverside???

Oh god I'm so confused emot-confused I've never even heard of these things, how can this be?

I need to try these things. It's the school-chef in me.

http://www.aussiefavourites.com.au/cornershop/images/musksticks250.jpg Musk Sticks as they are called are pink semi-soft candy sticks with a ridged cross-section. Their flavour and aroma is kinda like chewing a sweet tasting musk perfumed chewie. (Its hard to explain better unless you tried them yourself)

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/cooking/CSBrineX.jpg  And as for corned silverside, Silverside is the name of cut of beef from the hindquarter of a cow, just above the leg cut. Corned Silverside is a slab of Silverside that is first pickled in brine and then cooked by simmering. school-chef

When I cook Corned Silverside(approx 1.5kg/3lbs), I first boil it for an hour in a large pot to get rid of most of the excess salt, I then tip out the salty water and put in fresh water, add a splash of white vinegar, a fistfull of brown sugar and an onion.  Then I bring it to a boil and simmer for a few hours until the meat is so tender, you can break off pieces of it with a fork. Its great even when its cold as you can pull off strings of beef to eat. emot-keke

Edit: Replaced missing picture.

Last edited by Tamago (05-18-2007 03:09:26 AM)

#43 | Back to Top10-17-2006 10:03:22 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

That sounds awesome etc-wankgirl

I've gotta try making it. Post a thread next time you make it, maybe? I'd love to see what to do with it.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#44 | Back to Top10-17-2006 10:08:35 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Yasha wrote:

That sounds awesome etc-wankgirl

I've gotta try making it. Post a thread next time you make it, maybe? I'd love to see what to do with it.

If you mean like the omelette thingy post you did? Well if I can ever find that disc again that allows me to upload pictures from my cameraphone to my new laptop, I might just do that. emot-keke

#45 | Back to Top10-17-2006 11:33:36 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Frau! etc-love *waves!* Glad you got your icon to work. It's pretty. emot-dance

Hehe, thankfully I didn't know that the Utena anime was by the director of Sailor Moon, otherwise I would have ran and hid. XD;

..Wow, a lot of Utena fans know how to cook really well. XD *has the culinary taste and skill of a can of tuna*

#46 | Back to Top10-17-2006 11:57:00 AM

Kohaku
New Student
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

*has the culinary taste and skill of a can of tuna*

::joins the club:: emot-biggrin

I can't cook worth beans. Except for, you know. Ramen and stuff.

One does not simply walk into Wal-Mart. There is evil there that does not sleep.

#47 | Back to Top10-17-2006 12:04:16 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Frau! etc-love *waves!* Glad you got your icon to work. It's pretty. emot-dance

Hehe, thankfully I didn't know that the Utena anime was by the director of Sailor Moon, otherwise I would have ran and hid. XD;

..Wow, a lot of Utena fans know how to cook really well. XD *has the culinary taste and skill of a can of tuna*

Yay, I'm happy too! It apparently righted itself randomly. emot-biggrin Oh, the things we had to amuse ourselves with in the olden days of anime fandom. All they had was Dragonball and Sailor Moon, and WE WERE GRATEFUL! We walked uphill both ways in blinding snow just to get to Suncoast Video and WE LIKED IT!

Don't feel bad about cooking. All the people in North Carolina think I'm insane with the way I've been taught to cook. They think I spice things like a smoker, and I think everything is horribly bland. And Cajun food has no room for vegetarians, i.e. 1/3 of my friends. emot-gonk But anyone can cook with a good recipe and some dedication. And...everyone screws up something stupid at some point. emot-keke

Hat Mafia Member

#48 | Back to Top10-17-2006 12:29:51 PM

Caboose
New Student

Heya everyone!

My name's Sophie, and I'm the chick who made that Sonoda Keiko shrine ("Inférieure"), which Gio graciously offered to host, and which hasn't been updated in a billion years (why is it even still alive? emot-aaa). Mostly because I was lazy and I didn't think anyone cared *sniff*.

Anywho...I'm 19, Canadian, and currently attending university, in a science program. Which confuses everyone who knows me, because they all think I should be in visual arts.

I discovered SKU in all its glory back in 2000. Although I haven't been an active member in the SKU fandom community (I didn't even know there still WAS one), I'm hoping to change that.

So...yeah. I probably would've written more about myself if I didn't have 3 midterms coming up. Gotta get back to studyin'!

Taa!

#49 | Back to Top10-17-2006 12:59:09 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I'm Razara. It's nice to meet you.

My interests include Shoujo Kakumei Utena, or more specifically, Shiori... And just by saying that I'm sure that I've made myself an enemy to quite a few people on this fourm. Not that I mind, of course. I've always wanted to debate Shiori's motives. :3 I've been aspiring to write an essay about her for a while now, so I have a lot to say on the matter... A lot... Too much, really. I'm a bit obsessed. e_e

I should also mention that I absolutely love symbolism. Tracking down and deciphering symbolism is practically my hobby, that and writing fanfictions.

Other than that, there really isn't much to say about me.

#50 | Back to Top10-17-2006 01:35:22 PM

ferret
New Student
Website

hi everyone, i'm dan. emot-smile let's see... i'm canadian, currently stumbling my way through college. gunna be a schoolteacher, i am. school-eng101 (majoring in biology, minoring in japanese.) my poor students. if i teach japanese, do you think it'll be a good idea to expose them to utena? yes, i realize that's a rhetorical question on this forum.

i started getting into utena about five years ago by watching fansubs (this was back when the future of any DVDs after the student council arc was still in limbo). after watching the series i was able to watch the musical, and i loved it to death. before i even got into utena i was a huge seramyu (sailor moon musical) fan... and still am, really. i love the utena musical more than i probably should, actually. i prefer musical akio to movie akio, though. but yeah, after the musical, i eventually got around to seeing the movie. i can happily say shoujo kakumei utena is my favourite anime, and i don't see anything overtaking it.

my favourite character is nanami. never have i gone from hating a character to loving a character in such a way. i'm proud to own the fanlisting for her (omgshamelessplugi'msorry), and it was one of the earliest SKU fanlistings made, in fact. other characters i like are shiori (also got the fanlisting for her), kozue, and akio. pretty much all the characters that any kind of "mainstream" fan would immediately dismiss as a whore and/or bitch. i also have this strange love/hate relationship with saionji and ruka. and i've always hated touga thoroughly (except musical and movie touga, of course).

a word about akio. i sort of had this vague interest in him the first time i watched the series. then i discovered the akio site on here. my love for him grew exponentially after that. *insert akio penis erection joke here* etc-wankdude so... thanks gio. emot-smile

*waves to onsenmark* i know you. emot-wink how dare this wonderful forum distract us from maplestory! did i mention that i snagged the character name "akio" on there? too bad i use it as a mule...

Last edited by ferret (10-17-2006 01:37:26 PM)

Board footer