This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top05-01-2016 11:05:31 AM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Re: Weird hang-ups that you have

In that same vein, I immediately dislike a show where a comical misunderstanding occurs, causing whacky hijinks for the whole run of the episode. Especially when it can easily be fixed by asking, "Hey, are you that evil crime boss who's been keeping the city in a constant state of fear?"

The Flintstones was my kryptonite back when I was a kid because of that.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#27 | Back to Top06-07-2016 02:06:58 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I have some weird grudge against hairdryers. I just don't like them. I don't like the sound. The heat. The effort of the thing, when hair will dry just fine in its own due time.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#28 | Back to Top06-09-2016 10:04:23 AM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I watch quite a lot of K-drama despite finding the bulk of it truly annoying but it is a great way of keeping in contact with the language and the performance is almost always topnotch even when the writing is less than stellar.
With that said, I know that sugary romance is not for me so I have only myself to blame if I spend most of the time rolling my eyes as I watch yet more teary eyed heroines moping about whatever. But there is one thing in K-drama that drives me absolutely insane and that has nothing to do with taste or demographics.
Those bloody flashbacks. Every. Single episode.

It is not just that the flashbacks are so common they take up almost as much screen time as the actual action, what has me ripping out my hair is how utterly useless they are. A flashback from a scene that took place less than a minute prior is not even flashback, it is needless repetition. When this happens several times in the same episode it starts to actually hinder the narrative.

The same flashback will also be recyled over and over again to the point I grow to hate the characters involved and wish them a long, slow, death.

I am sure part of the reason they virtually all series resort to flashback mills is because they must pad the often thin plots. But still, surely they could do something else- anything else, almosy. I feel as if the writers were aiming to capture an audience suffering from severe Alzheimers.

#29 | Back to Top06-10-2016 09:19:36 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

I have some weird grudge against hairdryers. I just don't like them. I don't like the sound. The heat. The effort of the thing, when hair will dry just fine in its own due time.

I'm like this with curlers.  Curled hair is sweet as fuck, and every time I'm like, using a curling iron won't suck hardcore and I will be good at it and everything will be okay.  But they are cumbersome to use, I burn myself, the curls don't hold no matter what products I use, and I have such thick hair the whole process takes an hour.  Like when you know you hate a food, but every once awhile you'll crave it for no reason, and despite knowing better you'll eat it, just to remember that yeah, you don't like it.  This is me and curling irons.

#30 | Back to Top06-10-2016 09:55:42 PM

maridaberri
Miki Molester

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

I have to hit pause when someone's about to be humiliated or embarrassed in a movie or show. I put books down for it.

I can watch hardcore sex in a room with friends and not blush, sit through splattery gore in a theater, but be it Utena or Teen Witch, if someone's going to be humiliated by someone reading their love letter, I just die a little right then.

I can relate to this. I feel like when someone is being humiliated in a movie or book it makes me relive every moment I've ever been embarrassed. Also, it makes me upset that people could be so cruel.

#31 | Back to Top08-20-2016 10:17:32 AM

pagetheplush
Juri Jeerer
Website

For some reason if people chew with their mouth open it drives me up the goddamned wall. It has the same affect as nails on a chalkboard to me and makes me really peeved. This only started happening a couple years ago, and I'm not sure what caused it. Maybe it's because I used to be scolded for it, but now the people who used to get mad at me now stopped caring and do it all the time. emot-confused The only thing that bothers me more is when I don't notice it and someone brings it up so then I can't stop focusing on it again. emot-gonk

🌹Let's become like rose petals, blowing free!🌹

#32 | Back to Top08-24-2016 01:19:40 AM

revoutena
New Student

People who elongate sections of words

I have a cousin who says "Yeaaaaaaaah" all the time and it drives me absolutely insane.emot-gonk

Board footer