This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top04-14-2007 07:16:26 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Re: Mikage: Is him an imaginary living body?

I have evidence that Professor Nemuro could have used Poptarts to start the big fire.

Strawberry Pop-Tart Blow-Torches
The article below shows how it is possible to turn a Poptart into an incendiary device.

http://www.pmichaud.com/toast/

#27 | Back to Top04-16-2007 09:30:53 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Epi_lepsia wrote:

Okay, in order:

YamPuff wrote:

Epi_lepsia wrote:

poptart i love you poptart

Love me more. emot-mad

anthropoperipherism poptartpoptartpoptart COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT.

emot-aaa That makes a lot of sense!!

More love? How much more?
poptartpoptartpoptartpoptart
poptartpoptartpoptart
poptartpoptart
poptart
poptartpoptart
poptartpoptartpoptart
poptartpoptartpoptartpoptart
poptartpoptartpoptart
poptartpoptart
poptart

Yampuff, you are talking with Epi emot-biggrin i really doubt that somebody enjoys this more than me. I'm a latin lover, androgynous latin lover and i have that Miki/Kozue hairdo play so... you can ask whatever you want school-devil

emot-danceemot-danceemot-danceschool-devilschool-devilschool-devil Good answer.

Tamago wrote:

I have evidence that Professor Nemuro could have used Poptarts to start the big fire.

Strawberry Pop-Tart Blow-Torches
The article below shows how it is possible to turn a Poptart into an incendiary device.

http://www.pmichaud.com/toast/

And suddenly it all makes sense.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#28 | Back to Top04-16-2007 10:51:06 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Don't forget the Translation Notes wrote:

"given the name Anthropoperipherism."
I don't think such a term really exists, but the Japanese "jindousetsu" seems to be a made-up term analogized from "chidousetsu" (heliocentricism) and "tendousetsu" (geocentricism).

"Knowledge is born, the encounter, then a void."
The lyrics sheet uses a wrong kanji for "utsuro" (void). That could be intentional, though.

"a speleomorph that goes on living."
"Speleomorph" is our made-up term for the Japanese "kuudou keitai", which sounds like a technical term

Incandescent darkness and birthed puppets

This doesn't mean anything.  In the sense that these are oxymorons.

oxymoron: A rhetorical figure in which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in a deafening silence and a mournful optimist. / The conjunction of words which, at first view, seem to be contradictory or incongruous, but whose surprising juxtaposition expresses a truth or dramatic effect, such as, cool fire, deafening silence, wise folly, etc.

Puppets aren't born, they're inanimate objects.  The juxtaposition leads me to think:  Basically, darkness is all he can see and he is under the illusion that, as a puppet, he has life.  Darkness in the sense of lack of illumination/truth, illusion, and false life.

Are named, anthropoperipherism

As pointed out, likely the opposite of anthropocentrism.  But there aren't any references to this being a "real" word.

Anthropocentrism is the idea that, for humans, humans must be the central concern, and that humanity must judge all things accordingly: Anthropos (the term, like "human", refers to both men and women) must be considered, looked after and cared for, above all other real or imaginary beings. Anthropocentrism is a secular, rational and realistic perspective that is closely related to humanism.

The above things "are named" anthropoperipherism it--they are anthropoperipheristic things.  Heh.

Pulling the strings of the world is a single existence
For the others, an imaginary puppet-craft

Is that a god or a puppet master?  The song is expressing this viewpoint, but is it agreeing?  Who are "the others"?  Are they misguided--if so, in comparison to whom?

Subzero darkness and birthed creatures
Correlated, anthropoperipherism

Cold darkness, that speaks of isolation. Birthed "creatures".  Unknown if these are human, animal, or mythological.  But apparently they correlate with anthropoperipherism.  So their humanity is unimportant.

On the natural stage are the units of existence
Comprised of an imaginary creature-craft

We have Seazer's customary reference to "life as a stage" and "units of existence."  This is fairly cold and somewhat scientific.  Like labeled bottles containing "existence."  Imaginary creature-craft refers back to imaginary puppet-craft.  But now it seems like it's saying "creation" and either "fate" or "free will" are imaginary.

Words are born, the encounter, then a hesitation
Knowledge is born, the encounter, then a void
O where am I, when am I

This is the attempt of existence at interacting with other existence.  It's awkward, it's unfulfilling, and the existence loses sense of itself (if it had any to begin with).  This reminds me of the Other in psychological or metaphysical sense--maybe Sartre is closest.

Spell, incantation, mystery, prayer, myself
Stage destiny magic mirror

I see this as a list of "imaginary" things.  I am like a spell, an incantation, a mystery, a prayer--unphysical.  The reference to the mirror again reminds me of the confrontation of "the other".  The stage is the the drama of life, which has a scripted "destiny".  The magic of the mirror is to see oneself.

Full moon, mysterious and transmutable,
I'm an imaginary living body come to its end
Full moon, mysterious and transmutable,
I'm an imaginary destined body come to its end

Again referring to life or existence as being something that's not terribly concrete--changeable.  Something that doesn't have foundation or supply any sense of security or permanence.

Seeking time, without rest
Living on, a speleomorph

Wanting "more time."  Seeking a place in time.  Speleomorph is made-up, but it evokes for me a sense of rotation and transformation.

Seeking land, armless, legless

Land could refer that sense of security and "foundation" I mentioned.  Or simply refer to a general state of seeking.  The lack of arms and legs makes one somewhat helpless.  It also refers to evolution as the arms and legs are developed once existence moves from sea to land.

Still existing I am, transparent, intangible, a faint sigh...

I love this line, I used to use it a signature.  Reminds me of "Missing Link".

Overall I think this song refers to a loss of concrete sense of self, a lack of "center".  I'm not certain whether the song is agreeing with the notion that life as we know it is an illusion or simply expressing that idea because the "narrator" either believes it or because that's the narrator's problem.  It talks about the illusion of life in inanimate objects,  then about being lost personally, and relating magic (illusion) to finding oneself--likening identity to the moon.  Finally it talks about seeking.

I think this probably relates to both Nemuro and Mikage.  It refers to puppets being given an illusion of life.  False life, like Mamiya.  It refers to isolation and the "human" being the periphery rather than the center.  Nemuro was isolated and did not have a terribly "human" point of view.  When Nemuro attempted to interact as a human, he lost the sense of himself and was manipulated into becoming Mikage--a person who shares Nemuro's somewhat detached viewpoint and who sustained by little more than spells and incantations--by distorted memories and illusions.  Once destiny takes its course and this becomes obvious, he must evolve and seek a new foundation.  Nemuro again at that point, who is little more than a faint sigh, but still exists.  Maybe even a ghost waiting for rebirth.

I could get really philosophical about what I think it means to be an "imaginary living body", but I will refrain, as I'm sure it would be fairly incoherent.  Suffice it to say it reminds me of quite a few Counting Crows lyrics.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#29 | Back to Top04-17-2007 05:13:25 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I hate to derail this thread, but can anybody tell me what Mikage's birthdate was? (Nemuro's would do fine, but I have an...idea...for the forum that requires Mikage's birthday to be revealed to me...)

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#30 | Back to Top04-17-2007 05:27:49 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

11/30

The same as my mother's. emot-confused

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#31 | Back to Top04-17-2007 05:46:03 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Thanks, Ragnarok. You're a life saver! And you have just given me the inspiration I need.

Huhuhuhu...

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#32 | Back to Top04-18-2007 06:55:10 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

BioKraze wrote:

Thanks, Ragnarok. You're a life saver! And you have just given me the inspiration I need.

Huhuhuhu...

Mikage is a Sagittarius, which is in fact a fire sign.

Aries, Leo and Sagittarius are all fire signs.

Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn are all earth signs.

Gemini, Libra and Aquarius are all air signs.

Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces are all water signs.

Board footer