This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top07-10-2010 05:31:01 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: UTENA Back in North America!!

I think it would benefit Nozomi to acknowledge (and pander shamelessly to) the SKU's fanbase extreme love of analysis and research when making these boxsets*.  Also, one pro of textless opening songs, credits and duels on the remaster for them would be a likely boom of new, better made AMVs, which is internet advertisement at its finest.  Seriously, you guys have no idea how many anime I've been introduced to (and bought!) via a kick-ass AMV. 

*FFFFFFFFFFFFFootnotes yesyesyes.  And bloopers count as analysis.  school-freudschool-freudschool-freudschool-freudschool-freudschool-freudschool-freudschool-freudschool-freudschool-freud

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (07-10-2010 06:11:18 PM)

#102 | Back to Top07-10-2010 05:47:59 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I want bloopers of Akio and Touga's Japanese voice actors trying to do their Engrish lines with a straight face.

'Baby you set my heart o-..ps...BAH no no seriously...hey guys stop that! I mean it now. Baby yo...AW YOU GOT SODA ALL OVER ME'

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#103 | Back to Top07-10-2010 11:23:52 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

All I have to say is, "Oh my god."  I think I might buy 2. 

My download of the remaster is plagued with artifact-ing.  Or whatever you call it with video.  And I wish I had it on DVD so it was more portable....

I wish I could pre-order right now!!

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (07-10-2010 11:25:45 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#104 | Back to Top07-11-2010 05:58:24 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

I want lots of arts and bloopers.  Maybe some posters or something included in the box set.  I definitely want detailed  and correctly romanized character bios (meaning, her name isn't Tenjo, It's Tenjou.  Not Otori, Ohtori.  Please.)  Interviews (especially anything that Ikuhara did, anything) would be definitely worth a pre-order.  Also, a pre-order gift would be amazinggggg.  etc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-loveetc-love

#105 | Back to Top07-11-2010 08:25:09 PM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

Oh I'd love all Ikuhara interviews in one place please etc-loveetc-loveetc-love and who knows, maybe even new behind the scenes director's comments? lol Why he added (not so?)random extra frames?
Augh Pre-order now please.

Last edited by haelsyx (07-11-2010 08:25:51 PM)

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

#106 | Back to Top07-12-2010 02:29:45 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

i go away for 1 week. 1 WEEK! and all of this is going on!  This is exciting!

I really hated the english dubber's interviews... it was rather retarded, "uh.. yeah i related to the character... *picks nose* haha.. wasn't it cool when..."

No love for the sport what so ever!

I remember when i purchased my VHS set... (YES THATS WHAT I SAID! VHS!) i got all these cool stickers from the rose bride season. I was really excited about the stickers (at that age). Once i upgraded to DVD there was no such fun thing.

Lets see what happens!

#107 | Back to Top07-12-2010 03:29:39 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

^ I agree. Like I said, except for a few of the dub actors you could tell from the interviews how they did not get the meaning of the show at all much less appreciate it. Sure it isn't required to go as far as we do in analyzing the show but with Utena don't act like it's all weird for the sake of weird, there's some meaning behind most of it.

Akio's English actor was the worst from his interview you could tell he just found the whole thing weird and silly rather than dark and meaningful. Sure for a normal person that's understandable but as an actor it is YOUR JOB to go deeper than the surface.

Strangely enough one of the worst actresses (Nanami) seemed to appreciate her character the most as did Wakaba's/Kozue's actress.

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

A rose signet ring or a rose patch

Yes. Yes. YES.

Who cares if it's pink I'd wear that and show it off like there was no freaking tomorrow.

Last edited by chrisb (07-12-2010 03:39:18 PM)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#108 | Back to Top07-12-2010 05:07:43 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

rhyaniwyn wrote:

All I have to say is, "Oh my god."  I think I might buy 2. 

My download of the remaster is plagued with artifact-ing.  Or whatever you call it with video.  And I wish I had it on DVD so it was more portable....

I wish I could pre-order right now!!

Welcome back! emot-kekeemot-kekeemot-keke  I know we weren't close but I've missed your brilliance m'dear! etc-love

There is one thing and only one thing I do not want to see on the dvds, really.  Chiho Saito.  Just.  Just gtfo SKU you cliche romance writer, you!  If I find little Ikuhara but a lot of Saito shit will be stormed.

#109 | Back to Top07-12-2010 09:50:17 PM

Soukougnan
Black Rosarian
Website

emot-aaa
defiantly good news for showing up again to find.
maybe i should disappear for half years at a time more often?

this has got to be the best news i've heard in a loooong time. :3
if i never pre-order anything else in my life, i want. this. set.

hm. i'm... here again? catch me in the discord-- im fairybull

#110 | Back to Top07-12-2010 09:58:55 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

OITL wrote:

There is one thing and only one thing I do not want to see on the dvds, really.  Chiho Saito.  Just.  Just gtfo SKU you cliche romance writer, you!  If I find little Ikuhara but a lot of Saito shit will be stormed.

FUCKING SECONDED.

#111 | Back to Top07-12-2010 10:11:13 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

chrisb wrote:

Akio's English actor was the worst from his interview you could tell he just found the whole thing weird and silly rather than dark and meaningful. Sure for a normal person that's understandable but as an actor it is YOUR JOB to go deeper than the surface.

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

A rose signet ring or a rose patch

Yes. Yes. YES.

Who cares if it's pink I'd wear that and show it off like there was no freaking tomorrow.

LOLOLOLOL That was a good (un)knowing(?) reference to SKU....

and I would wear a patch like that ALL the TIME... even as I slept...well maybe in one of my drunken slumbers anyway....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#112 | Back to Top07-12-2010 11:16:25 PM

Dallbun
Tour Guide to Crawling Chaos

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Light's Wishlist for the release, in order from most to least likely as far as she knows which isn't all that far:

An english version of the game for pc
newdubnewdubnewdubnewdub

Unfortunately, I think anything's more likely than an english version of the game for PC.

was_ohtori_akio wrote:

At this point in time, any extra they include would be a great bonus.

Another extra I would like that popped into my head would be similar to what we got in the French Rose of Versailles release, a booklet with an episode synopsis and a history of the show, how it eventuated, the hell going through licensing it, how well it does in different territories and with a few reasons why that could be, the thought process behind creating the art, story, soundtrack etc... would make for an AWESOME AWESOME extra!

Agreed, on both fronts!

winksniper wrote:

I definitely want detailed and correctly romanized character bios (meaning, her name isn't Tenjo, It's Tenjou.  Not Otori, Ohtori.  Please.)

To be fair, there's no one correct way to romanize Japanese. (In fact, "Tenjou" and "Ohtori" are romanized using two different styles.) Why, look at all these methods that Wikipedia has briefed me on! school-eng101

Tenjou and Outori ("Word processor style")
Tenjō and Ōtori (Hepburn)
Tenjoo and Ootori (Modified Hepburn)
Tenjoh and Ohtori ("Passport Hepburn")
Tenj and tori (Kunrei-shiki and Nihon-shiki)

...of course, "Tenjo" and "Otori" are probably the least accurate ways to romanize those names, since they drop any indication of the long vowels entirely, just like "Tokyo". emot-frown So yeah.

Last edited by Dallbun (07-12-2010 11:52:34 PM)

#113 | Back to Top07-12-2010 11:42:17 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Melancholic_Soul wrote:

chrisb wrote:

LOLOLOLOL That was a good (un)knowing(?) reference to SKU....

Hehe it was kind of on purpose yes emot-keke

I 2nd keeping Chiho Saito away along with all her anti yuri-ness.

You know what else I want? A photo gallery of nothing but Chuchu and also a Chuchu plushy.

#114 | Back to Top07-12-2010 11:43:46 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

You just blew my mind. Is it Toukyo?

Honestly the 'Passport Hepburn' one seems to me to lead to the most accurate pronunciation from an English speaker. Well, I suppose technically the Hepburn one is most accurate but most Americans don't like lines on their vowels and don't actually know how to pronounce them. Word processor is gonna get people going 'ow-tori' and Modified Hepburn's gonna get 'ten-jew'. emot-gonk

I can't recall learning in school how to use them, to be honest. I picked it up watching anime and getting translations like those. emot-redface

Secret: I have seen/heard NONE of the extras on ANY of the DVDs. In fact at RoseCon if we want to watch the Ikuhara commentary, I'm good with that. I haven't the foggiest what Akio's English VA has to say about anything and frankly don't want to know. But to be fair, I kinda feel bad for him, it sounds like he did this silly easy one off episode and it roped him into something with a much larger scope. And voicing Akio can't be easy. (hurr pimpin' ain't ez)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#115 | Back to Top07-13-2010 12:06:56 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Dallbun wrote:

Hmmm was the dub just translated in a shitty way or did they make an error based on the way things were romanized like you showed us? Not that listening to the Japanese track would have solved the issue...

Last edited by chrisb (07-13-2010 12:07:21 AM)

#116 | Back to Top07-13-2010 12:23:11 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

You just blew my mind. Is it Toukyo?

In fact, it's Toukyou -- both vowels are long!  emot-biggrin  On the other end of the Shinkansen, Kyouto has only one long vowel -- so Tokyo and Kyoto are anagrams in English, but not in Japanese.

Giovanna wrote:

Honestly the 'Passport Hepburn' one seems to me to lead to the most accurate pronunciation from an English speaker. Well, I suppose technically the Hepburn one is most accurate but most Americans don't like lines on their vowels and don't actually know how to pronounce them. Word processor is gonna get people going 'ow-tori' and Modified Hepburn's gonna get 'ten-jew'.

My understanding is that it's not so much what's "most accurate" so much as what works best for a certain purpose, as you hint when you say that Passport Hepburn leads to an accurate pronunciation.  If you want English speakers to pronounce it approximately right, best to spell it Tenjoh (or Tenjo, perhaps with a long-vowel marker over the O if you trust your audience).  If you want to reflect, sound-by-sound, what's actually going on in the mouth, Tenjoo is best -- but only if the reader already understands that vowels in Japanese don't combine like "oo" in "hoot."  If you want to transliterate the word kana-by-kana so that the reader can reconstruct the Japanese spelling, Tenjou is the reading you want.  It's tricky!

Most anime that I've seen have adopted this lattermost style -- Tenjou, Kyouichi, Keiko.  Generally, the O-H spelling signals that something unusual is going on here -- usually, a long O sound is spelled O-U in the original kana, but there are exceptions.  Dallbun is by years and years my better at Japanese, but I think he's slipped up on Ohtori; I think this word's furigana is actually O-O-TO-RI, which would make "Outori" the wrong transliteration under any scheme.  Similarly, Honda Tohru from Fruits Basket has a name that is spelled TO-O, so she also gets the OH version. 

I've never seen a professional sub use the O-O or E-E spelling, but the fansub I saw of Boogiepop Phantom did so, and misled me for a long time about how one of the main characters' names (Miyashita Tooka) should be understood.  emot-smile

Edited because I realized that Ohtori is two O's.

Last edited by satyreyes (07-13-2010 12:37:02 AM)

#117 | Back to Top07-13-2010 12:55:28 AM

Dallbun

satyreyes wrote:

Dallbun is by years and years my better at Japanese, but I think he's slipped up on Ohtori; I think this word's furigana is actually O-O-TO-RI, which would make "Outori" the wrong transliteration under any scheme.

Nope, it is indeed written "Outori" under the "word processor" romanization. An inability to distinguish between the long "o" vowel and an "o" followed by a "u" is one of the flaws of that writing system. (DOUBT NOT MY MIGHTY JAPANESE ABILITIES, INFIDEL! emot-tongue)

Personally, I tend to use "word processor style" anyway, because it's convenient and I'm accustomed to typing in Japanese. Like the rest of the fandom, though, I'm used to writing the school/family as "Ohtori."

chrisb wrote:

I 2nd keeping Chiho Saito away along with all her anti yuri-ness.

Aww, all this Chiho Saito hate. Poor woman! She's a really talented shoujo manga artist, and has done an interesting range of work. And as far as I've gathered, she definitely had a large part in shaping the visual style of Utena through her character designs, even if you don't give her credit for anything else.

But admittedly, her manga takes on the Utena story lack almost everything that make the anime versions interesting to me. If by some miracle (or crazy effort on the part of Nozomi) hiterto-untranslated interviews are available, Ikuhara has priority over her, no question. Frankly, though, I'd be interested to hear more from the less visible Be-Papas members. Yoji Enokido has written a fair bit in Japanese, but I don't think I've ever heard an interview with him in English... and you hear even less from the other two. (J.A. Seazer, too.)

You know what else I want? A photo gallery of nothing but Chuchu and also a Chuchu plushy.

For a moment I read that as "Cthulhu." I thought, "well, I'd be down with that, but it seems like kind of a non sequitur..." emot-tongue

chrisb wrote:

Hmmm was the dub just translated in a shitty way or did they make an error based on the way things were romanized like you showed us? Not that listening to the Japanese track would have solved the issue...

The dub translation itself was fine, they just apparently didn't have anyone coaching the cast in their name pronunciations. Or at least not very thoroughly.

If they were the sight-reading Japanese names off a Modified Hepburn-based script for some reason, that would explain the "Ten-jew" that you're all complaining about... but they didn't mess up on Touga, did they? After all, he would be have been written "Tooga"... emot-gonk The mind boggles.

Last edited by Dallbun (07-13-2010 01:04:03 AM)

#118 | Back to Top07-13-2010 02:14:56 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Dallbun wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Dallbun is by years and years my better at Japanese, but I think he's slipped up on Ohtori; I think this word's furigana is actually O-O-TO-RI, which would make "Outori" the wrong transliteration under any scheme.

Nope, it is indeed written "Outori" under the "word processor" romanization. An inability to distinguish between the long "o" vowel and an "o" followed by a "u" is one of the flaws of that writing system. (DOUBT NOT MY MIGHTY JAPANESE ABILITIES, INFIDEL! emot-tongue)

Whoa, really?!  Does that mean that there is no transliteration system that predictably distinguishes とおい (far) from とうい (sugar coating)?  I thought that was the whole point of the word processor system, not to mention the reason it's called the word processor system.  A writing system that spells the first "tooi" and the second "toui" seems blindingly obvious and highly useful.

If they were the sight-reading Japanese names off a Modified Hepburn-based script for some reason, that would explain the "Ten-jew" that you're all complaining about... but they didn't mess up on Touga, did they? After all, he would be have been written "Tooga"... emot-gonk The mind boggles.

I think a reasonable English speaker with no guidance could reasonably read Tenjou as "ten-jew."  Reading Utena Tenjou as "Lieutenant Tangerine," however, may be a bit of a stretch.

Last edited by satyreyes (07-13-2010 02:23:24 AM)

#119 | Back to Top07-13-2010 02:39:17 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I hate the OO. It confuses the living fuck out of me

I was helping a class once, and they were using this Yookoso! book and it drove me INSANE.

I preferred OH until I started typing things in Japanese alot more, and... yeah, I love you OU.
(Sohji, bitches. I just like the way it looks.)

...Likewise, I'm convinced its WO and HE, not O and E.

I can't stand Saito either. My biggest Saito complain is the art. I mean, I can't even draw after I look at her stuff. If she didn't do Utena, I wouldn't get near her with a twenty foot pole.

Everyone knows I'd eat babies for more Seazer stuff.
But they better do a damn good job on translations of his stuff.

And yeeeeeah... A translation of the game is... Yeah, I'm gonna go for impossible.
WHICH IS FINE BY ME.

#120 | Back to Top07-13-2010 02:58:24 AM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Everyone wrote:

*Awesome Language Lecture*

This is really interesting. I did discover during my Japanese class the difference between

とうきょう(toukyou) & ときょ。

After growing up with Utena Subs and Dubs i did learn how to pronounce the words better but i had no idea that ohtori was spelled おおとり

This is interesting.

One of my least favorite mispronunciations is Utena.

I can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES my step father called her "You-Teen-uh" (U -Tina? Like the name? tina?)  It drove me up the wall.

At any rate... Back to the DVDS!:

I prefered (as most purists) the japanese vocals with english subs; however, Utena's voice in English had more emotion in some scenes than the original japanese voice actress imho.  The scene in the Rose Bride saga/section/arc/ whatever where Utena loses to Touga, Anthy's voice in English absolutely pissed me off. I wanted to pull my hair out... the Japanese, Anshii, was absolutely brilliant in portraying the character's emotion (or lack there of.)

and to the 3rd flip side, Utena's english actress, i feel, did an excellent job of making me feel her pain, her tragedy.

The problem with all of this changing back and forth between sub and dub is the losing of the meaning. Ikuhara probably spent a lot of time with the voice actors in the original japanese version; therefore, i think most of his message comes through those portrayals.... but in the english version, some of that original meaning was lost.

---/

Now i have a question, was the "Musical" an official prodution of the Utena crew or was it some side company thing? Because honestly, a copy of that on DVD would be pretty cool. I really like the ojisama song. Its so happy and upbeat and fun.. maybe i'm a dork and anti-purist ( but wait KFAR... you just said you were...) but the Musical (from what i saw of it on a cheap ass youtube version) was really fun... and ... interesting o.O.

Also, a chuchu plushie with pre-order = good idea. I've always wanted a chuchu plushie... i just think he'd be perfect. He would come with a clip on tie... hehe...

i think deleted scenes (if there are any) would be interesting...

I dunno, just some thoughts.

#121 | Back to Top07-13-2010 03:15:09 AM

Dallbun

satyreyes wrote:

Dallbun wrote:

Whoa, really?!  Does that mean that there is no transliteration system that predictably distinguishes とおい (far) from とうい (sugar coating)?  I thought that was the whole point of the word processor system, not to mention the reason it's called the word processor system.  A writing system that spells the first "tooi" and the second "toui" seems blindingly obvious and highly useful.

Whoops, no, I was confused. Of course you're totally right, Ohtori would be Ootori under that system. I was thinking of, like, the おう for 王 (king) which is a long vowel, and the おう for, like, 追う or 負う, which are different. (That difference is covered under some of the other systems, but not wapuro. ...DOUBT MY MIGHTY JAPANESE ABILITIES! emot-redface

#122 | Back to Top07-13-2010 03:31:06 AM

Dallbun

KissFromARose wrote:

Now i have a question, was the "Musical" an official prodution of the Utena crew or was it some side company thing?

Well, they were certainly officially licensed, but Be-Papas weren't very involved. The first musical was written and directed by Yūji Mitsuya, who has no other relation to Utena. The second musical was apparently produced by Ikuhara, but directed and adapted by Ei Takatori. The third musical was directed and adapted by Nakano Keiko. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like footage of the second and third musicals exist. emot-frown

i think deleted scenes (if there are any) would be interesting...

Unfortunately, it's uncommon for animation to have deleted scenes, even partially-animated ones. If any existed for Utena, I'm sure we would have heard about them by now.

#123 | Back to Top07-13-2010 05:39:30 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Dallbun wrote:

For a moment I read that as "Cthulhu." I thought, "well, I'd be down with that, but it seems like kind of a non sequitur..." emot-tongue

You know with a show like Utena I would not be had been surprised at all had Cthulhu been somewhere in there. Speaking of Call of Cthulhu:

Lovecraft scholar Peter Cannon calls the story "ambitious and complex...a dense and subtle narrative in which the horror gradually builds to cosmic proportions."

That to me totally describes Utena's narrative.

Last edited by chrisb (07-13-2010 05:40:53 AM)

#124 | Back to Top07-13-2010 11:20:35 AM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

Dallbun wrote:

winksniper wrote:

I definitely want detailed and correctly romanized character bios (meaning, her name isn't Tenjo, It's Tenjou.  Not Otori, Ohtori.  Please.)

To be fair, there's no one correct way to romanize Japanese. (In fact, "Tenjou" and "Ohtori" are romanized using two different styles.) Why, look at all these methods that Wikipedia has briefed me on! school-eng101

Tenjou and Outori ("Word processor style")
Tenjō and Ōtori (Hepburn)
Tenjoh and Ohtori ("Passport Hepburn")
Tenj and tori (Kunrei-shiki and Nihon-shiki)

...of course, "Tenjo" and "Otori" are probably the least accurate ways to romanize those names, since they drop any indication of the long vowels entirely, just like "Tokyo". emot-frown So yeah.

I understand, but at the same time, most of us know how not to romanize something. And that's the part I hate about Japanese. There's so many ways to do it that it almost seems like anything goes.  Sometimes I wish they would just have it written in standard Japanese but obviously that wouldn't be fair at all.

#125 | Back to Top07-13-2010 11:30:43 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Wink, for my part, I've grown to very much like the word-processor system from studying Japanese, which is nice since it also seems to be the de facto norm in anime.  I think the Utena subs made good choices, using ou and ei for those sounds, and departing from the word processor system on Ohtori because "Ootori" creates a special hazard to pronunciation.  I hope they don't change any of that on the re-release; competing Romanization standards on this forum would be even worse than some people calling the character Mitsuru and others Tsuwabuki.  emot-biggrin

A signet ring for preorders would be lovely.  etc-love

Board footer