This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top08-09-2013 04:49:38 PM

zevrem
Banned

What academic theories do you see examined in SKU?

The most obvious one for me is the "Great Man" theory of history. The "Great Man" theory states that history is nothing but a catalog of the actions of people with the intelligence, charisma, and ruthlessness to influence history. All the main characters of SKU are fighting for is the chance to become the "great man." That's why you have born elitists fighting for "revolution," even though revolutions are supposedly populist in nature. The Seitokai don't really have that much concern for "the people," all they really want is to become the next Napoleon.

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#2 | Back to Top12-03-2013 09:30:05 AM

waifu
Wakaba Wrangler

Re: What academic theories do you see examined in SKU?

Whenever I watch Utena I see Marxism.

#3 | Back to Top12-03-2013 12:55:11 PM

zevrem
Banned

There is an "aristocrats are evil" angle, but there really isn't a visible working class anywhere.

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#4 | Back to Top12-04-2013 08:46:46 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

zevrem wrote:

There is an "aristocrats are evil" angle, but there really isn't a visible working class anywhere.

Where do you find that? I don't mean to say that SKU paints aristocracy in a good light, but it doesn't paint it in any light at all that I see. There's no representation of the poor man or the working man that it flatters and sings praise to. The entire cast is comprised of wealthy people. There's some passing evidence that could be twisted to suggest Saionji is poor, but there are equally ready counter arguments for those, and poverty or wealth as far as I can recall like don't come up, at all, anywhere.

In a very broad sense, I think SKU focuses strongly on individualism, in the sense of a stance that values the pursuit of the individual's goals as higher in value and more important than consideration for the whole. Each man for himself, etc. That philosophy is clearly one Akio agrees with, but it's also the same philosophy everyone, Utena included, practices. Whether they'd agree with it or not.

This issue of the individual in society and who should win has pretty well established roots in the psychology of many modern eastern nations, Japan especially. A show exploring the value of individual apart from the crowd, its challenges, it's strengths, and its failings, isn't something I'm surprised to see.

Deliberately avoiding psychological theories here. emot-biggrin

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer