This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-24-2006 11:26:21 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette

Alright, who liked it and who didn't?

My happy ass waited for months and months, ever since I witnessed the trailer ages ago, for it to come out . . . I saw it opening day and was amazed at the brilliance and beauty. Even though she died in the end, I壇 still be Marie Antoinette just for the shoes and clothes and food!!! Man that makes me shallow, oh well.

sometimes you make me feel
like I知 living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#2 | Back to Top11-24-2006 11:30:09 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Re: Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette

I heard it was really gorgeous but nothing else.

However, I still haven't seen it.

#3 | Back to Top11-24-2006 11:30:17 PM

Calliston
High Tripper

I believe the opulence of that era is something to be both envied and lusted after, as well as despised and avoided. I myself haven't seen the movie, so I suppose my opinion's not valid. Unfortunately, there are a lot of movies I want to see. I have read reviews for it, and I heard that while the beginning was good, it lacks substance. However, I'm just being the messenger for this, but I'll definitely say what I think after I see it. XD

#4 | Back to Top11-24-2006 11:38:32 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I haven't seen it because I hate Sofia Coppola. That said, Yasha showed me an interview where she quite plainly admits the clothing and such is not necessarily accurate to the period and she was more concerned with what she felt would look cool.

Being that I'm a whore for historical accuracy in my period piece settings, this turned me off quite a bit. Basically, I've heard what Calliston has. Pretty, but not a lot to chew on. How was the acting? I was kinda curious to see what was going on with the casting of Marie, on one hand I can totally see it, on the other...not so much.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#5 | Back to Top11-24-2006 11:50:23 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Kristin Dunst was good as the ill fated Queen. The entire movie was really bitter-sweet, focusing more on the day to day life of dear Marie at Versailles. She had a hard life with the heavy burden to produce an heir to the French throne, which I think she masked her pain with the elaborate parties at the palace.

The movie isn稚 really getting the good reviews that it should be getting because of the music score. (Which I think suits it, but I知 weird that way.) The costumes are amazing, the camera shots brilliant, and the acting is really entertaining. It brings the French Aristocrats to the mortal level.

you said

#6 | Back to Top11-25-2006 07:17:35 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

I have only seen pictures so I don't really know if it's good or not. I just know that Kirsten dunst as like Marie Antoniette looks like... Kirsten Dunst cosplaying as Marie Antoniete... not really my choice for actress

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#7 | Back to Top11-26-2006 06:13:44 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Romanticide wrote:

I have only seen pictures so I don't really know if it's good or not. I just know that Kirsten dunst as like Marie Antoniette looks like... Kirsten Dunst cosplaying as Marie Antoniete... not really my choice for actress

But you know, I'm really at a loss to think of someone that's a real match for Antoinette...you need a balance of snobby aristocratic grace and childish brat.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#8 | Back to Top11-26-2006 01:20:01 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Giovanna wrote:

Romanticide wrote:

But you know, I'm really at a loss to think of someone that's a real match for Antoinette...you need a balance of snobby aristocratic grace and childish brat.

Its hard to find a match if you just focus on Hollywood actresses. But maybe is just my problem with Kirsten Dunst. (She was so pretty at her 12 years why did she turned out this way emot-frown )
But maybe I should see the movie. Still I think her hair needed more height and white powder.l

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#9 | Back to Top11-26-2006 10:19:20 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

I thinks she's pretty!

But yeah, they did tone down the makeup, which I can understand. It was just a very good eye pleaser.

you said

#10 | Back to Top11-27-2006 05:31:30 AM

Perfect Verse
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

I got all excited about Marie when the trailer went out in June, but it was definately a disappointment for having waited 4 months or whatever.  It was interesting seeing her day-to-day life portrayed, but it would have been more memorable if it had been written like a drama... they skipped the whole diamond necklace affair.

Also the whole "I Want Candy" number was dumb to watch, but the whole movie was watered down to make the pretty costumes front and center.

#11 | Back to Top11-27-2006 09:54:26 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Perfect Verse wrote:

the whole "I Want Candy" number

...what? emot-confused

I...what?

I'm going to go home and watch Dangerous Liaisons like five times. emot-gonk

#12 | Back to Top11-27-2006 01:37:02 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

*Snickers*

The movie soundtrack is not very condusive to the times . . .

*heeheehee*

And completely stepping out of the box, I wonder if Ikuhara did Dangerious Liasions, what would it be like?

you said

#13 | Back to Top11-29-2006 07:22:52 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Sevelle wrote:

And completely stepping out of the box, I wonder if Ikuhara did Dangerious Liasions, what would it be like?

Madame de Tourvel turns into a horse-drawn carriage at the end. emot-dance

#14 | Back to Top11-29-2006 07:30:24 AM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

Giovanna wrote:

Sevelle wrote:

Madame de Tourvel turns into a horse-drawn carriage at the end. emot-dance

You win at life.

Valmont would have a mullet. Don't forget that.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#15 | Back to Top11-30-2006 10:18:42 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

morosemocha wrote:

Valmont would have a mullet. Don't forget that.

Nah, overall I'd say Valmont's like Touga.

Although that whole 'lol I had sex with ur mom' pillow conversation is totally Akio. emot-biggrin

Board footer