This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top06-26-2009 09:25:08 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Re: How I would "improve" Utena

Sorry for insulting Truth, guys; I did not  mean it to come off that I thought the song was bad, only that I do not like it.  It's just personal taste, and personally, if "I" could improve Utena for myself, I would rather have a different song.   Fwends? etc-love

And I agree about the CGI.  It's one thing when it's integrated well, but another when it's just kinda....there....being all LOOKITMEIMA3DMUTHAFUCKAH.  You really shouldn't 'notice' the CGI all that much in an animated series/feature.

#52 | Back to Top06-26-2009 10:04:41 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Lately, I've been thinking though. As far as the ED song is concerned. I was hoping that they'd have 3 different ED's for the series. First is Truth, second is Virtual Star Hasseigaku, and third being Masami Okui's "I Can't..."

#53 | Back to Top07-03-2009 10:02:04 PM

Setsuna
Tragedian

Honestly...I never liked Utena's big ass red shoulder caps...

#54 | Back to Top07-04-2009 12:42:40 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

And those white frilly things coming off of them were so tacky...

#55 | Back to Top07-04-2009 12:47:05 AM

Setsuna
Tragedian

I'd also add more of a rock/metal soundtrack. Just to make it more badass. Maybe include more action. And have Saionji punch the Rose Bride.

#56 | Back to Top07-04-2009 01:07:40 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Setsuna wrote:

I'd also add more of a rock/metal soundtrack. Just to make it more badass.

Would the Dethalbum be sufficiently awesome enough for this purpose? emot-tongue

Setsuna wrote:

Maybe include more action. And have Saionji punch the Rose Bride.

Bad enough Saionji justs bitchslaps Anthy hard enough she keels over every time...are we turning him into a full-blown wife beater at this point? Jeezy Chreezy, hasn't the poor guy been through enough torture? emot-frown

(Light, Gio, I'm almost expecting you two to violently decry me or fervently agree with me. It's okay, I won't mind. Honest!)

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#57 | Back to Top07-04-2009 01:14:21 AM

Setsuna
Tragedian

BioKraze wrote:

Would the Dethalbum be sufficiently awesome enough for this purpose? emot-tongue

poptart YES

#58 | Back to Top07-04-2009 09:12:45 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

I would get rid of Akio's odd pony tail thing and give him better hair. Sorry. The sad ponytail drives me NUTS. I imagine he's secretly balding or something, and his hair is so thin that's all that the bigger the ponytail is!

It was all the costuming discussion that made me think of it.

20 threads dead so far.

#59 | Back to Top07-05-2009 11:27:17 AM

ToriJ
Saionji Slapper

spoon-san wrote:

Other than improve the animation (which grows on you anyways):

Make Anthy duel someone and kick some ass.

To add to that idea have her fight Nanami, loser has to wear a cowbell. Then have Anthy kick her ass xD

Also after Akio has his way with Utena have Anthy meet up with him, a chainsaw behind her back and emot-dance

*Two hours later a body bag is ordered*

Oh and I would make the English translation word for word from the original. Other than that, not much to change in my opinion...

#60 | Back to Top07-06-2009 08:52:08 AM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

Yeah, no death metal, no blood and gore. This is a beloved shojo classic full of psychological meaning and romantic beauty. No amount of wishing will turn it into fucking Bleach or Naruto.

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"
     - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

#61 | Back to Top07-07-2009 09:45:23 AM

Setsuna
Tragedian

YostinAust wrote:

Yeah, no death metal, no blood and gore. This is a beloved shojo classic full of psychological meaning and romantic beauty. No amount of wishing will turn it into fucking Bleach or Naruto.

emot-rofl
True. The Deathalbum was a joke. If I ever add metal it would be beautiful Neo Classical like Yngwie Malmsteem or something like that. The Dethalbum...is just so...Metalcalypse, DBZ-ish. And I love the original soundtrack too.

But I think there could be costume improvements. Like...The giant red shoulder pads, Akio's verging mullet-tail, or giant green ball tying it together. Or the bright ass red shirt. Or in the movie. Did he really have to jump spread out on the car while saying, "Ciao!". 
And some of the cheesiness...could be reduced. Like Saionji in the side car. Really, Ikuhara? Really? - I get the damn symbolism, but hell. Look at it! Then he jumps up shirtless like he's pretending to be Jesus. Or the apron. Or the kangeroo.

I'm just saying...for a series so serious and amazing..there was some really tongue in cheek moments.

Last edited by Setsuna (07-07-2009 09:46:25 AM)

#62 | Back to Top07-08-2009 11:25:22 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

I would add homosexual sex.

No more, no less. emot-biggrin

#63 | Back to Top07-08-2009 03:07:39 PM

YostinAust
Pathtracer

True. The Deathalbum was a joke. If I ever add metal it would be beautiful Neo Classical like Yngwie Malmsteem or something like that. The Dethalbum...is just so...Metalcalypse, DBZ-ish. And I love the original soundtrack too.

I now understand completely. My personal choice of new music would be the synthy jazz of The Bird and The Bee, as well as the soundscapes of Daedelus. I think that would really build a sense of dramatic melancholy.

"In this age, the mere example of non-conformity, the mere refusal to bend the knee to custom, is itself a service"
     - John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

#64 | Back to Top07-20-2009 02:57:43 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

How would I improve Utena? Why tell you, when I can show you? *Surroundings fade*
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/RazaraNi/Screenshot-67.jpg
I would turn all the men into beautiful girls! Lesbians making out on cars instead of men, just as the creators wanted us to believe there would be but never actually was except in the movie.
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w96/RazaraNi/Screenshot-70.jpg
And in my improved version, Rukako and Soujiko are also fucking. Because it's almost 5 in the morning and I said so.

#65 | Back to Top07-20-2009 04:28:19 AM

Adolescencedoll
New Student

13.) Akio's mullet would have to go. Maybe just long hair. Or the shorter Dios look.

please, longer hair!
add more juri episodes, i want to understand her!

...waiting on my prince.

#66 | Back to Top07-20-2009 03:25:37 PM

Nights1stStar
Ballgoer

I would ACTUALLY MAKE A DECENT DUB!!!!

The dub's translation was pretty accurate, but Central Park Media, definitely went low-budget with the VA's.

"To copulate is to enter another...and the artist never emerges from herself."
-Charles Bauldelaire

#67 | Back to Top07-20-2009 03:30:42 PM

Setsuna
Tragedian

Amen.

#68 | Back to Top08-02-2009 02:05:32 PM

BlueRoseTree
Wakaba Wrangler

I've got sth to add... Watching and rewatching the tv series I keep thinking how much I'd like it to be remade with bigger budget. The same design, the same ( or extended and deepened ) story, but decent computer animation and no wonky faces... So that you can make any random screenshot into a poster to hang on the wall and fap/schlick to its beauty. I know it's been done already, in a way, the result being The Adolescence, but the movie is so different it's a separate thing. While I keep dreaming the series looked as clean-cut as it does :/

And I agree that Chu-Chu would have to go.

go fave my Utena fanart at http://nitrofieja.deviantart.com/

#69 | Back to Top08-05-2009 01:56:27 AM

ToriJ
Saionji Slapper

On another note for my own fan service I would have Utena in her Movie Attire because I just prefer it over what she had in the show...

But that's just me...

#70 | Back to Top09-09-2009 12:32:31 AM

Charuru
Ohtori Paramouri

BlueRoseTree wrote:

And I agree that Chu-Chu would have to go.

I think in the general scheme of animes, Chu-Chu had a decently small sized role. He was more than tolerable, in fact I liked him a lot.

#71 | Back to Top09-09-2009 04:05:26 AM

BenHo
Juri Jeerer

I would re-record the voice acting for the English dub using the same voice actors, but a different voice-over director. The movie proved that all the English VA's were actually good as long as they had proper guidance (something they CLEARLY didn't have in season 1) even if Anthy sounded like dick cheese during the entire series, she still did a good job in the movie. And the voice acting in the second and third seasons was really good ... except Anthy.

#72 | Back to Top09-09-2009 12:43:38 PM

Itsuke
Pathtracer

For the TV series, I would add at least one scene of Utena and Anthy being naked together, doesn't have to show their entire body, we are not making hentai here, just the usual partial disclosure that is consistant with the show's style. Yeah...that will definitely send tons of yuri fans into overload~~

#73 | Back to Top10-29-2010 09:44:28 AM

CoffinBreaker
Rose Bride

Hmmm....Is it really possible to improve Utena (if only superficially)?

Well, here goes nothing:

1. Improve the animation. I know it's from the mid-90s but come on, such an ethereal and beautiful visual style needs better tech specs than that...

2. Better back stories for everyone, Especially Anthy and Akio. I'd like to know just what exactly they are (Deities? Ghosts? Hindi?) And a better explanation of their origins-and everybody else's.

3. YURISECS etc-wankgirl

In all seriousness, I would have liked to see Utena and Anthy's realtionship developed further (In the beginning I actually watched Utena because of that, sadly enough). I think it had some fantastic potential but was never elaborated on for fear of a.) Undermining the plot and b.) *possibly* offending the viewers.

(Not that a yuri-loving dyke like myself would have been etc-love)

4. More Nanami duels!!! She's my favorite duelist (besides maybe Utena) and we don't get to see her fight that much. She's like a freaking YELLOW NINJA.

5. That being said, the filler episodes can go to hell. As can the constant scenes of bishie men taking their shirts off for no reason. Or at least balance it out with YURISECS.

6. Lastly, I want to see Anthy and Utena reunited-for good or for ill. It would have made me happy to know no matter what it was.

Then again, if they had ended it like that "Roses Grow" and "Thorns Wither" might not exist and that would make me sad emot-frown

Also, stop hatin' on ChuChu! He's more important than you think...Seriously, watch him. The freaky little monkey is like Anthy's daemon or something...

Last edited by CoffinBreaker (11-27-2010 05:01:03 PM)

You don't need to understand Revolutionary Girl Utena to understand it.

#74 | Back to Top10-30-2010 04:18:17 PM

Zabel Z
Ohtori Paramouri

moar prostituition symbols and more anthynakedhavingsexwithpoisoninbackground

nah, just teasing. I would like just to see the show rid of lame animations and stock footage

Last edited by Zabel Z (10-30-2010 04:18:58 PM)

Damm kids, get out of my lawn!!!

#75 | Back to Top10-30-2010 09:51:51 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I would have done something with the fact that the characters don't look their age.  I wouldn't have changed how they looked or their age, I would have incorporated it into the show.  Adults (in adult bodies) stuck in a school, with the mindset of children, unable to move past their problems or grow mentally.  It actually wouldn't have been much different than how it actually is, it just would have been canonly acknowledged that they don't look their age (because they're not. )

Less Touga.  I've said it before, but I was just struck by how pointless he was. XD; No offense to Touga fans, but all his scenes bored the hell out of me.

More Nemuro/Mikage.  I loved him and he deserves more episodes.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (10-30-2010 09:52:26 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

Board footer