This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-17-2012 10:55:25 PM

The_Lame_Goat
Rose Smilee

What if there was a reboot of SKU?

Let's say that a reboot of Utena was released (or at the very least anounced). Assuming it had a slightly different art style, remixes of the ost, and a new cast (at least for the dub), would you watch it?

Oh treachery!

#2 | Back to Top11-18-2012 08:27:48 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Re: What if there was a reboot of SKU?

If the stronger members of Be Papas are still the ones behind it, then yes.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#3 | Back to Top11-18-2012 09:33:32 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Even if none of them were working on it, but gave their blessing, I'd at least check it out.

It was collaborative to begin with, and I've got nothing against remakes.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#4 | Back to Top11-18-2012 09:58:30 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Considering how SKU has already used up both its DVD and BlueRay releases, if TPTB wants to continue making making instead off the title, a reboot (if not a sequel) is the only way to make it to happen.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#5 | Back to Top11-18-2012 11:35:58 AM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

A remaster would be better, but certainly not a reboot. Considering how shoujo anime has been going recently...

#6 | Back to Top11-18-2012 04:45:42 PM

BlackBeforeRed
Acknowledged Smart Person

I think that the show was honestly ahead of it's time, it would do pretty well now, being introduced to this new audience. I would definitely check out a reboot or sequel. And with Ikuhara directing again there's hope emot-biggrin It just sucks royally that Tomoko Kawakami passed away, I feel like that would be the biggest deterrent to a reboot/sequel and being honest even I would be a little hesitant to see somebody else take up the role. I just can't imagine anyone else as Utena emot-frown

#7 | Back to Top11-20-2012 12:57:54 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

I guess my first question would be "why a reboot"? I don't personally see a very compelling reason for one, in the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" sense of looking at things. I think it was a great show, but it ran it's course nicely over the three arcs, and think that it wrapped up nicely. Unless by reboot you mean a "redoing" of what's already been done, rather than an effort to bring new life into an old series. Even in that sense though, I'm not sure it's necessary.

Artistically, I'll agree that Utena's a bit dated. At the very least, it certainly would be possible to do the series again in an alternative "crisper" style of art, possibly with good results. This has already sort of been done I guess, with the movie. I haven't seen that in awhile, but from what I recall it had a sharper sort of art. I'm not sure how commercially viable it could possibly be for them to simply redo the whole series with more expensive art though. Sharp art would sort of suggest that they make it more serious/dramatic, in my opinion. The style it currently has lends itself well to some of the random absurd events that go on like the kangaroo, elephants, and chu chu. I'm not sure how well those things would work under more serious visuals.

Would I watch it? If there was an easy way to, I'd certainly check it out.
Do I think it's necesary or a good business decision on their part though? Not really.

As something of an aside, I hadn't heard that Utena's voice actor had died. That's too bad, and really would be problematic for a reboot. Voices are really integral... I'd have a hard time working with someone else filling her shoes.

#8 | Back to Top11-20-2012 01:16:35 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Valeli wrote:

As something of an aside, I hadn't heard that Utena's voice actor had died. That's too bad, and really would be problematic for a reboot. Voices are really integral... I'd have a hard time working with someone else filling her shoes.

I know we have every right to be wary with using a diff. voice actor for an SKU role, especially with the disaster this is MAkio emot-gonk

That being said, in an SKU sequel where Utena is already an adult, someone with an older-sounding voice could maybe still fill the role in sensible manner?

#9 | Back to Top11-20-2012 01:50:37 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

I'd really prefer not. To me, it's fine just the way it is. There are other stories to tell, let Utena stand as it was meant to stand. In the liner notes for the dvd rerelease, I believe Ikuhara too says that a remake was considered, but that he felt there was no need, as the show still stands up perfectly well even now.

It's a unique collection of ideas, artistry, and themes from a certain time period in anime history, and messing with any of that would just cheapen the original. It's rather like asking modern painters to repaint the works of the Old Masters.

So yeah, even the chance of having Utena/Anthy shown in a much more blatant and canonical way in the series can't really tempt me to wish for a remake - and that's saying something, believe me.

(I'm already worried about the upcoming Sailor Moon reboot. There's just no way it can ever measure up to the original in my eyes.)

#10 | Back to Top11-20-2012 03:29:52 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

Utena's kind of a nostalgic tale, one based on a lot of classic older anime and manga. Rebooting it is diametrically opposed to the spirit of the show.

#11 | Back to Top11-20-2012 05:12:44 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

What I would like to see is some kind of omake comic anthology where various writers and artists put their hands at writing a story in the Utena world. Not a complete reboot, just a snapshot of the series through different eyes.

#12 | Back to Top11-20-2012 05:26:42 PM

MikoGalatea
Rose Bride
Website

Atropos wrote:

What I would like to see is some kind of omake comic anthology where various writers and artists put their hands at writing a story in the Utena world. Not a complete reboot, just a snapshot of the series through different eyes.

There's a couple of semi-official doujinshi anthologies -- one each for the series and movie -- that've more-or-less already done that. They're mostly lighthearted stories, though, and I'm pretty sure they're not intended to be serious additions to canon.

As for a potential Rebuild of Utena: I might've said it before, but while I wouldn't be against the idea, there's the questions of a) what new ground would be covered in such a way that both newcomers and longtime fans would be happy with, and b) what would they do about Utena's seiyuu? The latter is the nail in the coffin for any remake, really; even if they got the most amazing new seiyuu who put in the most wonderful performance, no one is ever going to replace Tomoko Kawakami in the eyes of the fandom because to so many of us, Utena is Kawakami-san.

#13 | Back to Top11-23-2012 10:20:55 AM

ShiningSanctum1
Touga Topper

As much as a reboot would give Utena attention to people who have never watched or much less heard about the series before, I would think it would be necessary to remake a series already so powerful. If they ever needed to remake it, they should use the exact same scenes, symbolism, art style, etc. If this could help the new viewers, they can maybe use more symbolisms or easier ways of portraying some scenes. But hey, Utena was all about figuring out symbolism. Thus all in all, I personally believe that they should never remake the Utena series but instead a sequel about Anthy's journey-or a spin off.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

Board footer