This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top10-16-2007 09:11:23 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Re: Gracefully Cruel: Who is the greatest evil?

I essentially agree that she did not become a prince, surely she did not become the kind of prince she had envisioned for herself. The general idea that I have (and I have yet to re-watch the last episodes so I am going with the first viewing impressions that are often not the most acurate) is that, ultimately, it did not matter that her prince ideal was fake because she herself fought for something very real: Anthy.

But still, despite all this, she sometimes pisses me off just a tad. Otherwise, she's one of the few main characters I actually like. I usually despise main characters. Kudos to this series for having a protagonist as fascinating as the secondary characters.

I know what you mean about main characters. All too many times they end up being considerably less interesting than less important roles. That's one of the problems I have with Sailor Moon, I like virtually everyone in the cast...other than Sailor Moon herself. But that's besides the point, I agree that Utena as a is likable and ends up becoming an interesting character even if I still feel that she is not the most appealing or fascinating in the series.

#52 | Back to Top10-27-2007 11:50:54 PM

Dross
Mikage Mistruster

I agree that she did become a prince.

A prince is pure virtue.

Innocence is not a virtue because it cannot be tested.

Courage is only a virtue once there is fear. Loyalty is only a virtue once there is temptation.

When Utena realized her faults, and STILL did what was right despite what it cost her, I believe she did become a prince. This is something that would be impossible if she had remained ignorant of her faults and continued to idealize herself.

Last edited by Dross (10-27-2007 11:51:36 PM)

#53 | Back to Top10-29-2007 12:03:20 PM

Princess<slash>Witch
Saionji Slapper
Website

I have a feeling I'm going to be the only one to say this.

I think Utena is one of those most evil.
I mean, come on, she thinks she's the only one in the righteous path, and in the end, she only cared about wanting to still be 'prince'. She couldn't be prince, she said to Himemiya. That is why she is still in her coffin after everything has ended, after everyone has grown out (as we see).

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"

#54 | Back to Top10-29-2007 02:10:08 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

Actually, there's a fair amount of Utena slander here. But when I think "evil," I think "intelligent," so I can't ever truly find her as such. emot-tongue

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#55 | Back to Top10-29-2007 02:11:26 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Utena strikes me as too clueless to truly be evil.

#56 | Back to Top10-29-2007 02:31:36 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Dross wrote:

When Utena realized her faults, and STILL did what was right despite what it cost her, I believe she did become a prince. This is something that would be impossible if she had remained ignorant of her faults and continued to idealize herself.

My problem with this is...

(a) I think it's a pretty major point that the series explicitly rejects the Prince archetype as irrelevant and limiting.  It's still useful to use in conversations, especially from an archetypical/mythological angle.  But in the sense of Utena's original expressed quest to find/become a Prince, the whole point is ultimately rendered moot.  The real world isn't a world for Princes, because there aren't any pure Princesses or evil Witches.  Just people.

(2) Utena IS doing something noble.  And it certainly seems like she's doing it for Anthy more than for herself--in comparison to her attitude before.  She is shown without any mercy that her idealistic notions about Princes and about Anthy are FALSE and she continues to struggle out of concern for Anthy and a desire to free Anthy.  On the one hand, she's right.  Anthy does need and want help.  On the other hand, it's pretty arrogant to assume you know what's best for someone else--which Utena has been doing the whole time and seems to continue doing.  On the other other hand, is that what Utena's really doing when she struggles to the door?  She doesn't say "I still want to save you," she says "The only time I've ever been really happy is when I was with you."  She DOES say, "I came to save you", but she ALSO says, "I came to meet you" and "at last we meet."  But the most major thing about Utena that leaves me ambivalent regarding her motives are her very last words.  They're understandable in her position, but seem like a major step backwards, "I guess I couldn't become a Prince after all."  Well, she thinks she's failed, somewhat understandably.  But so does Akio.  Which means Utena doesn't really understand Anthy all that much better in the end than Akio does.  They are both still putting Anthy into molds that don't necessarily fit.  Now this could be a plot point because it's ultimately up to Anthy to decide who Anthy is and what Anthy is going to do (stay or go).  But it always comes to mind during these discussions.

She's not evil, though.  Just not perfect.  Which I wouldn't want, personally; I like that Utena still has faults at the end.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#57 | Back to Top10-31-2007 07:23:02 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

To be totally honest, I don't find any of the characters to be evil, as in OMGULTIMATEBOSSMONSTEROMG. I think the problem with this type of a thread is that it lacks definition. What are we calling evil? Are we calling Tsuwabuki's invasions of personal privacy evil? Does that, then mean that Akio's manipulations are any less evil? Lacking perspective and a context makes it harder to me.

But part of that is because I personally don't find any of the characters to be evil, even Akio. To me, there's a certain amount of self-awareness to a person before they're evil. But wait, you say. Akio and Touga and Anthy certainly are aware of the fact that what they're doing is wrong. Yes, but they've also deluded themselves into believeing that while it might be bad in short run, in the end it will all pay off and everything will be rosy. There's a fine line there, but it's there, in my opinion. Again to me, there is a certain willingness to destroy things and cause pain, but when you do it despite knowing better, and for absolutly no other reason then to cause pain, that's when it's a little murkier. Akio causes pain to cause pain, yes, but he also does it because, let's see it, he gets off on it -does that mean someone into sado-masachism is evil because they enjoy pain? If he were out to cause pain without a second thought to his personal desires and needs, then I would probably consider him more evil. Sure he enjoys it, but I think he just enjoys the self-congratulation of himself more.But then again, if he were out to be evil just for the sake of evil, he's be a lot more two dimensional. And we wouldn't have TLLOM, probably. Touga and Ruka cause pain, but personally, I think they feel bad about it and attempt to push it away or justify it. They know that what they've done is right, but because they believe that they're doing it to better a situation, it isn't neccessarily evil.

Intentions, both honorably and otherwise are a big part of the characterizations in Utena. It's their intentions that allow them so much dimension, and the reason they cause so much conflict and love amongst fans. Unlike so many other animes or even many fiction series, they are flawed. They have intentions both well-meant and not so. Because of those intentions, I find it hard to call any particular character evil. Misguided, hurtful, wrathful, angry, scared, and stupid as fuck, certainly. But evil, I think is stretching, and too strong, singular and defining for characters that are so richly drawn. To say out and out that any one characer is evil is demeaning to the characters themselves, not to mention Ikuhara, Saito and the other writers. If we were discussing the manga, which unfortunatly is a little more traditionally shoujo, then this might be valid, but since it's the anime it just seems to to be a bit of a pointless thing.

But if we're talking about characters we personally hate, I'd have to say that it's Movie!Akio. Or Movie!Ruka because he does not exist. emot-frown  Although I'm starting to get tired of all the Shiori talk, no offense.

Edit: The spelling is atrocious, I'm sorry, but I'm tired and in a hurry.

Last edited by morosemocha (10-31-2007 07:24:49 PM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#58 | Back to Top11-01-2007 07:44:38 PM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

It really depends on how you define "evil." Under my own preferred categorization, a "good" person is willing to make personal sacrifices for others, while an "evil" person is willing to sacrifice others for personal gain. That's pretty much what our moral zeitgeist boils down to in the end.

All things considered, most of the SKU cast are just like real people: Shades of grey. They all have their own selfish motivations but they also show moments of genuine altruism from time to time.

The exceptions, of course, are the central symbolic characters. Dios is pure, selfless good. Of course, not even a godlike prince can last very long while fighting to save the world from itself. Akio is about as close to pure evil as you can get, but as others have mentioned, it's not his fault, and he still has some very "human" qualities. Anthy is a special case-- I'm really not sure if it was more her love or her selfishness that robbed the world of its Prince, so I'm on the fence about her.

And finally, we come to Utena. Is she evil? Hell, no. I'd go as far to say that she is the most noble, caring, selfless character in the series next to Dios himself. Is she naive and misguided? Sure. Does she butt into other people's business and try to fix their problems? Definitely. But she's always trying to help, and never intentionally harms anyone. And while it might come across as selfish for her to chase her rather unrealistic dream of becoming a prince, that's a shortsighted criticism in itself, in my opinion. In the SKU universe, a prince represents a noble savior and a paragon of virtue. I don't think you can possibly be considered"selfish" to want to become a selfless hero, even if you stumble along the way.

In short, Utena is a sweetheart and needs a hug. etc-love

That's my opinion, anyway. I could be wrong.

Board footer