This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#526 | Back to Top06-15-2015 07:35:46 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Re: Fans of Le Television

I just hope beyond all hope that the next book won't be a long-winded retelling of what happened in the show. That's quite unlikely, fortunately, if we go by the fact that some vital players aren't even at their show locations, and while Martin gets unrealistic with distances, it's still nowhere near the teleporters they have in the show (Westeros is a CONTINENT, ffs!). Having stuff deviate so much from the books is such a weird feeling, most of the time it was so out there that I didn't really mind the changes. Except what they did to Dorne...That is unforgivable. But the show people love Dany and her scenes in the last ep were awesome, so there...
[
And they practically ruined my favorite character in the show. Stannis wasn't a darling in the books either but he was a much much more complex and likable character, even if he didn't have touching fatherly moments with Shireen. He had a stoic, steadfast loyalty to her, they both understood that, and in a way I liked that relationship more, it made much more sense for the characters. Melissandre was also more complex in the books, I'd dare say. I feel like they reduced her to a sexy Red Witch of the West character to spook little girls, when her arc in the books deals with her fanatical mindset in a realistic and unbiased way.
]

#527 | Back to Top06-15-2015 12:23:04 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

I'm kind of an obsessive Masterchef Australia fan, am watching season 7 etc-love

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#528 | Back to Top06-22-2015 06:49:07 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Fuck you for cancelling Hannibal. NBC.

I get that ratings were not the best, but this is yet another example of a quality program falling away. It happened with Kings as well.

Don't complain about the lack of audience. FIND the audience.

I'm tired of the lowest common denominator of television outlasting the gold.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#529 | Back to Top06-22-2015 07:13:55 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Hannibal at least got three seasons. Kings only got one. TV tragedy if ever I saw one.

#530 | Back to Top06-22-2015 08:18:27 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Maybe Netflix or Hulu will pick it up for another season. It worked for Arrested Development and The Mindy Project.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#531 | Back to Top06-23-2015 12:11:51 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I will be sad if no one picks it up, but apparently the rights issue with Clarice was a factor. I hope prospective networks look past that.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#532 | Back to Top06-23-2015 12:29:11 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

On one hand, I'm pissed NBC cut it out, it was basically free content for them because they're not the primary funding, and while ratings were low, they have no business bitching about low ratings on a summer season television show, given five years ago that wasn't even a thing. They fucked themselves contracting to Amazon, so they missed the word of mouth Netflix crowd, they kept forgetting all their promises for badass merchandise, and have repeated undermarketed the show.

Hannibal was clearly not a fit for NBC. It doesn't remotely fit their demo, and pushed the boundaries of what content it could get away with. That's why it should have stayed, it was a critical darling, daring, and could have been the pebble that starts an avalanche of cable-quality programming on the main networks. Though no where NEAR the level of Hannibal, NBC similarly had a false start in this direction with Dracula.

On the other hand, I'm so used to being grossly disappointed by networks, that NBC having given Hannibal three seasons is still something to be impressed about. It hung in there, when no one would have been shocked to see it get canned earlier. I'm not at all surprised this is the last season, if Fuller wanted to bring in Clarice next season. There was no way that was going to happen, and I think he knew that, hence the Dolarhyde story arc being in this one. (And his new involvement in the American Gods show.) At the end of the day, this has been an absolutely amazing series, and got more mileage than anyone expected. I think it's going to go out with a blaze of glory, and I know I'm going to be rewatching it for years to come, and still finding new things in it. It's been an age since I've watched something so beautifully crafted, and so devoted to detail.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#533 | Back to Top07-06-2015 03:45:02 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

If I find Dorian's plotline at the end of this season of Penny Dreadful to be like stupidly arousing, am I broken?

Yes. I am broken.

[Seriously, she makes him kneel, bites his fucking ear off, and then they dance in blood stained white??? FUCK]

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#534 | Back to Top07-20-2015 11:06:30 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

I didn't know I had a BattleBots shaped hole in my soul until this year.

I have untold amounts of joy watching it again.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#535 | Back to Top08-30-2015 07:01:21 PM

mistspinner
Ohtori Paramouri

So...Hannibal.

Oh my poor, abused heart, Hannibal.

#536 | Back to Top08-30-2015 09:38:23 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

mistspinner wrote:

So...Hannibal. Oh my poor, abused heart, Hannibal.

emot-aaa
Holy crap. They certainly went out with a bang.
So, how did you interpret [Dr DuMaurier's auto-cannibalism scene at the end? Did she do it to herself somehow, or is Dr Lecter still alive and noshing]?
I'm sad that we won't be seeing any more, but it's a minor miracle that we got to see as much as we did.
AND OMG bonus Siouxie song! emot-gonk

Also, agree with G on Penny Dreadful. Everything about that season was just beautiful. Sucks to be you, Dr Frankenstein!

Last edited by purplepolecat (08-30-2015 09:44:53 PM)

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#537 | Back to Top08-31-2015 01:59:33 PM

Enea
Juri Jeerer

About Hannibal:
[Actually, Fuller confirmed that this is not auto-cannibalism but Hannibal and Will's work - table is set for three, one side is taken by camera. emot-wink It's apparent when you read the script, it should be somewhere on his Twitter.]
I'm really satisfied with the ending of the series. It was a delightful journey. etc-love

#538 | Back to Top09-19-2015 02:25:05 PM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Have added Wander Over Yonder to my weekly cartoon yumminess, alongside Steven Universe.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i232/YamPuff/im%20holllowz_zpsx9ddh2gp.png~original

#539 | Back to Top10-02-2015 08:58:23 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Catching up on Doctor Who, and I'm on the three-part finale for Season 8.

Missy is proof that Moffat is aware of the fandom. She's pretty much the perfect storm of things we've fanwanked about without giving us exactly what we wanted. We asked for a female Doctor, we get[ a female Time Lord. We staunchly believe that Mary Poppins is a Time Lord, Missy dresses like Mary Poppins. We always thought that Time Lords could pick their gender presentation during regeneration, now we know they can. Also, that kiss scene was for all of the Doctor/Master shippers].

So, this is the only point Moffat will ever earn with me during his tenure as showrunner. I also have a weird appreciation for the fact that Missy [looks vaguely like the first two Masters and acts like the most recent one].

#540 | Back to Top10-03-2015 12:48:06 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

China has cracked down on (well, illegal) streaming of Japanese and Korean shows, so my randomly waking up super late today wanting to watch Prosecutor Princess will go unfulfilled. Why don't I own a copy of my favorite tv show from the last five years (or more)?

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#541 | Back to Top10-12-2015 11:51:57 PM

Sparky
Touga Topper

My friend got me into American Horror Story, we watched like all of the second season in a day emot-aaa

I won't say it's amazing or anything but as a big fan of horror it's pretty entertaining at least.

Last edited by Sparky (10-12-2015 11:53:46 PM)

#542 | Back to Top10-13-2015 02:04:19 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Sparky wrote:

My friend got me into American Horror Story, we watched like all of the second season in a day emot-aaa

I won't say it's amazing or anything but as a big fan of horror it's pretty entertaining at least.

I'm probably going to check it out sooner or later because I've heard Gaga's in the new season. I'm really not sure what to make of that, but I like her music, sooooo....

Apart from the new season I don't really have a reason to watch, and that makes me feel vaguely guilty due to my fairly decided preference for horror. Is there any specific episode you think gives a good overview of the series? Something I could watch to determine whether this is worth my time?

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#543 | Back to Top10-13-2015 12:00:24 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

YamPuff wrote:

I'm kind of an obsessive Masterchef Australia fan, am watching season 7 etc-love

I watch virtually all cooking shows and this is one of my favorite. And no, sadly, I cannot cook to save myself.

I-ve been watching some currently airing KBS drama series, namely,

The Slave Hunters
I appreciate the less than refined MC who has little qualms with hunting down runaway slaves (although not entirely, at times he does rescue the occasional kid), it is not something Korean drama has all that much. The action is fine, the historical elements fits in well and for once the love triangle is interesting albeit still the least good part of it all. Great acting all around, as usual, it does overdo the flashback montage motif but unfortunately that is all too common to the genre.

All Is Well
This series manages to include all the very annoying K-drama tropes I dislike so much. The highly unlikely coincidences, the poor rich boys, the plotting girl who has a heart of gold down deep, the naive main girl with her romantic dreams, and there is a hot model guy who also serves as little brother to the plotting girl. Urgh. Add the mandatory love triangle, the cringing overreacting, the silly dotting dad and comic relief couple that acts 15 despite being in their 20's and you are all set for a frustrating watching experience.
I picked this up because there is a restaurant involved and I was hoping for some delicious Korean cooking but so far there has been precious little of that.

The Virtual Bride
This one just finished airing but I just started watching it. I have mixed feelings about this one, at times it does get funny, the failed Idol singer who has to take part in a reality show in which she joins a traditional family as a fake daughter-in-law to a tyrant lady, does provide a few chuckles but the series becomes unintentionally depressing. The actual daughter-in-law, married to a downbeat second son, is so exploited by the evil lady and made to literally slave away every day that you end up truly feeling for her. And when she finally gets a job offer, and a good one, too, only to have the mother-in-law sabotage it, one feels like poisoning the old lady.
All the verbal abuse, constant humiliation and down-putting, it is simply not funny but truly sad and unfair. I expect that the old lady will have an epiphany and realize how horrible her conduct has been but I am not sure I want to stick around long enough for that.
Then there are the entirely spineless men who follow their dictatorial mothers' every whim even if that means treating their wives like garbage. I know there is plenty of social satire going on but the series cannot balance that tone with the slapstick thing approach.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (10-13-2015 12:01:14 PM)

#544 | Back to Top10-13-2015 12:41:32 PM

Sparky
Touga Topper

Yasha wrote:

Apart from the new season I don't really have a reason to watch, and that makes me feel vaguely guilty due to my fairly decided preference for horror. Is there any specific episode you think gives a good overview of the series? Something I could watch to determine whether this is worth my time?

The main reason to watch is because it's full of dozens of absolutely amazing female actors with roles far more interesting than women typically get in the horror genre. I absolutely adore Jessica Lange and it's really a shame she's not in the newest season.

The whole thing can get a bit silly and campy sometimes honestly but it's still good.

I'm not sure which episode provides the best overview, but it is an anthology series with each season being mostly unrelated to the others. You can just start at whichever season looks most interesting to you and it'll all make sense, I'd recommend you try season 2, i.e. Asylum, because that was my favorite of what I've seen so far, and from what I remember the first episode of that will probably hook you. Haven't seen seasons 1 or 5 yet though and I still haven't finished season 3 (which is about witches, so maybe it's more appropriate to recommend here emot-biggrin )

Season 4 had almost nothing supernatural going on in it though if that sounds more appealing. It's also terrifying if you're afraid of clowns.

Last edited by Sparky (10-13-2015 12:47:50 PM)

#545 | Back to Top10-14-2015 06:16:21 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Actually, my hairdresser just gushed about the new season and Gaga's part in it, so I think this is definitely going on the list of things to watch. I'll check out the first ep of season 2, as well, since you recommend that so highly! Thank you!

#546 | Back to Top10-14-2015 07:46:05 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Yasha wrote:

Actually, my hairdresser just gushed about the new season and Gaga's part in it, so I think this is definitely going on the list of things to watch. I'll check out the first ep of season 2, as well, since you recommend that so highly! Thank you!

Tread with caution if you go for Season 3, AHS: Coven. They pretty much butcher the entirety of Voodoo, but if you're one of those people that enjoy going, "Nope. That's wrong. So is that. That, too. Where the hell did they get that from?", you may be okay.

#547 | Back to Top10-14-2015 11:43:00 PM

Sparky
Touga Topper

Oh yeah, I don't even really know anything about real voodoo and even I could tell how completely fictionalized their portrayal of it is. Their portrayal of witchcraft also comes across more like superpowers than anything as well to be honest, if that makes sense.

It's also not even close to scary so it's definitely my least favorite of the three seasons I've seen so far, but I still enjoyed it.

#548 | Back to Top10-19-2015 03:15:16 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I know a bit about voodoo, but I'm not afraid of bad portrayals so I'll be fine. Gonna give this a shot once we get home from New Orleans (where I expect to attend a(nother) voodoo ritual).

#549 | Back to Top10-19-2015 11:04:43 AM

Yams
Nest Boxer

Watching Kill la Kill

Wow. The Student Council president is like Juri on hella steroids.

EDIT: I don't know if I like this series. emot-mad

Last edited by YamPuff (10-19-2015 12:41:17 PM)

#550 | Back to Top10-19-2015 06:35:35 PM

Sparky
Touga Topper

YamPuff wrote:

Wow. The Student Council president is like Juri on hella steroids.

Remind you of anything?

Board footer