This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#76 | Back to Top09-18-2013 04:03:52 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: New Utena stuff

cscratch wrote:

Either way, I'd be happy to help chip in a few bucks for something that needs to get into the gallery etc-love

Oh, you tease. Seriously don't because I just bought a shiny new scanner for Dallbun's doujin collection he's letting me butcher, and I'm about to move to a more expensive host so I can put new stuff up in the gallery. I will take your money to buy this damned thing. emot-keke I already saw in your pics a ton of production art I don't have, an artwork image I don't have, and the cel images are god damn sexy.

Alas right now the only ones on Y!J are over 130bux. Which is a little much when one went a few days ago for 100. I'm worried that might be the availability waning but since no one's bid on any of these more expensive ones, I'm guessing a cheaper copy will pop up.

As for the binding, that does look pretty much like BS. I'll end up butchering it if I get it. Historically I've done so because Japanese artbooks have this annoying habit of putting one image on two pages and then having it run right into the blasted binding. emot-mad

Also apparently I value having copies on my computer more than having collectibles. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#77 | Back to Top09-18-2013 06:00:03 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Is it going to sound terrible if I say that I've reached the end of the line for me? I'm going to keep hunting cheap copies of the hardback artbooks but financially and practically... I'm done. I'm looking forward- oh god, I am- to getting the glasses and cups that I've ordered, but no more after this. No more. I'd love to get my hands on a copy of these new books but I'm not going to pay for them. I'm done.

And now I feel like less of a Utena fan.

#78 | Back to Top09-18-2013 08:18:37 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Hun, if it helps any, as much as I'm oohing at ahhing at the swag, I'll probably not buy any of it unless it's for the site.

I'm a terrible fan, too.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#79 | Back to Top09-18-2013 10:38:12 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

crystalwren, the swag doesn't make the fan. I'd love those glasses myself, but I'm probably not going to get them because $$$ need to be spent elsewhere. I'm not really good at collecting paraphernalia; the only reason we buy what we do is because of the site.

That doesn't mean we love the show any less, any of us!

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#80 | Back to Top09-19-2013 12:01:51 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yeah I might be a horrible racist and a rape apologist, but I don't think anyone can accuse me of not being an SKU fan. emot-biggrin

#81 | Back to Top09-19-2013 10:19:23 AM

cscratch
Anthy Assailer
Website

Whew - okay!  I finished posting Part II of the Animation Book and the Illustration book, so it's complete!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13638589@N00/sets/

Yeah swag, I can't keep up.  I'd really love to have the doll and the locket, but I think I might be tapped out for merch for myself for the time being.

#82 | Back to Top09-20-2013 04:01:13 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

#83 | Back to Top10-12-2013 12:07:36 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

My Celga order arrived. I'm not going to post pictures because the only camera I have right now is my mobile phone and it is epically craptacular. A couple things of interest: Aside from the colour accents, the tumblers are frosted, not painted, meaning that they're rather better quality than I expected. All the photos of the tea cups I've seen have been iron grey; the ones I've received are black and are very striking. All in all, it probably wasn't worth the $160 odd dollars I spent, but I'm very glad to have them. The packaging on the tea cups was a bit dodgy for international postage though, keep that in mind.

As for Celga, it was quite easy to deal with. I joined up, gave links to the items I was after. I paid a commission fee and a deposit on the spot, and when the items were bought I paid for them in full. I also paid two sets of shipping: shipping within Japan and shipping outside of it. All in all I paid more in commissions and postage than I paid for the items. So keep that in mind if you chose to go through them.

I'm going to use one of my tea cups tomorrow, for Sunday tea. I don't have a rose scented tea but I do have a violet scented one that'll serve.

EDIT: It didn't cost me $169 USD; it cost me $202 USD.

Breakdown:

Items = $89
Bank fee = $2
Shipping in JP = $10
Currency fee = $10
Consignment fee = $22
Postage to AU = $69

All these fees and hoops for two tea cups and a box of glasses. Ouch.

Last edited by crystalwren (10-12-2013 03:10:11 PM)

#84 | Back to Top10-12-2013 08:57:26 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

...I'd still do it. We just have stuff that's necessary for the site to spend our money on instead emot-frown

Maybe someday. emot-frown

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#85 | Back to Top10-17-2013 06:30:15 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm completely tapped out, but if anyone wants this, it'll probably be the only shot you'll get at it:

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a … r106932044

It's the rose garden necklace, 4/100 run. It is fucking gorgeous and I'd kill for it, but limits and all. emot-gonk

#86 | Back to Top10-28-2013 12:00:43 PM

girlyponce
New Student

Ugh. I need this new Art Book. emot-gonk

I was lucky and got the Bara No Zenbo Art Book pretty cheaply (and signed by Chiho Saito & Kunihiko Ikuhara) Does the Hardcore of Utena have new art?

"Bring it, you little girly ponce!"

#87 | Back to Top10-29-2013 04:32:12 AM

Pratyeka
Tenjou Tilter

I stopped by the Animate in Shinjuku today, and they have a (small) Utena and Penguindrum section! They also have at least one Black Rose seal in the glass case at the front with the super cool/more expensive stuff.
(Pratyeka: Excuse me, that's - uh - an Utena thing, right?
Shopkeeper: Haha, yes, it is.
Pratyeka: Thanks. So uh...what Utena thing is it?
Shopkeeper: Oh! Um...a black rose ring.
Pratyeka: emot-aaa  )

Anyway, I took a couple pictures. I also bought the teacup and saucer set, which as crystalwren mentioned, are black and gorgeous as well as relatively affordable at a little under 1,600 yen for the set. I thought I would buy the locket if they had it, but it turned out to be kind of...big. I had wanted to wear it now and then, but it's more display-size upon seeing it in person. The music box, on the other hand, was kind of small compared to what I expected, they're in the 2 boxes to the right of the 6-glass set for size comparison. They also had the hair scrunchie, as well as such Penguindrum merch as a Himari train pass case, the folder (with clear plastic paper sleeves inside) in the picture, some key-chains and handkerchiefs and etc. All the Utena merchandise sold for roughly the same prices on the movic site. I don't know much about the best ways of sending packages overseas, but if anyone wants anything, I'm happy to send it at-cost including shipping, as long as demand isn't crazy.

http://imageshack.us/a/img201/6559/fzqu.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img132/158/m4dm.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img708/5112/eub1.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img820/315/io55.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img692/761/0k2y.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img849/8061/hqy0.jpg

Last edited by Pratyeka (10-29-2013 04:36:30 AM)

#88 | Back to Top10-29-2013 07:52:22 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

OMG that cup is gorgeously stylish etc-love and the black rose ring...

OK! time to finally go and sell that kidney on Ebay! Who needs two anyway? emot-biggrin

#89 | Back to Top10-29-2013 09:18:50 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

I am VERY interested in the new rose signets released this year. Let me know prices, Patyeka.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#90 | Back to Top10-29-2013 02:14:18 PM

cscratch
Anthy Assailer
Website

Oooo those look awesome!  @Pratyeka:  Thanks so much for pics & the first hand account!  It's really hard know what the relative sizes are for some of this stuff; the size of the music box is much smaller than I expected.

I would really like to pick up one of the black duelist rings, but I'm wary about the coating typically placed on the ring to make it black & just the quality in general.  I ended up picking up one of the old ones a while ago, and though the construction was super solid & nice (sterling silver as far as I could tell), the coating pretty much wore off within a few wearings of it.  I only ended up pulling it out a few times to wear for special occasions before it just looked like a dirty version of the regular duelist ring.

Has anyone purchased the one of the new black rose rings yet or gotten to examine one?

#91 | Back to Top10-29-2013 11:53:22 PM

jmie5
Precious One

Snow wrote:

OMG that cup is gorgeously stylish etc-love and the black rose ring...

OK! time to finally go and sell that kidney on Ebay! Who needs two anyway? emot-biggrin

Black rose ring, where? o___o  Sorry, I've been to the site, I just.... am having issues.  Does anyone have a link or picture or could point me in the right direction?  (... I sort of have a signet addiction, now.)

#92 | Back to Top10-30-2013 01:02:04 AM

Pratyeka
Tenjou Tilter

Ashnod wrote:

I am VERY interested in the new rose signets released this year. Let me know prices, Patyeka.

The black signet they had in-store had no noted price in the display case, but judging from the other items in the shop, it will be the same as the list price, which is 12,600 yen (currently translates to ~$128). If there's real interest, I can check on both that and if they have or can get the normal signet rings. There's also the chance that one of the other Animate shop locations has them in-store, and I can ask about that as well if anyone wants. Last time I was in the Ikebukuro one it had no Utena merchandise, but maybe we've hit the Utena resurgence! (haha) I was thinking of looking for the tea, myself, since I didn't see it in Shinjuku.

cscratch: I know what you mean, I was really glad I could see the sizes before buying. The locket, especially, is something I had really planned on getting until I saw how big it was. emot-gonk
Since the black signet is very well-packaged and behind a glass case, I wasn't able to ask to have a look at it like I could with the other products, so if anyone has experience/pictures of the signet(s) I would love to hear about it as well.

jmie5, I think the site everyone is talking about is probably http://www.movic.jp/info/utena/ ...That's where I check the pricing info, anyway. Is that the one you've seen?

ETA: I just had a thought RE: the artbook discussion at the top of the page. I think I mentioned a while back that I bought the Utena/Penguindrum World of Kunihiko Ikuhara Exhibition artbook when I went earlier this year, but I'm working with a laptop and an iPhone as my means of sharing images here, so did anyone know if  A) Ohtori.nu/the internet has another source of these images, B) The images are new (or not) and thus need to be shared, or C) I should get to uploading iPhone pictures of what I have somewhere?

Last edited by Pratyeka (10-30-2013 01:18:43 AM)

#93 | Back to Top10-30-2013 01:38:09 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I bought that book on Celga with my ill gotten donation funds. emot-smile It's still in the warehouse in Japan, but I'll be getting it and butchering it soon, so no worries about photos!

As far as I can tell it's mostly stuff in the gallery already, but there were a few things for sure new. Also I'll scan the Penguindrum pages for it.

#94 | Back to Top10-30-2013 03:03:14 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

The Hard Core of Utena has made an appearance on eBay. For three hundred US dollars. Jesus fuck. Nice work if you can get it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C84-Revolutiona … 3386db0adb

#95 | Back to Top10-30-2013 03:07:20 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ugh. It's regularly going for about 150 on Yahoo Japan anyway. emot-frown

I also have that at the Celga warehouse. I'm just waiting for one more doujinshi to arrive there and then they can ship out.

Also it seems to be missing the smaller white book. And the bag. A lot of them came with bags.

#96 | Back to Top10-30-2013 03:19:17 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

I didn't get any bags either. Might be a postal thing. Just found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Utena-Tenjou-Re … 58a64c9291

It's been a while since it was available, let alone moderately affordable. etc-love Not going to buy it, though. I had four different parcels arrive for me today. I've managed to clear most of my 'crap I don't need' folder, but I think I've been rather over doing it lately...

#97 | Back to Top10-31-2013 05:07:16 AM

Pratyeka
Tenjou Tilter

Giovanna wrote:

I bought that book on Celga with my ill gotten donation funds. emot-smile

Good to know!

I was searching for pictures of the black rose signet and found this site: http://getnews.jp/archives/410145
I'm pretty sure they're the same pictures as on the movic sites, but much larger. Ring quality looks nice, but I'm not sure it's $130 nice. YMMV, though.

#98 | Back to Top10-31-2013 10:44:04 AM

cscratch
Anthy Assailer
Website

Thanks for the signet pics!  That is different from what I was expecting, but it does look sturdy at least & the black coating definitely looks different as well.

As far as the locket, several years ago I snagged one of the original lockets on Y!J (God, I am such a hoarder) and I measured it today.  The original one is 1 & 1/4" tall, 3/4" wide, 1/4" deep.  It definitely looks like Movic has reworked the signet designs, so I guess it stands to reason they'd rework the locket as well.  If it's larger than the original (which, handling this seems like about the 'right' size), I can see how that would be a little offputting.  Just in case, here's a crummy pick in relation to my hand for size reference:

http://kittyfire.com/img/jurilocket.jpg

Probably going to just have buy it to find out.  Even though I should not be considering buying anything else Utena related this year...  ARGH!

#99 | Back to Top10-31-2013 11:42:43 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Pratyeka wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

I bought that book on Celga with my ill gotten donation funds. emot-smile

Good to know!

I was searching for pictures of the black rose signet and found this site: http://getnews.jp/archives/410145
I'm pretty sure they're the same pictures as on the movic sites, but much larger. Ring quality looks nice, but I'm not sure it's $130 nice. YMMV, though.

That isn't nearly as nice as the Rightstuf rings, which were essentially free with the purchase of all three DVD sets.

#100 | Back to Top11-01-2013 12:02:45 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

I do not, not, not need to buy the Hard Core of Utena. I do not.

Board footer