This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-07-2009 07:25:24 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Craziest things Ikuni has said about Utena

....I found a site here: http://www.fansview.com/2002/april2002/042702a.htm

....Utena's hair being spring loaded was one of the funnier off-the wall things I've heard from him. Also, that is one sexy man. He can flirt with big ol' me any time. emot-redfaceemot-biggrinemot-danceschool-devil

...what are some of the more off the wall things that Ikuni-sama has said about Utena.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#2 | Back to Top01-07-2009 08:39:06 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Re: Craziest things Ikuni has said about Utena

I remember something like, the guy asked what ChuChu was, and Ikuhara was like "...He's my friend. :D "

#3 | Back to Top01-07-2009 08:58:01 PM

Coco Melancholy
Framed Landscaper

And he tries not to have a favorite character, saying it limits his artistic judgment if he plays favorites

Interesting since I heard that Shiori was his favourite character.....hmmmm

#4 | Back to Top01-08-2009 06:57:47 PM

brian
Atlantean Singer

And I thought that Saito said that Anthy's dark skin was HER idea.emot-confused

#5 | Back to Top01-08-2009 11:41:50 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Coco Melancholy wrote:

And he tries not to have a favorite character, saying it limits his artistic judgment if he plays favorites

Interesting since I heard that Shiori was his favourite character.....hmmmm

I think I've heard Nanami before.

I really don't trust a word these people say, no. D:

#6 | Back to Top01-09-2009 11:02:11 AM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper

Ikuni said:
"I think fans are pretty much the same anywhere, but I think there are more Japanese fans who try to read a lot into Utena. There are fans who try to explain show in ways that are hard to understand. Obviously they know more about the show than I do."

There you have it! Proof that he's just trolling and that we've all been duped!

Cedric X Orube: Finally a pairing I can adore!

#7 | Back to Top01-09-2009 12:31:34 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

It must be some sort of mutual agreement between the people that worked on SKU to change the story every time. school-devil

#8 | Back to Top01-09-2009 12:52:17 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

"Roses are really hard to draw."  Re: discussing crafting the dance scene in the movie. Of all the things to say about that scene, and he goes on about how hard it was to get the roses differentiated in the rose field!

20 threads dead so far.

#9 | Back to Top01-10-2009 12:00:39 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Ikuni knows perfectly well that if he actually told us what he meant we would lose interest.  emot-wink  So he lies.  And then sometimes he tells the truth just to screw with us.  That's my theory anyway.  Consider that he delivered the following answers in the same interview:

Q: Ikuhara-san, Chiho Saito has said that you have never told her the truth about it, could you explain the significance of Mickey and his stopwatch. What exactly is his role on the Council?

A: It has a very deep significance. His stopwatch contains the key to open all the mysteries of the world. And Mickey is the only one who knows that. So I don't know what it is either.

Q: You've said before that you're most like Chu-Chu. If Chu-Chu is a representation of Akio (be that his youth or his grasp on Anthy) does that mean you're actually more like Akio? Could you see yourself as a villain?

A: The first part of the question: Yes. the character I'm most like in Utena is Chu-Chu. And I don't think Chu-Chu is a representation of Akio, but since Anthy likes Akio Chu-Chu probably wears a necktie so that he can resemble Akio. So in the last episode, when Anthy leaves Akio, Chu-Chu takes off his necktie and returns it to Akio.

The first is nonsensical; the second, whether it's true or not, is possible and worth debating.  So that's Ikuni for you.

#10 | Back to Top01-10-2009 12:37:58 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I actually pondered on that reply when I first saw that response about Miki and the stopwatch <_<
But you know, it does have a ring to it. Someone before did mention that time flow has a significant role in Ohtori as being non-existent, and having a stop-watch that is supposed to move forward in time would symbolize the desire to break the eggshell of Ohtori. would it not?

#11 | Back to Top01-10-2009 11:07:19 AM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

But (almost) everytime we see Miki with the watch, he's stopping it. A regular watch moves forward in time, a stopwatch freezes time. The only time I can think of where Miki let's the watch run is in Episode 38, while Utena's duel is occuring. (And then it's Tsuwabuki who uses the stop function in the final scenes of 39.)

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#12 | Back to Top01-10-2009 12:38:56 PM

P.D.M.
Touga Topper

satyreyes wrote:

Ikuni knows perfectly well that if he actually told us what he meant we would lose interest.  emot-wink  So he lies.  And then sometimes he tells the truth just to screw with us.  That's my theory anyway.  Consider that he delivered the following answers in the same interview:

Q: Ikuhara-san, Chiho Saito has said that you have never told her the truth about it, could you explain the significance of Mickey and his stopwatch. What exactly is his role on the Council?

A: It has a very deep significance. His stopwatch contains the key to open all the mysteries of the world. And Mickey is the only one who knows that. So I don't know what it is either.

Q: You've said before that you're most like Chu-Chu. If Chu-Chu is a representation of Akio (be that his youth or his grasp on Anthy) does that mean you're actually more like Akio? Could you see yourself as a villain?

A: The first part of the question: Yes. the character I'm most like in Utena is Chu-Chu. And I don't think Chu-Chu is a representation of Akio, but since Anthy likes Akio Chu-Chu probably wears a necktie so that he can resemble Akio. So in the last episode, when Anthy leaves Akio, Chu-Chu takes off his necktie and returns it to Akio.

The first is nonsensical; the second, whether it's true or not, is possible and worth debating.  So that's Ikuni for you.

Wait, is there anything to this Chu- Chu~Akio thing?

Cedric X Orube: Finally a pairing I can adore!

#13 | Back to Top02-17-2009 07:39:28 PM

Haku Vinevaldi
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

lol..
i think the funniest thing is that in every commentary between each word he goes..

"uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

"here uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh anthy uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh roses uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh chuchu"

lol, i like his hair though....

#14 | Back to Top02-19-2009 02:17:29 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

The craziest thing is when he said, "The Shadow Girls are from the Planet Kashira. They're my friends."

Oh wait, that's probably one of the more sensible things. XD

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#15 | Back to Top02-19-2009 02:52:07 PM

Leroy
Eternal Castellan
Website

I wish someone had taken a transcript of when I was at that convention and I got to interview him in person, his desire to not answer anything directly was a huge source of amusement to me (and thusly made me start asking utterly ridiculous questions).

~ Dreaming of my Fire Flower ~

Board footer