This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-14-2008 03:59:29 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

Casting Call: Anime Insider's Picks for a Live Action SKU

So I got my newest issue of AI today. As I was reading it, I stumbled upon the usual casting call page.

OMG!!!

SKU!!!

Though I disagree with some of their picks, you know that I just had to post them here :tongue:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Scarlett Johansson as Utena Tenjou

Artical: Can Johansson go from Girl with a Pearl Earring to girl with a rose crest ring? Utena is a bold woman and a strong protector who stands up for her friend Anthy's personal freedom. Scarlett's got the spunk to take this part.

BRV's opinion: Nah. Pick someone else. Simple as that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. Parminder Nagra as Anthy

Artical: Nagra might have to tone it down from the activist she played in Ella Enchanted, but she's got the control to do so from her stint as Viola in a TV adaptation of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night.

BRV's opinion: This could work, perhaps.

3. Kristin Bell as Juri

Artical: Bell's exstensive experience in high school dramas like Vironica Mars and Gossip Girl combined with her prim looks and witty tongue to make her a lock to play Juri, the top duelist with a dark secret.

BRV's opinion: Well, if you just can't find anyone better, I suppose she would do.

4. Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Touga Kiryuu <------- ((Didn't we cast him as Saionji once before? <_<))

Artical: Who better to play the cruel playboy with the gorgerously long red hair than the sexy star of Vanity Fair, which even gave him a familiarity with a sword? No one, that's who.

BRV's opinion: Uh....undecided.... Meh.

5. Sendhil Ramamurthy as Akio

Actical: Smart is sexy -- and the devious mastermind villain Akio is both, using his charms agaist even Utena herself. Heroes' Ramamurthy displays his own brains as scientist Mohinder.

BRV's opinion: HELLZ FRICKIN' YEAH!!!

I felt slighted when they didn't have picks for Saionji, Miki, Nanami, and Wakaba, but how could they not have included Chu-Chu?!?!?!?!?! Unforgivable!!! >.< >.< >.<

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#2 | Back to Top10-14-2008 04:49:49 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Re: Casting Call: Anime Insider's Picks for a Live Action SKU

Pssh. Chu Chu will probably be done via CGI.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#3 | Back to Top10-14-2008 05:43:37 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

5. Sendhil Ramamurthy as Akio

Actical: Smart is sexy -- and the devious mastermind villain Akio is both, using his charms agaist even Utena herself. Heroes' Ramamurthy displays his own brains as scientist Mohinder.

Who called it?

I called it.

Fuck yeah.

cool

[And also etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love OMG OMG OMG OMG etc-love!!!!!!!!!!!!]

#4 | Back to Top10-14-2008 06:08:59 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

The majority of those are horrible picks, for one simple reason...are any of them the right age? Utena is supposed to be fourteen. I mean, you can stretch it a bit, but Scarlett playing a 14-year-old would still seem pretty unrealistic. And her onscreen persona is not compatible in the least with Utena. It seems more like they took random Hollywood favorites and shoved them into the roles.

Although I don't know if she'd have the emotional range to do some of the roles, I could see Brittany Snow doing a decent Nanami.

http://images.broadwayworld.com/upload/16093/HS06986.jpg

Someone also brought up Ellen Page as Shiori, with which I wholeheartedly agree.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#5 | Back to Top10-14-2008 11:57:15 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Having seen Meyers in The Tudors, I agree he could probably pull off Touga, but he really does have more of an angry menacing look about him that makes him more of a natural Saionji. Or I'm crazy for connecting the whore king with Saionji before Touga. Just something about how the character is presented in the show, probably.

As for Sendhil Ramamurthy, if the forum were The Colbert Report, there would be balloons and lights flashing because we totally called it. cool

Edit: Someone spam pictures so I can look at his glorious ass some more. etc-wankgirl

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top10-15-2008 12:41:51 AM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Hell yez! Who said there are no such things as miracles? Because this IS a friggin miracle! emot-dance emot-dance emot-dance
But don't make Nanami from HER. I must see, how the castle in the sky will be done! And I wonder if Akio will do his famous car jump live emot-confused

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#7 | Back to Top10-15-2008 12:52:37 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

For you, Gio.

And a little bit for me. Mmmm.

#8 | Back to Top10-15-2008 06:28:35 AM

Marin
ex-was_ohtori_akio
Website

I call Anne Hathaway as either Utena or Juri! How awesome would that be?

Picutres of LIve Action Akio [or I like to think so ;) LoL]

www.modelmayhem.com/marin

#9 | Back to Top10-15-2008 07:14:47 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Assuming we're jacking up all the ages for various reasons, Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Keiko.

Yes, I just cast Keiko.  That one.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#10 | Back to Top10-15-2008 11:06:04 AM

IceQueenChigusa
Tenjou Tilter

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Assuming we're jacking up all the ages for various reasons, Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Keiko.

Yes, I just cast Keiko.  That one.

I just looked her up...and WOW,she would be perfect for Keiko. etc-love

#11 | Back to Top10-15-2008 02:52:43 PM

Hedgehogey
Framed Landscaper

James Mcavoy, Children of Dune's Leto Atreides 2 as Ruka. He's already played a dangerous character who uses an elaborate and risky plan to ultimately help people.

#12 | Back to Top10-16-2008 01:28:31 AM

phul
Wakaba Wrangler

Scarlett Johansson doesn't really have the right body type.  I know no one in rl is as freakishly tall and skinny as the Utena cast, but you'd have to pick somebody really lithe and athletic for Utena at least, Scarlett's beautiful but she's too curvy.

I can kind of see Anne Hathaway, for some reason though.

That aside, I really think it would be futile to make a live-action Utena (unless it's Takarazuka, of course  emot-keke), especially w/ a Hollywood cast.  Among other reasons, the characters in Utena are just too good-looking to be portrayed by real-life people.  XD

#13 | Back to Top10-17-2008 11:23:37 PM

spiralstairs
Anthy Assailer

I think unknowns would be best for Utena and Anthy. And they need to be young, otherwise the whole adolescent theme doesn't work. Parminder is too old and Scarlett doesn't look the part. They need waif, but still athletic.

Actually, I would flip Kirsten and Scarlett. Scarlett as Juri and Kirsten as Utena could work really well.

And omg! Zac Efron as Miki! emot-biggrin Except not. Lol. He and Saionji are hard to say.

Brittany Snow would make a great Nanami. Ashley Tisdale could work too. (Quiet, you. I'm a fan.)

JRM definitely does sex kitten well. He'd be an interesting Touga. emot-smile

And omg, hells to the yes on Sendhil.

Board footer