This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-05-2016 08:10:45 PM

setsujoumayu
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Finding traces of Utena in the world, even now

Long story short, I found the movie manga in a bookstore when I just so happened to casually walk in and peruse through their collection of old 90s/2000s/recent manga.

I was so happy... so, so, so happy. I think I've consumed most of what the Be-Papas team put out at this point (haven't finished the game yet). But I didn't think I'd ever be able to read the movie manga physically and in English.

The manga is also surprisingly intact.

Anyone else have an experience like this recently? (Doesn't have to be actually buying something...)

#2 | Back to Top12-05-2016 09:50:12 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: Finding traces of Utena in the world, even now

I went to a student performance competition, the other night, where they have to do a skit in a foreign language based on a play, fairytale, movie, whatever. One group did Snow White with parody lyrics set to songs from anime, including an SKU song during the witch and Snow White's final confrontation (when she makes the witch put on blazing hot metal shoes and dance). Snow White is a scary crazy I'm-not-dead bitch when she's laughing at torture and singing about it over Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#3 | Back to Top12-10-2016 12:25:01 PM

barafubuki
Mikage Mistruster

A local game cafe here in Atlanta serves a rose and almond latte called the "Utena". It is served with rose petals and an elaborate flower pattern on top (invoking the rose crest).

It is a seasonal beverage though, so I can only getting during certain times of the year.

#4 | Back to Top12-24-2016 09:52:28 PM

ShiningSanctum1
Touga Topper

Akoya Gero from Boueibu was heavily influenced by Utena. His physical design (the messy long pink hair and the clothing) is very reminiscent of her design.

Also, in "Girl Friends" the manga, there is a manga titled "Revolutionary Pretty Gurl Marriage," a mashup of Utena and Sailor Moon that features lesbian couples dressed like Sailor scouts lol!

Steven Universe also pays tribute to Utena at times.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

Board footer